Random AM/OT Charts; Character Sheet

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I decided for my game that I'd rather use charts than decks; I'd rather stick to GM decks, I'm not made of money, and I thought it might help to cut down on table clutter.

To that effect, I made the following charts and a fuller character sheet for my players.

CHARTS
Note: My personal version has the Atom AM/OT text, formatted as powers, but I figured that removing that would be a good idea for the 'release' version.

CHARACTER SHEET
Note: The Gamma World sheet starts on page 9; before that is a standard 4e sheet.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
i hate to say this but, since you posted charts, and some one else posted what all the powers do. some one could actually not buy any of the boosters and just print this stuff out or save it to their computer.

this was the problem with a playstation game called Eye of Judgement. people printed out the cards online and they stopped making money due to theft, basically, and the game tanked. i don't want that to happen here. i love this game.
You'll note that there are, ignoring the promos, exactly 100 cards each of AM and OT. The chart isn't even necessary to do what you describe - only the spoiler and the ability to count are required to do that. The only difference with my tables is that they break them up into multiple charts, primarily because my players like to roll percentile dice.

I'd expect Wizards to take issue with the spoiler before my chart, and they seem fine with the spoiler as long as prettified versions of it aren't posted, which you'll note I made a point of avoiding.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
I decided for my game that I'd rather use charts than decks; I'd rather stick to GM decks, I'm not made of money, and I thought it might help to cut down on table clutter.

To that effect, I made the following charts and a fuller character sheet for my players.

CHARTS
Note: My personal version has the Atom AM/OT text, formatted as powers, but I figured that removing that would be a good idea for the 'release' version.

CHARACTER SHEET
Note: The Gamma World sheet starts on page 9; before that is a standard 4e sheet. 

Nice table! Reminds me of the older versions of Gamma World and of Marvel Super-Heroes

The character sheet is nice as well, looks like it can fold up into a trifold pamphlet really nicely.

Thanks for posting these!
You'll note that there are, ignoring the promos, exactly 100 cards each of AM and OT. The chart isn't even necessary to do what you describe - only the spoiler and the ability to count are required to do that. The only difference with my tables is that they break them up into multiple charts, primarily because my players like to roll percentile dice. I'd expect Wizards to take issue with the spoiler before my chart, and they seem fine with the spoiler as long as prettified versions of it aren't posted, which you'll note I made a point of avoiding.

true.
Seriously, the cards are by far the worst feature, even more so than leaving out lots of important rules that adventurers should regularly encounter, like finding food and water, or putting trucks in but not having rules for vehicles.
Seriously, the cards are by far the worst feature, even more so than leaving out lots of important rules that adventurers should regularly encounter, like finding food and water, or putting trucks in but not having rules for vehicles.

Not trying to be snarky, but why would you need rules for vehicles?  Make them like a monster, or something like that.

Hear, hear!  IMHO there's too much complaining about the lack of rules / settings / prefabbed content.

I play Gamma World because so much is left to the roll of the die.  Or it's abstract.  Ammo: you has it.  NOW IT'S GONE.  Move on.

Sure, you want to play a noble, muscular hero.  But you can't.  You're a plant who is also on fire.  Deal with it.

I do like the dice roll chart as a card replacement, but it does remove the ability to stack a deck (which some folks like) and also the "shuffle" aspect of cards.  Sure, the distribution is similar, but with a deck of cards you KNOW that the clown feet are in there, and sooner or later they will float up to the top.  If they're on a chart there's a chance that nobody will ever get them.  And that's just a shame. 
To each their own; make your GW game your own and all that...

I'm welcoming rule suppliments arriving in future xpacs, but I'm fine with it as it is for the most part; we've had no difficulty judicating abstrations like vehicles, travel, etc.

Pretty much we make it up and have a good time.
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
I'm not sure that tables really take the place of having cards in hand. If you like the cards better, you'll buy the cards. I like tables so I made a similar table for myself, but I still like to have cards to let my players use during play.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Sure, you want to play a noble, muscular hero.  But you can't.

Or you can, depending on your GM's feelings on the randomness issue.

I do like the dice roll chart as a card replacement, but it does remove the ability to stack a deck (which some folks like) and also the "shuffle" aspect of cards.

Another big issue with a lot of the the dice replacement tables I've seen so far is they tend to assign nearly equal changes to getting a rare or common card.  If you were actually using an unseeded pile of booster cards you would only get a rare result 12.5% of the time (less when you mix in the core set from the box) and see each individual one rarely, which makes those times it shows really stand out.

You are, of course, assuming that this isn't being drawn from a player's or DM's deck, right?

Who cares what they pull from a booster pack if they come to the game with pre-built decks.

If they have the 7-card minimum and go with 2 of each card then it's a 2/7 for 3 cards and a 1/7 for one card. The odds are completely skewed and messed if all of those cards are rares.

That is if you don't enforce the 2 commons/uncommon, 2 uncommons/rare rule.

The table method is perfectly valid method to generate mutations. The odds are equal across the board for any single mutation if you use d%.

Though, I was thinking about splitting the cards into tables for common, uncommon, and rare then having a fourth table that you rolled d% on with the probability curve that mimicked the house rule of 4/2/1. So 01-60 = common mutation, 61-95 = uncommon mutation, and 96-100 = rare mutation (or something like that) then you have equal odds of getting a particular mutation on the different tables.

Anyway, my point is, table-generated mutations are cool. Comparing them to opening a booster is akin to comparing rocks and whales. You don't know what cards your players own when they come to a game.
You are, of course, assuming that this isn't being drawn from a player's or DM's deck, right?

Assuming you are talking to me, I'm assuming most of the charts I've seen (including this one) are intended to replace the DM deck (I have no idea how a 100 card chart could apply to a preconstructed 7 card deck).  As I prefer the notion that rare (usually more powerful) mutations should show up less commonly then weaker ones, I'm not going to construct a DM deck (or use a chart) that has an equal chance of every result and instead prefer to follow a ratio (using duplicate cards in a deck if required) similar to that of a booster (why I gave that as example) or the frequently used 4/2/1.

I was thinking about splitting the cards into tables for common, uncommon, and rare then having a fourth table that you rolled d% on with the probability curve that mimicked the house rule of 4/2/1.

I actually really like this.  I'd be very tempted to use a table structured along these lines as a DM deck (assuming I wasn't aiming for a specific theme of course).  Though I do really like the solidity of having real cards in play (which probably explains why I've bought around 30 boosters so far).
Yeah, I should have quoted you, Serpine. a d% for 7 cards would be pretty simple to do with mapping, but we're talking about 7 cards and 100 numbers to distribute. It'd be akin to writing out 1-100 and then assigning the cards in a 7-card pack to each of the numbers (*shudder* but there're people out there that would do this...top-down, left-right, bottom-chicken thinking you know).

I also thought it would be interesting to have a table to determine the type of mutation (Bio, Dark, Psi) and then a table for rarity (Common, Uncommon, Rare, DM, Promo), THEN you have tables for the rare bio, rare dark, uncommon bio, dm bio, promo dark, etc.

Personally, I just have my players roll d% on the table of all mutations (100 in total, 40 DM, 60 Booster) and then give them the card for the session if it's from the DM deck or one I own; or do card swaps if I have a duplicate.

But I've house ruled in my game that the mutations you get at 1, 4, and 8 are permanent mutations. Alpha Flux only overrides these mutations until the end of the encounter. After a short rest their permanent mutations reassert themselves. Players still have their mutation decks (4/2/1 spread) and the DM deck to draw from as a result of the Flux though and we've had fun with that.

I think I'm going to add to the Second Wind house rules I run that if a player spends his Second Wind, he can choose to end the Alpha Flux and return to "normal". I already have it set up that you can untap a used mutation or untap a used omega tech. These effects are instead of the healing and defense bonus.
It'd be akin to writing out 1-100 and then assigning the cards in a 7-card pack to each of the numbers (*shudder* but there're people out there that would do this...top-down, left-right, bottom-chicken thinking you know).

I'd just pick 8 cards instead of 7, assign them to a d8, and call it a day.

But I've house ruled in my game that the mutations you get at 1, 4, and 8 are permanent mutations.

Interesting.  So in normal situations only these permanents would be out and the player deck is used purely in the case of flux?  How are the permanents determined, draw from the player deck? Chart?

I've thought of having a permanent card rule that requires the sacrifice of an origin power at each of those levels (novice for a common at 1st, utility for an uncommon at 4th, and expert for a rare at 8th.  But those would just be "theoretical" cards the players would pick from the full list and wouldn't flux, with the player deck and draw functioning normally.  Its more of an origin customization system then anything...

if a player spends his Second Wind, he can choose to end the Alpha Flux and return to "normal".

You could let them do it for the reverse as well.  "None of my powers are helping, I'm just going to hulk out! Argh! *spends a 2nd wind to cause a flux* Now you are in big trouble monsters, I will crush you with the awesome power of... erm... Object reading?  Oh that's just wonderful."
I have them roll d% and consult the chart which is just RAD1-40 + ATOM1-60. It's the randomness of birth, hatching, mitosis, whatever caused this particular character to come into being. If you roll 3 powerful rares, cool, if not then...well...another character after the first two rounds? heh

I thought of using the Second Wind to allow a player to "Force Flux (TM)" but am undecided still. I'll have to see what the players think about that. One of my players used the "Refresh a mutation" aspect of their Second Wind to great effect (I think it was Adrenaline Rage or something like that).

Another player's permanent mutation is fast healing. Then he Fluxed and drew Shimmershield. Which actually kept him from dying.

My monsters also Flux when I roll a natural 1, but they're always bizzare, unhelpful mutations to generate some laughter. Such as McJagger lips or vestigial wings.
When I made this, my thought was that it would be used for bar-standard draws. But if the DM wanted to seed the deck without using cards, that's easy, too; make sub-tables, have them roll on a particular table, give them modifiers to the roll, or even tell them what they get instead of rolling. Otherwise, it works exactly as written.

It's not that I dislike the card mechanic; I'd do it if the booster set were a boxed set expansion instead of randomly packaged. I'd still end up nixing player decks, but that's more playstyle than anything.

BTB, I've updated the tables with Two-Headed, as the text is now available. I'll post it in a little bit.
Well, apparently 'a little bit' means 'a little more than a month'. Embarassed

The link to the charts in the first post has been updated. The charts have been updated to include Two-Headed - at the time that I made the charts, that had not been spoiled, so I did not include it.
I updated the character sheet today. It now contains only the Gamma World version. I made some cosmetic changes, too.
It seems people are forgetting the common,uncommon,and rare types of the cards. I have 3 of each common, 2 of each uncommon, and 1 of each rare. I shuffle them at the start of each session and let my players draw their decks, so it balances out the way its supposed to in theory... the charts dont reflect this in a percentile chart.
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Oh, I considered using the common/uncommon/rare aspect of the cards. It just ended up being more work than it's worth, and I sort of WANT to see the rarer stuff more often.

Additionally, the Common:Uncommon:Rare ratio is probably 4:3:1 or 5:2:1, considering that there are eight cards to a pack.
Rare ratio is probably 4:3:1 or 5:2:1, considering that there are eight cards to a pack.

Yep, 5:2:1 in the boosters.
It seems people are forgetting the common,uncommon,and rare types of the cards. I have 3 of each common, 2 of each uncommon, and 1 of each rare. I shuffle them at the start of each session and let my players draw their decks, so it balances out the way its supposed to in theory... the charts dont reflect this in a percentile chart.

The rarity factor isn't meant to go in like that. It's meant to be a lure to buy more cards. Players are supposed to build their decks from their collections, rather than having a deck made of random cards. By having your players draw random decks, you might as well just put all the cards into the GM's deck and then not bother using player decks.
That's not entirely true.  It gives each player a unique, mostly exclusive subset of cards.  It's not my favorite method, but it's not exactly the same as simply using a GM deck.
Im not sure about being lured to buy more cards because some are "rare"... I only play Gamma World with a few people, and no one I know of "stacks" their own decks and we also dont use Player/DM decks... we shuffle a deck of each Alpha/Omega and draw from those, so its as random as the game suggests it should be.
Why did the hoop cross the road?
"Lure" is just a disparaging term used by people who don't understand why someone would enjoy collectible media when describing people who enjoy collectible media.  It implies that the only way one could enjoy the act of collecting objects of intentionally orchestrated "rarity" is if the participants were in some way tricked or trapped by the company's marketing department.

But then again, some people juggle geese
"Lure" is just a disparaging term used by people who don't understand why someone would enjoy collectible media when describing people who enjoy collectible media.  It implies that the only way one could enjoy the act of collecting objects of intentionally orchestrated "rarity" is if the participants were in some way tricked or trapped by the company's marketing department.

But then again, some people juggle geese

Or it could just be a term for a general marketing strategy. Would you have prefered if I said "draw" or "temptation", instead? It's not meant to be disparaging, it's just the way marketing works. By making the cards random, and then making some more rare than others, they're trying to get people to buy more of the product than they might otherwise - It's the same strategy they use for Magic, and that they used for D&D minis, and the Star Wars Minis... It's an effective strategy, but that doesn't make it an insult.
Unless one assumes that to enjoy it, one must have been tricked by the strategy.  Just so we're clear, this is not what you said, but simply a common assumption in this forum.
Sign In to post comments