when will mystra be back?

164 posts / 0 new
Last post
i keep hearing she ll be back.. but how? when? and from where do people hear/read it? help please...
hearing things....
A while back I asked something to Mr Greenwood about :
the weave is the essence of mystra, and all magical items from that time were created with the weave.

it was a three part question, but the last one was something like

with all the magical items Elminster fed the Symbul, and the combined fragments of the weave combined within her, does she become the next Mystra?

or something like that, anyway.

the first twwo were yes and yes.

the last was NDA.

so as far as we can tell you, read Elminster must Die and draw your own conclusions

Praise the Art
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Officially? No idea.

Unofficially? IMO, Mystra can be reborn if someone manages to harvest all of the areas of active Spellplague and find a vessel that can hold them.

So, can anyone say "Body of Karse" and "Pyramids of Ascore"?
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Hopefully never.
Hopefully never.

Shhh, WoTC likes to listen to the lone voice in the woods.  I for one hope that they bring here back because to me Mystra WAS the Realms.  Not having her around (whatever her incarnation) makes it not feel like the Realms but a poor pathetic copy.
Hopefully never.

+ one biiiillion. 
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I'd like to report the VCL for being bias.......JK

we wany mystra back, just not midnight
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Hopefully never.

Blasphemy!!!

Yes, I agree, it's a BLASPHEMY!!!! 
And, frankly, I'd really like it if Mystryl came back!!!
She comes back when it's most convenient for my campaign.

Thus far, she's only returned once, at that was at the end of the game.
Wow... guess a lot of people here hadn't read Elminster Must Die! yet.
Show
Yep, she's back (or someone's got her powers and claiming to be her) as of the end of the novel. More information should be forthcoming in Bury Elminster Deep.

Can't say I'll be upset when those that are against her are crying when she does come back.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Douglas Adams I ♥ My Realms
Show
Actually, it's been discussed with Ed over at Candlekeep that Storm would recognize if it was her mother or an imposter.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Douglas Adams I ♥ My Realms

That's because he really must die, but we know he's not so what's the point in reading it?
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
what was the point of you taking part in this conversation

what was the point of the conversation

why have we not wone the lotto yet

why has Sazz not seen what BAne was really doing

what was Cyric smoking and why did he not share it with shar

Torm take ye!!

I'm going to read it when it's out in paperback.
However, from what Ed hinted, the event you are talking about is not Mystra. Then again, I didn't get the full conversation and am too lazy too look it up.

Gomez
@Dragon9: Elminster will die right after Drizzt.

@Gomez: The conversation I'm talking about is the discussion on the Epilogue in the book.
Show
It might be taken multiple ways, but LHO's comment
Storm is awakened by a voice in her head (not in her ears) that she is sure is - - MUST be - - Mystra

is the one that I'm taking to mean she recognizes the voice as he mother.

@goldomark: That's one of the theories put forth. Another is that he may be next in line... ;)
Here's an interesting spoiler / reveal from The Hooded One (THO) on Candlekeep, regarding the end of the novel Elminster Must Die:
forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=...

Scroll down to THO's post of Oct 4th, 2010.  It's a MAJOR SPOILER which appears to answer the question of Mystra's survival, without much room to debate.

Rarely does THO (or Ed Greenwood for that matter) provide such a clear answer.  Or is it?  HAHAHA!

erdana,Arial,Helvetica">erdana,Arial,Helvetica; font-size:x-small">
They have killed too many of the ones I like. My group has moved away from Forgotten Realms for the first time since the original release all of those years ago. We have started playing Planescape (which Wizard's also killed), because between all of us we have the material and it was a fantastic setting.

If they do repair the Realms in a way that suits us I will come back, I LOVE the setting. Eilistraee was too much, Mystra (again) was way too much. If they make Selune the new goddess of magic, and move her back to a higher power status, I could live with that. We don't have any good drow in our campaign but we had good relations with the followers of Eilistraee. I don't agree that the Seldarine are not a good fit.
praise the art
@Dragon9: Elminster will die right after Drizzt.

Ain't that the truth?
Killing Mystra was the single best thing to ever happen to the realms. If they ever bring her back that will be a complete travesty.

Edit: Elminster and Drizzt will never die as they have too much Mary Sue and Plot Armor between them. Not even a moon could kill them.
Frankly, too much damage has been done to the Realms.  Even if they did bring back Mystra, it wouldn't fix things such that I'd be interested in using the setting now.  Eilistraee and many other deites are still dead (or gone, or totally screwed up), the spellplague BS is everywhere, earthmotes are totally ridiculous, Halruaa is utterly gone, and this nonsense with Abeir and the dragon-people would still be there.  No, bringing back Mystra would only be a tiny bandaid on somthing that's been mortally wounded.

The only thing they haven't completely screwed up is Kara-Tur, and that's because they haven't said a word about it.
The only thing they haven't completely screwed up is Kara-Tur, and that's because they haven't said a word about it.

QFT, lol.

Actually, I seem to recall something about Kara-Tur... ah.  Okay, I found it in the FRCG.  Here it is (page 143):

EASTERN LANDS

The Endless Wastes give way to the young Tuigan kingdom of Yaïmunnahar and the continent of Kara-Tur, neither of which are shown on most Faerûnian maps. Kozakura and Shou Lung are great nations within Kara-Tur, and the Spellplague was at least as destructive there as it was in Faerûn. In the last hundred years more immigrants from Kara-Tur have begun to settle in Yaïmunnahar and Faerûn, bringing their cultures and unorthodox fighting styles with them.

I underlined the most important part.

Killing Mystra was the single best thing to ever happen to the realms. If they ever bring her back that will be a complete travesty.

snipped out yer edit.

not true.

its nothing more than a cardboard repeating disease.

they axed the deity of magic twice before, and its not the fans of the deity of magic, it just is how they are written.

Midnight was a joke though
Mystra will come back when Hoar shuffles off his shackles, ganks Bane (though probably doesn't kill him; Bane is a greater power after all) and becomes "Karma" in the Realms.

What goes aound, comes around.
Frak Mystra. I want Vhaeraun back. Oh wait he isn't dead. OK, I want Selvetarm back.
It's spelled Corellon Larethian, not Correlon, Correllon, Correlllon, Corellion, Correlian or any other way of getting it wrong. I'm a total grognard and I still play 4E.
Mystras already back, she never went anywhere, she just needs a new mortal vessel is all.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Mystras already back, she never went anywhere, she just needs a new mortal vessel is all.

Srsly?

A long time ago Karsus wanted to be the god of magic, but it was 'too much' for a mortal to handle. Then they give it to some girl who happened to be standing there when the original Mystra died. Now they're going to give it to the first one to find all the pieces of the MacGuffin?

Creating a spell not seen on Toril before or since isn't good enough, Karsus, you have to win the scavenger hunt. :facepalm:

The Sundering- "Hmmm... That last Realms Shaking Event sure did mess things up... I know!!! Let's have another one to fix it!"

Mystic_Lemur-

It's actually much worse than that.  Karsus was one of the most magically gifted and intelligent individuals to ever live in Faerûn - definitely in the top ten, and somewhere near the top three at that.  Sure, he was probably arrogant and was overreaching - find me a wizard who doesn't fit at least one of those criteria.  So, Mystryl commits suicide and her divine essence falls from the sky and it literally smacks a mentally challenged farm girl in the head who becomes Mystra.  Mind you, the second version of Mystra was so mentally challenged that she had to be cared for by others.  That's like a kick in the balls to Karsus.

During the Time of Troubles it's pretty clear that Mystra 2.0 reverted back to her old self prior to becoming a deity, because she stupidly gets killed.  That's when Midnight becomes Mystra 3.0, and it wasn't exactly as if Midnight was all that 'worthy' of being a deity herself.  That's pretty much proven in how she ultimately ends up getting ganked by Cyric.

If Mystra returns this will make Mystra 4.0, and the third time Karsus is mocked from the grave.

Poor fool.  Tongue out

It will also be an incredibly stupid move and just prove the character is just a Mary-Sue.

Mystic_Lemur-

It's actually much worse than that.  Karsus was one of the most magically gifted and intelligent individuals to ever live in Faerûn - definitely in the top ten, and somewhere near the top three at that.  Sure, he was probably arrogant and was overreaching - find me a wizard who doesn't fit at least one of those criteria.  So, Mystryl commits suicide and her divine essence falls from the sky and it literally smacks a mentally challenged farm girl in the head who becomes Mystra.  Mind you, the second version of Mystra was so mentally challenged that she had to be cared for by others.  That's like a kick in the balls to Karsus.

During the Time of Troubles it's pretty clear that Mystra 2.0 reverted back to her old self prior to becoming a deity, because she stupidly gets killed.  That's when Midnight becomes Mystra 3.0, and it wasn't exactly as if Midnight was all that 'worthy' of being a deity herself.  That's pretty much proven in how she ultimately ends up getting ganked by Cyric.

If Mystra returns this will make Mystra 4.0, and the third time Karsus is mocked from the grave.

Poor fool.  Tongue out

Where did the lore come from that she was some mentally challenged farm girl?

Where did the lore come from that she was some mentally challenged farm girl?

I'm 98% sure it came from Ed Greenwood years ago over at Candlekeep - although I couldn't immediately find it.  I'll keep looking though, and if I do find it I'll post a link.  

Muhaha! Do not underestimate my Google-fu! I found it.

It appears Ed went even further than I remembered. He didn't call her "mentally challenged" as I did - he called her "mindless" and "drooling."  Here is the quote in full:

In the case of Mystryl, she sacrificed herself, not foreseeing that she’d be reborn. She had no Chosen or preselected mortal vessel, and did not know or intend that she’d “live on.” She simply did what she believed she had to do, to end a threat to the world she loved.

However, the circumstances of her passing prevented other deities from snaring her divine power, and largely prevented its dispersal, and it “fell like a dying star” to earth (or so the priests of Mystra say) to at random strike and “go into” a mindless, drooling mortal woman and infuse her with Mystryl’s divinity, so that she became Mystra. (Of course, clergy of Mystra speak of the woman being present and selected as “divine fate” and not random at all, but this is one of the Holy Mysteries of the Lady of Mysteries that only high-ranking clergy are allowed to discuss in detail; lay worshippers and non-believers won’t get much more out of a priest of Mystra than this: “When Mystryl made the ultimate and most holy sacrifice that defended Toril itself, that which was best of her fell to earth, and struck a mortal woman, and went into her, and Mystryl was reborn as Mystra, as she was fated to do, that we may all have magic that serves us and not the howling chaos of wild magic spellstorms.”

We don’t know anything about the mortal woman who became Mystra other than these things: she was young, she was “mindless” (for reasons unknown; it may have been a birth defect or a later affliction), she was a poor rural unknown somewhere in the northern, western Heartlands being cared for by kin, and she was changed in looks and stature by Mystra’s “going in” to her. I’d say more, but NDAs forbid.

Here is the link that I promised.

Also, while on my search I stumbled upon something else relevant to the topic being discussed.

Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed herewith makes reply to MaskedOne’s recent “semi-related questions,” to whit: “What would probably have occurred if the Karsus Avatar spell had been permitted to reach completion rather than Mystril suiciding to counter-act it?  What did Mystril believe would occur if the spell was permitted to go on?”

Dagnirion posted a suggestion, but Ed’s reply differs:

Ascension to godhood under those circumstances would have stolen power from all of the gods (to achieve the ascension and make Karsus a god, and to give him divine power), in a surge that Mystril was very much afraid (and probably rightly) that Karsus would have been unable to handle, mentally and physically, so he’d have promptly been ruined and the magic would have “surged” back and forth around Toril, doing great damage and spawning many wild magic “storms.”
She was also afraid that if Karsus succeeded in any way (survived, no matter how damaged), all of the other Netherese archwizards would have tried it too - - and collectively torn the fabric of the Prime Material asunder, destroying Realmspace and everything in it, or at least twisting it beyond all recognition and smashing all life cycles and ecosystems, dooming uncounted millions of living things to slow extinction. And all so one demonstrably proud, foolish, and cruel madman could have the shining toy he wanted, but couldn’t understand.

Here is the link to that.

It will also be an incredibly stupid move and just prove the character is just a Mary-Sue.

Muhaha! Do not underestimate my Google-fu! I found it.

It appears Ed went even further than I remembered. He didn't call her "mentally challenged" as I did - he called her "mindless" and "drooling."  Here is the quote in full:

In the case of Mystryl, she sacrificed herself, not foreseeing that she’d be reborn. She had no Chosen or preselected mortal vessel, and did not know or intend that she’d “live on.” She simply did what she believed she had to do, to end a threat to the world she loved.

However, the circumstances of her passing prevented other deities from snaring her divine power, and largely prevented its dispersal, and it “fell like a dying star” to earth (or so the priests of Mystra say) to at random strike and “go into” a mindless, drooling mortal woman and infuse her with Mystryl’s divinity, so that she became Mystra. (Of course, clergy of Mystra speak of the woman being present and selected as “divine fate” and not random at all, but this is one of the Holy Mysteries of the Lady of Mysteries that only high-ranking clergy are allowed to discuss in detail; lay worshippers and non-believers won’t get much more out of a priest of Mystra than this: “When Mystryl made the ultimate and most holy sacrifice that defended Toril itself, that which was best of her fell to earth, and struck a mortal woman, and went into her, and Mystryl was reborn as Mystra, as she was fated to do, that we may all have magic that serves us and not the howling chaos of wild magic spellstorms.”

We don’t know anything about the mortal woman who became Mystra other than these things: she was young, she was “mindless” (for reasons unknown; it may have been a birth defect or a later affliction), she was a poor rural unknown somewhere in the northern, western Heartlands being cared for by kin, and she was changed in looks and stature by Mystra’s “going in” to her. I’d say more, but NDAs forbid.

Here is the link that I promised.

Also, while on my search I stumbled upon something else relevant to the topic being discussed.

Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed herewith makes reply to MaskedOne’s recent “semi-related questions,” to whit: “What would probably have occurred if the Karsus Avatar spell had been permitted to reach completion rather than Mystril suiciding to counter-act it?  What did Mystril believe would occur if the spell was permitted to go on?”

Dagnirion posted a suggestion, but Ed’s reply differs:

Ascension to godhood under those circumstances would have stolen power from all of the gods (to achieve the ascension and make Karsus a god, and to give him divine power), in a surge that Mystril was very much afraid (and probably rightly) that Karsus would have been unable to handle, mentally and physically, so he’d have promptly been ruined and the magic would have “surged” back and forth around Toril, doing great damage and spawning many wild magic “storms.”
She was also afraid that if Karsus succeeded in any way (survived, no matter how damaged), all of the other Netherese archwizards would have tried it too - - and collectively torn the fabric of the Prime Material asunder, destroying Realmspace and everything in it, or at least twisting it beyond all recognition and smashing all life cycles and ecosystems, dooming uncounted millions of living things to slow extinction. And all so one demonstrably proud, foolish, and cruel madman could have the shining toy he wanted, but couldn’t understand.

Here is the link to that.

Excellent, thanks for the link.

Did you just claim that a GODDESS is a Mary Sue Character?

Why do I keep coming back to these boards....
Yes, a goddess who keeps springing back to life through incredibly ridiculous narrative elements can indeed be described as a Mary-Sue. Just as much as any other similar kind of authors pet.

Come on.  I mean... really?

Did anyone here HONESTLY believe that Mystra was going to stay dead?  I knew right from the moment she was declared dead that they'd bring her back somehow.  Never forget the First Law Of Resurrection.

We all know that Mystra has Contractual Immortality - she will always be back in one form or another.  It doesn't matter if she's some disembodied voice inside some crazy man's head, she'll find a way to claw herself back.  She always does and she always will.  She is the Kenny of the Realms.  I'm just waiting for the following dialog to appear in a Realms novel:

Mystra's Chosen #1817: Oh no, they killed Mystra!
Elminster: You bastards!

...and yes, I do love TV Tropes.

Did you just claim that a GODDESS is a Mary Sue Character?

Why do I keep coming back to these boards....

I ask myself this very question

I could dig a Vampire Clone of Mystra...

Mystrawars between her clones could be really fun...

HAND OF KARSUS!

Yes, a goddess who keeps springing back to life through incredibly ridiculous narrative elements can indeed be described as a Mary-Sue. Just as much as any other similar kind of authors pet.

So Bane isn't a Mary-sue because he didn't comback under the 'ridiculous narrative elements' clause.Wink 
ooooo Mask is going to be a Mary-Sue in a few years!  Hooray for Mask!

Here is a good one for everyone to enjoy.  Any Deity/Primordial/Immortal in the D&D game system or novels is a Mary-Sue because they are a Deity/Primordial/Immortal.

But wait there is more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one is even better....every player character raised from dead or resurrected is a Mary-Sue!!!

The next time my DM allows me to raise a character and uses a narrative element at the game table, I will stand up and yell, "My character ain't a Mary-Sue!! Curse you forever!!"

Then I'm going to tear up the character sheet, burn the peices, then erase the DM's DDi account. 

Just to be sure my character will never come back as a Mary-sue.

Bahwahahahahahahahahaha!

Remember, no matter where ever you go, there you are. --Shaundakul