update tomorrow?

118 posts / 0 new
Last post
???????
I bloody well hope so. if not then it will be a very poor show indeed.
Well they've started well by not posting the November Adventure Hooks, and instead removing it from the Content Calender list. If we get anything tomorrow it will be a surprise. If we get a Dark Sun update for the CB I'll be amazed, if we get a Monster Builder update I think I might faint.

If they knew they were definitely going to hit that 1st Tuesday update target, surely they would have posted it in the content calender, to help reduce all the speculation and complaints? The fact they haven't posted it only adds to the the speculation and bad feeling.
I would bet 3 pics of a cake vs 1 that there is no update Wink

Ceterum censeo capsum rubeum esse delendam

I consider myself to be an extremely patient person when it comes to matters concerning program development and implementation, however I have to admit that my patience is wearing thin.

Last month we at least heard what would and wouldn't be in the update a few days before. That went down at least as well as could be expected given that it was basiclly bad news, but at least it mitigated some of the rage compared to if they'd just dumped half an update on us.
By not telling us anything this month, (even less than the minimal info they gave us since the delays started), they are completely failing to manage expectations and setting themselves up for further backlash if they don't meet a set of expectations that people have been left to set up for themselves.

By not telling us anything different, they are saying "this update will be what you'd expect", the problem is noone knows what to expect anymore.

I'd be very angry if there was no update. I'd not be terribly deeply shocked.

I'd be angry if it was just dragon/dungeon. This is sadly what i expect. My mood with this could be improved if they explained why.

I'd be slightly less angry, (but still simmering) if they included any other content (limited stuff from the DMKit?) I see this as possible (but perhaps unecessary, I don't know what paper releases have had any content for the CB this month).  I would have been much happier to have accepted this had they explained why there was delays. 

I'd relax a little if they release dungeon and dragon, but also update the monster builder or staert to catch up with the backlog. I'd still be resentful of delays. I would be somewhat pleasantly surprised if this happened, but this (or the next one) is what I'd hope for at least.  I would have been much happier to have accepted this had they explained why there was delays. 

I'd be a bit happier if they caught up the backlog, adjusted the CB for the new content, fixed the MB. Essentially brought themselves up to date. I'd still not be entirely satisfied, this should be where we are already. I think there is virtually no chance of this happening. I would have been perfectly happy to have accepted this had they explained why there were delays at an earlier stage. 

I'd not even be entirely satified even if they brought everything up to date and released new tools. I don't think this will happen. Their mishandling of the entire thing has bred a dissatisfaction and mistrust of their abilty to run this service. They'll have to work to re-earn this trust. If they'd have communicated better from the start I'd be overjoyed with this situation.

So even if they do way better than can be realistically expected I still won't be satisfied, due to their silence. Things will have to be pretty damn awesome, to win me back to being a happy customer. I'm on the verge of trying to get a refund (i threatened this before but procrastinated until last week and then figured I may as well give tehm until tomorrow to try and fix things)
If they'd have actually talked to us and treated us like adult consumers, I'd be reasonably happy to accept the delays were going to be worth it in the long run.

I don't actually care who's rule it is forbidding them to speak, to me it is all the same. It's one entity that I'm paying money into and not getting the service i expect. And they aren't even telling me why. My expectations of what they are going to deliver are currently below what I'm happy to pay for. I could cope with this if i thought in the long run it's be worth while. At the moment i don't see that as the case. They need to go into damage control mode now. That starts with a decent update tomorrow, an apology, and an explanation of why we should be sticking around. 
My bet is: no update.
I do hope that comments like those of BoroGamer are being cataloged and passed onto Hasbro. The seemingly complete gag order imposed upon WotC staff is doing way more harm that good. As was pointed out, it prevents them from setting expectations which means a lot of people get their hopes up only to have them let down. Being able to communicate openly an honestly with their customers wouldn't get rid of all the anger and backlash but it would help a lot.

My bets are also on: No Update. 
Update tomorrow?

I lol'd.
79189613 wrote:
Of course what you guys say matters! But there are some things - like the offline access option - that are not possible, sorry.
I for one plan on bringing popcorn and a lawn chair to the forums tomorrow to watch the fireworks.

[conspiracy] Maybe they haven't released an update because, as of release of supposed webtools, CB and MB will no longer be supported anyway?  So they'd just be wasting their time if they worked on it?  Be kind of darkly funny if folks spent all this time fuming about a product that was vaporware all along and no one even bothered to tell us.  Although it would explain why everyone has avoided providing answers about the delay. [/conspiracy]

I'm hoping there's an update of the CB and MB, my subscription is only good another 2 weeks. Although, if I ignore Essentials the current CB build is good enough for me.  And if that's the direction WotC is headed from now on maybe I don't even need a CB update and will stick with the current version.  But I would like Dark Sun, and still hopeful something is forthcoming impressive enough that might inspire me to re-up my subscription.

But I agree that nothing on the calender is not a promising sign.  Here's hoping we see something!

I for one plan on bringing popcorn and a lawn chair to the forums tomorrow to watch the fireworks.

I expect the fireworks to start around 9 EDT, despite that being several hours earlier than WotC opens.

[conspiracy] Maybe they haven't released an update because, as of release of supposed webtools, CB and MB will no longer be supported anyway?  So they'd just be wasting their time if they worked on it?  Be kind of darkly funny if folks spent all this time fuming about a product that was vaporware all along and no one even bothered to tell us.  Although it would explain why everyone has avoided providing answers about the delay. [/conspiracy]

That is one of the things that people fear. Selling a product for years subscription now, based on products you are planning on discontinuing soon is disingenuous and bad business. People would have every right to be very annoyed about this anyway, with out further annoyance being added on that they continued this frustration with their silence. It's one thing to advertise one product and supply another (bait-and-switch much?) but another to draw it out as long as you can, especially it now having gone through annual renewal season, if they pull that, it'd look like the delays (or at least the delays in releasing information), were just to ensure the most take of cash before they pull the switcheroo. The reason it's so worrying is as you say it would explain the silence.
Also should this not be the case (that is they aren't pulling a B&S) the best way to convince people you aren't is to come out and say so. So alarm bells ring when they won't do this.

Admittedly this is deep in speculation land, and a bit tinfoil hatty to boot. But it could so easily be avoided if they just came out and said "no need to worry about that". Paulo just about did a week or so ago (after nearly a months grim speculation) when he said something like "[the new stuff]... would compliment existing tools" unfortunately it's still a statement that needs interpretation, rather than saying "we are not discontinuilng support for the CB and MB", and it came at least three weeks into some dark speculation, that just fed ill will against wizards, when it could've been easily avoided if they'd said something just after the vague passing mention of webtools that was supposed to make up for two months of delays.
I expect the fireworks to start around 9 EDT, despite that being several hours earlier than WotC opens.

That is usually around the time they start.  I'm looking forward to the show!

Nah. PaoloM dispelled that in another thread. The online tools are supplemental to the current tools, not replacing them.
[conspiracy] Maybe they haven't released an update because, as of release of supposed webtools, CB and MB will no longer be supported anyway?  ... [/conspiracy]

Nah. PaoloM dispelled that in another thread. The online tools are supplemental to the current tools, not replacing them.

He did not actually say that.  He said something that could be interpreted that way, but could also be interpreted in a few other ways.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Even if they update tomorrow, they're gonna get slammed.  Why?  NO FRIGGIN COMMUNICATION - AGAIN.

So in large part I hope there's no update because otherwise, things aren't getting better.
How? Supplement does not and can not mean replace. If you use the word supplement to describe replacing something, you're using that word wrong.

He used it in the verb form, meaning it follows one of the three definitons.
–verb (used with object)
to complete, add to, or extend by a supplement.

to form a supplement or addition to.

to supply (a deficiency).

Given the context, the first two are the only definitions that could possibly make sense. You can't supplement something that isn't there any more, just like you can't have zero equal to five. It just doesn't work that way, sorry.

I'll admit that Paolo could be misleading us into watching as the next CB and MB update simply uninstalls the programs from our hard drives, leaving a laughing skull burned into the pixels of our screen for all of eternity to mock our foolishness until it springs forth from the monitor and devours our souls... but given Paolo's history on these forums, I simply can't interpret his statement as anything other than "chill out dudes, these new tools will be great additions to the stuff we already have and nothing more".
I'm expecting an update tomorrow. That was when we were told it was to be, correct?
I'm expecting an update tomorrow. That was when we were told it was to be, correct?

No, we have not been given a date for the next update. The speculation about an update tomorrow is based on the schedule used in the past of an update every first tuesday of the month.  However, we haven't been told what the new schedule is.

@Plotinus - The problem is that Paolo wasn't specific about what would be supplimented or how.  He could have been referring to the Compendium as being supplimented.  He might consider a web-based character builder to be a supplement to the existing character builder, which could no longer get any updates. 

We just don't know for sure until we see what is coming.

No, we have not been given a date for the next update. The speculation about an update tomorrow is based on the schedule used in the past of an update every first tuesday of the month.  However, we haven't been told what the new schedule is.

That's because the last thing we heard was they were "back" on schedule. Which indicates a return to the existing schedule not a new schedule. If there is to be a new schedule that would need to be announced as such, ideally before you miss the existing one (again).
@Asmodeus: If that's the case, then somebody needs to hand Paolo a dictionary, because the word you seem to think he's looking for is "replace", not "supplement". The word supplement in no way functions the way you're using it.

Unless Paolo is either using the word supplement wrong (doubtful) or lying to us (doubtful), then his statement says that the web tools aren't replacing anything at all. If you disagree, then you are asserting that Paolo either doesn't know the meaning of the words he's using or that he is lying.
I just want to thank Mudbunny and AsmodeusLore for trying to keep us informed because all of the official sources appear to be under a gag order for whatever reason. They deserve a raise!  Oh, wait, they are volunteers. . .  Cry
Paolo is not a native english speaker.  It's possible he's using the words wrong.

But more than that, I think its just that the english language is a bit more flexible than you are allowing.   When he says that the web tools suppliment the existing tools, that could mean that it suppliments the existing tools set by replacing one existing tool with a web-based version that works on multiple platforms.  did that suppliment the entire suite of tools?  perhaps.  Did it suppliment the existing single tool by making it available to more users?  perhaps.  Or it could be an entirely new tool.  Maybe a fabled VTT.  We Just Don't Know.

I suspect that Paolo just copy/pasted as was requested by the forum user in a joking manner.  What he posted did not go through the normal information release process.  It was not reviewed, disected, and approved. 

Don't put any weight behind it until you hear it confirmed by an official release.

I just want to thank Mudbunny and AsmodeusLore for trying to keep us informed because all of the official sources appear to be under a gag order for whatever reason. They deserve a raise!  Oh, wait, they are volunteers. . . 

They offered to triple my salary last week, but I turned them down.  I told them that I won't sully my hands with their filthy money.  I do what I do out of love for the game and the community.  My motives are pure and will remain so!

:D

There are two options: Either we get an update tomorrow, or they blatantly lied to us when they told us they were back on schedule. I won't accept any weaseling about what their schedule is. Since it was not elaborated, the only reasonable assumption is that they are back on the schedule they have used in the past.
There are two options: Either we get an update tomorrow, or they blatantly lied to us when they told us they were back on schedule. I won't accept any weaseling about what their schedule is. Since it was not elaborated, the only reasonable assumption is that they are back on the schedule they have used in the past.

Also, that update includes both the CB and AT.  And it includes Essentials and Dark Sun, not just the magazines (especially since they can't even include all of the magazine stuff without Essentials).
Paolo, are you gagged about tomorrow's possible update, or can you tell us if it is happening and what it will contain? At least in the past you were allowed to tell us about imminent updates or lack of them.
I just want to thank Mudbunny and AsmodeusLore for trying to keep us informed because all of the official sources appear to be under a gag order for whatever reason. They deserve a raise!  Oh, wait, they are volunteers. . . 

They offered to triple my salary last week, but I turned them down.  I told them that I won't sully my hands with their filthy money.  I do what I do out of love for the game and the community.  My motives are pure and will remain so!

:D

I'd hold out for a least a 10x raise and a 5% signing bonus. Be careful though, their lack of editing might wind up giving you a 5% singing bonus, and you probably don't want that. ::shudder::

News Flash.....  Someone at WotC was about to spill the beans....

gagged1.jpg?w=475&h=239

Your Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription has recently ended. This could be because your billing information failed to process successfully as an Auto-Renew or because your Manual Renew subscription lapsed. Either way, we wanted to invite you back.
At least they caught my good side in that photo.

Where are your horns? The burning red eyes? ... I'd take the robe and staff for crud's sake...

AL - say it isn't so! You aren't really a Tiefling?!?! 

My subscription runs out in less than a week.  If they don't update tomorrow, I'm beginning the 'ask for a refund' process. 

Tomorrow is a day to vote.  Both at the polls, and with your dollars. 

Lawn chair - check
Popcorn - check
sunglasses to ward off the raging flames - check
keyboard and mouse cleaned and ready for action - check
hard drive defragged and ready for near mythical CB/MB updates - check

You know what... I might actually be sad if the updates come through tomorrow. The flame war that will rage if they don't come through will something to behold. Legendary in fact. Like a legendary boon....

Legendary boon:

Veteran of the November Flames

Property (at-will):  Minor action. You enter the rage of the nerd. While in the rage, you gain resist 10 fire damage and can type angry forum posts as a free action once per round.

(daily) Until the end of the encounter you gain a +2 to all forum posts claiming you will unsubscribe. You also gain +5 anger regeneration that can only be ended by a successful update.
Lawn chair - check
Popcorn - check

You know what... I might actually be sad if the updates come through tomorrow. The flame war that will rage if they don't come through will something to behold. Legendary in fact. Like a legendary boon....

Legendary boon:

Property (at-will):  Minor action. You enter the rage of the nerd. While in the rage, you gain resist 10 fire damage and can type angry forum posts as a free action once per round.

(daily) Until the end of the encounter you gain a +2 to all forum posts claiming you will unsubscribe. You also gain +5 anger regeneration that can only be ended by a successful update.

Eheh...

If I were to show up tomorrow, and I'm not saying I will or not, I would choose a leisurely hour, like, say, 10am PST. Or shortly thereafter.
Paolo Marcucci "Building better worlds"
Where are your horns? The burning red eyes? ... I'd take the robe and staff for crud's sake...

AL - say it isn't so! You aren't really a Tiefling?!?! 

I am entertaining a theory that AL is really Blackwolf the Dragonmaster and just playing a tiefling online. 
This email is to confirm that we have stopped automatic billing for your subscription. Your subscription will continue to be active until the expiration date listed below.

Eheh... If I were to show up tomorrow, and I'm not saying I will or not, I would choose a leisurely hour, like, say, 10am PST. Or shortly thereafter.

We might have news tomorrow around 1 or 2pm EDT...
or we might not. 
Sealed

Eheh... If I were to show up tomorrow, and I'm not saying I will or not, I would choose a leisurely hour, like, say, 10am PST. Or shortly thereafter.

But that would be a reasonable hour.  The real fun will be the wave of people complaining about not having an update at 9 EDT while you're still sleeping. Cool
@Cathak - Brilliant!
Lawn chair - check
Popcorn - check

Legendary boon:

that was mean...

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?