11/04/2010 TD: "Anything but Standard"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Basically, the format is wide open to beatdown, control, combo, and hybrid decks. Innovation and new viable decks are everywhere.

(just as long as you have a suite of the big ticket mythics)

Frost Titan is starting to push in that direction.
I was about to say the same thing.  To be fair, goblins, weenie quest, and ascension are relatively cheap.  It seems like you only need the big ticket mythics if you want to interact.
I think that's a fair summary. Its a shame because I find decks which 'interact' far more interesting to play with and against. That they default to running four copies of the same handful of costly mythics etc is rather limiting.

Mike doesn't ever comment on such things, or even comment that he doesn't comment on such things. I think that's a weakness in his assessment of the format, but that's his choice. His is a world where you have four copies of every card you want.

Even so, to suggest that a format is "wide open" I would still have expected him to address the ubiquitousness of Jace. It made the article read either as poorly debated or lazily concluded, or both.
What's really worrying is that money mythics are now creeping into decks that were until now the last bastion of budget-Standard respectability, i.e Red Deck Wins.

It used to be that you could sleeve that up very cheaply indeed and you had a shot. Ok, not being able to afford playsets of mythics meant you could basically only play one deck, but at least you had something (the other "budget" deck, Jund, obviously having rotated out). Now Mox Opal and Molten-Tail Masticore are creeping into those decks too (not to mention Koth of the Hammer, who will surely see play).

Ironically enough, the title of this article sums up my feelings about my Magic life at the moment - "Anything But Standard"!!
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------
Sign In to post comments