Deck Lists as Character Builds

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For the Alpha and Omega decks, a player can have 7 cards and at most, two of any card with the same name.  So if you double up on three cards, you're going to have 4 different possible mutations and 4 different possible Omega devices.

This is how you build your character given your lack of control over origins, stats, skills, etc.,.

For anyone who wants to see the text of the cards summarized in one place:

"Rad" Alpha Mutations
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

"Rad" Omega Tech

"Atom" Alpha Mutations

"Atom" Omega Tech

As you can see, with only 4 cards in each deck, you can make some really specific things come up very, very often.

Another important thing is that you can remake your deck, so you get to know what your origins, stats, skills and equipment are before you mutate and get your tech.  So you can fill your mutations with ones you get an overcharge bonus with.

Example:  I ended up with a Radioactive Telekenetic.  I want a character that loads up with high tech military gear.  Her Radiation and Telekentic powers don't really require hands, so I may as well use them for holding weapons or driving vehicles.  Power Armour, Energy Weapons, etc.,.  And I want mutations that don't interfere with that stuff (often requiring available hands to operate).

Omega Tech
Card 1: Heavy Lift Harness.  -- An Omega Tech that is literally a vehicle walker with good defenses and 100 HP?  Perfect!
Card 2 (x2): Leaky Fusion Rifle -- A super powerful ranged weapon.  Yeah, it hurts, but not as badly as it hurts the enemies.  And the radioactive origin means that even if I roll max damage against myself, I take a single point.
Card 3 (x2): Grav Mortar -- A 5 by 5 area attack that knocks people down and whatnot?  Sounds good
Card 4 (x2):  Stun Whip -- One of the best ways to win a fight is to take away the enemy's ability to fight

Alpha Mutations
Card 1: Metal Body -- Gives you AC and some extra HP
Card 2 (x2): Hands of Time -- Makes an enemy go away for a while so you can kill his friends
Card 3 (x2): Healing Roots -- Going immobile to heal is probably okay when 3 of your 4 Omega Tech cards can reach out and touch someone and Radioactive and Telekenetic both have at-wills that reach out.
Card 4 (x2): I, Battery -- Grav Mortar and Fusion Rifle shots are fun, so why not have two?

Anyone else have deck lists to build specific types of characters?
Im guessing this is what they had in mind for hardcore/powergamer players, while more casual players use wacky anything-can-happen decks

I haven't made any yet, but for mutations I'm gonna take the middle road with my players, making larger themed decks based on thier origin types, but letting them pull from the DM deck-of-everything if they want to.

For Omega Tech, im gonna take one of the excelent suggestions someone else made of letting players draw from the DM deck at first, but keeping thier discarded tech to form a new deck. Eventually, when they get new Omega Tech draws, they can roll to see if they find something new, or find parts to refurbish stuff they already had.
If you're optimizing your player decks, another thing to keep in mind is functionality.  If you have a great defensive Alpha and a great defensive Omega, you might find yourself with no extra defense when you need it, or no offensive punch when you need it.  If you tune your Alpha deck to do one sort of thing really well, and your Omega to do something else, OTOH...

For Omega Tech, im gonna take one of the excelent suggestions someone else made of letting players draw from the DM deck at first, but keeping thier discarded tech to form a new deck. Eventually, when they get new Omega Tech draws, they can roll to see if they find something new, or find parts to refurbish stuff they already had.

That was me.  Laughing  I don't know why, but I feel very proprietary about that idea (in much more detail here).  It's really pretty obvious, though, I suspect a lot of GMs got the same sort of idea upon reading the Omega Deck rules, just as I did.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I've your optimizing your player decks, another thing to keep in mind is functionality.  If you have a great defensive Alpha and a great defensive Omega, you might find yourself with no extra defense when you need it, or no offensive punch when you need it.  If you tune your Alpha deck to do one sort of thing really well, and your Omega to do something else, OTOH...

That's an excellent point.  It might be best to make one deck for one purpose and the other deck for another or just go both one purpose.  If you limit yourself to 4 different cards, you can get even more specific.  You can look at all 16 possible combinations to see what it will be like if you happen to draw a given pair.

That was me.  Laughing  I don't know why, but I feel very proprietary about that idea (in much more detail here).  It's really pretty obvious, though, I suspect a lot of GMs got the same sort of idea upon reading the Omega Deck rules, just as I did.

It's a great idea.  Feel very proprietary if you like, but you're going to be disappointed if you expect everyone to credit you every time it's mentioned.

The problem I see with that house rule is implementing it alongside players having their own Omega Tech decks.  If they can make a separate discard pile and always pick from it, they could end up effectively keeping one Omega Tech as their only option.  They pull it, use it, discard it and then pull it again in an endless loop.  It's definitely a house rule more suitable to a group deck.

The problem I see with that house rule is implementing it alongside players having their own Omega Tech decks.  If they can make a separate discard pile and always pick from it, they could end up effectively keeping one Omega Tech as their only option.  They pull it, use it, discard it and then pull it again in an endless loop.  It's definitely a house rule more suitable to a group deck.

It doesn't really work alongside player-build Omega decks, not.  It replaces the usual player Omega deck.  Instead, the players accumulate failed Omega Tech, as the GM awards it and they fail Omega Charge Checks, until they have the minimum 7 cards, at which point they begin using it as an Omega player deck.  From then on, the mechanics run normally.  Players only 'build' their deck in the sense of deciding what to keep around hoping to get working again (build into their deck), what to salvage, or what to discard completely.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Sign In to post comments