Dragon 393 - Legacy of Nerath: Drive Back the Darkness

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Dragon 393
Legacy of Nerath: Drive Back the Darkness

by Jeff Morgenroth

The Flame Imperishable is dimmed, but it still burns in the hearts of Nerathi faithful.

Talk about this Article here.

AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Great article, a nice mix of fluff and crunch and I love the illustration . It's nice to see some more Legendary Boons.

My only concern is that  the feat Imperishable Destiny seems a bit strong.
My only concern is that  the feat Imperishable Destiny seems a bit strong.

On the other hand, it's a good encouragement not to take an extended rest every 5 minutes.
Great article.  This is exactly the sorta stuff I enjoy.  Very nice mix of story and mechanics and that's important if Dragon is to move forward from the super-short, crunch focused, fluff-lite 'power pack' articles. I don't hate 'em (they are what they are) but they're not really my thing.

I don't think it gets mentioned enough but the artwork for Dragon/Dungeon deserves some attention.  The artists do good work and the ezine wouldn't be the same without 'em.  It takes both writers and artists to make such a thing really shine. 

One thing I really enjoy are the sidebars placed throughout an article like this. Li'l nuggets like 'The Flame Imperishable' are a really nice touch I think.  It's like I'm learning some *extra* bit of D&D lore that I might otherwise not.  It's the lore of the game, often found in articles just like this, that thrill me the most.

Well, I could ramble on for quite a bit like this but suffice it to say, very nice work.  Hope to see more like this in Dragon.  Really, really I do ;).

/\ Art 
/\ Art
Agreed about fabulous fluff. The boons need rarities, though.

We'll see whether it survives to the compilation more or less as-is, but this has the potential to go onto my short list of favorite articles since the shift to the "short form."
Interesting with all this talk of Emperor Magroth that they don't mention his Domain of Dread, that he's a Lich, or that there -is- a descendant of Elidyr, Falon of Nenlast.

I guess they don't want PoLand to be tied too closely to the novel line.  Maybe it's like Eberron?

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I LOVE the artwork for this article. Can you tell us who the artist is?

I want to second what Artifact wrote: the artwork for the magazines has been fantastic lately. If you havn't seen the cover to Dungeon #184, check it out. Nasty ghouls fighting heros on a bridge. Great stuff. Please tell the art dept. to keep up the good work.
I LOVE the artwork for this article. Can you tell us who the artist is?

According to the article it's Sam Burley. He does pretty awesome environments, landscapes, and background.
I'm also really fond of this article. I run a homebrew PoL campaign, so anything I can find that gives good fluff -and- good crunch is really awesome. So Mad props to Jeff Morgenroth and Sam Burley for a really well put together article (also props to the editorial team is there is one).
Just another note to say that I loved this article.  While I cannot make use of it as a whole (my Nerath is already partly defined with a slightly different timeline and architectural style) the vast majority of it will see use in my current campaign.

Please publish more articles like this (in all senses - content, mix of fluff/crunch, level of quality, no typos, etc).

So… when are we getting a Domain of Dread on First Emperor Magroth the Mad?

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

i already added the 'hands of the flame kindler' boon into my game

This was a great article.  It forwarded the world plot, while the feats give some new and interesting abilities.  In my opinion the best articles like this one offer feats that are linked to the discussed fluff and alter the way the player character might behave outside of combat.  Sort of like the Dusk Elves article, or even the Dhampyr article, I liked how a Nerathi-character gains a unique play style/ roleplaying style different from other characters without making big changes to his race or class.
This was a great article.  It forwarded the world plot, while the feats give some new and interesting abilities.  In my opinion the best articles like this one offer feats that are linked to the discussed fluff and alter the way the player character might behave outside of combat.  Sort of like the Dusk Elves article, or even the Dhampyr article, I liked how a Nerathi-character gains a unique play style/ roleplaying style different from other characters without making big changes to his race or class.

Well said.

/\ Art

Interesting with all this talk of Emperor Magroth that they don't mention his Domain of Dread, that he's a Lich, or that there -is- a descendant of Elidyr, Falon of Nenlast.

I make it that the ancient Nerathi city of Darani became the focus for Magroth’s Domain of Dread and that Magroth was a necromancer and a worshipper of Orcus and is now a lich with vampiric traits (blood thirst being one) from what I read in “Mark of Nerath” - [of course this story is not finished]

The empire met its finish beneath the rending claws of a seemingly endless horde of gnolls and demons led by the mysterious “Ruler of Ruin.”  The just King Elidyr took up the imperial crown and rallied a valiant defense of Nerath, but it was not enough.  When Elidyr was slain, the Ruler of Ruin simply returned to the abyss, apparently content to leave the world in chaos.  With the central government destroyed, provincial kings banded together to defend what remained of the empire.  The remaining lords of the empire—fragmented, fearful, and desperate—fell upon one another for survival over several decades.

The “Ruler of Ruin” is a title of Yeenoghu; the mysterious leader was the albino gnoll White Ruin.  It is interesting to note that although the gnolls disbanded, after the White Ruin and King Elidyr were pulled into the abyss, that the capital remains in gnoll hands. [Dungeon 264] -

King Eothyr III opened the imperial coffers to the Society of Imperial Artificers.  His eldest son Elidyr I took over his kingdom after his death; and that Elidyr was noted for having nine sons.  These sons all fell during the Battle of Nine Sons of the War of Ruin and King Elidyr shortly thereafter was pulled into the Abyss.  I have found no other indications of any other Nerathi kings, and have always presumed the Elidyr’s line was the rightful imperial lineage having descended from the first emperor [now known as Magroth I] and the heir [Falon] would be from that linage presumable am infant of one of the sons or an unmentioned daughter. [Dungeon 364]

This article claims he [king Elidyr] took up the imperial crown and that there were other “provincial kings” which ruled the Empire’s domains.  This seems to indicate that Elidyr has a provincial king who appointed himself emperor [after the fall of the rightful emperor Aldoran?] and continued the attacks against the White Ruin until his death.

Aldoran is known to have had a young daughter and a younger son.  While the daughter’s fate is unknown, the younger son was sent away before the fall of the capital and is the maternal grandfather of Falon.  Aldoran is the name of the last Emperor of Nerath in the “Mark of Nerath”

After Magroth’s death, his wife, the eladrin empress Amphaesia held the throne before she disappeared.  There is no mention of whether she and Magroth produced an heir or if she remarried and had an heir.  It is eluded that Falon is a direct descendant of Magroth, thus ruling out separate imperial dynasties.

I guess they don't want PoLand to be tied too closely to the novel line.  Maybe it's like Eberron?

I seem to recall that with 4e all material printed by WotC would become “Official” to the PoLand {barring the canon of the separate campaign settings DS, EB, FR, and RPGA] all rules for monsters and players in other settings are 100% usable and may be allowed by the DM [RPGA is stricter and the current D&D Encounters is only using Essentials’ material.

Sign In to post comments