GW Cards - their use, and alternate suggestions

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just posted on the Gamma Whirl blog about the GW cards, their basic default use, and suggested various ways for GMs to use them alternately. You can check out the entry by clicking here if you want.

Since this is the subject of lots of conversations on various message boards, I thought I would share some ideas in this regard. Feedback is always welcome, of course.

Alternately, if you have suggestions for alternate uses of your own, by all means, please share them on this thread!
Hopefully GMs will find some ideas and inspiration that way.

Cheers! -Odh.
Well, one simple thing you can do is roll rather than draw.

40 Alpha and 40 Omega?  1d4 for the tens and 1d10 for the ones.  So a 3 and a 7 comes up, that's Vampire Healing.

The Atom cards have 60 of each, so that'd be a d6 and a d10.  You'd have to make a chart as they aren't simply numbered 1-60 and 61-120. 
Good point. I didn't think about using dice instead of the cards.
I'm thinking of a number of possible variations involving the use of cards.

A basic 'common sense' one for Omega Tech,
the Finders Keepers Omega Variant:

• Players do not start with Omega Tech and cannot build their own Omega Deck from boosters.

• The DM can 'stack' or 'salt' his Omega Deck to represent the items that  could be in a given area the players or exploring. 

• The DM can pick specific cards and place them in an area, or even in the hands of a creature that might use them against the PCs. 

• When a player gets an Omega Tech card, either by taking it from the cold dead hands/paws/tentacles of the enemy that was using it, or by drawing it while searching an area, he gets to keep and use it, just like the normal rules for Omega tech.

• When the player fails an Omega Charge Check, and doesn't salvage the item, he still retains the card.  When he accumulates seven or more such cards, he builds them into a Player Omega Deck after his next extended rest. 

• A player with a Omega Deck uses the regular rules for decks, he can roll to see if he can draw from his deck, or the DMs, he places any failed Omega Tech that he can't or chooses not to salvage into his discard pile, including items drawn from the DM deck.

• A player Deck still has a limit of 2 of the same item, but count a salvaged item against the limit, also.  So if you salvage a laser pistol, you can only have one laser pistol in your deck. 

• A draw from a player Omega Deck does not represent finding a new charged item of the same type, but represents finding a power cell, charging station, spare part, similar item that can be canibalized, or other means of returning a peice of Omega Tech to full functionality.

• The DM can place a limit on the size of a Player's Omega Deck (you can only cart around so much junk), or disallow retaining impractically large items without salvaging them (like a Minitank ).  The size limit aplies to the deck, plus salvaged items.

Similarly, for Alpha Mutations,
The Stable Mutation Alpha Variant: 

• The DM builds an Alpha deck.  This can be the deck that came with the game, a subset of it, or a customized deck using starting and booster cards.  Cards with a name not in the DM's deck are implicitly banned from play.

• At chargen, each player draws 4 cards from the Alpha Deck, these cards become his base Player Deck.  If the DM has duplicates in his deck, the player may draw duplicate mutations, but cannot have more than two of the same mutation, return any third-of-a-kind card to the DM's Deck.

• At levels 4 and 8 the player draws an additional Alpha Card and adds it to his Player Deck.

• When a Player experiences an Alpha Surge, he discards a readied card back to the Deck he drew it from (his player deck, unless the card was drawn from the DM's deck, as from a previous Alpha Surge in the same encounter, for instance) and rolls a d20.  On a '10' or higher, he can choose to draw from his deck or the DM deck.  On a '9' or less, he draws from the DM deck.  When the card drawn is discarded, it goes to the discard pile of the deck it was drawn from.  Alpha Surges do not change the Player's Alpha Deck, they are always 'temporary' or unstable mutations.

• Players can choose to add their own cards (from the base set or boosters) to their Alpha Decks.  They can up to double the size of their decks in this manner.  Cards not in an existing deck (player or DM) cannot be added to a player deck, but a player could, with DM aproval, add a card to his deck if he contributes an identical card to the DM's deck (so anyone might draw it).  Each card added to a player deck must be different from each other card added, but may duplicate a card already in the deck, as long as the deck does not already contain two of that card.

• Since unaugmented player decks in this variant are very small, the players who have not added their own cards to their Decks may re-build their Decks after each short rest.  Players who have added to their decks re-build their Alpha Decks at the end of each extended rest, only.    A player who runs out of Alpha cards must draw from the DM deck until he rebuilds his own deck.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Thank you for the cool variants, Tony!
Well, one simple thing you can do is roll rather than draw.

40 Alpha and 40 Omega?  1d4 for the tens and 1d10 for the ones.  So a 3 and a 7 comes up, that's Vampire Healing.

The Atom cards have 60 of each, so that'd be a d6 and a d10.  You'd have to make a chart as they aren't simply numbered 1-60 and 61-120. 

That actually gives you results from 10 (d4=1/d10=0) to 49 (d4=4/d10=9) which is 39 numbers, so your missing one and you have to minus 10 from the result to get the assigned number. Without a "0" on the d4, you won't get numbers from 01 to 09.

A fun solution would be a special d10 with a repeat of numbers 0-4.

10 to 49 is, indeed, 40 numbers.

Say you do d4-1 for 0-3, and d10 for units.   (or, you could roll a d4 and count the 4 as zero)

Either way, you get a result of 00-39, which is 40 numbers, count 00 as 40.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I've been thinking of this subject as well.  I like the card mechanic of the game.  For the forseeable future we will be using the Gm deck, until we get a hold of the game system and what all the cards mean i.e. psi, bio, dark, Ishtar, Xi, area 52.  But in the future I plan to use Pc decks, when as a group we have enough cards. 

Certain adventures would call for certain builds in decks.  For example exploring a ruined outpost of the machine civilization of the Xi, both Gm and player decks would be stacked with Xi Omega tech.  A Gm could require all Xi tech player decks with random tech of other sources only available in the Gm deck.  Maybe out of a 7 card deck, 4 cards must be Xi tech.

I like the idea of mutagen areas.  For example, a large psi crystal lies ib the middle of the battle field.  Pcs next to it rolling a 4 or less on a d20, draws an alpha mutation from the Gms deck, stacked with psi alpha mutations cards.  A genetics laboratory complex could be polluted with mutagen,  when a player draws a alpha mutation card, they draw 2 cards and must take any bio alpha mutation card of all others.  If no card drawn is a bio, or if both are bio then the player decides to keep one card and reshuffle the other card into the deck. 

These are some of the ideas I have for using the cards in the Gamma world game, player and Gm decks customized to the enviroment the heroes find themselves.