11/02/2010 SF: "Take Two, Call Me in the Morning"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I have nothing in particular to say about this week's rather bland article, but since he linked to it at the end, I'll repeat my somewhat belated response to the Arcana linking to the M/P videos.

I finally got around to watching the Mirrodin and Phyrexia videos.  The Mirrodin one was rather nice and inspiring, but the Phyrexian was just epic; whoever came up with that monster voice gets the gold star.  I really wish the videos were perma-downloadable so I could save a copy of each.  The Phyrexia video also appeared to show some art that we haven't seen, like the tall guys with the kite-shaped heads; I'm excited to find out what they were all about.  Sadly I didn't see any such possible-Beseiged-teasers in the Mirrodin one, perhaps because they had four times as many cards in SOM to draw from and thus felt no need to go beyond that, further reinforcing the impression that Phyrexia has the "sexy" one.

EDIT - I watched the Mirrodin video once more and determined that it does have a couple pieces of art in it that we haven't seen before, but I still think it's shorter and a bit more bland than it should have been.  In particular I would have liked to see Vulshok Heartstoker in there, as he's one of the sorts of people who ought to be making a speech on this topic.  Meanwhile, I watched the Phyrexian video twice more, and am not tired of it yet.  Dear God, please someone make sure to archive that thing.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I really liked this article.  Poison interested me long before this set came out but I was never able to acquire enough to make a poison deck.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I still don't know where people get the impression that old-style poison is not "good".  Marsh Viper kills in five hits, what more do you want?  I always had a lot of luck smuggling it past blockers with Tawnos's Wand or just giving it a Fire Whip.  And that was long before double strike was invented.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Mmm, I just don't find infect very interesting. I like Tangle Angler and Necropede, but the typical infect strategy leaves me completely cold. I guess this is because green and black are my least favourite colours, and I also much prefer controlling strategies to aggressive strategies; and to top it all off, I rather dislike such linear mechanics, preferring things to be more modular and allow more creativity. Cards like Corpse Cur and Hand of the Praetors I find deathly dull with their "play more cards like me!" cry.

This all means that I'd expect to like Proliferate much more than Infect, and sure enough, I do. So I guess I'll just let all the Infect Week stuff pass me by, and wait for Proliferate Week.

This all means that I'd expect to like Proliferate much more than Infect, and sure enough, I do. So I guess I'll just let all the Infect Week stuff pass me by, and wait for Proliferate Week.

We've already had Proliferate week.  It was the week of October 4.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
D'oh!
    I enjoyed this article, though my current infect deck I am working on is blue / green rather than black / green.  Putting an Accorder's Shield on a Tangle Angler or Crystbearer and then using Twisted Image on the (most likely) unblocked infecter just sounds fun.  And of course there's always Distortion Strike if you want to be sure he gets through (gotta keep those Vines of the Vastwood handy though!).

Probably not competetive enough but eh, it will still be fun to see opponent's reactions when you do pull it off. 
In one of our obligatory rematches, Primalcrux and Garruk showed up again but my trump card Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon on back-to-back turns let me squeak by. Double Dragon, baby.

Legendary creature, baby.

Not sure what he means by back-to-back turns...did he play two and kill his opponent in a cheaterly way? Infection of the mind!
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
In one of our obligatory rematches, Primalcrux and Garruk showed up again but my trump card Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon on back-to-back turns let me squeak by. Double Dragon, baby.

Not sure what he means by back-to-back turns...did he play two and kill his opponent in a cheaterly way? Infection of the mind!

It's not clear from the context but what happened was that I dropped and swung with Skithiryx.  On his turn he has removal.  My next draw was the other copy of Skithiryx for the win.

No shenanigans; just an insanely awesome topdeck. 
Adam Styborski Writer for Serious Fun Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/the_stybs

It's not clear from the context but what happened was that I dropped and swung with Skithiryx.  On his turn he has removal.  My next draw was the other copy of Skithiryx for the win.

No shenanigans; just an insanely awesome topdeck. 

Ah cool. Yea the missing part about the removal kinda threw me off. Still epic way to win. Scars Game Day my deck suffered it's only defeat in the single-elim top 8 to a poison deck. It wasn't doing anything unfair, just some infect guys, some removal for blockers, and Corpse Cur.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
What's Nafs Asp doing in a Poison deck??
Sign In to post comments