Power Cards in the Web-based Character Builder

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, instead of doing a big post with lots of cool stuff that's going to take me a while to write, I wanted to start sharing

We'll start off with the power card changes, a lot of which I'm pretty stoked about. Here's an example of what they look like (you'll want to right click and view image to get a better view):

The first thing I want to point out is that the targeting icon has been included on the power cards, prominently displayed in the upper right hand corner. Now it's super easy to tell which are my melee powers, ranged powers, blasts, bursts, etc.

Next we have the power usage up at the top, just underneath the name. This is a small change, but we had a lot of feedback from you guys that it was a bit annoying to have it at the bottom, especially when printing things off in black and white.

We also have a significant layout change in the power description and rules. It's in the same layout and style as the powers in the books, so no struggling with transitioning your brain from one power style to the other.

So those are the basics. I'll be back on Monday with some screen shots and info of the two different CB character sheets we're currently offering. Until then, discuss and post up any questions you have about these powers cards and I'll answer what I can.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Thanks for the screenies.
these are fine by me

someone sticky before it get buried
Hrm... the Ensorcelled Blade card doesn't have a summary line at the top, with the attack and damage roll.  Any reason for that?  It's a weapon attack, perhaps that character didn't have a weapon equipped?

Will it be possible to show the summary lines for multiple weapons on cards?  I primarily play a dual-wielder, so that's important for me.  The CB was already quite poor for displaying information for powers that use two weapons, and I hope the web-CB isn't regressing even further.
Looks good. I like them. And I should add that it feels nice to only have good things to say about a piece of news for the first time in a while, here's hoping it's the start of a pattern :-)
Thank you for sharing this info. The power cards were fine to me and these look fine.
For me,the important take away here is that you guys are wanting to bring us in on the development process and let us know where things are headed.

If for some reason someone absolutely hates what they see enough to not want the CB they know have a more informed choice with their subscription and money.  Hopefully we will see more treatment like this from you guys

Looks great! These look like an improvement!  Any chance we'll get the ability to type our own notes and/or edit any of the info on the cards?
Hrm... the Ensorcelled Blade card doesn't have a summary line at the top, with the attack and damage roll.  Any reason for that?  It's a weapon attack, perhaps that character didn't have a weapon equipped?

Will it be possible to show the summary lines for multiple weapons on cards?  I primarily play a dual-wielder, so that's important for me.  The CB was already quite poor for displaying information for powers that use two weapons, and I hope the web-CB isn't regressing even further.

Yeah, I noticed that too right after I posted it up. I'll see if I can figure out what happened there.

Not only that, but Chaos bolt says "+4 vs. ,".  I assume that's a bug?
Love it, they look amazing.

One question, can I remove flavor text? I don't do that to all the cards just the ones that have a lot of text. Thanks! 
The Chaos Bolt doesn't indicate that it is vs. Will at the top and the text in the lower portion is tiny and difficult to read.  This was a problem with the older cards too that had a lot of information on them. 

Other than that they look pretty good.
So yeah, Ensorcelled Blade requires a dagger to use and I have him equipped with a staff, so there's no attack info there. Next time I'll actually put together a real character when I want to show something off instead of choosing randomly

Chaos bolt is missing the vs. Will bit and has been reported. Thanks much guys!

Thanks! Looks like an improvment. Thanks for the information and good work.
Pretty good.  They work well for me!  I like that all the dmg / attack numbers are all grouped at the top along with the action type.  Thanks for that!  Tucked away down on the bottom my players always forgot where they were.
Love it, they look amazing.

One question, can I remove flavor text? I don't do that to all the cards just the ones that have a lot of text. Thanks! 

Thats a good question and actually a big deal to me.
I like to print the cards out and use them as... cards.
Flavor text is just a big waste of ink. 
A definite improvement over the old cards. One request: Utility powers at the bottom of the current cards say something like "Utility", where what I really care about in play is when it refreshes (At-Will, Encounter, or Daily).  Could you please print the refresh frequency instead of the less useful in play "Utility?"  (If you've already done so, awesome!)
It'll take a little while to get used to the changes, but looks good to me
A definite improvement over the old cards. One request: Utility powers at the bottom of the current cards say something like "Utility", where what I really care about in play is when it refreshes (At-Will, Encounter, or Daily).  Could you please print the refresh frequency instead of the less useful in play "Utility?"  (If you've already done so, awesome!)

Yeah, that's important to me as well.

Also, visual queues for those of us who print in black and white as to if it's a daily, at will or encounter would be good (seems like that might be the case but we don't have a daily power card to look at). 
This comment applies to Chaos Bolt and any other power with secondary or tertiary attacks.

Please add a summary line for those addtional attacks.

I'd rather not have to stop during play to do the math in my head.

"So I take the 1d10 + bonus, change the 1d10 to a 1d6 and then subtract my charisma mod from the bonus to get my damage with the secondary attack."

Another example is powers with damaging effects such as Flaming Sphere or, for example, the Flame Spiral power (Sorcerer attack 3):

Effect: Until the start of your next turn, any enemy that enters a square adjacent to you or starts its turn there takes 1d6 fire damage.

Since that is an effect of a sorcerer implement power with a damage roll, modifiers like your implement bonus or your Spell Source damage bonus would apply to the damage.  It would be nice if the total could be displayed somewhere on the power card.

Essentially what I am asking is that the power cards have the option to display any and all totals so I don't have to do any of the math during play.
WATE4-1 Paying the Piper (co-author)
Essentially what I am asking is that the power cards have the option to display any and all totals so I don't have to do any of the math during play.

This. The reason for having a computer do this work is precisely so we don't have to do it ourselves.

What's the point, otherwise?

Hey guys, instead of doing a big post with lots of cool stuff that's going to take me a while to write, I wanted to start sharing

A little bit sooner is better than more later.  I am hoping to see more cool stuff in the coming week.
We'll start off with the power card changes, a lot of which I'm pretty stoked about. Here's an example of what they look like (you'll want to right click and view image to get a better view):

-- image snipped -- 
This is a good place to start.  I have been wondering what the new power cards were going to look like.

The first thing I want to point out is that the targeting icon has been included on the power cards, prominently displayed in the upper right hand corner. Now it's super easy to tell which are my melee powers, ranged powers, blasts, bursts, etc.

I like this change.  The funny thing is I had never noticed the numbers next to the icon on the older power cards.  

Next we have the power usage up at the top, just underneath the name. This is a small change, but we had a lot of feedback from you guys that it was a bit annoying to have it at the bottom, especially when printing things off in black and white.

Another good change.  

We also have a significant layout change in the power description and rules. It's in the same layout and style as the powers in the books, so no struggling with transitioning your brain from one power style to the other.

Ummm, I am not so sure on this change....  I personally really want a power card layout to get me to the info I need quickly and to make the various pieces of information stand out.  The grey background helps, but the changing size of the top text hurts.  But to be fair (I know not allowed on the Internet ) I think this is a change I would have to use to really decide if it is better for me or not.  
So those are the basics. I'll be back on Monday with some screen shots and info of the two different CB character sheets we're currently offering. Until then, discuss and post up any questions you have about these powers cards and I'll answer what I can.

I'll be looking forward for the character sheet screen shots on Monday.

And back to power cards, I would really like to see a couple of examples with multiple weapons.  Most of my characters end up with 2-3 unique to hit or damage for each power and having the multiple weapons on the current cards is very useful.

I think these look great, though I would've loved to have seen the same font from the books used here, as well.  Thanks for posting them!

I'm excited about getting a chance to use the Character Builder for the first time ever!  (I'm a Mac user.) 
The one thing I don't like is that it does not show how it reaches the numbers listed - which means it will be much harder to figure out what is wrong when the numbers are not correct (do I not  have the right equipment equipped? Did it forget about a feat? Much harder to figure out when the math is not shown)

Also, I notice on secondary attacks it is not listing the attack or damage numbers for the secondary attack at all...
Do non-attacks have calculations being done yet?  For example: Healing Word. 

Never was done in the classic CB, would be nice to see.

-Scot
The one thing I don't like is that it does not show how it reaches the numbers listed - which means it will be much harder to figure out what is wrong when the numbers are not correct (do I not  have the right equipment equipped? Did it forget about a feat? Much harder to figure out when the math is not shown)

Also, I notice on secondary attacks it is not listing the attack or damage numbers for the secondary attack at all...

It might do that somewhere else like it does in the current CB.  To show all the math, you wouldn't have power cards, you'd have power pages.  Either that or you would need a really powerful magnifying glass to read them all.

For example, here is the calculations for Scorching Burst for my level 16 tiefling wizard.

Attack +20 vs Reflex

+8 half-level
+6 Intelligence
+3 Implement Enhancement
+2 Implement Expertise
+1 Hellfire Blood

Damage 1d6+20 fire

+6 Intelligence
+3 Implement Enchancement
+3 Off-hand Implement Enchancement
+2 Astral Fire (feat bonus)
+1 Hellfire Blood
+2 Hellfire Wand (item bonus)
+3 Cinder Wand

Personally I don't want to see all that information on each power card.
WATE4-1 Paying the Piper (co-author)
Thanks for sharing this, Trevor. I like the new layout better!

One thing I will add as a fervent wish though.  I really want the cards to be what they have the potential to be: Just the information you need to play your character.

What I mean is, like on my character's card for Healing Word, it says something like "Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6 additional hit points. Level 6: 2d6 additional hit points. Level 11: 3d6 additional hit points. Level 16: 4d6 additional hit points. Level 21: 5d6 additional hit points. Level 26: 6d6 additional hit points."

If I'm level 6, it should just say: "Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 2d6 additional hit points."

This flaw is the main reason I don't use the CB character sheet. There's just too much stuff on the cards that isn't applicable to my character, so it's a pain to use them.

Thanks!
MK

PS: I use a Mac so I am super excited to be able to kick bootcamp to the curb! :-)
I'm a guy that seriously customizes power cards, and I'm still pretty happy with what I see. I agree with every one of the points Trevor made. I especially appreciate these as a nice low-ink or B&W-friendly alternative to a more complex/pretty card.

At the same time, I think there should be a visually stunning option - something really sexy like so many templates the user community has made over time with Magic Set Editor. Again, this set you showed is awesome for many uses. I just want an additional choice that looks much better.

I agree that important options would be the following:

• Whether to print flavor text (or even customize it)

• Whether to print weapon/implement summary information at the top (and I do like the placement)

• Whether to print generic (i.e. "[1W]+STR") or specific information ("1d6+5") for each damage line

• Whether to print additional calculated values for secondary attacks and effects. An example is a power like Rain of Frogs where the effect line should include implement and other bonuses just like the main attack. You don't really need to include this, but you might want it. (I provide an example of how I do it on my power cards in the link above.) Hellish Rebuke is another warlock example. A power like Decree of Khirad is a rather complex example, since it gets no damage on a hit but gets damage on a miss. The current CB does not print anything for the miss as a summary, which makes it more important to have it (otherwise you need to look at a different power card to derive the value). The invoker power Offering of Justice is another example where the current CB does not provide information, but should (arguably as an option to the user). Very ideally, you could select it for each card, the way the current CB allows us to display a single power with a different weapon/implement.

Finally, I am curious what the "Additional Effects" space is for. Can we see an example? Is it for gear-based impacts, or for something like Hellish Rebuke?

Thanks for showing this. Good positive stuff.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Do non-attacks have calculations being done yet?  For example: Healing Word. 

Never was done in the classic CB, would be nice to see.

I would also like to see power cards (with math) for any class effects that resemble a power. For example, Divine Sanction and Divine Challenge. The current CB doesn't have a way to display the rules and damage on a card, which many starting players would like to see (and even some old hats).

It might do that somewhere else like it does in the current CB.  To show all the math, you wouldn't have power cards, you'd have power pages. [snip]
Personally I don't want to see all that information on each power card.

Agreed. The math does not need to be on a power card and becomes extremely long for some classes at paragon and beyond.

Oh, and I'm sure this is known by the team, but the ability to turn on or off a power card so it does or does not print is important.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

they dont need every attack broken down, the way the current character sheet does it works

as for healing word having the level breakdwowns, it does that for all scaling powers and it would be cool if it was automatic, but i was pleased overall with the way the parts work together, like with healers brooch it goes to the powers that qualify and notes it.

I think the gradients as backgrounds for text blocks is a bad choice. It makes those blocks of text hard to read. Those blocks will be even harder to read when printing because the print gradients are going to be inconsistent across different printers and ink reserves.

Having colored backgrounds to help break up the blocks of text is good, and matches the standard WoTC printed look. It's just the gradient that's an issue. Get rid of that.
The bugs that have already shown up with just this screen shot underline a question I have asked here before:

What kind of beta test did WOTC do with this software.
The bugs that have already shown up with just this screen shot underline a question I have asked here before:

What kind of beta test did WOTC do with this software.

those arent bugs dude, he didnt have them equipped properly, he prob threw the pc together just to show a quick look
Not true on the chaos bolt, right?

Trevor himself suggested it as a bug. 
i dont think he has a weapon equipped
Finally, I am curious what the "Additional Effects" space is for. Can we see an example? Is it for gear-based impacts, or for something like Hellish Rebuke?

I assume it's used for the same thing in the new CB as it was used for in the old CB (conditional effects, like Sneak Attack damage).

This comment applies to Chaos Bolt and any other power with secondary or tertiary attacks.

Please add a summary line for those addtional attacks.

I'd rather not have to stop during play to do the math in my head.

"So I take the 1d10 + bonus, change the 1d10 to a 1d6 and then subtract my charisma mod from the bonus to get my damage with the secondary attack."

Another example is powers with damaging effects such as Flaming Sphere or, for example, the Flame Spiral power (Sorcerer attack 3):

Effect: Until the start of your next turn, any enemy that enters a square adjacent to you or starts its turn there takes 1d6 fire damage.

Since that is an effect of a sorcerer implement power with a damage roll, modifiers like your implement bonus or your Spell Source damage bonus would apply to the damage.  It would be nice if the total could be displayed somewhere on the power card.

I am behind you 100% on this.  I've mentioned before that I like to play dual-wielders, and dual-wielding Fighters and Rangers have a lot of powers like this.
These cards are nice!  I'm not one to make up my own custom cards, so having WotC make the defaults I rely on easier to read, and laid out consistent with the book format is going to be a big help.  Should make combats go faster (my paladin player struggles every fight with the current cards).

I would LOVE to be able to change the names of the powers on the cards...Cool
D&D Encounters Post-game Show podcast! http://gelatinouscubed.net/podcast-episodes/

I think both need to be there. First of all, you need to know when it refreshes. Secondly, certain classes need to know if a power is utility or attack. For example, the wizard needs to know this because of the spellbook. I know that I can only use one of my 3 different level 6 utility powers. If the word utility is not on the card, I would get them confused and have to think about it for a bit. If the purpose of the cards is to make play quick and easy, some classes need to know about attack/utility so it should be on the card.
Looks good. One question: Some items or feats modify or add to powers (such as Battle Healer), will the new format allow such info to be attached to the power cards?

Edit: Another example: Dragon Breath in the old character builder lists "Special: When you create your character, choose… " Will that be removed as well as the less important part about damage on tiers the character is not at?
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.

Do you really want all that clutter on something the size of a power card? Because I sure as hell don't.

If WotC has any brains at all (granted, that's not an insignificant "if" of late), that information is somewhere in the character builder. If it isn't, it should be. Totally agree with you on that point. But I don't know what would possess you to say the power cards are the appropriate place for it.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Overall I'd say these new cards look pretty good though I would second the idea that the gradiant should be removed.  Makes them harder to read, especially on certain types of printers.

But good job, WoTC and thanks, Trevor.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sign In to post comments