What happens with the cards for salvaged Omega Tech

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
As the title says, what do you do with the cards when you salvage an Omega Tech item? Do you keep the card and in some way indicate that it's salvaged, or do you shuffle the card back in the deck and write down the stats of your new item?

I can't find the answer in the GW book, but I'm leaning towards the latter option as it makes no sense that the odds of finding a similar item is reduced just because you chose to salvage it instead of tossing it away. 

My assumption was you'd retain the card, since it has the salvage stats on it, keeping it separate from your deck or regular Omega tech.

As far as salvaging not logically making it less likely to find the same item again, it's not like salting your Omega deck with items you want exactly makes that kind of sense to begin with.  ;) 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

My assumption was you'd retain the card, since it has the salvage stats on it, keeping it separate from your deck or regular Omega tech.

As far as salvaging not logically making it less likely to find the same item again, it's not like salting your Omega deck with items you want exactly makes that kind of sense to begin with.  ;) 

Seems logical enough that you keep the card, I just feel it's too much of a logistics hassle. I mean, keeping your Omega cards with you between sessions is annoying but managable I guess, but a salvaged tech can potentially stick around for many, many sessions.

And yeah, I think player Omega tech decks are a little weird, and will probably try to use a GM Omega deck while players have their own Alpha decks. Kinda reduces the nuisance of the cards having the same back, too.
I don't see why you'd keep the card.  It becomes a permanent item.  At the next extended rest, the player should totally be able to shuffle it back into their Omega deck.  Nothing in the Salvage paragraph says you don't discard it after you take down the info from the salvage section.  I'd follow the normal steps for discarding Omega Tech with the exception that you get it as a permanent item.

All forcing a player to keep it readied does is force them to try to get another physical card from a booster to replace it when they redo their deck at an extended rest. 
I don't see why you'd keep the card.  It becomes a permanent item.  At the next extended rest, the player should totally be able to shuffle it back into their Omega deck.  Nothing in the Salvage paragraph says you don't discard it after you take down the info from the salvage section.  I'd follow the normal steps for discarding Omega Tech with the exception that you get it as a permanent item.

All forcing a player to keep it readied does is force them to try to get another physical card from a booster to replace it when they redo their deck at an extended rest. 

I concur. I will have my players record their new item and discard the omega tech card. I *might* even make a handout for omega tech salvaged items or create salvaged cards that have the stats (or the player writes on). I'll also probably have the players draw from the GM deck for omega tech.

The problem becomes a real issue as more and more omega tech is salvaged. You're going to run out of cards or out of space on your sheet. I believe that all cards should go back into their respective decks during an extended rest.
I like the idea of making a card or sheet a player can use to track all their gear and salvage.  Good idea about making something the player writes on.

I'm going to let people build their Omega Tech decks as well.  Between the Alpha and Omega player decks, the ability to make them quite small (7 cards) and duplicate items) it means players can actively create roles for their characters.  They can load them with healing abilities and abilities that buff friends and make a leader be the most likely draw.  They can load them attack powers and equipment that does crazy damage and go the striker route.  Yes, it won't be as zany and random as everyone pulling from the same deck, but I can see why the option is there and will definitely let players make decks out of cards for both Alpha & Omega options.  
While I agree that I like the ability of a player Alpha deck to customize a character, I feel like it makes little sense for a PC to be more likely to find certain items because of his player's deck.  I guess, as a DM, I feel found treasure like that should be my province. 

One thing I've been considering that would dovetail nicely with the original question is this:

Placing most Omega tech, and having draws initially be only from the DM's deck.  As the PCs find Omega Tech and fail Charge Checks, they retain the items, and the PC retains the cards.  Once a PC has at least 7 unsalvaged Omega Tech cards, he builds them into a player deck.  From then on, we use the regular rules.  The player gets a roll each time he draws an Omega card to see if he can draw from his own deck.  When he does, it represents finding a power cell, replacement compenent, or something else that gets one of his junked Omega tech items working again - the one he draws from his deck.  Salvaged cards don't go back into that deck, since they've been adapted to function dependably in a new(ish) way, they can't be brought back up to snuff.  Still using the card mechanic, but in a way that makes a little more sense.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I think the whole 'salvaged Omega tech' rules were added because they knew we  would really want persistent technological toys.  They had to depower salvaged items to preserve the value of the cards.

I think the card would go back to the deck, and the stats would be jotted down in the footnotes of the character sheet. 

I found that printing the character sheets single sided on 8 1/2x 11 leaves a lot of space to write in.
"Remember, we are the music makers. We are the dreamer of the dreams." -Willy Wonka
While I agree that I like the ability of a player Alpha deck to customize a character, I feel like it makes little sense for a PC to be more likely to find certain items because of his player's deck.  I guess, as a DM, I feel found treasure like that should be my province.

I'm right there with you on that when it comes to D&D.  In Gamma World, I'm less concerned.  I'm okay with players having the ability to influence what bitz and bobs they find in the blasted post apocalyptic wasteland.

When he does, it represents finding a power cell, replacement compenent, or something else that gets one of his junked Omega tech items working again - the one he draws from his deck.

Very cool idea.  I may steal it.

While I agree that I like the ability of a player Alpha deck to customize a character, I feel like it makes little sense for a PC to be more likely to find certain items because of his player's deck.

Why not?  Roleplaying games are exercises in collaborative storytelling.  In roleplaying games (as in all stories), if an item is worthy of note, it should contribute to the story in ways that are meaningful  - and because it's a cooperative effort, it should be meaningful for both player and DM.  Why draw an arbitrary line in the sand that says "your dominion over your character's story ends here"?  Why put that line in front of "items," of all things?

Non-traditional?  Yes, in the sense that "loot" has historically been handed out by the DM or random number generator.  Non-sensical?  No moreso than any other choice I make as a player.  

OK, rationale behind a player-owned Omega Tech deck:

The character has been collecting things for some time and the result is his mundane junk and his Omega Tech. That's all there is to it.

NEW stuff, I believe, should still be drawn from the DM deck, but the stuff the character has on him when the game begins is the player's Omega Tech deck.

I think that fixes it. Though in my campaign, characters start out as enslaved gladiators so there won't be an Omega Tech deck to have. ;)
Why not?  Roleplaying games are exercises in collaborative storytelling.  In roleplaying games (as in all stories), if an item is worthy of note, it should contribute to the story in ways that are meaningful  - and because it's a cooperative effort, it should be meaningful for both player and DM.

Actually, I have no problem with a narrative aproach.  If Omega tech had been presented that way, it probably wouldn't have turned me off.  But, really, a narrativist take would clash pretty badly with the extreme randomness of GW7th, the player controls nothing about his character except name, gender, whether to use a sheild (because, really, your stats make the light/heavy decision for you, so 1-/2-handed is what's left) and what it all looks like.  That he should for some reason control what super-tech gear he might find is profoundly inconsistent with that.  

Though it's amusing that the CCG aspect, which is often explained as meant to increase randomness can actually greatly decrease it when used that way - small player decks with many duplicates minimize randomness.    

I was actually going to mention that, as I was amused by it too.  
what do you do with the cards when you salvage an Omega Tech item?

I have the player put a paper clip on the card.

it makes no sense that the odds of finding a similar item is reduced just because you chose to salvage it instead of tossing it away. 

I don't view that as a concern (indeed I view it more as a positive feature).
The latest version of my character sheet (the foldable, 2-sided "portfolio" sheet) has spaces specifically for writing in salvaged tech, so you can record the game stats and then return the card to the deck.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Mind you that there's still a chance that the player will have to draw from the DM deck when Omega tech is found. So they aren't always pulling from a stacked deck of their own design.

That said, our approach has been to document the salvaged item and its features/attacks and then return the card at the end of the session. 

The excuses for repeatedly finding tech of certain type are numerous and varied and I've seen and heard plenty of good ones.

We've generally stuck with 'familiarity' as our group excuse: If you know what an Energy Mace or The Patch looks like and you know how useful and valuable they are, you're going to be on the look out for more of those same items. With an eye for picking those out, you'll tend to notice them more often than other things in a pile of junk.

IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/FR_Icon2-1.png)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Poland.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/Ebb.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/GamaW.png)
I think you right the salvage item's details on the character sheet, then return the card to the deck. 

I plan to play it RAW if and when my players have the cards to make thier own decks.  building your own deck is one of the few areas a player can define the pc mechanically. 
One nice thing I notice, only 6 of the 40 GM Omega Tech cards are salvageable.  I think this is where the collectability of the game comes into play.  I woul say after you salvage something that card does not go back into your deck until you discard it for a better card of the same slot.   It also indicates a deck building strategy of "as soon as you hit a level where there is salvageable tech make a deck with those in it first, then after gearing out all the slots you can at that level, return to your regularly scheduled deck of destruction and healing."

So for example at level 1, my player deck would be full of killing things dead gear and healing.  As soon as I hit level 2 I would stack my deck with Level 2 salvage that matched my abilities, then as soon as I filled my slots, my next extended rest or long break would be to go back to death and healing until I got to level 4 for more and better salvage and again at 6 and so forth.

(Edit to correct my statement of None of the 40 to be 6 of the 40).
I plan on printing up business card salvaged tech stuff. Just to make it easier to keep track of things. The original card goes back in the deck.
One nice thing I notice, none of the 40 GM Omega Tech cards are salvageable.

Uhhh, yeah they are. In fact a whole heap of them are...

One nice thing I notice, none of the 40 GM Omega Tech cards are salvageable.  I think this is where the collectability of the game comes into play.  ...,

That statement is wrong and misleading.  Anyone who has really seen the Gm deck, knows that there are loads of slavagable Omega Tech cards available in the Gm deck.  That statement lacks any credability for those who have the Gm deck.  Why do you feel the need to lie about the cards, either you have not seen them or you or just spreading false information?

The way we will play it is, Pc writes the slavage info on the Pc sheet and the card returns to the deck. 
One nice thing I notice, none of the 40 GM Omega Tech cards are salvageable.

Please don't come on here just to spout lies about a system you dislike. Clearly you haven't looked at the cards at all.

I stand corrected (and have fixed my original post to prevent someone from misreading what I had written), I was helping a buddy sort his cards and missed seeing these before I posted, so lets see what of the Core GM cards are salvageable

6 of 40 of them are, I would not say loads, or most, but the writers above are correct in that there is some salvage in the GM's deck.
From what I can see there are the following:

Level 2 Mk 1 Laser Pistol (Lt 1 handed ranged)
Level 2 Freeze Ray (light 2 handed ranged)
Level 3 Unstable Vibroblade (light 2 handed melee)
Level 2 Electro Flail (hvy 1 handed melee)
Level 2 Force Pike (hvy 2 handed melee)
Level 2 Mk 1 Power armor (heavy armor)

@sirkaikillah - you are correct I was wrong and sleep deprived. 
@chandrak, I love the system and the game, I just was wrong.  There we go.

Now I have nothing against the collectability concept and the fact there is salavage for 4-6 (and maybe even higher) I think encourages the collectable nature of the game and the fact that  better salavage is in the boosters is great.

But if you need light armor or shield or heavy ranged or neck or head or other slot items you will want to get your hands on the boosters.

Again as stated by many, they are not needed to play, but sure help make a light armor using character at the levels to have those cards that are salvagable.