Post-Apocalypse Movies: The Postman

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just watched the Postman again. I know the common view is that this movie is a colossal suck-fest, but before I blog my own opinion, I want to get your thoughts on it. 

So, what do you all think of this movie? When was the last time you saw it? What do you like or dislike the most about it? And does it have anything interesting in it for gamers? 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
That and Waterworld are fun movies that I watch when they're on if I have the time.  Compared to some of the post-apocalyptic movies I've seen from the 70s and 80s they hold their own.  I certainly do not hate them and think they are the pile of crap that some think they are.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

Ilove both waterworld and postman. Great movies each. The only suckfest part about either is who hey picked to play he main character... Costner did well, so cant say anything negative about his acting nor his role, i just couldnt wrap my head around him in a post apocalyptic situation. :P
So I can be like everybody else!!! :D :D :D You are Red/Blue!
I just watched 'The Postman' on Fox the other day and I quite enjoyed the film, spurred on by GW fever.

I don't know whether it's because I am looking out for these post apocalyptic movies at the moment, but I have seen quite a few in the last month - busily typing adventure and NPC concepts into m y iPhone Notes!

Cheers,

Carl.

I consider the movie to be a suck-fest because it butchers a pretty darn good novel by David Brin.

I suggest that anyone who enjoys the post-apocolyptic genre pick it up and give it a read.

Other novels in the genre I recommend are as follows:

"I am Legend" by Richard Matheson
"The Stand" by Stephen King
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy
 "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle
"A Canticle for Liebowitz" by Walter Miller
"Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank
"Damnation Alley" by Roger Zelazny

Just me two coppers worth
The Alphadork

It's been a while since I saw the Postman but I remember liking it.  But I've always thought Kevin Costner is a good actor.  My favorite part of the Postman was Tom Petty playing himself.  That still cracks me up.
As a long time fan of the book, the movie butchered a great story.  But when you look at the movie unto itself its not too bad. 
If you are looking for Post Apoc movies -

The Road - Dark, grimmy, dirty - the book had some scenes that had to be cut from the movie.
Book of Eli - Classic nuke story
Nine - Steampunk meets Apoc don't let the fact that its animated throw you
Children of Men - Pre-apoc dystopian society

If we are talking books, asside those already mentioned above.
Check out:
Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald (Nukes)
One Second After by William Forschten (EMP - pretty scary stuff)
On the Beach by Nevil Shute (Nukes)
Earth Abides by George Stewart - Lengthy in telling, but good disease destroyer.
Well, I never read the book by David Brin, though I would really like to, so with out any pre-concieved notions, I really enjoyed it.  I also liked Waterworld, as it was fun, but it was a bit farfetched in it's concept of 'dirt' as a currency (I mean seriously).

Some other good post apocalyptic source material that I have enjoyed are the Vampire Earth stories by E.E. Knight. An EXCELLENT series that could be very adaptable to Gamma World considering the other wordly powers and mutants that appear in the book. I also just got finished watching the complete series of Jeremiah, though I was disappointed in the ending there were lots of tidbits that could be useful to a GM. You also might want to check out anything you can get your hands on from the old Hell on Earth game, which can be a rich source for post apocalypse material.

I think the movie Pandorum has some relevance as well with some great ideas for GW. The Afro-Samurai movies also seem to have a post apoc feeling with a mix of feudal Japan and modern technology, though they never come out and say it's post apocalyptic, you certainly get that feeling.

Hope those suggestions help.
Hey I was not a "Waterworld" fan but "The Postman" was ok. Here are a few that did not make the list above that I really like

Zombieland --- Remember Rule #2
Tankgirl  ----  Ok so it is not so good but still funny, mutant Kangaroo attack squad??
A boy and his dog ---- Best actor goes to the dog...but the end rocks
Mad Max ---- One of the best
Mad Max: the Road Warrior --- Pure Genius
Mad Max : Bevond Thunderdome ---- well 2 out 3 ain't bad
Escape from New York --- Lead character is named "Snake" no need to say more

Just a few to get the creative juices flowing 
While I thoroughly enjoyed the Postman and Water World was OK, I have a list of TV series, animated stuff, and a few more movies! I list ones I think about when I am looking at settings and I think would benefit others working on their gamma world ideas.

Live Action:
The Colony (Life in a settlement with esoteric skillsets? got em)
Life After People (Want run-down looking imagry? look no further)
Jeremiah (all adults dead, kids only--lord of the flies for the world)
Jericho (Post nuclear U.S.)
Planet of the Apes (classic films and TV here)
Celopatra 2525 (cheezy, but post-apoc)
Battlestar Galactica (either series classic or new. Great post-apoc scenery, struggles, etc.)

Animated:
Thundarr the Barbarian (awesome goodness with mutants, cyborgs, post-apoc stuff)
The Herculoids (mainly an alternate timeline/different planet with good post-apoc ideas)
The Pirates of Dark Water (post-apoc/fantasy, but still idea fodder)
Avatar: The Last Airbender (alternate reality but still worth it for ideas)
Witch Hunter Robin (nice way to explain E.H. + other origin characters)
Blue Submarine No. 6 (post-apoc world, sunken cities, aggressive opponents + fights)
Megazone 23 (the population is inside an asteroid...isolation, old civs)
Sky Land (AWESOME sky-based civ/post-apoc with E.H. + other origin explanations)
Green Legend Ran (Typical post-apoc desert world)
Akira (You want civ + post-apoc TK exploding bodies? here you go)
Bubblegum Crisis/Crash/2012 (post-apoc Omega Tech/Cyborgs/Robots)
Animatrix (The matrix in animation...far better than the live action IMO)
Dominion/Dominion Tank Police (post-apoc with civ, worth a watch)
AD Police (same as bubblegum crisis only before BGC when robots start going mad)
Tide-Line Blue (AWESOME post-apoc storyline on a water world)
Sousei no Aquarion (another good post-apoc with limited human survivors + E.H./other explain)
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Look no further for post-apoc storyline and survivor. Cheezy though)
A Wind Named Amnesia (nice look at a world who has forgotten it's past)
The Wings of Honneamise (nice alternate worldline leading up to first man in space)
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (AWESOME series about post-earthquake Japan-AWESOME! Normal humans though)
Desert Punk (From what I've heard, a good desert post-apoc world)
Steamboy (AWESOME depiction of a steampunk society, great for that type of worldline)
Hyper Police (anthropomorphism at its finest)
Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind (alternate reality/post-apoc, good storyline overall)
Mai-Otome, Mai-ZHime, Mai-Hime S.fir, Mai-Otome Zwei (etc.) (interesting future/post-apoc future with E.H. + other origin explanations)
Gundam X (post-apoc setting you can dismiss the giant robots...or not)
Neon Genesis Evangaleon (definately post-apoc, 4 horsemen of the apocalypse kind with gifted children as the heroes)
Dimensional Space Century ORGUSS (AWESOME for worldlines inspiration & mutants/PSH AWESOME AWESOME)
The Big O (giant robots, yes, look at the setting for good post-apoc storyline)
Giant Robo (giant STEAMPUNK robots for the most part, look at the setting for post-apoc worldline)
Utawarerumono (anthropomorphism goodness, really post-apoc where humans can't exist due to atmosphere changes)
Vampire Hunter D (Vampires, yeah, but post-apocalyptic setting)
Canaan (Enhanced Human goodness)
Robotech: Macross Saga (AKA Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, particularly after the Zentradi attack on Earth -- ignore the robots, or not)
Robotech: Invid Saga (AKA Genesis Climber Mospaeda -- ignore the robots, or not)
Battle Angel Alita (Robots/Cyborgs, fun fun post-apoc stuff)
Astro boy (post-apoc stuff galore with robots as well)
Last Exile (sky world with pseudo post-apoc theme and war. very interesting anime)
Metropolis (live action and anime, both good for robots/post-apoc life)
Princess Mononoke (Nice look at a different reality with some nice monster attacks & such)

Other movies:
The Matrix (at least some parts are post-apoc)
City of Ember (nice film, I believe about a post-apoc society that missed the big boom)
Day After Tomorrow (good film, struggle, but pure-strain human only with global catstrophe)
Night of the Comet (cheesy, but interesting. Chakotay from Voyager is in this one...hee)
Bladerunner (one of the best classic films of all time)
The 5th Element (future, mainly, but interesting themes and views of a possible worldline)
Terminator films (best for "robots take over the world" junk like the matrix)
Children of Men (good film for what life could be like if fertility stagnated)
The Happening (sudden suicides could mean a lot of things, maybe ideas for an alternate worldline)
Reign of Fire (dragons, yeah, but great view of what civ might be like if they did come back)
Cherry 2000 (cheesy, but an interesting look at androids and post-apoc world setting)
The Road (OK, the abstract ammo rules of Gamma World could have been from this film...)
The Siege (not really post-apocalyptic, but definately good idea fodder)
Red Dawn (America attacked? WWIII? This is one of my favorite films)
The Terror Within (post-apoc with highly-mutated people. Good watch for cheese and ideas)
Total Recall (while more futuristic, when you get to Mars, you see mutants and how some can be useless while others kickbutt)
12 monkeys (sure, it's about time travel, but you can catch glimpses of the future with post-apoc themage)

Some inspirational images:
izismile.com/2010/04/19/postapocalyptic_...
www.google.com/images?q=Apocalyptic+Manh...
forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=332

I tried to stay away from horror stuff and concentrate as best I could on shows/movies/anime that presented a good image or snapshots of life in a post-apocalyptic world. The images are some eye candy of possible adventure sites.

Oh, don't forget the Fallout series, Wasteland, and Borderlands as video game inspiration.
I consider the movie to be a suck-fest because it butchers a pretty darn good novel by David Brin.

Seconded.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Day After Tomorrow (good film, struggle, but pure-strain human only with global catstrophe)

What level monster is the COLD!?! It would only have a speed of like 3 or something, and the inability to go through wooden doors....

;)

Couldn't resist...now that was an AWFUL movie. I'd watch Waterworld over and over again for 24 hours straight before suffering through five minutes of that one.

My vision of Gamma World is much more along the lines of the bleak setting portrayed in The Road or The Book of Eli. Add a dose of Fallout 3 and some bipedal, intelligent mutant animals and there you have it.
If we are talking books, asside those already mentioned above.

I'm actually now wondering what comics would be good inspiration sources.  The first that pops to mind is the "Just a Pilgrim" series from Garth Ennis.
I'm actually now wondering what comics would be good inspiration sources.  The first that pops to mind is the "Just a Pilgrim" series from Garth Ennis.

Could probably do something along the lines of Age of Apocalypse, too.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

Could probably do something along the lines of Age of Apocalypse, too.

Kamandi - The Last Boy on Earth!
http://l81corvette.wordpress.com/

List of apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalypti...

Contents

GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
So, what do you all think of this movie? When was the last time you saw it? What do you like or dislike the most about it? And does it have anything interesting in it for gamers? 

Loved it, got the DVD, would get it again on Blu-Ray.  A while ago.  There's a few moments I liked: 1) I second Tom Petty playing himself and being asked "Hey, aren't you famous?", 2) When Costner reveals the Holnist mark and challenges for leadership and Will Patton's character suddenly realizes who he is, 3) the entire journey of the main character.  He starts off as a sleazy ne'er-do-well out to con people to get a hot meal and a bed and he ends up a savior despite his best efforts.  A well told tale of a reluctant hero.

Not sure what woudl be interesting for gamers except maybe the setting.  Although not Gamma World-ish by any means.

I don't understand the razzie awards, but that may be because I loved the movie.  Never read the book, but movie is only based on the book.  From what a friend told of the book it's much more sci-fi (with cyborgs and such) whereas the movie is set to be realistic.

There's two sets of ongoign novel series that post apocalyptic that I didn't see anyone mention: Deathlands and Oulanders.  Both are published by Gold Eagle Books. 
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
There's two sets of ongoign novel series that post apocalyptic that I didn't see anyone mention: Deathlands and Oulanders.  Both are published by Gold Eagle Books. 

Another series of novels that works is the Endworld series and Blade series (same characters).  Blade and his Freedom Force fight everything from Soviet troops to insane dictators who think they are Elvis to mutants, robots, vampires and aliens.  Hard to find now since they're out of print, but they're very similar to Deathlands and Outlanders in that they're post apocalyptic adventures series.  I'm already working on some adventures using them as inspiration.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I'm going to recommend a really really weird post-apocalyptic movie called A Boy and His Dog, starring Don Johnson (yes, from Miami Vice fame), and Jason Robards (and a bunch of people yo've probably never heard of).  This movie was made in 1975, and it is weird.

It's got... in no particular order...

• Radioactive mutants.

• Underground Stepford-like communities.

• Telepathic dogs.

• Cannibalism.

Need I say more?

My top-10 post-apocalyptic Gamma World inspiring movie list goes as follows:

1. Terminator/Terminator 2

2. Twelve Monkeys (the parts in the future)

3. Mad Max 2: Road Warrior

4. Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome

5. Planet of the Apes (1968 version... never see the Tim Burton travesty)

6. A Boy and His Dog

7. The Warriors (dystopic, tnot apocalyptic, but still GW appropriate)

8. Escape from New York (technically, more dystopic, but still GW appropriate)

9. Waterworld

10. Postman

My top-10 zombie-apocalypse movies get their own list:

1. Omega Man

2. Night of the Living Dead (Romero version)

3. Dawn of the Dead (again, Romero)

4. 28 Days Later

5. Shaun of the Dead

6. Zombieland

7. Dawn of the Dead (the remake)

8. Night of the Comet

9. Day of the Dead (not the Romero version)

10. I am Legend (reluctantly)

I'm hoping World War Z will get on the list and I can finally have 10 zombie movies I feel are worth recommending.  Also everybody who enjoys the zombie genre should be watching AMC's Walking Dead.
Top 10 dystopic movies are a different category and though I love them, they don't really inspire GW:

1. Blade Runner

2. Clockwork Orange

3. Brazil

4. Handmaid's Tale

5. Matrix Trilogy

6. Gattaca

7. Logan's Run

8. City of Lost Children

9. Soylent Green

10. Daybreakers (surprisingly good, imo)

I'd add Time Storm (1977, Gordon R. Dickson) as another book to look at.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

I'm glad someone got Omega Man on the list of post apocolyptic movies.  I loved that movie as a child, I remember getting excited to watch it on TV when it was on the Monster Mash, Friday nights late night monster movie. 

I'm also glad someone else has seen a Dog and his Boy, that was a wierd movie, with mutants and a talking dog.

Another wierd post apocolyptic movie to check out is Wizards, with wizards, faeries, trench warfare, nuclear radiated wastes, Nazi imagery, and elves (or gnomes?), fighting on a WWI type battlefield.  Wizards is a strange, weird, fanciiful, post apocolyptic and wonderful movie. 
Loved The Postman.  Great story of a man who reluctantly stands up for what's right, it feels more real than the typical testosterone fest, as he is a bit cowardly and reluctant, and really does feel fear.  I think it didn't do so well just because the main character is a bit hard to feel for.  The villain is just a real dick though.

No one's mentioned Logan's Run yet, so I will.  I'm way past my renewal, I never did like amusement park rides.  I bought it and hosted a viewing on my 30th Birthday

Also the classic "Time Machine" any version will do.  Morlocks FTW!

- Justisaur
I just watched the Postman again. I know the common view is that this movie is a colossal suck-fest, but before I blog my own opinion, I want to get your thoughts on it. 

I enjoy post-apocalyptic movies, I bet this is a common trait in a Gamma World forum, and enjoyed The Postman.  I own a copy and have subjected my wife to watching it on several occasions. 

I liked the loss of technology on various levels, and warlords.

I'm also glad someone else has seen a Dog and his Boy, that was a wierd movie, with mutants and a talking dog.

I love the last few lines of that movie...  Is that available on DVD these days?  Haven't seen it in ages.

Sign In to post comments