Rules for grenades?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I love GW, but the weapon system seems somewhat over-simplified. Anyone have any house rules for things like dynamite, frag grenades, rocket launchers, etc? Not omega tech... but just the regular stuff. Cool
It would prettymuch have to be Omega tech to fit in the system.  Though a rocket launcher /could/ be a 2-handed heavy gun, I suppose. 

I guess you could add to the weapons table:

Consumable Weapons:
Weapon                      DC to Throw  Base range  Burst  Attack   Hit
Molotov Cocktail                  15                5               1    +3+lvl     1d8+lvl fire + ongoing 3/fire (s.e.) 
Frag grenade                      10               10              3    +6+lvl     2d10+lvl physical
Incendiary grenade             12              10               2    +5+lvl     2d6+lvl fire + ongoing 5/fire (s.e.) 
Dynamite/TNT                      15                5               3    +4+lvl     4d6 physical & sonic
Concussion Grenade           12              10               2    +5+lvl     4d6 physical & sonic
Damage Pack/IED                20                5               5    +6+lvl     8d6 physical & sonic

A consumable weapon, once used, is gone.  When you use a consumable weapon, make an Athletic check to throw it.  If you fail it falls short.  If you succed you can optionally loft it an additional square per 2 points you beat the DC by. 

(Yeah, these are unrealistic, you can throw a grenade farther than 50' and they can kill or injure a lot farther out than 15' this is just off the cuff, to be game-useable.)

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

A friend of mine wanted granades. I just told him to use a heavy one-handed gun. it worked well enough.

A rocket launcher could easily be a heavy two-handed gun.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
I guess the fun thing about grenades is the scatter if it misses. Where does the boom go?

If you have d20 Modern or access to it, see if that has rules you can manipulate to your needs.
Thanks for the responses. Tony, with your's in mind I am set to tweak the weapons system just a bit, starting with grenade-type weapons. Who knows though, maybe such things will be addressed in one of the upcoming supplements.
Who knows though, maybe such things will be addressed in one of the upcoming supplements.

This is why I'm not rushing to add things.

Famine in Far-Go will be available in 2 weeks.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
It would prettymuch have to be Omega tech to fit in the system.  Though a rocket launcher /could/ be a 2-handed heavy gun, I suppose. 

I guess you could add to the weapons table:

Consumable Weapons:
Weapon                      DC to Throw  Base range  Burst  Attack   Hit
Molotov Cocktail                  15                5               1    +3+lvl     1d8+lvl fire + ongoing 3/fire (s.e.) 
Frag grenade                      10               10              3    +6+lvl     2d10+lvl physical
Incendiary grenade             12              10               2    +5+lvl     2d6+lvl fire + ongoing 5/fire (s.e.) 
Dynamite/TNT                      15                5               3    +4+lvl     4d6 physical & sonic
Concussion Grenade           12              10               2    +5+lvl     4d6 physical & sonic
Damage Pack/IED                20                5               5    +6+lvl     8d6 physical & sonic

A consumable weapon, once used, is gone.  When you use a consumable weapon, make an Athletic check to throw it.  If you fail it falls short.  If you succed you can optionally loft it an additional square per 2 points you beat the DC by. 

(Yeah, these are unrealistic, you can throw a grenade farther than 50' and they can kill or injure a lot farther out than 15' this is just off the cuff, to be game-useable.)

Have used your stats (modified to suit my game) in the creation of cards.

They can be found here:
www.godeckyourself.com/core/card/card-li...

I also modified your rules too ... I'll post them here if you want so you can compare.

GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)
Cool.  The problem I had was that the super-powerful Omega Tech grenades that were 'perfectly balanced for throwing' actually had pitiful ranges and areas compared to RL grenades.  Soldiers are expected to throw grenades at least 30yds (18 D&D squares), or even 40m (over 20 sqs), and modern frag grenades that are designed to minimize the radius of fragmentation are deadly out to 15yds, with WWI era versions often having a danger radius that matched or exceeded the distance they could be thrown.  Grenades are not to be triffled with, aparently.

Though, a very high-tech grenade having a small radius makes sense:  a small radius makes a grenade more useful in offensive operations, since it's less likely to harm the thrower or his buddies, even if they can't take cover immediately. 

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Easy Option for 4E Grenades and Large Weapons:

Amethyst 4E. That is all.
There are Omega Tech grenades (Dream Grenade) why not just use those rules? Unless you want scatter and bouncing of missed attacks...
There are Omega Tech grenades (Dream Grenade) why not just use those rules? Unless you want scatter and bouncing of missed attacks...

How far di they go?

GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045

How far di they go?

Weapon: 1-hand weapon; Power: Consumable: Standard action, Area burst 1 within 10; Target: Each creature in burst; Attack: Level +6 vs. Fortitude; Hit: The target falls unconscious (save ends); Miss: The target is dazed until the end of your next turn.; Effect: Roll a d20.  On a 4 or less, the burst is larger than you anticipated, and the dream grenade instead target each creature in an area burst 10 using the same origin square.
Cool.  The problem I had was that the super-powerful Omega Tech grenades that were 'perfectly balanced for throwing' actually had pitiful ranges and areas compared to RL grenades.

You bring this up, but no discussion of the ranges for firearms?
The longest range gun in the game has a range of 20... which is far less than a bow in D&D. In GW, the same bow has a range of 10.

The key point here is not realism, but gamism. It works for the game, and that's what matters.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Technically, grenades are light-ranged, one-handed weapons which mean they have a range of 5. I would rule this:

Any mundane grenade (not Omega Tech) is a light-ranged, one-handed weapon with an area burst 1. I would also treat it as consumable since you can't retrieve it after it's gone off.

Firearm ranges are simple as well. The weapons in Gamma World are generic which means that any firearm that is not Omega Tech simply follows the rules in the weapons table. No rocket science behind it. Just because there isn't an AK-47 assault rifle listed doesn't mean that you can't use one in the game. You name your mundane weapon an AK-47 and use the stats for a light-ranged, 2-handed gun. Simple as that.
Easy Option for 4E Grenades and Large Weapons:

Amethyst 4E. That is all.

I'll throw in my vote for this...obviously.

To back up that claim, I'll boast that Amethyst's explosive rules were tested and verified by a member of the Department of Defense Explosive Ordinance Demolition team. 

Yes. 

Seriously. 

We took our current rules and modeled them on actual advice offered.  Now we have over a dozen different grenades and explosives with rules on directing blasts, wiring explosives, and sympathetic explosives.

It's one of the elements of the game I am most proud of.
It would be awesome if I had a copy but the ruling I gave is within the rules presented in the Gamma World rule book.
Well, except for the burst.  I mean, you could class a grenade as a one-handed ranged weapon, but it wouldn't be any different from a spear or iron or dart or whatever the next mutant's one-handed ranged weapon was. 

Granades are two handed. Only a NUT would want to have a grenade that you could activate causually.

*BOOM*
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Granades are two handed. Only a NUT would want to have a grenade that you could activate causually.

*BOOM*

Put pin in mouth between teeth ....
Pin pin and spit to the ground ....
Throw grenade, watching where it lands ....
Duck behind cover ....

BOOM

Look at result of blast ....

Nowhere in that example did I see 2 hands being used .... only 1 hand I believe

so therefore ....

Grenades can be 1 handed weapons!

The whole pulling the pin with your teeth thing is a Hollywood myth.  Not that that should stop your Mutant from pulling a pin with his teeth.

Well, since it's mutants we're talking about, they could pull the pin with their tusk, with their 4th tentacle, or their horns... ;)
if they want grenades just tell them to open more boosters. there has to be at least 2 grenades in this set.
I think they're talking about mundane grenades, not omega tech grenades.

Personally, a grenade is a light-ranged, one-handed weapon for my games. I'm looking at d20 modern, Spycraft, Traveller T20, and a few other sources for how they handled grenades. Amythist is on my list as well, I just have to find some place that actually sells it.

Until I get home-brew rules, I'm going to work within the rules and go with the LROH for a grenade. Though I might make it an area 1 within 5 + Strength mod LROH that targets each creature in the area...
well take dream grenades and tone it down a bit, add damage...

light ranged consumable- ability-- accuracy damage ---------range 
one handed-------------------dex/int----+0--------1d6------burst 1 within 5 squares 

and this is a game where people mutate so i think it's ok if they can use their teeth.
I plan on introducing grenades.  Since items are lying around from an infinite number of possible universes, there won't be any rhyme or reason between what the grenade looks like and what it does.  They may find a perfectly round grenade that they think is a tactical frag grenade but is actually a gas grenade.  They might be able to descern what some grenades do in advance, but I think I'm going to have a random table and if they don't know when they throw it, they roll when it detonates.
Personally, a grenade is a light-ranged, one-handed weapon for my games.

Those are weapons that use readily available ammo, though.  Not the GW isn't more than a bit odd, but wouldn't it be a bit odd for grenades to be more commonplace than bullets?  Maybe making a grenade an alternate 'gun' would make more sense.  That way, though you could have a one-encounter grenade-throwing fest, you'd run out of grenades if you ever throw two or more in an encounter.

I plan on introducing grenades.  Since items are lying around from an infinite number of possible universes, there won't be any rhyme or reason between what the grenade looks like and what it does.  They may find a perfectly round grenade that they think is a tactical frag grenade but is actually a gas grenade.  They might be able to descern what some grenades do in advance, but I think I'm going to have a random table and if they don't know when they throw it, they roll when it detonates.

Hmm, I like this idea. I may steal it and add a special subset to my expanded Ancient Junk table that includes innocuous or high-tech looking items that are actually a random kind of bomb :P

Hmm, I like this idea. I may steal it and add a special subset to my expanded Ancient Junk table that includes innocuous or high-tech looking items that are actually a random kind of bomb :P

I figured random grenades that you don't know the effect of is in keeping with the randomness of the game in general.  I like the idea of finding non-bomb looking bombs because they're from an alternate time line.  I may use that as well.  I especially like the idea of adding it to the ancient junk table.  Thanks!

It's got a pin... 

This ancient item looks like it's designed to be thrown after pulling a pin (or something similar).  You'll never know until you try.

Consumable
Standard Action      Area:  burst ?  w/in 10
Effect:  Roll on the table below:

1. 20th century 'defensive' fragmentation grenade:  burst 5,  level+5 vs REF, 1d12 +lvl physical damage, also attacks out side of the burst 5, out to burst 10, -4 to attack, do not add level to damage.

2. 21st century 'offensive' frag grenade:   burst 3,  level+5 vs REF, 1d12 +lvl physical damage.

3. Concussion grenade:  Burst 2, level+4 vs FORT, 4d6 physical & sonic damage.

4. WP 'Smoke' grenade:   Burst 2, level +3 vs REF, 1d6 fire damage, plus ongoing 3/fire (save ends).  Effect:  creates a heavily-obsucred zone of random-colored smoke expands 1/round to Burst 10, last 5 minutes in still air, 1 min (and may be distorted into a Blast shape) under windy conditions.

5. Illumination grenade:  Burst 1, level +3 vs REF, 1d6 fire damage, plus ongoing 3/fire (save ends).  Creates bright illumination in a Burst 10 for 1 minute.

6. Live Training Grenade:  Burst 1, level +1 vs fort, 1d6 sonic damage.

7. Panic Screamer:  Creates a zone for 1 minue in a burst 5 that does ongoing 3/sonic to any creature that stays in the zone.  Can be heard without a perception check even a mile away.

8. Flash-Bang grenade:  Burst 3, level+4 vs FORT & REF, hit (ref): blinded (save ends), hit (fort):  1d6 sonic damage and deafened (save ends).  hit (both): dazed (Save ends all).

9. Sting Grenade:  burst 3,  level+5 vs REF, 3d4 +lvl physical damage, and dazed until the end of next turn.  This damage only affects living creatures, and any creature regenerates 2 until it has recovered from the damage.

10. Tear Gas Grenade:  Burst as smoke grenade, zone lightly obcsures, plus, any creature starting it's turn in the zone is attacked:  level+3 vs FORT, blinded & dazed (save ends).

11. Poison Gas Grenade:  Burst as smoke grenade, zone lightly obscures, plus any creature in the zone takes ongoing 5 poison damage and is attacked:  level+4 vs FORT, 1d10+lvl poison damage and dazed (save ends).  Creatures that have taken poison damage and leave the area of the grenade have ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).

12. Frangible Incindiary:  Burst 1, level+2 vs REF, 2d6 +lvl fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire (save ends).

13. Emergency Beacon:  Emits bright red light in a burst 10 for 1 hr, and a radio signal that attracts robotic units and can be clearly heard on any radio reciever for up to 1d12 days.

14. Armotherapy Relaxer:  Creates a zone 5 of pleasant scents and soft, soothing music for 15 minutes.  Includes active noise cancellation that gives all creatures in the burst resist 5 sonic.

15. Table lighter:  produces a small flame, may ignite flamables in the same square.

16. Military grenade (roll 1d6)

17. 'Less Lethal' grenade (roll 1d4+6)

18. Slow fuse:  Roll again next round.

19. Slow fuse:  Roll again in 1d3 rounds.

20. Dud.

@Tony_Vargas - Consider that 100% stolen!
The whole pulling the pin with your teeth thing is a Hollywood myth.  Not that that should stop your Mutant from pulling a pin with his teeth.

Hollywood ... yes ... but still possible which would still allow grenades to be used 1 handed which was the point of the post / reply.