Traps & Hazards

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
So the book only has 3 TOTAL traps/hazards. If I were to run this to 10th level, would that be enough? There aren't even rules for creating your own traps/hazards, and even though I think I could extrapolate it with enough work (mm, maybe), I don't want to do that work. So the question stands to you veteran 4e players/people who've played or ran Gamma World: Are the 3 the book provides enough? And if not, what can I do?

Keep in mind, I'd run this as basically a tactical combat game with minimal in-between RP BS, so Traps/Hazards would only show up in combat or occasionally in-between a combat.

Thanks!
Go get the latest compiled errata/updates for D&D and check out the damage tables in there.  That'll be a good guideline for how much damage a trap/hazard of a given level should do.

The three are interesting, but how many times are they going to show up before your players are bored of them.  The Plasma tunnel is well out of the scope of low level wastelanders.  They'll just die from that.

The DDI compendium has 162 traps from level 1 to 10.  You'd need a DDI account to use the compendium, but they are there.  I suppose it's a judgement call whether or not it's worth spending a month's subscription fee to copy/paste/print all of them from the compendium.  While you're at it, you could also update the monster builder and download all the back issues of Dungeon & Dragon.  D&D monsters are fully compatible with gamma world from a rules standpoint.

EDIT:  You'll need to convert some of the skill rolls involved with the traps and hazards.  For example, the razor spores require a DC 15 Arcana check to recognize them for what they are.  In Gamma World that'd be Science? 
EDIT:  You'll need to convert some of the skill rolls involved with the traps and hazards.  For example, the razor spores require a DC 15 Arcana check to recognize them for what they are.  In Gamma World that'd be Science?

I would have to rule either Nature (for recognizing carnivorous plants) or Science would work. Since razor spores (I don't know what they are) sound like they've come from some plant.
yea, pretty easy to alter stuff... oh look, a necrotic skull trap? now it's a unstable decaying radioactive goo. same stats, will be just fine.
Skill Conversions for traps are typically pretty straightforward.

1. Thievery -> Mechanics

2. Arcana / Religion -> Depends on context, but usually Conspiracy or Science.
  If it requires knowledge of magic, then Conspiracy.
  If it requires use of magic, player may use Conspiracy if they have a magical origin*, otherwise Science may occassionally be able to neutralize something.
  If its plant/creature based, then Nature.
  If its Undead or Planar, probably Science, maybe Conspiracy.
  If its Alchemical its definitely Science.
  If its been reflavored to radiation/laser, then Science.

3. Dungeoneering -> Nature or Science, depending on context.

4. Reflavored Traps - Some traps are easilly reflavored. Necrotic -> Radiation, Radiant -> Laser, and so on. Such cases typically change a trap to Mechanical or Science checks, depending on whether its a simple mechanical delivery system, or a more complext electronics thing.

*Magical Origins are found in the Gamma World Community Origins.
4. Reflavored Traps - Some traps are easilly reflavored. Necrotic -> Radiation

Be aware that necrotic damage is already in Gamma World as is, and at least 4 cards in the box set use the necrotic keyword.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Here is my interpretation of D&D skills to Gamma World skills:

D&D -> Gamma World
Acrobatics -> Acrobatics
Arcana -> Consipracy / Science / Perception*
Athletics -> Athletics
Bluff -> Interaction
Diplomacy -> Interaction
Dungeoneering -> Conspiracy / Mechanics / Nature**
Endurance -> Athletics
Heal -> Science
History -> Conspiracy
Insight -> Insight
Intimidate -> Interaction
Nature -> Nature
Perception -> Perception
Religion -> Conspiracy
Stealth -> Stealth
Streetwise -> Interaction
Thievery -> Acrobatics / Mechanics / Science***

*: Arcana is more than knowledge of magic, it also includes alchemical ingredients, potions, determining how magic items/artifacts work, and monster knowledge (Construct, Elemental, Fey, and Shadow). It also allows for magic detection if the character is trained in the skill.

To simulate this skill best, use Conspiracy for anything that requires knowledge of circles, markings, language, and the properties of specific critters. Use Science for any type of magical substance or item. Use Perception for detecting magical effects.

**: Dungeoneering is used for identifying aberrant creatures, foraging, and circumstances dealing with undergound adventure. Use Conspiracy for anything dealing with critter identification. Mechanics for determining whether a wall will collapse or other structural issues. Use Nature for foraging for food and water.

***: Thievery is a skill that I think should be integral to Gamma World. But since it isn't, I'd suggest you use Acrobatics. Page 61 of the GW rule book provides an awesome crossover: Use acrobatics for anything that requires feats of agility where nimbleness is needed (paraphrased). I was considering Stealth for Theivery, but Acrobatics fits perfectly especially since Pick Pockets and Sleight of Hand fit this description. For Disabling Traps and Opening Locks use either Mechanics or Science depedning upon the type of trap or lock in question. Computerized traps and locks use Science, physical traps and locks require Mechanics.

Basically, Gamma World has consolidated a lot of stuff and made things more generic which makes things both easier and more difficult. With the above list, I hope I've given an easier way to port over skill DCs to Gamma World from D&D modules, monsters, traps, etc.

Another option is to re-expand the skill list and bring over any skills that are missing that don't necessarily fall into the Gamma World skills definitions. This may represent all of the different worldlines and the possible skills available to your other selves.

New Gamma World skill list:
Roll 2d6 + 1d8 (instead of 1d10):
3  - Acrobatics
4  - Arcana
5  - Athletics
6  - Conspiracy
7  - Dungeoneering
8  - Endurance
9  - Heal
10 - Insight
11 - Interaction
12 - Mechanics
13 - Nature
14 - Perception
15 - Religion
16 - Science
17 - Streetwise
18 - Stealth
19 - Thievery
20 - reroll
For skills it's just a matter of reskinning it and then picking what is appropriate for the new idea.  For the razor spore example, they are magical metal spores that make rocks explode.  They're explicitly magical in D&D.  So if you want to make them a radioactive pressure thing, then science.  If you want them to be a carnivorous plant that explodes rock like pseudopods in order to kill things so it decomposes as fertilizer, it should be nature.

To port a trap or hazard over to Gamma World I'd do the following:

- Read it to determine the general theme and effect
- Decide what needs to change (if anything) for it to be GW appropriate. 
- Figure out which skills and damage types (if any) need to change.
- Make a note of the change for the future to keep conversions consistent in your campaign

Example:  Doom Spore 

it's a level 3 elite obstacle.  It's basically a giant mushroom that fills one square and when it's disturbed, it releases spores to the surrounding squares.  No Perception check is needed to notice the big mushroom, but to identify it as a doom spore mushroom is a DC 22 Dungeoneering check.

Fortunately, the spores only work on bloodied creatures.  Unfortunately the cloud of spores sticks around for the whole encounter.  The spores do a bunch of poison damage and ongoing poison damage.

You can successfully move through the squares the doom spore mushrooms occupy with a DC 27 Dungeoneering check. 

So what needs to change?

Very little.  A mushroom that spews out spores when it's disturbed or attacked is totally appropriate to Gamma Terra.  The poison damage is fine.  The only thing that doesn't work is Dungeoneering.

The description of Nature in the Gamma World rulebook says that it's the skill used to cope with the natural hazards of the world and explicitly lists carnivorous plants as an example.  So Nature it is.

Done.  You know have a Gamma World appropriate hazard.

Example 2 - Gibbet Zombies

Imagine a giant metal tree.  Hanging from it like fruit are cages containing corpses of various states of decomposition.  When something gets close the reach out to grab the unfortunate target.

In terms of game effect, if you enter the square next to one of the gibbets, you get grabbed if the attack roll hits.  You have to escape the grab normally by rolling an athletics or acrobatics check of DC 10.

If a gibbet takes 10 points of damage, the zombie inside is destroyed and doesn't grab anyone anymore.

So, for Gamma World, this could be anything.  A carnivorous plant with vines that grab.  Telekentic anchors that keep those who get too close restrained.  Hypnonodes that capture one's attention if you get too close.

But the real issue here is the lack of grappling rules in Gamma World.  Every effect that grabs either restrains or immobilizes instead.

So if you go for restrained or immobilization, what ends the effect?  You could make it (save ends).  You could explicitly say that the person is restrained/immobilized until they spend a move action and make an athletics or acrobatics roll of DC10 to shift one square.  That would probably keep the original intent of the gibbet zombies intact.  And immobilized is probably better than restrained because grabbing doesn't impose the additional effects associated with being restrained.

So let's say they are Dark type alien tractor field pods originally designed for urban pacification.  How they got deployed where they are is anyone's guess.    If you enter a square adjacent, they try to put up their force fields to keep you in place.

I'd add a Science roll to recognize them for what they are.  For counter measures, I'd probably also keep the 10 damage to disable them but change it over to gamma world style where a single blow needs to do 10 or more damage.  A target that is hit by their attack against fortitude is immobilized.  And I'd add in the escape is accomplished by spending a move action and making a DC 10 athletics or acrobatics check to shift a square way. 

Kind of a wussy hazard on it's own, but combined with a monster that has an additional effect on immobilized targets and things could get nasty.  If an array of these appeared, I'm sure it might attract a critter that figures out it's an ideal hunting ground.  Soul Besh could go right to injecting their venom, for example. 

Note that this would result in many players with Interaction and Mechanics, and very, very few with Stealth, Thievery, Acrobatics, and Arcana.  This may or may not be what you want.

Note that this would result in many players with Interaction and Mechanics, and very, very few with Stealth, Thievery, Acrobatics, and Arcana.  This may or may not be what you want.

Yeah, its better not to use mutiple dice unless you actually want a higher occurence for certain things. IMO, just roll a d20 and ignore 18-20. Or maybe add in "1 - Nothing, 18 - Pick One, 19 - Roll Twice, 20 - DM's choice" or something like that.
OK, then roll a d20 on a 1, 2, or 20 reroll otherwise the roll is the skill you gain.
Okay, so thanks for all the advice. I MAY get a DDI subscription once, if the game takes off, and use the traps, and just convert the skills needed (I'm not gonna hack it, but thanks anyway).

BUT. Is there any way I can make traps? Any system to use in 4e? I don't want to wing it and guess the level; I'd like an established system if there is one. Even if it's in a book, that's OK, I don't want to buy it but my library has most of the 4e books.

I wish GW had monster creation/trap creation rules. I know it's supposed to be a smaller game, but I'm just worried there's not quite enough in the book to make for a satisfying lvl 1-10 game.
BUT. Is there any way I can make traps? Any system to use in 4e? I don't want to wing it and guess the level; I'd like an established system if there is one. Even if it's in a book, that's OK, I don't want to buy it but my library has most of the 4e books.

Check out both DMGs.  It has all the rules you need to come up with level appropriate traps, hazards and creatures.

I know it's supposed to be a smaller game, but I'm just worried there's not quite enough in the book to make for a satisfying lvl 1-10 game.

Remember that, despite what it says on the box, the Gamma World box set is really only designed to support you through level 4. "Famine in Far-Go" will take you from levels 4-7 and "Legion of Gold" will get you through levels 7-10. The monster list in the GW core set stops at level 6 for just this reason; that's about as tough as you are going to need for a 4th level encounter. The supplements will have more monsters at medium and high level.

Unfortunately, they're not out yet.

I totally agree; we don't have enough traps and hazards. And you have gotten a lot of good advice on converting over or making new ones. The only thing you really need to make GW hazards/traps is the Skill DC chart on page 95 and the latest version of "average damage per monster level," which you can find on the 4E errata page (get errata for the DMG or Consolidated) if you don't already have it.

Trouble in Freesboro has another trap: automated laser batteries. They're just made as Artillery monsters who do average damage to the nearest creature and can be turned off with a DC 16 check (failure=laser shoots you) or redirected to a target of the player's choice with a DC 19 check (failure=gun explodes).
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List

Remember that, despite what it says on the box, the Gamma World box set is really only designed to support you through level 4.

Ah, ok. Well, that makes a LOT more sense. Is there something official that says this? I wish they had put it in the box somewheres. I don't mind having to get more stuff to do more levels.
No, sadly, there's nothing on the GW box, or in any official dev diary, that tells you, "Honestly, we just put monsters in here up to 6th level. You have to buy the other two boxes to get the rest of the game," because, well, the world sucks and corporations have marketing departments who do what marketing departments have always done. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
because, well, the world sucks and corporations have marketing departments who do what marketing departments have always done. 

So true. I will be slightly angry if they pull something like that with the next booklet. But I know I'll be buying it anyway for the origins and adventure.

Which probably means its because of people like me that they could get away with something like that but. . . *shrug*
One great thing about RPGs is the fun of modifying them.  Take rules for a goblin and make an orc with some tweaking.  If you want just the base boxed game, you can play as long as you want and just tweak things here and there; make up monsters; all that cool 1970s and 80s stuff again

That said, it's cool to have most/all of the work done for you.  Nothing high tech but crossbow bolts mounted in the wall with a little fire damage could just as easily be laser blasters mounted in teh wall. 

Not GW, but the new DM's kit has a lot of stuff in it including several pages on traps and hazards and an adventure provided in two mini campaigns that could easily be modded for GW play. The tokens, maps and the DM screen are also going to be handy for both games (even though the GW rules are different in spots).