Omega tech armor/weapons

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How is Omega Tech that occupies an armor weapon slot supposed to work?

E.g.: the Mk 1 laser pistol and Mk 1 power armor.

Does the power armor count as heavy armor (i.e.: providing the armor bonus and speed penalty) or does it just occupy the "heavy armor" slot? If the latter, it seems like a pretty crap item to me... you're giving up a big bonus to AC for resist 5 all for one round?

Ditto with the laser pistol - does it count as a 1 handed ranged weapon with a once per encounter shot, or is it something that you can only shoot once per encounter? I guess this kind of makes sense with the Ammo rules, but this makes two items that are arguably better when salvaged than as Omega Tech...

I couldn't find any reference in the rules to the various "slots" for Omega Tech and how they are supposed to work - am I just missing something?
I think the answer to this question lies in the fact that you can already describe your armor and your weapon any way you want.

So, to use your armor example, I can already describe my heavy armor as "cast off Mk1 power armor, but the batteries don't work." When I play my "Mk 1 power armor" card and get the DR 5 for one turn. Only after you salvage the item do you replace your ordinary heavy armor with the Mk 1 power armor's salvaged stats.

Likewise, I can make my light one-handed ranged weapon a "Mk 1 laser pistol" if I want, and I can shoot it every round. It just doesn't do a lot of damage. Your GM might even let you say your light one-handed firearm is a laser that you can shoot once per round if you have ammo, though I expect most guns are presumed to use bullets. Then you can play your Mk 1 laser pistol card during an encounter, and salvage it at the end of the encounter, and replace your usual weapon with it.

That's how I would play it, at least. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Hmmm... not by my reading of the rules. In order to use an Omega Tech item, you have to ready it. Admittedly, by my read the rules are very vague on what the slots mean, and I'm probably bringing a bit of D&D into it here, but I would have thought that readying the item involves occupying that slot.

It's fine if you assume that either:
1) the slot information on the omega tech card is superflous (at least until rules are published for what it means);
2) you can ready as many items as you like in each slot, and they don't fill the non-omega tech slots (essentially the same as the first, now that I think about it).

Alternativley, you can assume that omega tech fills lsots, and you can only have 1 of each type of omega tech in each slot, but that it doesn't stop you from having non-omega tech items in the same slots. I guess I can live with that, although it's not entirely satisfying.
Ah, I see your problem. It is twofold.

First off, you are assuming that there is such a thing as item slots. This is not true. Nowhere do the rules mention item slots at all. The closest the rulebook gets is:

1) Commenting that some weapons require two hands, so you'll have to aquire a third hand somehow if you want to use a 2H Weapon and a shield.

2) The rule that only the highest AC bonus of what your wearing applies. It ALSO comments that you CAN wear a mysterious trenchcoat over your riot armor to look like a badass, but that you'll only get the AC of the riot armor, since it's higher.

Note that #2 implies several things:
1) Armor worn underneath something else is NOT negated entirely like in standard 4E.
2) Armor worn over something else is not negated, because the rules never say so. You only get the highest bonus. This is of course, a normal extension of the fact that typed bonuses don't stack.
3) You could, in fact, wear an Omega Tech armor without an AC bonus under or over your normal armor, recieveing the AC of your normal armor and the benefits of the Omega Tech.

Now, there is in fact, no definition whatsoever of things like "Waist", "Head", "Feet" and other such things in Omega Tech cards. Presumably, they are there simply to let you know where things go, since the name of an item might not be self-explanitory. We can, for the sake of simplicity call those 'item slots', but they have no relation at all to things that may or may not be described in the 4E Players Handbook.

These 'item slots' are not defined in the book simply because there is no way of predicting how many of a given slot a GW character may have. There are cards that grant extra arms. (Hence #1). There are cards that grant extra heads (Two-Headed Promo Card). There are origins whose body form is questionable - they might not even be humanoid at all. What about a Plant Rat Swarm? They very well might not have feet, or even hands for that matter. Or a waist.

Part of the game is about creativity, and you never know what sort of bizzarre creation you'll end up with. "Item Slots" are, quite frankly, up to the player to decide on how he's shaped, and up to the DM whether or not to veto / balance / allow what slots the player gets.
Part Two

A little common sense will answer your question. There cannot be such a thing as a "Heavy Armor Slot" because:

1) There is no such thing as item or armor slots in GW.
2). The game clearly uses an example of wearing more than one kind of armor at a time.
3). If there was a "Heavy Armor Slot", then there would also be "Light Armor Slot" as well, and you could where both and get the full benefits of each.

Therefore, it must mean that Power Armor is, in fact, Heavy Armor.

This is corroborated by Weapon cards, which are labeled such things as "1 Handed Ranged", "2 Handed Melee" and so on, which are item types, not slots. Thus by extention, since cards are uniform in thier presentation, the field that states "Armor: Heavy" is an item type, and thus governed by all the rules of Heavy Armor.

Likewise, to answer the question on Laser Pistols:

The Lasor Pistol, in its Omega Tech form, its listed as a 1 Handed Ranged. This means it functions as all 1 Handed Ranged weapons do, with exception as to whats written on the card, due to Specific vs General. Since the card is listed as an Encounter Power when charged, it is therefore usable once.

However, when salvaged, the stats change. It is given a list of stats, all of which are consistent with an entry you would find under the weapons table, albeit with slightly different values. Since it is subject to the weapon rules, and it no longer has a power entry in its changed state, it follows all the normal rules of ranged weapons, and thus can be used at will.

Finis.
Right, so it's as I surmised in my first post then? Namely:
  1. If an Omega Tech card has a slot/type that corresponds with a normal piece of equipment (heavy armor, 1 handed ranged, etc), then it counts as that type of equipment as well as having the stated power and/or benefits.

2. If an Omega Tech card has a slot/type that doesn't correspond with a normal piece of equipment (head, waist, neck, etc), then it's for information purposes only.

I can live wth that, and it generally makes sense, although it does introduce some weird complications where you might want to fail your recharge roll because you'll improve the basic stats of the item when salvaged (at the expense of losing the encounter power and/or other benefits)...
Right, so it's as I surmised in my first post then?

Yep, pretty much.

. . . it does introduce some weird complications where you might want to fail your recharge roll because you'll improve the basic stats of the item when salvaged (at the expense of losing the encounter power and/or other benefits)...

Yes, that is also true. In fact, I find that many of the cards are very desirable draws for just that reason. I don't think I've seen any cases where what the item does is actually better, though many are desirable as salvage simply because their weapon or armor stats are far better than what youd otherwise be using.