Last post
Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Nalmir, level 30
Eladrin, Battlemind|Swordmage, Evermeet Warlock, Sage of Ages
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Pact Initiate: Pact Initiate (infernal pact)
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Thunder
Arcane Admixture Power: Sword Burst
Quickened Spellcasting: Sword Burst

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 24, Dex 14, Int 26, Wis 12, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12.

AC: 46 Fort: 41 Reflex: 40 Will: 38
HP: 213 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 53

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +38, Diplomacy +23, Endurance +27, Arcana +40, History +40

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Bluff +18, Dungeoneering +22, Heal +16, Insight +16, Intimidate +18, Nature +22, Perception +16, Stealth +17, Streetwise +18, Thievery +17, Athletics +15

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Eladrin Swordmage Advance
Level 8: Ubiquitous Step (retrained to Resounding Thunder at Level 11)
Level 10: Pact Initiate
Level 11: Arcane Admixture
Level 12: Ubiquitous Step
Level 14: Paragon Defenses
Level 16: Eladrin Soldier
Level 18: Feywild Advance
Level 20: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
Level 21: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 22: Rapid Aegis Reaction
Level 24: Strength Through Challenge
Level 26: Battlemind Menace
Level 28: Swordmage Implement Expertise
Level 30: Rapid Regeneration

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Twisted Eye
Hybrid at-will 1: Sword Burst
Psionic Defense (Hybrid): Blurred Step
Hybrid daily 1: Vanishing Blade
Hybrid utility 2: Mythal Recovery
Hybrid encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex
Hybrid daily 5: Inconstant Location
Hybrid utility 6: Deliverance of Faith
Hybrid at-will/encounter 7: Lightning Rush
Hybrid daily 9: Iron Tomb
Hybrid utility 10: Battle Aspect
Hybrid at-will/encounter 13: Intellect Snap (replaces Twisted Eye)
Hybrid daily 15: Rubicant's Assault (replaces Vanishing Blade)
Hybrid utility 16: Borrowed Confidence
Hybrid at-will/encounter 17: Thundering Vortex (replaces Dimensional Vortex)
Hybrid daily 19: Mind Blade (replaces Iron Tomb)
Hybrid utility 22: Shackled Warding
Hybrid at-will/encounter 23: Might of the Ogre (replaces Intellect Snap)
Hybrid daily 25: Psychic Hammer (replaces Inconstant Location)
Hybrid at-will/encounter 27: Mind of Mirrors (replaces Might of the Ogre)
Hybrid daily 29: Astral Thunder Blade (replaces Rubicant's Assault)

ITEMS
Boots of Striding (heroic tier), Feyslaughter Longsword +6, Flowform Starleather Armor +6, Cloak of Translocation +6, Planestrider Boots (paragon tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Opal Ring of Remembrance (epic tier), Circlet of Arkhosia (epic tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Notes

Basically, the idea is to repeatedly teleport next to adjacent enemies, turn invisible to them by teleporting away from them, and then set them up for hurt via a variety of nasty immediates. As levels go higher, it starts to have a phenomenal set of 'hey, I'm not missing you and you're now unconscious/stunned/etc...' going on.

Blurred Step is key to this - many marked opponents are just not going to really try to hit the invisible opponent next to them, but rather shift away and charge. When they shift, he gets to teleport Int and break it up into two parts - moving next to one of their friends and then moving back to them. Then when they charge, he OAs for a melee basic and then teleports next to another friend, then back to them and swats them again for another melee basic.

Some people were asking about this - here's where it is at the moment. Items/Feats still need to be tweaked, I'm following CB over Essentials - his defenses ought to be +2 to all of NADs. Etc...

Thoughts?
Niice.

If out of combat stuff, needs a tweak, the Arcana Opt thread centers around Sage of Ages.
I figure mWizard feat just to get the automatic Rituals, max one utiity, and the basic Aid Another,
would bump that up to more than enough level. Or someone else in the party does the mWizard part.

You don't use many Cognizance Crystals in this set-up, eh?

5E mini- SRD available now in HTML here:  http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Thanks. I generally try to avoid consumable use in my builds. Very DM dependent, especially with Rarity.

Warlock is necessary for the build. No Wizard for it.
Hum, this is kind of similar (but very different specifics) to a build I've been working on; I was going with a Paladin/Evermeet Warlock who uses Staff of Travel in order to get his teleports; the idea was that divine challenge/divine sanction doesn't require actions to trigger, so he gets to do it to as many people as he can sanction at a time; and once he hits epic, weakening challenge makes it so that virtually all the enemies either attack him while he's invisible, or they do half damage to whoever they do attack.

Thoughts on comparisons between the two builds? 
What happens when they just turn around and attack you?  Do you have any way to teleport if they just sit on you?  (I suggest ethereal sidestep since you are a warlock anyway).

Second, do you not need double aegis/total aegis?
What happens when they just turn around and attack you?  Do you have any way to teleport if they just sit on you?  (I suggest ethereal sidestep since you are a warlock anyway).

Second, do you not need double aegis/total aegis?

Any of the following ways:
Eladrin
Ubiquitous Step(2nd use of Fey Step after running out of PP)
Vanishing Blade, Inconstant Location, and Battle Aspect are all Daily powers that give some kind of Teleport as either a free or move action once per round.
At higher level Planestrider Boots give another teleport.

All of them give a little more distance than Ethereal Sidestep, mostly item-independent too. If they decide to sit on me, I'm likely to be able to stack my teleports in such a way that I'm invisible to a bunch of them.

Double Aegis & Total Aegis are nice, but I've got 2 marks and a bunch of interrupt powers.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more BM|SM builds posted, this seems like a great meshing of styles, looks like a lot of fun to play (I'm a sucker for interesting defenders). And the best thing about the battlemind's mark is its generic (and at will) nature, I always get a little frustrated on my swordmage|warlock about the restrictions of a hybrid SM's mark.
Notes/questions:

1. What regeneration do you have that is benefiting from Rapid Regeneration?

2. I assume Arcane Admixture is Thunder on your Swordburst?  Do you have any added tricks to make that swordburst better than a multimark?  I realize that it's area damage, but it's still not a lot of damage, so I'm assuming you have a more defendery reason for spending 2 feats on it?

3. If you sink Wis instead of Str, then grab a point for str from Dex or Cha(dex, probably), you can net +2 AC over Robust Defenses in Epic with Greater Swordmage Warding.  Not sure what the -1 dexmod will mean for your build, though.

4. Concerning Total Aegis.  Some thoughts:
  a. As a named mark, your Aegis still triggers your battlemind mark punishment.  Once you run out of PP, you will only be able to mark 2 total enemies at a time.  With Total Aegis, you will be able to mark 1+{enemies in a burst2}.  Remember that a mark is more than just the mark punishment, it's also the -2 penalty on your enemies.  
  b. Rapid Aegis Reaction is nice in that you can inflict your Aegis punishment AND your battlemind reactions in the same round.  On the other hand, you don't have all that many enemies marked, so your chances of seeing use out of it go down.  I feel like Total Aegis is important for maintaining that ability.
  c. If you have Total/Double Aegis, you can mark your primary target and a minion, kill the minion, and regain your hybrid Aegis.  This is a huge boost to your mark flexibility, which you don't get at all without the multimarking from Total/Double Aegis.

Honestly, add all the above to the fact that Total Aegis is straight-up a permanent -2 to hit your allies for 1-2 extra enemies in an encounter, and I'd definitely value it over Eladrin Soldier(or even Swordmage Implement Expertise).  Leave damage to the strikers.
Suggestions:

Swordburst -> Booming Blade.
Arcane Admixture -> White lotus Riposte.
Resounding Thunder -> Double/Total Aegis.

Trades AOE for single target damage.

Also, rapid aegis is superb for interupt builds.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Rapid Regen is mostly a placeholder feat. At 30th, everything tends to go a little wacky anyway.

Arcane Admixture is Thunder. I value the ability to do close burst 2 for all kinds of things. A lot of this build is going to be about positioning myself in the precisely right spot and dealing out enough overall damage that things get concerned.

Greater Swordmage Warding is available at the point where I expect to be invisible most of the time to my marks - at that point, I want to start dealing out generalized damage so that I can beat the living daylights out of my mark when it tries to shift+charge or move+charge to get away from me.

Total Aegis - I don't have battlemind mark punishment. I have Lightning Rush as an interrupt.

Damage to strikers: this guy is something of a blaster controller in terms of damage output. He might look like a Defender, but he's going to be generating a lot of extra MBAs. The Sword Burst is partially about softening targets up while he goes for the kill.

At 13th level as an example, a 1st round might look like this:
Move up to target
Mark with Aegis
Inconstant Location
Free Action: Teleport 2 squares to some other side of the target via Inconstant Location

Opponent Round:
Shifts away from me triggering Blurred Step.
Charges my ally, provoking OA and triggering Dimensional Vortex such that he is next to target 2 who has gone between us in initiative order(and hopefully a ranged attacker).

Round 2:
Fey Step to Target 1 and 2 and get a free MBA.
Battlemind's Demand Target 2.
Sword Burst both of them.
Free Action: Teleport to the other side of them.

So we're at round 2, I've gotten 6 attack rolls so far on 2 targets, I'm standing Invisible to both of them and I'm likely to generate 2 more attacks when they choose to go after someone else. 5 attacks on one target in 2 rounds is something a Striker would generally be proud to have. And I've got an additional 3 on someone else. 

If for some reason, they choose to target me, I'm likely effectively at an AC of 37 - (10+6(level)+6(+3 leather armor))+5(Int)+2(translocation cloak) +3 for Swordmage Warding + 5 Invisible. Needless to say, they're not going to be happy either way. And if they both go after me on their turns, that frees up me to go after their buddy going after someone else with Lightning Rush.

Once I'm at that stage of the game, I'm interested in damage for a reason
Got a quick question... I'm mimicking your build a bit, though with a Githyanki instead of an Eladrin (works for the character, but the lack of feat support stings a bit).

I was thinking that something nice for this build might be Acolyte Power to get Ethereal Sidestep, which is usually a teleport 1 but can become at least a teleport 5 with the right gear.  The builder, however, doesn't seem to want me to do this:  the button to actually select an option for replacing powers when I take the feat is grayed out.  Is it not recognizing my multiclass for some reason?  I was successfully able to take Evermeet Warlock, so I don't think it doesn't know I have a multiclass in Warlock...  It's a legit choice as per the rules, right?
Got a quick question... I'm mimicking your build a bit, though with a Githyanki instead of an Eladrin (works for the character, but the lack of feat support stings a bit).

I was thinking that something nice for this build might be Acolyte Power to get Ethereal Sidestep, which is usually a teleport 1 but can become at least a teleport 5 with the right gear.  The builder, however, doesn't seem to want me to do this:  the button to actually select an option for replacing powers when I take the feat is grayed out.  Is it not recognizing my multiclass for some reason?  I was successfully able to take Evermeet Warlock, so I don't think it doesn't know I have a multiclass in Warlock...  It's a legit choice as per the rules, right?

Hybrids must have a power in each class - Deliverance of Faith is likely messing things up.
Well he's got plenty in each class... he's Battlemind/Swordmage, like yours is, and he's taken several powers from each... also took Pact Initiate at 11 so he could get Evermeet Warlock.  I'm assuming it's just a quirk with the builder, because I can't think of what would cause it otherwise.
Why did you go with versatile expertise?
You don't seem to be using both types of blades, so wouldn't it be better to take a feat for the weapon you are using? 
Why did you go with versatile expertise?
You don't seem to be using both types of blades, so wouldn't it be better to take a feat for the weapon you are using? 

One of the issues for Swordmage(particularly when mixed with Battlemind) is that there simply isn't an essentials feat that does the following:
Add +1/2/3 to all light or heavy blade weapon attacks
Add +1/2/3 to all light or heavy blade implement attacks

Versatile Expertise is really the one feat that does that. If the build was just a Swordmage or only used weapon attacks, it would be significantly easier. 
Would this build still work if it were a Feypact instead of infernal?
Would this build still work if it were a Feypact instead of infernal?

Actually, I highly recommend Star Pact and taking Binding Initiate instead of Pact Initiate. Free invisibility if you kill something. But Cloud Sight isn't that bad from the Fey version.
And I thought My 18th level Shadowy Rogue/Warlock multi-classed into Wizard Paragon Path Wayfarer's was a kick ass with all the teleporting, hiding.  Your build makes me look like a kitten.  Meow.

And I thought My 18th level Shadowy Rogue/Warlock multi-classed into Wizard Paragon Path Wayfarer's was a kick ass with all the teleporting, hiding.  Your build makes me look like a kitten.  Meow.

He's a lot of fun in actual LFR play. Most adventures really don't anticipate that the BBEG 20 squares away will have an invisible defender next to it and that's basically what happens unless the combat is structured so teleportation doesn't work.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Nalmir Baelenil, level 17
Moon Elf (Eladrin), Battlemind/Swordmage, Evermeet Warlock
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) Option: Aegis of Ensnarement
Hybrid Talent Option: Swordmage Warding
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Light blade)
Binding Initiate Option: Binding Initiate (Star Pact)
Tomb Robber (+2 to Stealth)
Theme: Elemental Initiate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 20, DEX 13, INT 22, WIS 11, CHA 15

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 16, DEX 12, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 12

AC: 34 Fort: 30 Ref: 30 Will: 29
HP: 131 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 32

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +21, Endurance +18, History +21, Religion +19, Stealth +16, Thievery +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Athletics +7, Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, Insight +8, Intimidate +10, Nature +8, Perception +11, Streetwise +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elemental Initiate Attack: Disciplined Counter
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Ensnarement
Warlock Utility: Hidden Lore
Warlock Attack: Mind Shadows
Swordmage Attack 1: Booming Blade
Swordmage Attack 1: Vanishing Blade
Arcana Utility 2: Arcane Mutterings
Swordmage Attack 3: Dual Lightning Strike
Swordmage Utility 6: Armathor's Step
Battlemind Attack 7: Lightning Rush
Battlemind Attack 9: Iron Tomb
Battlemind Utility 10: Battle Aspect
Evermeet Warlock Attack 11: Blinding Beacon
Evermeet Warlock Utility 12: Feylights
Battlemind Attack 13: Intellect Snap
Battlemind Attack 15: Mind Blade
Swordmage Utility 16: Borrowed Confidence
Swordmage Attack 17: Thundering Vortex

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Silvery Glow
Level 10: Binding Initiate
Level 11: Starfire Womb
Level 12: Reserve Maneuver
Level 14: Feywild Advance
Level 16: Double Aegis

ITEMS
Farbond Spellblade Rapier +2
Strikebacks x1
Siberys Shard of Radiance (paragon tier)
Thieves' Tools
Cloak of Translocation +3 x1
Sunblade Longsword +4 x1
Broom of Flying
Belt of the Witch King x1
Planestrider Boots x1
Solitaire (Citrine)
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Greater Drowmesh of Eyes +3 x1
Elven Chain Shirt (paragon tier)
Spirit of Storm (paragon tier)
====== End ======

As you can tell, he's gotten super-lucky with item access - Greater Armor of Eyes shuts down most 'no, your teleportation capabilities are useless', Planestrider Boots and Belt of the Witch King are crazy good for him, and that Sunblade is that Sunblade. I had already picked Sehanine solely for roleplaying reasons with actually zero intent of going for Silvery Glow.

But, with a Sunblade(which is kind of suboptimal for the build), I really had no choice but to pick up Silvery Glow as it was far too in character to wield the special sword - he's a knight of Myth Drannor, an eladrin, a swordmage, a Defender - who else is going to be better than him to wield it? 
Sign In to post comments