10/27/2010 BoaB: "Building on an Affiliation"

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I really loved the Poison deck.  I have been running a similar one lately, excpet with Carrion Call and Overgrown Battlement.  I completely forgot about the Blight Mamba so testing it over the battlement is nice, though the mana and the defense was good going for the early kill seems betteer.  Same argument with the giant growths over carrion call.  The only thing i question is the teetering peaks...they seem slightly iffy both i might as well test them too.  So basically yeah im switching 9 cards in my deck to match yours and see which is better.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.

For the first deck, twelve cards that like counters, but no Proliferate?  Seems like something to at least consider, maybe a Contagion Clasp out of the sideboard vs. Green or something.

Incidentally, mono-black has got to be an awesome matchup for the Mirran Lux Cannon deck.  No artifact kill?  A game plan built around killing your creatures, when all you have are Trinket Mages and a couple Lighthouse Chronologists?

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
He was building a Mirran deck, and therefore couldn't use any cards with the Phyrexian watermark.  Stupid restriction, if you ask me, since it just eliminates a keyword which was designed with the Mirran stuff in mind, and then removes -1/-1 counters for the hell of it.

For the first deck, twelve cards that like counters, but no Proliferate?  Seems like something to at least consider, maybe a Contagion Clasp out of the sideboard vs. Green or something.

Too bad Contagion Clasp is Phyrexian-aligned, so he can't include it in a Mirran deck. 

I'm a power-hungry maniac so I understand the feelings of pain due to the 'restrictions' of choosing a faction.

So...where's the FLAVOR players??

I'm sure there are Phyrexian lovers out there just waiting to be heard:-)

My local store is having a Halloween special tournament. Your deck has to be mono-black. I came up with this poison brew:

4 Hand of the Praetors
4 Ichor Rats
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Necropede
4 Plague Stinger
2 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
------- 22 creatures

3 Adventuring Gear
4 Nighthaze
1 Rise from the Grave
4 Sign in Blood
3 Trusty Machete
------- 15 other spells

4 Bojuka Bog
1 Crypt of Agadeem
4 Marsh Flats
10 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
------- 23 lands

In a Swamps-only format, Nighthaze is great in a deck like this. I also made it so it's aligned with Phyrexia.
I've never done a Standard event before - or indeed, any Constructed. I don't  have the massive pool of cards to pull from, etc... are Game Days run such that it might be worth showing up with a legal but trashy deck and hoping to have some fun, or should I just sit it out?
Are you kidding me? The only watermarks I can search for are Mirran and Phyrexian??? Aren't there, like, 10 more? And what about cards given away as prizes?
@ keiyakins: I would always say to turn up and have a go. The promo is nice, and could well be worth the entry fee (depending on where you are playing). And that poison deck costs like nothing (its practically Pauper)...

I built almost an identical Poison deck last night and played some games. Turn 3 wins happened, as did turn 4 wins... and complete blowouts.

My version was slightly different, it had:

-4 Teetering Peaks (although I like the idea)
-4 Primal Bellow

+4 Prey's Vengeance (was originally Assault Strobe until I realised it was Mirran Embarassed)
+2 Canopy Cover
+2 Cystbearer

I found the first game went easy (they refused to trade to stop 1 Poison counter, so you pump to 10/10 and win) but second game was much harder (they know what is coming). And this deck totally dies to removal (although Vines/pump spells help). It needs more 2 drops (or some 1 drops) or more Haste. If I had the fetches I would splash black for Blackcleave Goblin I think. I never got to cast a Putrefax either (I either won on 3-4 lands or lost badly).

Very swingy, very extreme. I dont know how much fun this would be to play for a whole day. Maybe some sort of transformative sideboard could be used for the second game?

Oh and 1 card I do want to try with it is Livewire Lash. Thats just sick with all these pump spells....

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Are you kidding me? The only watermarks I can search for are Mirran and Phyrexian??? Aren't there, like, 10 more? And what about cards given away as prizes?

They already said that the ravnica guild watermarks will be added to gatherer on a later stage, they didn't do this right now because they first wanted to focus on the new set.
I'm fine with the restriction on watermarks since your deck is supposed to have a certain affiliation in order to get the promo cards.   But I would have a hard time with that since I have been using a Proliferate deck ever since the set came out.

As for the decks in the column, why is he only running only ONE Voltaic Key in the Mirran deck?  With Chimeric mass, Everflowing Chalice, and Lux Cannon I would be running two or three.  With Lux Cannon especially because you can get more counters on it then with just one.  Other than that, I liked both of the decks.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
At a recent FNM I played against a similar poison deck that used Livewire Lash.  Since the lash has the creature deal 2 damage whenever it's targeted it turns all the pump spells into an additional 2 poison counters.  It allowed him to go do some crazy stuff.  Also, plague stinger is really good in a deck like this.  The evasion is extremely important and there really aren't that many creatures with flying that see play in standard these days.
I really like the green poison deck and I'm going to try and scramble to get some of the pump spells to create it.

Oh and 1 card I do want to try with it is Livewire Lash. Thats just sick with all these pump spells....

~ Tim

Sorry but LL isn't Phyrexian.

I've been playing infect since day one and I haven't figured out how to win consistently.
Sure you might get a 3-5 turn win, but other games are just sad.
IMO, mono black is where it's at...especially with creature hate.
It wins faster than green (because everybody knows that mono green is just a pump-fest).
Black can kill off blokers so there's no need to play evasion cards like green needs to.
Black can pump with vampire's bite and virulent swipe.
Black can win you games by just dropping an infect creature once the Hand hits the ground.
Don't get me wrong.  I don't hate green.  It has crazy pump, but it's an uphill battle.
Currently, I'm trying to build a mono green infect that uses fog, tanglesap, and possibly Blight the assault to stall the game long enough to ramp some mana with harrow, and heart expedition.  With the mana out and just one infect critter, you should be able to swing and pump with primal bellow and activate your evasion...panic spellbomb.  It takes FOREVER to play, but it's effective...to a point.  I'm still tinkering with it.  I hope i can get a solid list made soon.

Too bad Contagion Clasp is Phyrexian-aligned, so he can't include it in a Mirran deck.

Good point.  It's easy (for me) to forget that such an open-ended mechanic is restricted in that way.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
For the poison lovers out there, I still think that Tainted Strike is criminally under-rated. That card can kill someone out of nowhere and NO ONE sees it coming.

I've been having a lot of fun/success (first is more important) with a Kiln Fiend tainted strike deck with the benefits of black and red removal and of course the glorious Assault Strobe. It's nasty.

Tainted Strike, people. Learn it. Play it. Love it.
For the poison lovers out there, I still think that Tainted Strike is criminally under-rated. That card can kill someone out of nowhere and NO ONE sees it coming.

I've been having a lot of fun/success (first is more important) with a Kiln Fiend tainted strike deck with the benefits of black and red removal and of course the glorious Assault Strobe. It's nasty.

I think I'll love it first, then move onto learning...and possibly playing it.
Removal FTW!

I think I'll love it first, then move onto learning...and possibly playing it.
Removal FTW!

Glad to find a kindred tainted soul. Here's the decklist I've been working with if you're interested, obviously tweak the hell out of it if you want.

4x Blackcleave Cliffs (I normally hate expensive duals but these are cheap now and soooo necessary)
10x Mountain
8x Swamp
4x Goblin Guide (expensive, but I already had a playset)
4x Kiln Fiend (what a champion)
4x Tainted Strike
4x Assault Strobe
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Burst Lightning
4x Duress
2x Doom Blade
2x Memoricide (take that Primeval Titan!)
2x Mark of Mutiny (killing someone with their a poisoned version of their own creature is soo soo funny)
2x Sign in Blood (the deck desperately needs card draw because you're supposed to gas out on turn 3 or 4, and this is the best I could think of).

The idea is 1st turn Duress or Goblin Guide to suck up any removal they're holding (which most people aren't even playing these days... Big Mistake). 

Turn two Kiln Fiend

Turn three: Bolt whatever's in the way, Assault Strobe and then Tainted Strike for I think 22 poison (overkill, I know).

Obviously if they kill the fiend you just set another one up and wait until they've tapped out while Blading/Bursting/Bolting whatever they put out. It's very easy to win with just pure damage as well if you don't draw the strike. Mark of Mutiny is also really nasty if they drop anything big.

Have fun.
Bull Rush = (R) +5/+0 until end of turn!

Here's the decklist I've been working with if you're interested, obviously tweak the hell out of it if you want...

The idea is 1st turn Duress or Goblin Guide to suck up any removal they're holding (which most people aren't even playing these days... Big Mistake). 

Turn two Kiln Fiend

Turn three: Bolt whatever's in the way, Assault Strobe and then Tainted Strike for I think 22 poison (overkill, I know).

Obviously if they kill the fiend you just set another one up and wait until they've tapped out while Blading/Bursting/Bolting whatever they put out. It's very easy to win with just pure damage as well if you don't draw the strike. Mark of Mutiny is also really nasty if they drop anything big.

Have fun.

A poison deck with only one source of infect? I'd take out the Tainted Strike and replace them with Plated Geopedes or something similar and just call this a BR aggro/control deck. You'll get the strikes so rarely (draw them, use them, on a Kiln Fiend, that's unblocked, etc.) that I find it hard to believe they would ever help much.

I don't know this from experience, but I'm pretty sure that in Constructed you really, really need to stick to either infect or non-infect damage. I think you'll be very frustrated some day when you deal 28 damage to the opponent and still lose because 19 of it was regular damage and 9 was poison counters.

I'm sure Tainted Strike could be good, just not in this deck so much. I've been thinking vaguely about a black/blue poison deck, using Tainted Strike and Grafted Exoskeleton to give infect to Æther Figment, Hada Spy Patrol, Neurok Invisimancer and/or other flying or islandwalk greatures. Blue would also be good for proliferate to finish them off if they manage to kill your creatures... maybe add Spreading Seas to enable islandwalk and slow them down...

As for the Phyrexian deck in the original article, I'm kind of surprised to see no mana Elves. Sure, this deck has an incredibly low mana curve, but if it wants to win on the third turn then an extra mana on that turn might make a difference. There are no turn one plays anyway, so why not add four Llanowar Elves (or Arbor) and give yourself a chance of playing two infectors on turn three instead of just one, or making it easier to kick that Vines of Vastwood, or whatever?

Here's the decklist I've been working with if you're interested, obviously tweak the hell out of it if you want...

Turn two Kiln Fiend

Have fun.

A poison deck with only one source of infect? I'd take out the Tainted Strike and replace them with Plated Geopedes or something similar and just call this a BR aggro/control deck. You'll get the strikes so rarely (draw them, use them, on a Kiln Fiend, that's unblocked, etc.) that I find it hard to believe they would ever help much.

I don't know this from experience, but I'm pretty sure that in Constructed you really, really need to stick to either infect or non-infect damage. I think you'll be very frustrated some day when you deal 28 damage to the opponent and still lose because 19 of it was regular damage and 9 was poison counters.

I'm sure Tainted Strike could be good, just not in this deck so much. I've been thinking vaguely about a black/blue poison deck, using Tainted Strike and Grafted Exoskeleton to give infect to Æther Figment, Hada Spy Patrol, Neurok Invisimancer and/or other flying or islandwalk greatures. Blue would also be good for proliferate to finish them off if they manage to kill your creatures... maybe add Spreading Seas to enable islandwalk and slow them down...

I did consider the Geopedes, but the deck has no use for Fetchlands and the combination of 4x Guide 4x Fiend is all we really need for creatures. I much prefer to draw into burn than a late game Geopede.

The point of Tainted Strike being in the deck is very much for fun, I know it's not that practical, but in splashing for black we get Duress and Doom Blade which on top of Red burn gives the deck so much removal that an unblocked Kiln Fiend is not at all a stretch. The idea behind the deck is to be versatile, if you have Tainted Strike, you poison, if you don't, two burn spells and an assault strobe still deals twenty damage. It plays very much like a combo deck. You do not attack unless you are holding lethal in poison or straight damage.

I only draw the strike in about 30% of games, but the deck can still win on turn three without it. 

@ keiyakins: I would always say to turn up and have a go. The promo is nice, and could well be worth the entry fee (depending on where you are playing). And that poison deck costs like nothing (its practically Pauper)...

I pretty much have  to build with what I have, though, because it's a major trek to a game store... one I can only really undertake for events. I guess I could scrape together something to prop up my Myr Battlesphere... but I don't have fourofs of practically anything, etc, and in Constructed I've been told that's basicaly the same as walking in with a deck wth no mana production.
Working on a decent sideboard for PhyrexianJake van Lunen's Poison.deck

Nominated so far:

2 Bellowing Tanglewurm
1 Contagion Engine
2 Contagion Clasp
2 Plummet
2 Nature's Claim
2 Explore
3 Obstinate Baloth
3 Mitotic Slime

Some removal (hard in green), some stalls, a very little evasion alas (even harder in green).

Need to cut a little and I probably overlooked some very good options.

thoughts, tips or trics anyone?
I don't have fourofs of practically anything, etc, and in Constructed I've been told that's basicaly the same as walking in with a deck wth no mana production.

Not having four-ofs will make your deck less predictable, which could be good since it might throw your opponent off. Plus games will be more varied and potentially more fun as a result.

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I pretty much have  to build with what I have, though, because it's a major trek to a game store... one I can only really undertake for events. I guess I could scrape together something to prop up my Myr Battlesphere... but I don't have fourofs of practically anything, etc, and in Constructed I've been told that's basicaly the same as walking in with a deck wth no mana production.

Not at all. It varies a lot depending on what kind of deck you're talking about. Check out a The Week That Was article some time, or Top Decks, or similar tournament coverage and you'll see lots of decks with only one or two copies of important cards.

Sure, it's true that some decks (monored decks, for example) need speed and consistency and don't need variety and don't have any way to control their draws, they just win by damage, so they generally take the nine or 10 best cards in the format for whatever it is they're trying to do and take four copies of each. But lots more decks want more options than they can get from just nine or 10 cards, so they put in one or two copies of some cards. And these decks often have extra card draw somehow, or tutoring of some kind, so they still have a very good chance of getting cards from their toolbox.

For example, I'm going to a tournament tonight with a deck based on the vampire deck here: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a..., but with a few differences. I haven't been able to test it against someone else yet, but from what I've read, the following cards are essential to the deck's strategy: Bloodghast, and Bloodthrone Vampire and/or Viscera Seer, and Blade of the Bloodchief and/or Kalastria Highborn. There are a lot of other cards I know I'd be happy to draw at any time considering what this deck is like (Doom Blade, etc.), but there isn't room for four copies of each, so I'm playing with four copies of the "essential" cards and two or three of most of the rest.

And of course, I suggested checking out tournament reports, but really, that only matters for best-of-the-best stuff. I don't know where you live but at my local store there are a few people who play decks copied from tournament reports and probably could compete in them, half a dozen people who play decks with some cards from tournament reports but some twists of their own and don't follow the metagame nearly so closely, and half a dozen people playing completely random decks you'd never see at a tournament like WUG Allies or Runeflare Trap. And competence ranges all over the place. You don't need a perfectly tuned deck to go and have fun. So if you want to go, you don't have to stay home just because you don't have four copies of every card.

Some removal (hard in green), some stalls, a very little evasion alas (even harder in green).

Obstinate Baloth seems not nearly so important now that Jund is gone. (Discard exists, but very little that allows you a choice of what you discard.) As for removal, Brittle Effigy is the best option in monogreen. Van Lunen's deck did use Teetering Peaks, so you could splash a tiny bit of red removal or Assault Strobe. Personally, instead of that, I'd remove the Peaks and add black to Van Lunen's deck for more infect options (Plague Stinger comes with evasion built in), and that would let you add removal like Doom Blade.
I kinda like the monogreen idea. I always play black, so it will be a surprise.deck for 90% of my opponents.

Put the Baloth in for the lifegain (and it being a 4/4 o.c.). Brittle Effigy is an awesome option, albeit that the activation cost doesn't sit well with the theme of the deck (speed). I will very much work on incorporating the Strobe, tho. Thanks a lot!

Nominated so far:

2 Bellowing Tanglewurm
1 Contagion Engine
2 Contagion Clasp
2 Plummet
2 Nature's Claim
2 Explore
3 Obstinate Baloth
3 Mitotic Slime

That seems pretty solid, although I'm not sure about the Contagion Engine/Clasps. It feels strange to say that, but I would think the better approach would be for creature based poison rather than the slow task of a counter a turn. I feel that creature speed and "getting in there" is paramount, so I'm going with different "budget" sideboard.

4 Nature's Claim (better than Naturalize in a deck that doesn't care about life totals)
4 Autumn's Veil (against Doom Blades and Control primarily, perhaps the B/G mirror?)
2 Canopy Cover (swapped out 2 Forrests for 2 main deck Canopy Cover, works wonders)
1 Primal Bellow (took one out for an 3rd Cystbearer main deck)
4 Hornet Sting (for the mirror, would rather have 4 Brittle Effigy but I don't own any)

I find the mulligan to be really demanding in this deck, and perhaps it's biggest weakness. If you start out with 5 cards on the play you're pretty screwed if you can't hit for 10 turn 3 (or 4). Often hands were mana flooded, or had all of one spell type or the other (4 creatures and 3 land, or 4 Giant Growths and 3 land).

That seems pretty solid, although I'm not sure about the Contagion Engine/Clasps. It feels strange to say that, but I would think the better approach would be for creature based poison rather than the slow task of a counter a turn. I feel that creature speed and "getting in there" is paramount, so I'm going with different "budget" sideboard.

4 Nature's Claim (better than Naturalize in a deck that doesn't care about life totals)
4 Autumn's Veil (against Doom Blades and Control primarily, perhaps the B/G mirror?)
2 Canopy Cover (swapped out 2 Forrests for 2 main deck Canopy Cover, works wonders)
1 Primal Bellow (took one out for an 3rd Cystbearer main deck)
4 Hornet Sting (for the mirror, would rather have 4 Brittle Effigy but I don't own any)

I agree with your choice of sideboard cards but I do think that Contagion Engine should be considered since it can act as a board wiper and ensure that you do get 10 poison on the opponent.  You may not be able to get there with just creatures and pump spells.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I realize these aren't very budget, but i ran these two decks.

One budget recommendation i do have for the infect deck is trusty machette, it gives you a 1 drop and the ability to pump consistent for 2 mana on one turn.

The store I went to ran 2 game days, so i used one of these for each, very small ones, only 9 people . . .
Sign In to post comments