Famine at Far-Go

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since the preview for Famine at Far-Go is under November, I guess that means Amazon is wrong. Either way, I won't be albe to get it until December (on my xmas list).
Blackbyrnepublishing.com
Amazon's not wrong. The release date got changed but WotC hasnt updated thier stuff for some reason. Not like thats not the first time.
Amazon's not wrong. The release date got changed but WotC hasnt updated thier stuff for some reason. Not like thats not the first time.

WOTC has been wrong before, but never in a preview article of the same month...
Blackbyrnepublishing.com

WOTC has been wrong before, but never in a preview article of the same month...

Actually, that is incorrect. They did something similar with the Ravenloft Board Game. The release day was changed, but they didnt update the site. I was rather annoyed, because I had scheduled a day to play the game with my friends a few days after the first release date, and when I went to go buy the game, the various stores had it, but it wasn't released yet.
Amazon may not be wrong, as far as they are concerned.  I seem to recall something similar when Dark Sun came out.  Many people who had pre-ordered started gettiing notices that their delivery would be late.  The game still released into premier stores and regular stores atr the correct time, though.  It may be that WotC is giving preference to gaming stores and other brick & mortar locations before stock goes to Amazon.  This may unfortunately leave them with less games to sell than forseen which means they come out farther down the road than other stores.  Just conjecture, though.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche Devil\'s Brigade
As far as I am aware, the Premier stores do get the products early, but within the same month as the release date.  And I don't remember the  "_____ and Beyond" article for Ravenloft announcing the release of the product in a different month.
Blackbyrnepublishing.com
WotC are more and more attempting to release to Amazon AFTER they release to stores in an attempt to get the business in store and away from the net.

Good for the stores, IF they get it right.

My local store here (Australia) is STILL waiting for it's delivery of Essentials material, even though it has been released for some time now. I like to support the local but it makes it hard too when WotC are screwing them around.
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)
BUT...
It reads like people who want to play Barrier Peaks in 4th Edtion will beable to now. IMHO
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
My local store here (Australia) is STILL waiting for it's delivery of Essentials material, even though it has been released for some time now. I like to support the local but it makes it hard too when WotC are screwing them around.

There lies the thing. The odds of me finding Gamma World stuff in a brick and mortar are slim in the extreme. The bookshops are unlikely to stock it, and most of the comic shops don't have the space.

I have a choice between Amazon (Or some other online retailer), or nothing. I was lucky enough to get the main Gamma World box off Amazon for £20 before the US street date. I don't think the same thing will happen this time, as Famine in Far-Go isn't even listed on Amazon UK.
My FLGS (a premiere store) said, as far as they know, Fargo is still on schedule. I'll know for sure this Friday when I go to pick up a copy.
I was happy to see Gamma World sitting next to the D&D stuff at Barnes & Noble about an hour from DC.  So at least some of the big name bookstores are carrying it.
I have seen D&D 4e essentials starters at Walmart, but alas, no Gamma World or boosters.
I have seen D&D 4e essentials starters at Walmart, but alas, no Gamma World or boosters.

That [D&D starter] being there is a major victory just by itself. 
If Wal-Mart or Target (also carrying the red boxed set now) ever carried Gamma World, I'd expect the D&D 4e: Star Frontiers game to greet me at the FLGS
I've seen a fair number of places that carry just the game, but no boosters.

Powell's bookstore in Portland does exactly this. They have the Magic beginner set as well, but no boosters. I'm guessing it's a theft thing, since this stuff is in a back corner with the roleplaying section.

Powell's bookstore in Portland does exactly this. They have the Magic beginner set as well, but no boosters. I'm guessing it's a theft thing, since this stuff is in a back corner with the roleplaying section.

Most likely. The Borders near me carries Core Set Magic Fat Packs sometimes too, but I've never seen boosters of any kind there. I don't think I've ever seen expansion sets there either, so I suspect its that very reason. A Core Fat Pack is large, and not easilly concealed, and being Core, is less in demand and therefore less likely to be stolen.
I was looking into the Famine in Far-Go release date issue last night, since I thought it was the 16th, and my friend pointed out that Amazon was saying December 21st...

I found this: www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards...

The document properties says that it was created on September 2nd. I'm going to fathom a guess, and that's ALL it is... just a guess... but my guess is that the release date shown on the WotC site listing of the product is a typo. Some staffer probably read the preorder date instead of the release date when they were entering the info onto the products page. Amazon has it right.

Now, I'd LOVE for it to come out on November 16th, because I'm planning on starting a campaign of it soon, and starting with that would be very cool, but it looks like December 21st was the original release date, all along.

BUT...
It reads like people who want to play Barrier Peaks in 4th Edtion will be able to now. IMHO

I noticed that too. As long as they still have the giant chickens in there, I'll be happy. Probably a later of the adventure, when the group is sent out in search of other food sources.
Looks like Wizards just updated their info to read December 21st as the release date.
Looks like Wizards just updated their info to read December 21st as the release date.

Major poopy-pants!

Major poopy-pants!

Which means we WON"T see it here in Australia until sometime in the New Year .... a so typical!
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)

I would killll to see the cards at walmart. the main annoying thing about buying cards online is that shipping can cost as much as the cards.
I'm so old... I actually remember both playing AND gm'ing the original Famine in Far-Go module. Ditto Legion of Gold!
I'm so old... I actually remember both playing AND gm'ing the original Famine in Far-Go module. Ditto Legion of Gold!

No worries. You're not alone here. I started out playing the 1st edition box and Legion of Gold. Played Famine in Far-Go with 2nd ed later on. Man... that was... 1980?

No worries. You're not alone here. I started out playing the 1st edition box and Legion of Gold. Played Famine in Far-Go with 2nd ed later on. Man... that was... 1980?

Yes that sounds about right. 80 or 81.

My FLGS was taking orders for Famine in Fargo yesterday.   They'll be able to sell it starting Dec 10 or 11.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I actually didn't start with Gamma World. My first foray into the sci-fi roleplaying was Metamorphosis Alpha.
I started with Second Edition.  I have loved it ever since.  Have hardly played it, however.  Just one offs.  I intend to change that with this edition.
I actually didn't start with Gamma World. My first foray into the sci-fi roleplaying was Metamorphosis Alpha.

Same here! Metamorphosis Alpha was my first scifi RPG. One of my friends bought Gamma World and I played it but didn't own a copy for a couple of years. Eventually I started to DM it back in the early 80's. GW is fun, but MA was my first scifi love. :-)

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975