Directed Discussion: Online CB - Requested Features

498 posts / 0 new
Last post
As many of you have expressed a desire for either added features, or for changes to existing planned features, I thought it would help everyone - the community AND WotC's Dev team - to have a consolidated list of feature requests for future consideration in the New Character Builder.

Let me be clear: this is NOT the place to rant about the direction that DDI and/or the CB are going in.  If you're going to post here, please at least accept (however grudgingly) that the new CB is going to move online, and is likely going to stay there.  

"Please don't make this change" - however its worded - is NOT a feature request, and will be ignored - and quite possibly reported for being off topic.

I'm going to assume that any features requested are *OPTIONS* (IE - "Give us the old character sheet" will be considered a request for that option, not as a feature that removes the Essentials Sheet, or the new sheet style).

I will be requesting this thread get stickied, and will monitor it for updates as well.

When posting a feature request, please try to include at least a couple sentences about why you want that feature, how you would use it, etc.

I'll try to list the feature requests I keep seeing in a sample format, to give some guidelines.

--------------------------------------------------
Requests listed in no particular order

1) Character Export (save to local PC)
The ability to retain control over one's characters is important to many users, both for backup purposes, as well as for being able to quickly transport their data to another location for quick printing.  

Additionally, there are third party tools (like the HIGHLY popular iplay4E) that read .dnd4e files, and allow players to interact with that data.  Exporting gives customers great flexibility and control.  To this end, sticking with the existing .dnd4e format is also of high value. 

While some changes are expected to the .dnd4e format (as is normal with new features being added like Themes), keeping to the same basic structure is important, as opposed to creating a wholly-new filesave format.

WotC has stated this issue has been given high-priority in the feature list, and we can expect to see it added early on.

2) Character Sharing (within the cloud)
Much like Character Export - many DMs like the option to verify character sheets, or even tweak them a little (as a storytelling tool) between play sessions.  The option to share a character sheet (either publicly or to selected users/groups) would help facilitate this, and if done within the DDi Suite of tools, would save a few steps, as opposed to exporting the file, e-mailing it, re-importing it on the other end, etc.

Further to the issue of sharing - community site integration would also be a very welcome option, or at least using community groups to setup ACL permissions for who can see what characters.

Sample: If I start a "WolfStar's Thursday Night Game" group, I could share characters back and forth with others in that group - but not with the rest of the world.

PaoloM has said that this is something interesting that they are looking into.

3) Original Character Sheets
While the new style of sheet may be optimized, and the Essentials sheet may be another option - some people very simply prefer the classic 4E sheet as originally laid out in the back of the PHB, and as printed in the original Character Builder.  These users would like the option of formatting their character sheets to print in that classic style.

4) SSL/TLS Security
[Description coming soon - I need to refresh my understanding of the isue]

5) More Storage Space
Many users are, to say the least, disappointed in being limited to 20 characters.  Some users simply have more than 20 characters (especially DMs for the RPGA, who might manage and keep copies of characters for a large number of players) - others like to save their character at every level, in case they ever need to roll-back for any reason.  The current limit wouldn't (appear to) allow for even saving a single character through all 30 levels

WotC has stated that 20 characters is just a starting number, and that useage will be evaluated in considering changing this limit going forward.

6) Character Summary
[description coming soon]

7) Editable Character Sheets (layout/design)
Similar to the request for the Classic 4E Character sheets - The ability to change the layout, add pages, and otherwise make a sheet that works best for the individual player is something that is much appreciated in the offline Character Builder.  That functionality would be just as greatly appreciated in the new online effort.

8) Offline Viewer
The Character Sheet Viewer in the classic builder allowed users to check/uncheck boxes to track power use, and had other "interactive" features that made it a great way to track your character at the table on small computing devices (netbooks, iPads, etc).  The new Character Builder's online-only feature will remove this option for many gamers who don't have wi-fi at their gaming table (be it in an FLGS, or in a basement where reception is poor, etc).

Users would appreciate an option to have a small Character Sheet Viewer for offline use that would simply read and interact with a created Character Sheet - without allowing any (permanent) edits to things like character stats/powers/equipment.

This way they can still take full advantage of the Builder at their gaming table.

9) Basic house-rule support.
User would like the ability to house-rule sheets that is, at an absolute bare minimum on par with what the classic CB offered.  Many groups give things like free expertise and other bonus feats, so using the web-CB if it can't handle importing that will be a great impairment

10) Advanced house-rule support and custom content. 
The ability to define new feats, items, races, etc. 

While the content WotC puts out is fantastic, customers are also encouraged (especially in the Dungeon Master Guides) to go "off-roading" with their game - and to implement their own ideas into the game.  The Character Build should fully support this kind of open play experience.

11) API Support
An API for (authenticated) 3rd party applications to directly pull character information from the cloud.  Exporting to .dnd4e is essential, and applications like DMBS (which I rely on heavily) or iPlay4e can import those exported files - but it would be great if they didn't actually need to.

12) Character Sorting/Organizing
As many DMs keep digital copies of the characters for multiple campaigns (as well as designing some NPCs as full blown characters) the ability to divide their online storage area (using folders, labels, or other dividers) is being requested to help keep those files organized.

If the request for more storage space (#5, above) is put through, this becomes even more important, as the amount of data grows.

13) Native PDF Support
While it's been stated that users will be able to install a PDF writer, and then print their character sheets to PDF via those 3rd party tools, bringing that into the software as a native feature is something that would add value to the application - especially for users who may not be on a computer that's under their immediate control (Internet Cafes, hotels, borrowing another user's system), or who aren't tech savvy or simply comfortable installing more software.

14) Use the cloud to suggest build options
With WotC being able to data-mine builds that are stored on DDi - they should, in turn, be able to use that data to help suggest common/popular builds for new characters. 

A character creating a new level / would be able to see the most popular options taken by players who have also chosen that race/class - or better still, as characters progress, what feats/powers/items players with similar builds (previously selected powers/feats/etc) chose at this new level.

Similar in nature to the well-known Amazon.com feature of "other customers who looked at "X" also looked at "Y" - it would help optimizers see popular/common choices.

15) Ritual Books (and similar)
For characters that make heavy use of Rituals (or Martial Practices, or Alchemy), having a mere listing of names, while helpful, leaves the players wanting more.  With rituals and the like spread across multiple books, it would make these kinds of "extras" a lot easier to manage if all of their relevant information were available as part of the character sheet (casting times, durations, costs, effects, etc).

Notably - because use of these features fluxuates (from some users with only one or two rituals, to some with a near-library of them), printing this information should be an option not everyone will need the full details with every re-printing of their character.

A power-card style format seems to be a popular example for this kind of option.

16) "Future-Proofing"
While it's likely (hopefully?) far enough into the future that there are no current plans to change rules editions (5th Edition), many users are curious as to what plans WotC is, or will be making in regards to the new online Character Builder, when a new version of the game does release.

Will WotC continue, for a time at least, to offer access to the 4E toolset?  Or will all support for 4E drop when 5E is (inevitably?) announced one day?  Would a "last hurrah" offline version of the 4E tools be made available?

These decisions are a factor for many customers as to where they plan to spend their money going forward.

17) Lapsed-Subscription Access 
"Read Only" access to an already-generated character sheet that's been stored online is being requested.

This would allow a customer the chance to print out a "fresh" copy of his character, even if - for whatever reason - he's not a current subscriber.  Financial times are tough, it's not unlikely that customers might need to skimp for a month or two here or there.

Leaving them access to their existing work in these times would server both as great customer relations, but would also be a good enticement for them to re-subscribe.  As new books/power/gear come out, seeing their character and daydreaming of the new things they could assign that character could be a strong emotional pull to re-subscribe at the earliest opportunity.

On the flipside, being locked out of their existing work will only cause disfavor toward WotC, and eventually "out of sight, out of mind" experiences could set in - leading customers to see that they don't really want/need/miss the online toolset. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

The ability to retain control over one's characters is important to many users, both for backup purposes, as well as for being able to quickly transport their data to another location for quick printing.  

WotC has stated this issue has been given high-priority in the feature list, and we can expect to see it added early on.

I think this is not what people mean by local export - the focus of the "save to disk" or local export feature is that users who requested it want the builder to export .dnd4e files, not a format for printing. That file format is useful for 3rd party tools, importing and sharing of characters, and so forth.

Local / portable-printable format will already be available at launch, as I understand it, by printing to 3rd party PDF generators.

2) Character Sharing (within the cloud)
Much like Character Export - many DMs like the option to verify character sheets, or even tweak them a little (as a storytelling tool) between play sessions.  The option to share a character sheet (either publicly or to selected users/groups) would help facilitate this, and if done within the DDi Suite of tools, would save a few steps, as opposed to exporting the file, e-mailing it, re-importing it on the other end, etc.

Paolo answered this, kinda sorta, in the mega thread. I pulled it out here:

Paolo - Post #100

Question - Is there any plan to address sharing between accounts?

Answer - Absolutely. We're planning to address the sharing scenarios with one of the next updates.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere

1. House-rule support that is at an absolute bare minimum on par with what the classic CB offered.  Every group I'm involved in has free expertise and other bonus feats, so we can't very well start using the web-CB if it can't handle importing that.

2. Real house-rule support and custom content.  The ability to define new feats, items, etc.

3. An API for (authenticated) 3rd party applications to directly pull character information from the cloud.  Exporting to .dnd4e is essential, and applications like DMBS (which I rely on heavily) or iPlay4e can import those exported files - but it would be great if they didn't actually need to.

4. The ability to generate and save a PDF character sheet without having to install a PDF writer locally.  We've developed multiple web applications at work that do this, it's trivial to implement.

I think this is not what people mean by local export - the focus of the "save to disk" or local export feature is that users who requested it want the builder to export .dnd4e files, not a format for printing. That file format is useful for 3rd party tools, importing and sharing of characters, and so forth.

Local / portable-printable format will already be available at launch, as I understand it, by printing to 3rd party PDF generators.

I knew that, but didn't mention it explicitly.  I'll edit to clarify.

(I'm starting to wish I'd just made this a wiki. . . ) 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

I knew that, but didn't mention it explicitly.  I'll edit to clarify.

Cool - just wanted to make sure that while printing and such was one reason, it wasn't the only reason. Notably, if cloud-sharing is enabled, then using .dnd4e files to transmit a character from one account to another is irrelevant, but until #2 appears, #1 might be the way to do it.

Character Sorting/Folder System: Similar to setting up different mailboxes and such on an email account, or as we can set up to add additional folders on the current one. With the limit of 20 characters, this isn't really an issue, but once this increases it will be well received.

Character Images: I haven't heard exactly how this will be handled, but the ability to use our own artwork, either uploaded, or just by providing link to where the picture is located to use, whichever works best. 
On Essentials: Everyone deserves to play a class they enjoy. Hex Grid UserAndroid UserD&DMapTools
Dungeons & Dragons Compendium
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
Specifically .dnd4e Availability: This is for third party support, (namely iPlay4e from my perspective).  Its my favorite way to be able to display my character on our group webpage.  If this isn't possible then..

Character Summary Links: Be able to flag your character as public, so you can post a link to the character summary.  Just the facts, with links to the compendium entries for details.  Basically like how iPlay4e does it.  Wink
On Essentials: Everyone deserves to play a class they enjoy. Hex Grid UserAndroid UserD&DMapTools
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata

1. House-rule support that is at an absolute bare minimum on par with what the classic CB offered.  Every group I'm involved in has free expertise and other bonus feats, so we can't very well start using the web-CB if it can't handle importing that.

2. Real house-rule support and custom content.  The ability to define new feats, items, etc.

Another reason I've found house rule support important in the past was to work around occasional bugs that popped up now and then in the CB (missing Paladin Channel Divinity feats in an example).  So I second this request.

Thank you.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

8) Offline Viewer
The Character Sheet Viewer in the classic builder allowed users to check/uncheck boxes to track power use, and had other "interactive" features that made it a great way to track your character at the table on small computing devices (netbooks, iPads, etc).  The new Character Builder's online-only feature will remove this option for many gamers who don't have wi-fi at their gaming table (be it in an FLGS, or in a basement where reception is poor, etc).

Users would appreciate an option to have a small Character Sheet Viewer for offline use that would simply read and interact with a created Character Sheet - without allowing any (permanent) edits to things like character stats/powers/equipment.

This way they can still take full advantage of the Builder at their gaming table.

+1 (really +5, since it affects many of my players) to this.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Character Images: I haven't heard exactly how this will be handled, but the ability to use our own artwork, either uploaded, or just by providing link to where the picture is located to use, whichever works best. 

Would you object to me leaving this off the list until we see how it's handled in the software?  If the option already exists, it seems silly to put in a request for it.  

Specifically .dnd4e Availability: This is for third party support, (namely iPlay4e from my perspective).  Its my favorite way to be able to display my character on our group webpage.  If this isn't possible then..

Character Summary Links: Be able to flag your character as public, so you can post a link to the character summary.  Just the facts, with links to the compendium entries for details.  Basically like how iPlay4e does it.  Wink

I'm already including these (in my head) in the features above, but will edit to call them out specifically under "export" and "sharing" respectively.

I am stealing this idea from another poster (Xandore) who suggested in in another thread:

For the 20 character limit:
Have the possibility of creating an infinite number of characters, the majority of which are stored on the computer, and then have the ability to upload 20 (or whatever the limit turns out to be) into the cloud.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere

Character Sorting/Folder System: Similar to setting up different mailboxes and such on an email account, or as we can set up to add additional folders on the current one. With the limit of 20 characters, this isn't really an issue, but once this increases it will be well received.

Right, the apparent lack of any sorting structure struck me as a glaring omission when the tool was first announced, but I forgot about it since then.  I'm in full agreement here, having all characters in one unmanaged list is unwieldy.  This sorting could be handled by a directory structure or, even better, by tagging.

Additional comments re: character sharing (in the cloud)
When we share characters, a binary "This character is for me only" or "This character is shared for the whole world" decision is not adequare.  We should be able to specify who is allowed access to the character; we should also be able to grant both read and write access to shared characters.  See Google Docs or MS SkyDrive for the behaviour to emulate here.

Further, sharing should tie in with the character sorting above.  We should be able to seamlessly view our own characters grouped together with shared characters of others - this would probably be easiest if characters are sorted by tags.  So for example, I could view all characters tagged as "Low Rollers" to view the members of the Low Rollers adventuring party.

Altogether, this would work very well with how the groups I'm with run our games.  At our games, the DM runs the session with a laptop, and at least one player at the table will also have a laptop.  The player with the laptop essentially acts as an "accountant" for the party, keeping track of changes for everyone in the party during the session, especially inventory changes.

As an aside to Wolfstar, I edited my first post in this thread twice to add additional feature requests... just wanted to make sure you saw all four of them.  ;)

Would you object to me leaving this off the list until we see how it's handled in the software?  If the option already exists, it seems silly to put in a request for it.  

No problem, I'm just going through my head thinking of things that I'd like that haven't been mentioned...   Really just biding time until the video of the program is at least posted. Wink
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
------Bookmark------

I believe I'm caught up to this point (include your multiple edits, Vault).

Now I'm off to put in a sticky request, and read another thread to "relax" a little.   

I see this as a low priority, long term idea, but I still think it would be pretty cool:

Use the cloud for build suggestions

Currently, build suggestions are limited to feat choices, and aren't terribly useful. If character data in the servers is to be mined and processed (as the devs have suggested), it would be nice if it could be used to suggest popular choices for a given slot, based on player popularity and other factors. And it wouldn't need to be just feats - you could apply this for powers, magic items, paragon paths, and other stuff.

With all the appropriate caveats about privacy, and that kind of stuff 
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
I see this as a low priority, long term idea, but I still think it would be pretty cool:

Use the cloud for build suggestions

Currently, build suggestions are limited to feat choices, and aren't terribly useful. If character data in the servers is to be mined and processed (as the devs have suggested), it would be nice if it could be used to suggest popular choices for a given slot, based on player popularity and other factors. And it wouldn't need to be just feats - you could apply this for powers, magic items, paragon paths, and other stuff.

With all the appropriate caveats about privacy, and that kind of stuff 

This would be great to see.. especially for suggested feats.  List the top 5-10 feats similar characters are choosing that your character qualifies for.  (Always by level then by Race/Class, Class, Role, Other..)
Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
-----------Checkpoint-----------

Additional comments re: character sharing (in the cloud)
When we share characters, a binary "This character is for me only" or "This character is shared for the whole world" decision is not adequare.  We should be able to specify who is allowed access to the character; we should also be able to grant both read and write access to shared characters.

As a quick suggestion, integration with community groups would be a good idea.  I have a group for my D&D game, my players are all in it.  Let them share their PCs with the group, or with just me.

Additional community integration would be cool (tab in a group for characters shared with it?  that sort of thing), but is also probably basically impossible to implement given that the community is outsourced.  But group membership for a standard ACL sharing scheme should be possible.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

1 (exports), 2 (sharing), 3 (original sheet), 6(summary), 7 (editable), 8 (viewer), have alot of overlap in goals.   They should not necessarily considered separate things.

I suggest, export to a .dd4e(?) file, and have offline viewer with editable character sheets (for both layout, and at-table use).

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Forum integration would be very cool (though i wouldn't consider it a high prioity).

Like.. If there was a little drop down box that had all my characters, and i could just click, and it would paste a summary, or i could PM someone my build, or i could list what i'm currently playing or have open access to char-op builds, ect..

guides
Power
my builds

8) Offline Viewer

Not sure if this falls in the not to be discussed options here, but depending on how the online CB is implemented, it might not be that much of a stretch to allow two things:

1. A version that can be run outside of the browser.  Silverlight 4 allows for that option without too much development effort.
2. A version that allows for you not to be logged into your account/online in order to use it.  Web based apps, especially if you're using Silverlight, can be made with a briefcase like architecture, i.e. you pull your information from online to cache it locally, and if the connection drops, or is not available, it saves it locally, so that when your connection is renewed, you are able to save it online.
I think a briefcase edition of the character builder would content a lot of the subscribers who have have expressed issues with the new model.

PS
It's amazing.  I'm at a convention right now (CarnageCon in Vermont - started 20 minutes ago) and the first thing everybody did was start pulling out their character builder.

Not sure if this falls in the not to be discussed options here, but depending on how the online CB is implemented, it might not be that much of a stretch to allow two things:

1. A version that can be run outside of the browser.  Silverlight 4 allows for that option without too much development effort.
2. A version that allows for you not to be logged into your account/online in order to use it.  Web based apps, especially if you're using Silverlight, can be made with a briefcase like architecture, i.e. you pull your information from online to cache it locally, and if the connection drops, or is not available, it saves it locally, so that when your connection is renewed, you are able to save it online.

To point #1 - PaoloM has made it pretty clear that while the application could, indeed, be made to run offline - you'd still need an active internet connection to get to the data - which will reside online, making it a rather moot point (unless/until you consider offline browsing capabilities for already-generated characters).

Much the same for #2 - it seems pretty evident that the database will only reside on WotC servers from here out. 

To point #1 - PaoloM has made it pretty clear that while the application could, indeed, be made to run offline - you'd still need an active internet connection to get to the data - which will reside online, making it a rather moot point (unless/until you consider offline browsing capabilities for already-generated characters).

Much the same for #2 - it seems pretty evident that the database will only reside on WotC servers from here out. 

Even if it requires connectivity, a version of the app that can run outside the browser still has merit.  Sometimes it's just nicer to have an app running "standalone" rather than inside a web browser.

Not a big deal to me, but it could have merit to some.

Well, I'm hoping that's a here and now stance, and that it might change in the future, which is why I bring it up.  Unless it's securing the content that's the big reason for the change, if enough people want it (and prioritize it), I hope it's a possibility for the future.  After all, you can't export now either... but it is coming, and is now a bigger priority because people asked.  Maybe this could do the same thing...

Even if it requires connectivity, a version of the app that can run outside the browser still has merit.  Sometimes it's just nicer to have an app running "standalone" rather than inside a web browser.

One big thing... the browser itself has some overhead, and it's own instabilities outside of the CB, so having just the CB would be a nice thing.

Unless it's securing the content that's the big reason for the change...

I think it is, and I say that as a supporter. It just makes sense from a business standpoint. 

On a more serious note, I would LOVE to see a fully featured API. Love love love love love. ... love.

If it works well enough I could build an iPad front-end for it. 

Unless it's securing the content that's the big reason for the change...

I think it is, and I say that as a supporter. It just makes sense from a business standpoint. 

On a more serious note, I would LOVE to see a fully featured API. Love love love love love. ... love.

If it works well enough I could build an iPad front-end for it. 

So... where is the situation to point to that the content has been pilfered from the downloaded content?  I don't think that's necessarily the issue.  After all, no one can seriously believe that it takes as long as the update does to download the new content.  It's because of the encryption.
1 (exports), 2 (sharing), 3 (original sheet), 6(summary), 7 (editable), 8 (viewer), have alot of overlap in goals.   They should not necessarily considered separate things.

I suggest, export to a .dd4e(?) file, and have offline viewer with editable character sheets (for both layout, and at-table use).

I was thinking the same, with regards to the 'old style' character sheets, editable sheets, and offline viewer specifically as well.

If an offline viewer (that could perform no character-data manipulation of any kind) could read the export file, provide any number of character sheet layout options (like CB does pretty well today), and allow saving of the tweaks you make (so every time you want to print, it's still there) - I would be far less bothered by the need to be online in order to level up.
Looking for work in IT or Logistics? Willing to relocate to western Michigan? Send me a PM.
Please add in a "ritual book" option for character sheets.  I have a Wizard with a large array of rituals from different sources and would like to have the info for each of his rituals printed off in a nice format.  At the very least, allow component cost and casting time to be appended to the ritual name.  The classic character builder will only print out names of rituals you own...  

-Scot
Please add in a "ritual book" option for character sheets.  I have a Wizard with a large array of rituals from different sources and would like to have the info for each of his rituals printed off in a nice format.  At the very least, allow component cost and casting time to be appended to the ritual name.  The classic character builder will only print out names of rituals you own...  

-Scot

Seconded, for rituals, and martial practices (alchemy too... I guess...).

Our House Rules
Index of 4e Errata
I am stealing this idea from another poster (Xandore) who suggested in in another thread:

For the 20 character limit:
Have the possibility of creating an infinite number of characters, the majority of which are stored on the computer, and then have the ability to upload 20 (or whatever the limit turns out to be) into the cloud.

Oooooh, I second that idea. 

An idea I had that might address some of the "I can't use the CB at my local gamestore/friends house without internet/whatever" issue is this.

If they don't want to have a full blown offline character builder, how about some sort of offline character viewer, once they can export to dnd4e files, anyway.  What I mean is something that you can't use to build or even level up a character, but you could pull up a character that you have saved locally and edit it in a way that would allow tracking of the sort of data one might be tracking during a game (character notes, potions used, etc) then when you are back in an area where you DO have access, you could synch it back up with the original file in the cloud.

Not a perfect solution, but it lets WOTC have its cake and the users without good online access to eat some of it at least.

-Scot

It's possible that the new character sheet has this on it somewhere?  I don't think we've seen the whole thing yet, have we?

2) Character Sharing
(within the cloud)

Further to the issue of sharing - community site integration would also be a very welcome option, or at least using community groups to setup ACL permissions for who can see what characters.

Sample: If I start a "WolfStar's Thursday Night Game" group, I could share characters back and forth with others in that group - but not with the rest of the world.

PaoloM has said that this is something interesting that they are looking into.

I would love to be able create a Group in this forum and let other members of the gaming group add to the group's wiki and update characters outside of gaming sessions.

I believe it would be a great place for GMs to store NPCs, and if the ability to block out certain parts of a character sheet become available a good place for PCs to view important NPCs [character sheet].
While, first off, I have to say that my current intention is not to use the new CB at all (I'll stick with the one I have), my mind could be changed if:

- Character data were exportable - this seems to be on the radar already, AND

- WotC would give some sort of undertaking, publically, about the ability to continue using 4E character builder functionality after 5E comes along.  My biggest concern with this development is that I will come to rely on this tool (as I already have on the existing CB) for the smooth running of my game and then it just gets yanked.  When 5E does come along I'll almost certainly give it a go - but I reserve the right to stay with 4E if I don't like it.  I know "I can just use pen and paper like we did back in the day" - I just don't see why I should put myself in the position of having to.  My past experience has been with eTools - remember that? - where all support was axed as soon as 4E was in preparation.  That experience has not left me overflowing with confidence on this score - and with eTools I at least ended up with a persistent program I could still use.
======= Balesir

-Scot

Seconded, for rituals, and martial practices (alchemy too... I guess...).

Yeah, I'll nominate this one, too.
I'd like to have the ability to pull up a character I've made and saved to the cloud, even if my subscription runs out.  I would not expect to be able to update it in any way, or expect it to remain indefinitely, but the ability to pull it up and print it, or just look at it as I wanted even without a current subscription would be awesome.

-Scot

+2

Yes yes yes.  This is huge for my campaign where rituals are used EVERY night. This would be hugely appreciated.

-Scot

It's possible that the new character sheet has this on it somewhere?  I don't think we've seen the whole thing yet, have we?

It's certainly possible, but it's not on the classic sheet, and Essentials seems to be ignoring rituals for now, so my guess is that they will not be included in the first release. 

Happy to be proven wrong though! 

-Scot
It's certainly possible, but it's not on the classic sheet, and Essentials seems to be ignoring rituals for now, so my guess is that they will not be included in the first release. 

Happy to be proven wrong though! 

-Scot

Hmm, I must have misunderstood what you were looking for because I thought the original sheet did have a place for rituals.  It couldn't do much more than list them, so I guess you're wanting something more than that?  I agree, that would be cool.