KOTB Pregen Characters - Level 2?

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just got my kit for Chapter 3 and see that there aren't any Pregens which have been leveled up to level 2 as I've been telling my players there would be.  I must have made that up in my mind.

Upon actual reading of some material WotC sent out I see that the players are expected to roll up their own characters or level the pregens up to level 2 on their own. 

Has anyone here already leveled up the pregens to level two and are interested in sharing with the community?

Maybe it could be done as simply as a list of which powers they selected at level 2 for each of the pregen characters.       
I'll take a crack at a list of what *I* would do for each of the 6 pregens.

As pregens, I would aim for feats and powers that are a little more direct in their use, rather than going for clever tricks that new players might not pick up on right away.

Remember that with characers going to an even level they will all gain +1 to all their attack rolls, skill bonuses (including passives), initiatve bonuses, and defenses. All characters also gain some HP - 6 for the fighters, 5 for the clerics and the rogue, and 4 for the Wizard.

This is also a good time to incorporate any magic items the characters have found through chapter 1 and 2 into their sheets, and update any relevant numbers or include notes about any properties or powers that the items have.

Berrian
First, remember to add his Enchantment Apprentice bonus to his powers (2 more on the push from Beguiling Strands and 2 more on the slide for Charm of Misplaced Wrath). The reach from the staff isn't a major deal for most folks playing Berrian since he can just fire off Magic Missile instead, so I'd leave it off for brevity. I'd also skip adding extra spells from the spellbook.

For the utility power, I'd take Shield. It's a classic Wizard ability (Mage Armor), and it can be used every encounter. How and when to use it should be fairly easy to understand for most players, regardless of their level of system knowledge - you just stop something from hitting you.

For the feat, something simple is probably the best. Improved Initiatve would help allow Berrian to catch out enemies early with his control abilities. Quickly sweeping a couple of minions off the field with Beguiling Strands before they get their first actions, dazing and sliding a key baddie, or setting down your Fountain of Flame before all of the monsters have the chance to spread out are all great reasons to choose Improved Initiative.

Honorable mention goes to Durable. With Berrian's tiny amount of HP, having an extra 2 surges to use over the course of a 4-encounter work day might be really nice, especially if your tables tend to have a slightly harder time with the encounters and have been limping across the finish line on encounters 3 and 4 of each chapter so far.

Sola
For her utility power, there are only dailies to choose from. As Sola is the healiest of the two leader pregens, I think that Cure Light Wounds is the clear winner for her choice here.

For a feat, I'd try to toughen her up a little. Improved Defenses for a great +1 to Fort, Ref, and Will, or Toughness to take her up to 36 HP are at the top of the list here.

Eldeth
Remember to note that her Second Wind is a minor action rather than a standard.

For her utility power, I think Minor Resurgance is both very straightforward in use and also reinforces the 'dwarves are tough' feeling.

For the feat, it's hard to argue with taking Master at Arms or Axe Expertise. As a striker, Eldeth really needs to keep her to-hit bonus up, and a flat +1 is just great. Axe Expertise is probably the better choice, but if your players usually have trouble remembering conditional abilities (like the re-roll on a single 1 for axe damage with Axe Expertise), I'd take Master at Arms instead since it'll keep her thrown Javelins and her melee attacks at the same to-hit bonus.

Honorbale mention for the feat choice is Toughness, which would take Eldeth to a whopping 40 HP (again: dwarves are tough!).

Hagen
For the utility, I think that Resurgent Strength is a real winner. It ties in well with the other powers that Hagen has to buff damage for himself or his allies.

For the feat, I'd go with Weapon Proficiency: Warhammer. As a storm cleric, Hagen's already on the 'I hit you hard' side of the two cleric builds, and a simple Mace just doesn't seem as hard-hitting as it should be for all the thunder and lightning the build implies. This would raise all his damage dice to d10s instead of d8s, and you can (as a behind the scenes tweak) retrain his Weapon Focus: Mace into Weapon Focus: Hammer.

Merric
As a level 2 Thief, Merric gets an automatic +1 to hit with all attacks using his daggers (light blades).

I'd go with Streetwise for the free trained skill from the Skill Mastery feature.

For the utility power, I think that Agile Footwork gets the nod for its 'get out of jail free' power. Being able to get away from a nasty critter that's about to swing a big hunk of metal at the Halfling seems very on-theme and very handy.

Sudden Leap gets an honorable mention for the fun of being able to be really mobile when the encounter map presents you with tricky terrain.

For the feat, an additional +1 to hit from Light Blade Expertise is just too good to turn down. As with Eldeth and Axe Expertise, the conditional bonus (+1 damage on targets when you have CA against them) may be forgotten or overlooked by players who aren't good about remembering those things.

A good alternative for the feat choice would be Weapon Proficiency: Rapier. Since the bulk of rogue damage is done with the flat bonuses and the Sneak Attack dice, I personally prefer to stick with the daggers (plus it keeps Merric's RBA and MBA stats the same).

Quinn
For the utility, Glowering Threat. No contest.

For the feat, it's a toss-up for me between Superior Fortitude and Swift Recovery. Superior Fortitude would crank up Quinn's Fort defense to a whopping 20 and tack on a very nice bonus of resist 3 against all ongoing damage, where Swift Recovery would take his new Surge Value up to 1/3rd of his HP rather than 1/4th (13/40 rather than 10/40).
I'll take a crack at a list of what *I* would do for each of the 6 pregens.

As pregens, I would aim for feats and powers that are a little more direct in their use, rather than going for clever tricks that new players might not pick up on right away.

Remember that with characers going to an even level they will all gain +1 to all their attack rolls, skill bonuses (including passives), initiatve bonuses, and defenses. All characters also gain some HP - 6 for the fighters, 5 for the clerics and the rogue, and 4 for the Wizard.

This is also a good time to incorporate any magic items the characters have found through chapter 1 and 2 into their sheets, and update any relevant numbers or include notes about any properties or powers that the items have.

Berrian
First, remember to add his Enchantment Apprentice bonus to his powers (2 more on the push from Beguiling Strands and 2 more on the slide for Charm of Misplaced Wrath). The reach from the staff isn't a major deal for most folks playing Berrian since he can just fire off Magic Missile instead, so I'd leave it off for brevity. I'd also skip adding extra spells from the spellbook.

For the utility power, I'd take Shield. It's a classic Wizard ability (Mage Armor), and it can be used every encounter. How and when to use it should be fairly easy to understand for most players, regardless of their level of system knowledge - you just stop something from hitting you.

For the feat, something simple is probably the best. Improved Initiatve would help allow Berrian to catch out enemies early with his control abilities. Quickly sweeping a couple of minions off the field with Beguiling Strands before they get their first actions, dazing and sliding a key baddie, or setting down your Fountain of Flame before all of the monsters have the chance to spread out are all great reasons to choose Improved Initiative.

Honorable mention goes to Durable. With Berrian's tiny amount of HP, having an extra 2 surges to use over the course of a 4-encounter work day might be really nice, especially if your tables tend to have a slightly harder time with the encounters and have been limping across the finish line on encounters 3 and 4 of each chapter so far.

Sola
For her utility power, there are only dailies to choose from. As Sola is the healiest of the two leader pregens, I think that Cure Light Wounds is the clear winner for her choice here.

For a feat, I'd try to toughen her up a little. Improved Defenses for a great +1 to Fort, Ref, and Will, or Toughness to take her up to 36 HP are at the top of the list here.

Eldeth
Remember to note that her Second Wind is a minor action rather than a standard.

For her utility power, I think Minor Resurgance is both very straightforward in use and also reinforces the 'dwarves are tough' feeling.

For the feat, it's hard to argue with taking Master at Arms or Axe Expertise. As a striker, Eldeth really needs to keep her to-hit bonus up, and a flat +1 is just great. Axe Expertise is probably the better choice, but if your players usually have trouble remembering conditional abilities (like the re-roll on a single 1 for axe damage with Axe Expertise), I'd take Master at Arms instead since it'll keep her thrown Javelins and her melee attacks at the same to-hit bonus.

Honorbale mention for the feat choice is Toughness, which would take Eldeth to a whopping 40 HP (again: dwarves are tough!).

Hagen
For the utility, I think that Resurgent Strength is a real winner. It ties in well with the other powers that Hagen has to buff damage for himself or his allies.

For the feat, I'd go with Weapon Proficiency: Warhammer. As a storm cleric, Hagen's already on the 'I hit you hard' side of the two cleric builds, and a simple Mace just doesn't seem as hard-hitting as it should be for all the thunder and lightning the build implies. This would raise all his damage dice to d10s instead of d8s, and you can (as a behind the scenes tweak) retrain his Weapon Focus: Mace into Weapon Focus: Hammer.

Merric
As a level 2 Thief, Merric gets an automatic +1 to hit with all attacks using his daggers (light blades).

I'd go with Streetwise for the free trained skill from the Skill Mastery feature.

For the utility power, I think that Agile Footwork gets the nod for its 'get out of jail free' power. Being able to get away from a nasty critter that's about to swing a big hunk of metal at the Halfling seems very on-theme and very handy.

Sudden Leap gets an honorable mention for the fun of being able to be really mobile when the encounter map presents you with tricky terrain.

For the feat, an additional +1 to hit from Light Blade Expertise is just too good to turn down. As with Eldeth and Axe Expertise, the conditional bonus (+1 damage on targets when you have CA against them) may be forgotten or overlooked by players who aren't good about remembering those things.

A good alternative for the feat choice would be Weapon Proficiency: Rapier. Since the bulk of rogue damage is done with the flat bonuses and the Sneak Attack dice, I personally prefer to stick with the daggers (plus it keeps Merric's RBA and MBA stats the same).

Quinn
For the utility, Glowering Threat. No contest.

For the feat, it's a toss-up for me between Superior Fortitude and Swift Recovery. Superior Fortitude would crank up Quinn's Fort defense to a whopping 20 and tack on a very nice bonus of resist 3 against all ongoing damage, where Swift Recovery would take his new Surge Value up to 1/3rd of his HP rather than 1/4th (13/40 rather than 10/40).

Thank you very much!  You're exactly the person I hoped would see this and jump on it.

I appreciate really it!
Glad to be of service. If I had more time on my hands to muck about with the pregen files that are available I'd make new versions with all the numbers updated and new features and powers added in as well. Maybe someone with the drive and ability would be willing to step up before session 9.
Don't forget that (allegedly) the character builder will be out just in time for leveling up.
That's a good point, I just made that connection last night.  From the Encounters perspective, they really did bank on everyone making their own level 2 characters for this chapter.  So, the timing couldn't be more 'convenienct'.
That's a good point, I just made that connection last night.  From the Encounters perspective, they really did bank on everyone making their own level 2 characters for this chapter.  So, the timing couldn't be more 'convenienct'.

...not counting having it out for week 1, right?

Merric

...and Shortbows, which combos nicely with Tactical Trick and keeps the weak defenses and HPs out of the line of fire. The rest of the party being melee oriented makes going ranged the better choice.

I agree with expertise here. The choice is whether its better to go Bow Expertise or Master at Arms for the quick-switch and choice bonus.

Staying away from melee is as important to Merric as it is to the WIZ. Keep him at range and buy the poor guy a ShortSword. Thieves have no reason to stick with Daggers when there are better weapon out there.
I agree in principle that Merric would be better off mechanically by picking up a couple of new weapons, but (as I stated initially) in the interest of keeping the changes to the pregens as minor and stable as possible, I didn't bother to make note of this option for him. It is a great point to make though if you've got some regulars at your table who have (or are starting to gain) a decent grasp of where the numbers on their sheet are coming from.

If you're going to upgrade Merric's weapons at all, Master at Arms takes the cake without question. +1 to hit for all attacks and the ability to swap between stabbing and shooting freely is far better than either of the bonuses from Bow Expertise or Light Blade Expertise.

The table I play at is a very regular group, and we're planning to have a little 'level-up jam session' before we kick off the next encounter. Since I know that the other players are pretty comfortable with the rules and the base mechanics at this point, I was planning to mention weapon swaps and retraining options to my fellow players as things that they might like to try.

Personally, I'd promote a hand crossbow and short sword combo for anyone who wanted to give Merric a weapon upgrade as a 'default' option for use by new players, as it keeps their damage dice the same size for both melee and ranged.
No printable lvl 2 pregens this time around? I know previously they were done by community members and they put their time into it; it'd be rude to expect it.

We have a fair amount of ppl using pregens and I'm curious how that's going to go down this wednesday...
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
I am trying work on that right now with the new character builder, but I am fairly new at D&D so I am hitting little bumps along the road.  My first step is to recreate her level 1 card in the new CB as accurately as possible, but I do not know what level 1 feat to choose for Sola?  Ideas?

Update:  I went with Bludgeon Expert to give her the extra +1 attack on her mace as shown on the existing card. 
OK, here is the level 1 I built using the new CB.

www.hoofrog.com/dd/KOTB-SolaLevel1.pdf

I will update her to level 2 and post it in a second using the ideas above by AFossDDI. (at work right now so trying to get this done as I get time)

UPDATE:

Sola Level 2 using Improved Defenses and Cure Light Wounds - LINK
Merrick Level 2 Character Sheet - LINK

Quinn Level 2 Character Sheet - LINK

Eldeth Level 2 Character Sheet - LINK

Hagen Level 2 Character Sheet - LINK

Sola Level 2 Character Sheet - LINK (just to have her here with the rest)

Berrian Level 2 Character Sheet - LINK (best I could do) 
Thanks for doing these. I had planned to level up the pregens myself, but I'm having some serious crashing issues with the CB.
Yep, thanks a heap man!

Any change of getting the last two - particularly Berrian? I have my game in about an hour!
Berrian may be an issue due to the fact that the Essentials Mage is not right in the CB.  Working on it though.

UPDATE:  Added Berrian above. 
Berrian may be an issue due to the fact that the Essentials Mage is not right in the CB.  Working on it though.

What's not right with the Mage in the OCB?

Thanks.
Thanks!!
Many thanks!  I was working on Quinn when I found your posts.  This will save me lots of work.

I appreciate your assistance!
Thanks!

If I might ask, what pdf program do you use to export?  CutePDF made my files more than 10MB in size.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

I use CutePDF as well.  Not sure why we are seeing different file sizes.  Version maybe?  Logmein is acting up so I can't access my home computer right now to check. sorry.

Well, like everyone else, I was having trouble with the CB locking up and when I chose Essentials Mage, it prompted for several builds and none looked like the card for Berrian.  Also, add to that a thread in the CB forum stating mages were not properly represented, I assumed there was something wrong.

I did find out that after selecting the build for a Mage I can basically build it as I see fit, so assuming I can get access to the CB today before I leave work and head straight to Encounters, I will post a modified and more true increase for Berrian. 

1000 thanks for these.
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates

Well, like everyone else, I was having trouble with the CB locking up and when I chose Essentials Mage, it prompted for several builds and none looked like the card for Berrian.  Also, add to that a thread in the CB forum stating mages were not properly represented, I assumed there was something wrong.

I did find out that after selecting the build for a Mage I can basically build it as I see fit, so assuming I can get access to the CB today before I leave work and head straight to Encounters, I will post a modified and more true increase for Berrian. 

OK, so nothing heinous.
I made Berrian in the OCB and the only errors I see are:
1) It didn't add the 2 extra push squares to the push powers, and
2) It didn't add Reach to the Staff.

Granted, those need to be fixed ASAP, but they were easy enough to pen-and-ink for now.

And I'm embarrassed that I didn't say this in my first post:
THANKS!
Steve
Here are some "level-up" cards similar to the ones in the Dark Sun kits I made using AFossDDI's suggestions. Sorry I'm cutting it close.

www.4shared.com/document/YhhjtaP-/kotb_l...

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. This is an awesome community.
Here are some "level-up" cards similar to the ones in the Dark Sun kits I made using AFossDDI's suggestions. Sorry I'm cutting it close.

www.4shared.com/document/YhhjtaP-/kotb_l...

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. This is an awesome community.

Thanks for the cards.  I'll definitely print a set before our game tonight.  Might come in handy if we get more people than expected.
Interesting enough, in the Web Character Builder when it first opens there's the 4x4 block of portraits.  The first 6 if you click on them will allow you to load the level 1 Encounters pregens.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Those level up cards are great!

My next project is going to be whipping up a pregen-esque character sheet template (as a fillable .pdf). If our Rogue Trader game doesn't meet this weekend, I should have one up before Tuesday.
Now that we have the export feature in the character builder, do you happen to have the export files for these characters? 
any suggestions for leveling these guys up to 3?
Rule Zero: Save vs. Hivemind http://rulezeroblog.wordpress.com
Sign In to post comments