To those who've run it...

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm anticipating running a one-shot of GW next week, and I've become worried about logistics. Specifically, how long does character creation take with only 1 book at the table? How do people interact with their Novice Powers?--there isn't enough room on the sheet to write out what they do, and with only 1 book, it seems power-lookup could take forever.

So how has this worked in your games? Any tips? Thanks!
I put together a quick 4-page printout with character creation rules on it. Then I printed out the half-sheet origins. Creation time took about an hour since there were a lot of questions about different things from both a non-gamer and D&D 4e perspective.

I would just go to your local copy shop, photocopy the pages of your book with the relevant tables needed based on the "Making Characters" steps. And get the origin half-sheets printed.

Unfortunately, I had to print off a bunch of the half-sheets because I was expecting 7-8 people to show up and needed enough in case the dice were screwy and everyone started off as a cockroach ;)

You could provide a deck of cards with 2 copies of each origin (3x5 index cards should work fine) and have the characters randomly draw 2 of those cards. If they happen to draw the same origin twice, give them the Engineered Human half-sheet with their primary. Remove the copies of that origin and allow the next person to pick. This way, everyone will be different and you'll only need to print out multiple copies of the Engineered Human half sheet.

Doing it this way will let them all see more of the game. You could also point them to an online random character generator and have them create their character that way. Print off the results and go. Character creation would go MUCH faster that way.
With some quick prep, it goes pretty fast. Even without preparing ahead of time, its pretty fast.
I'd say maybe 10mins per player, tops.

Its an advantage that creation is random. Nobody has to spend time optimizing or making choices. Its just 'Roll X die, and write down what I tell you'.

You can make the process a little snazzier if you follow Excalibur's suggestions of preparing a little, especially if you intend to play mutiple one-shots or shorts. In this forum there are a few threads with useful things in them - namely, Origin Half-Sheets or Origin Power Cards.

AH_Anarchy's fantasitc power cards can be found here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... His also have B&W versions as well as fancy color ones.

Some nice and easy cards for Origin Traits can be found here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... (And I swear I saw somewhere that Excaliber had posted his stuff, but I couldnt find them).

In addition, I'll plug my own thread for GW Community Origins if you want more options ;) community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Alternatively, you can make your own stuff as well if you have the time & inclination. The cards help because it gives you something to hand out to people so they don't have to waste time copying powers down.
I have posted some stuff, mainly D&D Encounters-styled character sheets for Gamma World. The original post is here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I am working on a way to create these randomly through a web browser (Firefox is best then Opera, Chrome, Safari, and maybe IE if I can get through the issues with Microsoft's junk). This tool will probably allow for entering characters using my campaign's house rules and for leveling up your characters as well.

The key is that you need to know the rules a bit beforehand so if players ask questions you can answer them. With a little prep work ahead of time, character generation can be quick and you can reuse the handouts over and over again.
Follow the links everyone has given you, and you should be fine.

I printed the origin cards out, turned them upside down, and told each player to pick two. That way, there was no duplication.

If you are running Trouble in Freesboro, I would replace the Blood Bird Swarm with a couple of individual Blood Birds, or even just one. That monster is insane; as a level 4 soldier with an AC of 19 and a damaging aura, it kills PCs. And dying in the first encounter is not fun. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Specifically, how long does character creation take with only 1 book at the table?

I ran twice, for six players each time.  The first time took a little over an hour, the second a bit under.  So, about an hour.

How do people interact with their Novice Powers?--there isn't enough room on the sheet to write out what they do, and with only 1 book, it seems power-lookup could take forever.

The character sheets have the basics on how to build your character.  You need to handle the rolls for origins and starting gear.  If your players are fairly comfortable with D&D, the rest should come easily.  There are some 'cheat sheets' with all the 1-st level stuff for each origin.  What I did was print them out on stickers, and have players randomly pick them, then just stick them right on the character sheet (there's just enough room in the origin section.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

If you are running Trouble in Freesboro, I would replace the Blood Bird Swarm with a couple of individual Blood Birds, or even just one. That monster is insane; as a level 4 soldier with an AC of 19 and a damaging aura, it kills PCs. And dying in the first encounter is not fun. 

I'm not running Trouble in Freesboro, as I don't have it only have a PDF of it and I'd rather run the intro adventure in the book. Thanks for the tip, though. If the game goes well hopefully we'll play again and I'm sure I'll use TiF.
I put together a quick 4-page printout with character creation rules on it.

It would be nice if you could share this so that I don't have to do what you've already done. Smile

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

The Freesboro adventure allots one hour for chargen.  Once a group has done it once or twice, it becomes a lot quicker.  More books also obviously helps and not just for chargen. 

To avoid that issue altogether during my demo, I just provided a bunch of pregens including an engineered human.  I specifically avoided duplications in origins so folks could see the actual spread in action. 

That said, character generation is one of the cooler aspects of the game, almost a game unto itself.
A regularly meeting group would have a blast with this since in-jokes and all that stuff help play into the fun of making up weird PCs.
I put together a quick 4-page printout with character creation rules on it.

It would be nice if you could share this so that I don't have to do what you've already done.

I have uploaded the character creation packet that I used for Gamma World Game Day. You should be able to use this for 99% of character creation. I did not include the extra gear stuff, we didn't bother with it on Game Day as per the instructions.

You can find it here: www.lyonesse.info/gammaworld/CreatingYou...
Thanks ExcalibursZ, that was great.

I just played last night for the first time.  witha group of 7, it took over an hour for PC generation.  I made copies of all the orgin entries, to help speed up the process.  Most either worked of the orgin cheat sheets I made or wrote thier novice powers on the back.  I have a goofy group of friends, so they took to Gamma World, I have the little white fluffy cat from all those James Bond movie as a PC, Elvis Jackson-Presley, the decentant of Marie Presley and Micheal Jackson from an alternate time line, and a golden android from the movie Space Balls, who's ranged attack is a boxing glove that launches from her chest, after she winds it up from a wind up key in her back.  We love it. 

We took over an hour or so in character generation, and we were just four on the table (I was the DM, and ended up creating a DMPC, and we were pretty much fumbling through the whole thing).

Rather off-topic: To cut down the character creation time, I'm currently developing a web-based character generator that would allow you to cut down the character creation to the amount of time it takes you to load the page (following random character creation rules in the book) plus the time it takes for you to pick your armor, melee weapon, ranged weapon and shield, as well as the time it takes for you to type your character's name.

It's very much operational at this point, randomly generating origins and gear (aside from Explorer's Kit, which can be sacrificed to get an extra roll on the random gear, as per book rules), and cutting down character generation to around 10 seconds during tests (probably a minute or two if/when I upload to a free PHP/MySQL server)... allowing you to spend the next 5 minutes writing down the stuff on a character sheet, since the powers are not yet included, and I haven't started spiffying the interface.

Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
I'm anticipating running a one-shot of GW next week, and I've become worried about logistics. Specifically, how long does character creation take with only 1 book at the table? How do people interact with their Novice Powers?--there isn't enough room on the sheet to write out what they do, and with only 1 book, it seems power-lookup could take forever.

Friday night 4 people took 1.5 hours. However, that also included eating and yacking like old bitties. 10 minutes a person seems about right.

html5.holycow.com/gammaworld  can generate all the characters pretty stinking quick though. we had a 5th join and he had his character in like 3 minutes.

we printed out some origin sheets from one of the threads. 
html5.holycow.com/gammaworld  can generate all the characters pretty stinking quick though. we had a 5th join and he had his character in like 3 minutes.

we printed out some origin sheets from one of the threads. 

Hmm, interesting character generation page I used PHP/MySQL on mine, and apparently he used JavaScript on his.  Maybe I should just limit the use of MySQL on just saving the character sheets, rather than for storing the racial abilities as well...

... nah, I think I'll stick to my current setup, just add in an array column to store all the non-power details :p

Thanks for the link :D

Show

You are Red/Blue!

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
I'd love to see yours when you are done
Using a character origins deck (with no dupes for new players so everyone gets different origins) and a starting junk deck can really help speed up generation. Similarly, having some cheat sheets lets anyone with 4E knowledge know the rules differences very quickly and to quickly select weapons, armor, and figure out skills. (I don't have a starting junk deck, but the others can be found in my blog)

That really leaves you with the slowest part, which is the math around scores/attacks. I could see someone making a sheet that walks you through that and provides an example, plus prints the modifiers (16 means +3, etc.). I bet that would really help speed things up. It was the slowest and least valuable part of the GW gameday I ran.

I do like to spend time in this area, but primarily around sharing the wacky origins and attributes and establishing the tone between the players and DM. That usually pays dividends later on when the actual game begins.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I'd love to see yours when you are done

This is the alpha version of what I made.  It already works for level 1, but I'm working to have allow this to save your character online and what not.

gw4echargenerator.zzl.org/char_edit.php

Clicking the "Chaos!" button would generate another random level 1 character, while the "Change" button would allow you to set other variables** without altering the existing page.  In case you're wondering about a third skill getting a +4, apparently in addition to the two origin-based boosts to your skills, you get a third boost by rolling a d10, resulting in as much as 17 on a single skill [+1 level, +4 stat, +4 primary origin, +4 secondary origin, +4 random bonus].

** namely, the melee weapon, ranged weapon, shield, armor, explorer's kit, and random gear.

In my to-do list are:

* Powers (in standard D&D 4E power format). The idea is already there, with the weapons and all, and I'm thinking of turning this into a power card generator of sorts (still have to figure out how to make sure the printer doesn't cut tables when being printed, and all... or maybe I should study on how to turn web pages into PDF files...).
* Saving and editing of each character, and making sure that only those characters you create would be accessible to you.  Kinda like iplay4e.appspot.com or the D&D Character Builder.  Although I suppose I could simply put in a drop-down menu to simplify the process.

Suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome

EDIT: Even more off-topic, but my character generator just pulled out a Seismic / Plant, and yeah it sucks that either I get 18 AC at level 1 but have 4 speed, or I get 16 AC *with shield* at level 1 in exchange for 5 speed...

Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
Excellent job Chaosfang ... impressed.

Would I be stretching your programming experitise in asking whether it would be possible to print what you have done in a GW design character sheet?

Here's another 'project' for you ... do you have any idea of doing a card creator program?

EDIT:

Whilst looking around, I found the following:

www.wowtcgdb.com/creator.aspx

Maybe this may give you (or other programmer savvy people out there) something to go by ... Good Luck.
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)
I'm actually working on an in-browser version of a fillable WotC stock character sheet. Should be done within the next week depending on my work schedule.
Excellent job Chaosfang ... impressed.

Would I be stretching your programming experitise in asking whether it would be possible to print what you have done in a GW design character sheet?

Here's another 'project' for you ... do you have any idea of doing a card creator program?

EDIT:

Whilst looking around, I found the following:

www.wowtcgdb.com/creator.aspx

Maybe this may give you (or other programmer savvy people out there) something to go by ... Good Luck.

Wow, nice card creator. Would definitely incorporate it when I can
@ExcalibursZ: I'd love to see your work when it's out
Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
File under: Yet Another GW Character Sheet

www.mediafire.com/?k0mu0th8a6sym66

I combined elements from several character sheets that are floating about the forums. I wanted something a little more involved than Weem's 1-pager, but a bit less detailed than the excellent sheets made by Oraibi. Anyway, they are what I was looking for, so maybe they're what you're looking for?
The official charactersheet was designed by someone who hadn't really played any D&D before. No level, no passive perception or insight, only 8 slots for gear/salvaged junk...I mean it's nifty that it's got the same look and feel as the cover, but it would have been more intelligent to do a full-sized sheet or folio and provide more space for stuff.

My current project of creating an online character generator using the official sheet hit the gear issue. It looks like I'm going to have to present some custom stuff in order to get the gear, level, and other skills (passive or active) on the sheet.

My Encounters-based ones have more info on them than the official one...yeesh.

I combined elements from several character sheets that are floating about the forums. I wanted something a little more involved than Weem's 1-pager, but a bit less detailed than the excellent sheets made by Oraibi. Anyway, they are what I was looking for, so maybe they're what you're looking for?

This is a really nice one-pager!

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

For those interested: www.lyonesse.info/gammaworld/GammaWorldC... these are the Encounters-based charactersheets using the 10 origin images from the Gamma World rulebook.

Here is a sample: There is a mistake with the initiative calculation, but the rest is OK.

Now theres a character sheet I can use Has room for anything you might need to write down. Thanks for posting that, Excalibur.
For those interested: www.lyonesse.info/gammaworld/GammaWorldC... these are the Encounters-based charactersheets using the 10 origin images from the Gamma World rulebook.

Here is a sample: There is a mistake with the initiative calculation, but the rest is OK.

I think you're being alittle 'harsh' on the "... but the rest is ok ..." comment. OK? These are great and will get 'some' use in my next game.

This is a really nice one-pager!

I agree ... neatly done ... gratz!

I think you're being alittle 'harsh' on the "... but the rest is ok ..." comment. OK? These are great and will get 'some' use in my next game.

As in the formulae are OK I like the sheets and I've created over 80 other custom portraits for my players to choose from. Everything from cybernetically wired kids to catgirls to mecha.

I'm digging Oraibi's sheet, quite complete. GregDan's reminds me a bit of Star Frontiers

I'm digging Oraibi's sheet, quite complete. GregDan's reminds me a bit of Star Frontiers

Yep, if and when we turn GW into a campaign, we'll switch to Oraibi's sheet(s). 'Star Frontiers' seems to be the default setting in Excel for graphic elements, along with your choice of shades of light blue. Here's the sheet again, with a more GW friendly orange and green color scheme:

www.mediafire.com/?ncc1o61sn55exyg

~ GregDan

Update on my little project: while I haven't gotten around making actual power cards, I went around to include origin powers, complete with automatically calculating the static bonus to hit & damage. EXP / level is now set by drop-down box -- originally I planned it to be a text box, for when saving the thing -- and overall format was adjusted, so that everything would fit on one page only.

Of course, this doesn't fully function as a proper character sheet, but it *does* make character generation a lot easier, at least for me ^_^

EDIT: In case you're wondering, I decided to scrap the Gamma World book's confusing power color coding scheme (green for novice, regardless if it's encounter or at-will) in favor of the more "classic" color coding scheme (green for at-will, red for encounter).  It's a lot easier on my part, at least in terms of figuring out how often I can use my powers.

Tell me what you think of the new generator

EDIT (again): I don't really know what's causing this, but sometimes the secondary origin powers refuse to convert the stat name into the equivalent integer value even if I'm using the exact same function *and* value equivalents for the primary origins.  Maybe it's the server (but no matter; it's very easy to manually input the values anyway, and it's for two, maybe three powers at worst, since the problem only appears in the secondary origin powers).

Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
This is very cool. Bookmarked. I will probably allow players to choose their origins, but the randomizer is excellent for those who like to take their chances.

Gratzi! 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
This is very cool. Bookmarked. I will probably allow players to choose their origins, but the randomizer is excellent for those who like to take their chances.

Gratzi! 

Agreed!  This is an amazing generator.  I was about to bounce out 6 pre-gens for another demo game this weekend and thought I'd give this a whirl.  In the time I'd have rolled and written up 2 PCs, this thing let me make up a bunch so players can have a lot of choice in pre-gens.

My wish list is short but drop down boxes for stat and origin selection and maybe to be able to save for future level ups would make this perfect.  Even without that, it's meeting 99% of what I could ask for esp. in a FREE product   The ability to pick a higher level PC and then have the bonuses auto-populate is Brilliant.  Thanks.

Gratzi! 

Agreed!  This is an amazing generator.  I was about to bounce out 6 pre-gens for another demo game this weekend and thought I'd give this a whirl.  In the time I'd have rolled and written up 2 PCs, this thing let me make up a bunch so players can have a lot of choice in pre-gens.

My wish list is short but drop down boxes for stat and origin selection and maybe to be able to save for future level ups would make this perfect.  Even without that, it's meeting 99% of what I could ask for esp. in a FREE product   The ability to pick a higher level PC and then have the bonuses auto-populate is Brilliant.  Thanks.

You're welcome, and yeah I don't mind it being free myself, since it helps me a lot in my own Gamma World character generation ^_^ Actually I *was* planning on implementing those myself -- particularly the saving option, as well as origin selection -- although until I figure out two things:

1. Log-in and registration system, so that you can save the characters without other people messing around with the characters you make.  Well, unless you guys don't mind just saving the characters then seeing each others' characters later on :p

2. Point-buy system implementation (since currently it's 18-primary-16-secondary-3d6-everything-else).

...this'll have to do for now :p (Note that once #1 is implemented, I may change the EXP portion so that you can type the EXP -- rather than setting the EXP via drop-down box -- and save it, so that you can monitor the progress of your character... although I'll definitely keep the current one as a backup ^_^ ).

One minor bug I'll be addressing soon would be players with Human origin getting 1 AC more than what they should (seems the +1 to NADs erroneously carries over to the AC as well).  Can't address it right now, because of non-Gamma World stuff. Fixed

VERY OFF-TOPIC
Aside from this free [first] project, a friend of mine is requesting that I make a Legend of the Five Rings character builder -- which would be my second project, probably going to request payment for that, given the fact that I'm requested to make the whole thing work for ALL eras -- and let's just say I'm saddened and infuriated enough by WotC's move to make their character builder online-only + subscription-only to start a simple, yet working third product.

Now to start studying how to place watermarks on images, so that I can actually create power/stat cards...

Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
The point buy I came up with is here.

If you make your own, and run the math, it might be helpful.  
I started my GW campaign last night. The PCs are currently slaves and forced to fight in a Neogi-owned slave arena.

I used Dr.C.'s point-buy system but people actually used one of 2 other options I presented: Standard 3d6, straight assignment; or 3d6 and assign scores.

I designed my own Pure-Strain Human stats which are available if people want to run them (choose origins) with PSH as primary and EH as secondary.

The Ancient Junk table was expanded and I add the character's passive Science check to any rolls made against it.

Permanent mutations are the norm with Alpha Flux temporarily overriding the permanent mutation. These are rolled against a table of all mutations. If I happen to have duplicates of the cards, I trade them for cards the player has that I don't. At the end of the encounter, Alpha Flux wears off. Monsters are also subject to Alpha Flux, though they get stupid or funny mutations (oversized lips, chicken feet, vestigal wings, T-Rex arms, etc.) to add flavor to any natural 1's I roll for the monsters.

I adapted the wound system presented eslewhere on the forums to something more of what I thought would be fun to play. And I added a new function to Second Wind.

My house rules for my campaign can be found here: www.lyonesse.info/gammaworld/GammaTerraC...

I also used Oraibi's character sheets as the generic character sheet in addition to the option of using my Encounters-based sheets (custom-tailored for each PC).

Since we've had a few people come over and watch the game (we play at my FLGS), I think I'm going to provide monster character sheets and offer to allow the watchers to take part in combat. This offloads some of the work I have to deal with and allows spectators to enjoy the game as well.
Your house rule document looks very cool.

What fonts are those? It looks just like an Essentials book!

I would urge you to rethink the way you implemented Wounds though. A penalty to attack and skill rolls immediately messes up 4E's very delicate balance between attack rolls and defenses. In previous editions of D&D, a -2 attack penalty was not a big deal. There were a dozen ways to compensate for it, mostly through spells or powers. But in 4E, attack bonuses are a lot harder to come by and a player with an attack penalty is just going to miss all the time while the monsters keep hitting. That adds suck.

What I did, and it's not tested yet, was give Wounds a -1 penalty to Death Saves. So they add risk without making the PCs suck. To many players, this is win-win, since they can continue fighting at their best ability and intensify the risk of death.

By the way, I just finished the draft of my own end of the world, a replacement for the Big Mistake which I call the Year of the Dragon
Your house rule document looks very cool.

What fonts are those? It looks just like an Essentials book!

The fonts are called Mentor Sans Std. I forget where I got them though. I used Identifont (an AWESOME website www.identifont.com/) and found this. A google search later and I had the font.

I would urge you to rethink the way you implemented Wounds though. A penalty to attack and skill rolls immediately messes up 4E's very delicate balance between attack rolls and defenses. In previous editions of D&D, a -2 attack penalty was not a big deal. There were a dozen ways to compensate for it, mostly through spells or powers. But in 4E, attack bonuses are a lot harder to come by and a player with an attack penalty is just going to miss all the time while the monsters keep hitting. That adds suck.

What I did, and it's not tested yet, was give Wounds a -1 penalty to Death Saves. So they add risk without making the PCs suck. To many players, this is win-win, since they can continue fighting at their best ability and intensify the risk of death.

Actually, it played very well. The only person who obtained wounds had the permanent mutation of Fast Healing. Since I admittedly forgot to take into account how Alpha Mutations would affect the house rles, I ruled that Fast Healing would allow the player to discard a wound at the end of his turn if he made a save. Normally you save during a short rest so having the mutation update the rule to remove a wound on a successful save made sense. The penalties kicked in for one round, but nobody hated it, they actually enjoyed the little extra grit.

Two of my players were from old-school Gamma World and the wound system was fine with them. The other players had no issues with it either. They didn't even bother to be careful and just went crazy tank on an Orlen, ignoring the badder sharpshooter, hoop minion, and porker minions. When they realized how much poop they were in, they started playing a bit smarter.

The accelerated healing guy Alpha Fluxed and got Shimmer Shield. Very timely since he'd gone to 0 twice (3 total wounds) and still whomped some butt with his makeshift axe. Another player wanted a charismatic, fast, empathic hero that was dumb as rocks. Imagine The Tick and you have it. Because it was so close to The Tick, I gave him secret "take 20's" every once in a great while when it came to Int-based skills. He was surprised when he stabilized the aforementioned healing guy on a roll of 5. Granted, his role-playing was awesome so that's why I gave him that particular bonus (and it made everyone else gawk at him) heh. So the healing guy stabilized and though he had 3 wounds when the encounter ended, I don't think there was any problem. My players took it in stride and went on with the game as if it were a normal stroll through a mutant-filled park or petting zoo.

If it turns out that the wound system becomes too cumbersome, I'll change or remove it. But for now it's doing well.

By the way, I just finished the draft of my own end of the world, a replacement for the Big Mistake which I call the Year of the Dragon

Awesome! Will read in a few.

The only upsetting thing for me? Nobody chose my version of the PSH...*sigh* Well, maybe sometime in the future they'll run into a few They have to escape from the arena in the next session, so we'll see what they think of the Knights when they come after them
Does anyone ever want to play a PSH? To be honest, I can see why they left that option out of the rules -- PSHs are boring and miss out on the fun of Gamma World. Sure you can build an option for them that is balanced, stat-wise, but that doesn't make them fun.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

Does anyone ever want to play a PSH?

In older editions the option was much more attractive: PSHs had boosts to stats (particularly hit points) and resistances, and while they didn't suffer mutation that also ment they didn't get negative mutations.  They got the best chances for understanding gear (since you had to figure it out) and their "tech level" or whatever was set so they wouldn't get as bad penalties for waving laser pistols around.  Also several modules had situations where robots or powered doors would recognise the PSH and obey/open, power armor wasn't supposed to fit (or even work at all usually) for people who didn't fit the human build norm, etc.  An old Dragon article basically established that PSH were just decendants of those who benefited from all the best genetic engineering before the fall, so they were essentially perfect.  There was something ego stroking about that.

I lot of the talker/leader types in my old groups gravitated towards the option.

In the current design every mutation is a positive, all tech is perfectly comprehensible, everybody is equally tough, and there hasn't been enough lip service to how much intelligent tech will bow down before the human type characters.  So its been made far less cool...
Even in older editions, PSH were pretty boring. The whole world is full of mutant people and you want to play a normal person? Pshaw! The only benefits they got seemed to be basically "here be boring, you'll get powergamey stuff."

PSH were just decendants of those who benefited from all the best genetic engineering before the fall

Ummmm, wouldn't that be Engineered Human?

Also, if engineered like you say, I would hardly call them PURE.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!