10/28/2010 FtL: "The Build Around Contest Results!"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'm not sure what the interaction between Wild Evocation and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is.  Can someone enlighten me?  Is it just the fact that the opponent won't be able to respond to any card that is played by Wild Evocation but you can?
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
The Teferi trumps the Evocation.  During your opponent's upkeep, he reveals the card, and "casts it without paying its mana cost if able".  But it's not your opponent's main phase, so Teferi kicks in and says "Sorry, you're not able!  Better luck next turn!".
Weee. First place for Dragon Appeasement. I loved that deck. Gonna miss playing it in standard on MODO now that it's rotated. Felt good to be the only person on MODO using Dragon Appeasement, and winning mind you.
I like the Gather Specimens combo.  I wonder if there are any other good combos for that card?  Most cards that give your opponents creatures either do so sparingly, or else give them too much control.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
The Teferi trumps the Evocation.  During your opponent's upkeep, he reveals the card, and "casts it without paying its mana cost if able".  But it's not your opponent's main phase, so Teferi kicks in and says "Sorry, you're not able!  Better luck next turn!".

I see.  When I looked up Wild Evocation I saw that timing restrictions based on card type are ignored.  I looked again and noticed that additional timing restrictions are not.  After noticing that ruling, I definitely like that combo.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I was hoping that someone would be able to come up with a better Wild Evocations deck, but I guess some cards are just really that hard to make good.

I always wanted to say that the Fistful of Dollars deck might be the greatest thing I have ever witnessed. Awe-inspiring.
Honorable mention huh?  I'll take it!  Love the 'shopped Opportunist, hehe.
I was hoping that someone would be able to come up with a better Wild Evocations deck, but I guess some cards are just really that hard to make good.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st-place Wild Evocation deck here actually is pretty good. Between card draw and Liliana, it can reliably cast an Eldrazi on turn seven, and since it's truly cast and not just "put onto the battlefield" like with Polymorph, you get the "when you cast" trigger, which is the really big deal. Even if people have Brittle Effigy in their sideboard to deal with them, they still give you four cards or an extra turn.

I'd take out the second win condition or maybe put it in the sideboard. The deck could use more Eldrazi in case any get exiled and more removal and discard to make surviving for seven turns a bit easier. Blightning is the only reason the deck isn't Standard-legal, so someone could take those out and actually make this deck and try it out. Replace it with Memoricide, maybe, since you'll probably already know what's in their hand thanks to earlier discard spells. I might even use Viscera Seer; it can chump block and sacrifice itself or the specters to scry a bit deeper for your combo pieces.
Wild Evocation's art sure looks like a mutated badger in a hoodie. Pretty creepy.