Push, Pull, Slide & the Gelatinous Cube

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So last session one of my players was enveloped by a Gelatinous Cube. While he was dissolving away, another player decided to slide/push the cube away with the result being that the enveloped player would stay in place, thus being freed as the Cube is slid away. As a DM, I stated that this sort of defeats the purpose of the cube's envelop and said the player would slide with the cube as essentially he is grappled and one with the Cube until he frees himself. The rules and creature description were kind of vague if not lacking in how this was suppossed to play out so I had to make a ruling. I was wondering what the actual rules are on this?
So last session one of my players was enveloped by a Gelatinous Cube. While he was dissolving away, another player decided to slide/push the cube away with the result being that the enveloped player would stay in place, thus being freed as the Cube is slid away. As a DM, I stated that this sort of defeats the purpose of the cube's envelop and said the player would slide with the cube as essentially he is grappled and one with the Cube until he frees himself. The rules and creature description were kind of vague if not lacking in how this was suppossed to play out so I had to make a ruling. I was wondering what the actual rules are on this?

A Gelatinous Cube Engulfed victim is Grabbed and Forced Movement breaks a Grab. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

This is correct RAW.

However, we use a houserule in our games...if something is grabbed/engulfed and either one is slid, the grabee gets a free escape check. If that succeeds, the grab is broken... 

By strict RAW that's true. Still, I reckon that the writer's had intended something like say, the engulfing ability of a Greater Air Elemental: "When the elemental moves, the grabbed creature moves with it, remaining in the elemental’s space"

I'll be curious how the Monster Vault version of the Gelatinous Cube will read.

By strict RAW that's true. Still, I reckon that the writer's had intended something like say, the engulfing ability of a Greater Air Elemental: "When the elemental moves, the grabbed creature moves with it, remaining in the elemental’s space"

I'll be curious how the Monster Vault version of the Gelatinous Cube will read.

Which I think is how it should be honestly. As D&D players most of us have that image in our heads of being "inside" the Cube over years of playing this game. Being grabbed by a cube and forcing the Cube to move to break the grab gives me the image of the cube having arms and hugging the player.
As D&D players most of us have that image in our heads of being "inside" the Cube over years of playing this game.

Which is a bad habit to get into.  Things change, and clinging to previous edition concepts in a new edition usually just messes things up.

I envision it as a matter of inertia; the engulfed character is certainly heavier than a spongy mass of gelatinous stuff, so when the cube moves swiftly and abruptly (aka forced movement), the character stays put while the cube is slammed away.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.