The Anointed Knight - A Half Elf Knight/Anointed Champion/Ceaseless Guardian

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Anointed Knight.

The Anointed Knight is a setting neutral, item neutral Half Elf Knight who focuses on neutering an enemies ability to deal damage. This is accomplished in 2 ways.

Firstly: Half elf dilettante of Sonnlinor's Hammer. -charisma to the targets next damage roll. (1/enc at level 10, at-will from level 11 onwards)
Secondly: The Anointed Knight's Level 16 feature which allows all of his divine attacks to grant himself or an ally his charisma mod in temporary hit points.

Defender Goodies.

Level 1: Defend the Line Stance - Slow enemies you hit with an MBA
Level 6: World Serpent's Grasp - Knock prone Slowed/Immobilized Enemies
Level 11: Hammer Shock - Gives enemies -2 to hit (stacks with your aura)
Level 11: Versatile Master: Sonnlinor's Hammer - Replaces your MBA with an at will that gives an enemy -charisma modifer to its next damage roll.
Level 12: CA vs Slowed/Immobilized Enemies
Level 12: Gain the abilty to grant an ally a save, or the ability to spend a surge. With bonuses.
Level 14: Reserve Maneuver to pick up "Come and get it" Not for the attack, but for pulling enemies in to your aura. At this stage you'll want to swap whatever you're using in your armbands slot to the Mental Might
Level 16: When hitting an enemy with Sonnlinor's Hammer, you get to give youself or your ally your charisma modifer in temp hp
Level 16: Ubiquitous Shield to negate the attack bonus enemies have from getting CA on you, given your preference to be surrounded, this should be quite useful.
Level 20: Annointed Army's Encounter Long effect to give allies +4 to all defenses, and +2 attack/damage
Level 21: Overwhelming Impact and Superior Will - Dazing instead of slowing is always fun (since you slow with every hit in Defend the Line stance), and rolling against stun/daze at the start of your turn is a definite bonus.
Level 22-26: Epic NAD feats.
Level 24: Ability to use Immediates/OAs while dazed/stunned. Great for your mark punishment.

The Build

Half-Elf, Knight, Anointed Champion, Ceaseless Guardian
Anointed Regalia: Anointed Holy Symbol
Guardian Mindfulness: Guardian Mindfulness Charisma

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 22, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 30.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 18.

AC: 48 Fort: 48 Reflex: 45 Will: 51
HP: 211 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 52

FEATS
Free: Shield Finesse (Knight)
Level 1: Melee Training (Charisma) (retrained to Versatile Master at Level 11)
Level 2: Bludegon Expertise
Level 4: Improved Defenses)
Level 6: World Serpent's Grasp (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 22)
Level 8: Improved Initiative (retrained to Danger Sense at Level 12)
Level 10: Adept Dilettante
Level 11: Hammer Shock
Level 12: Vicious Advantage (retrained to Overwhelming Impact at Level 21)
Level 14: Reserve Maneuver
Level 16: Ubiquitous Shield
Level 18: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 20: Weapon Focus (Hammer)
Level 21: Superior Will
Level 22: Epic Reflexes
Level 24: Epic Fortitude
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Weapon Proficiency (Craghammer)
Level 30: Striking Resurgence

POWERS
Dilettante: Sonnlinor's Hammer
Knight Stance 1: Defend the Line
Knight Stance 1: Poised Assault
Knight utility 2: Pass Forward
Knight utility 6: Glowering Threat
Knight Stance 7: Hammer Hands
Knight Utility 8: Shield Block
Knight utility 10: Clearheaded
Knight utility 16: Bolstering Stride
Knight Stance 17: Cleaving Assault
Knight utility 22: Knight's Valor

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Steadfast Amulet +6, Feyslaughter Craghammer +6, Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Fey Warrior's Boots (epic tier), Holy Symbol, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), Bracers of Mental Might (heroic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Dwarven Godplate Armor +6, Ring of Tenacious Will (epic tier)

**As with all builds on the forum, feel free to switch up anything in the build to suit your own needs. Taking superior will earlier, not upgrading to the craghammer etc, it is your character, this build is just the framework of a Charisma based knight with Sonnlinor's hammer and the Anointed Champion paragon path. Customise it to your hearts content.

Thanks to the irc folks for helping form and tweak the build.

Minor Updates 2:

Early on in the Knight's career you can take the Bracers of Mighty Striking, which will help the 'half charisma' damage you get from Melee Training. Sometime in paragon, you should switch to the Bracers of Mental Might to make your Reserve Maneuvered Come and Get It actually able to hit.

There's also the option of retraining Reserve Manuever to Martial Cross Training at level 23. This would allow you to take Warrior's Urging to use with the Bracers of Mental Might, at the cost of one use of power strike.

If you want to keep the +item bonus to damage, you can take a Radiant weapon instead, at the cost of the feyslaughter weapon, which keeps teleporters in your aura.

Minor updates:

Changed the feat order a little, dropped Superior Fortitude and Reflexes. If you still wanted to take them, drop either the Craghammer Proficiency or Striking resurgence feats and reorder as you feel is necessary.

Also switched from Martial Supremacy as the level 22 encounter to Knight's Valor. With the option of going for Instant Getaway if you would prefer the minor action saves vs Immobilize and the Restrained condition.

It should also be noted that the build works similarly with just the standard suite of a +6 warhammer/craghammer, a +6 set of armor, a +6 neck piece and a Heavy Shield. The equipment chosen in the example build is just one idea. You are free to alter the selection to suit your own tastes.

The Shield of Fellowship for example is a simple way to boost the temp hp you can give an ally, the Hammer Shield is a nice way to boost your defenses. I simply preferred the always on extra damage offered by the Bracers of Mighty Striking.
Yay, first post is mine!

I've looked through it, and frankly, this build is rock-solid. Anointed Knight has a wonderful synergy with the Knight, and Sonnilor's Hammer is hot sauce on this build.
Solid build, I prefer getting Superior Will sooner (saving vs. Daze/Stun is win), but that's a minor nitpick
Very nice build. I've always been a fan of anointed knight from 3rd edition.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

While I already said this in IRC, I'm going to repeat it here for the sake of discussion or consideration, should any people feel that either of those are appropriate responses:

When I'm looking at builds, and determining whether or not they're name- or post- worthy, I look at these things...

1. name-worthy? Does the build have clearly defining characteristics, which make it easy to identify? This one certainly does. Using Sonnlinor's Hammer as a platform for debuff optimization is great, and gives the build some very nice utility in skill challenges, by opening up the option of being a party face.

2. post-worthy? Does the build perform at a high enough level that viewers may have a reason to select it over 'any build off the street', or even other optimized builds? Again, this one does. It is a fantastic debuff machine (accuracy penalties, damage penalties, slow, prone-- all in one attack), has great defenses, has value outside of combat, etc. The only hole is ranged attack ability.

3. post-worthy? Does it look fun and satisfying to play? This is a bit subjective, but for me, the answer is 'YES!'.

4. post-worthy? After answering Question 1, one of the things I always want to look at is, can the build do it's 'special thing' more than once? I know others may not agree, but to me, you want to be able to hit that Big Red Button at least twice. In the case of this build, the Big Red Button is the MBA + Defend the Line, and it can do that all day long. 'Come & Get It' is like putting a sunroof on this Ferrari.

Absolutely fantastic build. Great presentation...

my only gripe is that you really should have used the title line I suggested Splash apparently works well.
For some extra benifit if you have the cash, pick up a Hammer shield (level 8 item)

Property: When you hit an enemy with an attack power using a hammer while wielding this shield, you gain a +1 bonus to all defenses until the start of your next turn.

I've used it in my version of the half-elf knight... so far so good...
For some extra benifit if you have the cash, pick up a Hammer shield (level 8 item)

remember, though, that despite what the CB says, magic shields take up your arms slot, and thus are incompatible with magic armbands (mighty striking or otherwise).
This is a great build.  I really like that you are using Sonnilnor's Hammer instead of Eldtrich Strike. 

I think the only thing I would suggest is switching out some of the utility powers for ones that let you make saving throws or ignore impairing effects.  Heck, if you wanted, you could even pick up acolyte power to get something clericy, like word of vigor  (cb1 spend a healing surge +2d6).
Thanks for the feedback. ;)

I've made a few changes to the build, nothing major. It's all in the first post.
Added to the Ultimate Defenders.  Certainly one of the best line defenders we've seen.
This build has been added to the Hall of Heroes.
OK, love the build and I'd love to play it... As I've tried entering it into the CB I think I've noticed that you can't retrain a heroic feat into a paragon feat.  Is this a bug in CB or... oops nm, on page 28 of the PH it clearly states that you can retrain lower tier feats with upper tier ones, the new CB just won't let me take versatile master... 
The new web CB allowed me to take it.  Just checking, are you sure you selected half-elf for your race?  The CB doesn't even show you feats you don't qualify for.
Yup, selected half-elf.  I can take it as an 11th level or higher feat, when I select melee training and try to retrain it, the only feats that come up on the search string veratile are martial versatility and versatile expertise. =(

In fact it doesn't seem like any paragon feats are options.
Been wasting my entire day trying to create a certain "knight". Looking at Palladin+Assassin. Now I found the topic Black Knight and the Anointed Knight. Great builds too push me in the right direction
Come and get it no longer works as intended due to the update in www.wizards.com/dnd/files/CC_Fighter_Add... 
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of taking Sonnlinor's Hammer. Well, I do understand the hefty damage penalty it will grant with this build's high CHA score, but with it's WIS so low, how often will the attack even hit to be effective?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of taking Sonnlinor's Hammer. Well, I do understand the hefty damage penalty it will grant with this build's high CHA score, but with it's WIS so low, how often will the attack even hit to be effective?

Adept Dilettante makes it use CHA for attacka and damage.
Adept Dilletante allows him to use the highest of CON, CHA or WIS for attack and damage of Sonnlinor' s Hammer.
Oh! Okay. That makes sense now. Why not take that feat sooner, though?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
Oh! Okay. That makes sense now. Why not take that feat sooner, though?

Because until 11th level it is only a 1/encounter ability anyway.
I'm a little lost on how you're getting access to Annointed Champion. You're a knight, that PP has a prereq of cleric, and I don't see an MC feat that gives you cleric. What am I missing?
Versatile Master counts as a multiclass feat into the class you took your at-will from
Really? Where does it say that? I must be missing something, because this is all I see in Compendium.

Versatile Master

Paragon Tier
Prerequisite: 11th level, half-elf
Benefit: You can use the power you chose through your Dilettante racial trait as an at-will power.
    If you choose the paragon multiclassing option, you can choose powers at 11th level, 12th level, and 20th level from any class, instead of only from your second class. You can also spend an action point to regain the use of an encounter attack power that you have already used during this encounter, instead of taking an extra action.

I'm sure you're right, but I'm still missing why you're right.
Aha!

Versatile Master does no such thing. Adept Dilettante, however, does exactly that. Sorry for being so slow.
Was building this character earlier this evening and encountered a "heavy load" issue with such a low STR score. Plate armor, a craghammer, adventurer's kit, and climber's kit exceeded the encumberance limit of the character, and I hadn't even gotten to a shield yet! Any way around this limitation other than houseruling or ignoring encumberance entirely?
Just wanna say that this build is awesome. My wife played it at level 11 yesterday (her first defender), and once she got to something, there was no way they'd risk attacking someone else. At one point our bard teleported her between 2 driders, and she hardly took damage as we focus-fired them down. The rogue having WSG as well turned in to pure lockdown.

The best part of the game was when she knocked drider #2 prone, immobilized it, and I dazed it next turn as it sat in my Wall of Fire.

Getting to enemies at the start of combat could be problematic at times, but it makes the build challenging while still being awesome. Thanks for coming up with something so fun!
If you can spare the feat, Martial Flexibility will let you swap out the 16th or 22nd level utility powers for what you want. Martial Supremacy seems worth the feat.
Am I right in figuring that this PC is a bit sub-optimized before 11th level?   His dillidante power doesn't kick in until then as an MBA, so he is relying on Melee Training till then which means his To Hit is fine but his damage is lower than it should be.   I guess damage isn't his main raison de etre but still...

Reason I ask is I'm making a 7th level knight right now and was wondering if this is worth trying out - especially considering I'll probably only play him from 7th to 10th.  My other option would be to make a hammer wielder in a similar vein, but I do like the Charisma based character bluff and intimidate.

Any comments?
Actually, this build starts to be very specific only at paragonic.
In herioic tier, it relies on typical Knight mechanics. It means that you don't need to be CHA-based at all to play it from 7th to 10th.
But if you really really really wanna be CHA-based, pick Tiefling anc MC paladin to get Wrath of the Crimson Legion. And here you are !
Try to find other feats or items that rely on charisma to make it usefull.
Hi all! I think this is a great build, however I would like it fleshed out a bit in terms of encounter and daily powers taken per level. Also what skills did you train? Can you include this?
This is a knight, you get neither encounters NOR dailies.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
You're right, sorry about that I'm new to 4e, I got confuzzled.

So looking into this build and noticed that Come and Get for the Combat Reserve feat doesn't work the same. Is it worth it to keep it since it is a strength based attack or is there something better to take?

Minor Updates 2:

Early on in the Knight's career you can take the Bracers of Mighty Striking, which will help the 'half charisma' damage you get from Melee Training. Sometime in paragon, you should switch to the Bracers of Mental Might to make your Reserve Maneuvered Come and Get It actually able to hit.

There's also the option of retraining Reserve Manuever to Martial Cross Training at level 23. This would allow you to take Warrior's Urging to use with the Bracers of Mental Might, at the cost of one use of power strike.

If you want to keep the +item bonus to damage, you can take a Radiant weapon instead, at the cost of the feyslaughter weapon, which keeps teleporters in your aura.

This has been updated in the first post.
I really enjoy this build, and thanks so much for updating this build to keep it current! That's something that is done inconsistently at best sometimes and it's great to see.

Question: is it important to take improved defenses as early as you took it? Typically I wouldn't until late Heroic tier. EDIT: also, is there a reason craghammer comes so very late in his career? it doesn't really seem worth it at that point.

J
Perhaps im being very dim but I dont understand how this build hits anything?

Sonnilor's Hammer hitting is based off wisdom, not charisma according to the dragon article and compendium? What am i missing?
Adept Dilettante-Lets you use CON, WIS or CHA for your Dilettante power.
Ah cool, had no idea, thanks very much.
I just wanted to say thanks for such an interesting build.  I'm super excited to test it out this week, although she's only going to be level 5.  Still, looks like she'll be a great defender.
I know that this is a dead thread, but wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this build. Also, for anyone joining the game late for 4ED, I made a few changes you may consider. However, since this build was created for a short, level 30 god-fighting brawl, instead of a campaign, the feats are out of order. Instead of a hammer, I went with a rapier. I simply like the feat support much better, and my accuracy is insane. Since the OP's snapshot doesn't show the +hit +dam stats, I can't compare them, but my finished build is, assuming CA, +41 vs Reflex and 2d8+28 untyped damage. I've never liked WSG as a feat until this build. But, there's a ton of epic tier gear that lets you use your Immediate Action to prone the target. Also, I don't love Overwhelming Impact as much as others, since most dangerous enemies at 30 can just shake off a daze.

You'll see that my NADs are a little lower than the original. My AC also appears to be lower, but is actually two higher while not bloodied, due to Agile Armor (plus my speed is 7). I like the Superior Will, Fort, Ref route, for 1st round CA, resist OG dam, and, coupled with Disciple of Freedom, top-of-round rolls vs. dazed, stunned, immobilized, slowed, and restrained. Freedom also puts my Athletics on par against grabs.  Haunted Blade theme kicks my initiative to +37, rolling twice. Armbands and the Ioun Stone of Allure stack since they're item bonuses to different types of attacks. Finally, this build also uses a popular combo to intimidate something into surrender, using a Flensing Weapon. Ioun Stone and Haunted Blade give an Intimidate check of +34, rolling twice. Using an AP before the attack grants +10 to hit thanks to my PP.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Tally-Ho, level 30
Half-Elf, Fighter (Knight), Anointed Champion, Ceaseless Guardian
Knight Option: Shield Finesse
Knight Weapon Specialization Option: Bladed Step
Anointed Regalia Option: Anointed Holy Symbol
Guardian Mindfulness Option: Guardian Mindfulness Charisma
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)
Theme: Haunted Blade

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 12, CHA 30

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 18

AC: 47 Fort: 45 Ref: 42 Will: 45
HP: 223 Surges: 19 Surge Value: 55

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +25, Heal +21, Intimidate +34

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +18, Arcana +15, Bluff +29, Diplomacy +31, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +17, History +15, Insight +18, Nature +16, Perception +16, Religion +15, Stealth +18, Streetwise +29, Thievery +18

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Haunted Blade Utility: Blade of Nightmares
Fighter Attack: Battle Guardian
Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura
Fighter Utility: Defend the Line
Fighter Utility: Poised Assault
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Cleaving Assault
Fighter Utility: Hammer Hands
Ceaseless Guardian Feature: Never Again
Cleric Attack 1: Sonnlinor's Hammer
Fighter Utility 2: Snagging Grip
Fighter Utility 6: Settling the Score
Fighter Utility 8: Shield Block
Fighter Utility 10: Fighter's Grit
Anointed Champion Attack 11: Blessed Blade
Anointed Champion Utility 12: Exaltation
Fighter Utility 16: Bolstering Stride
Anointed Champion Attack 20: Anointed Army
Fighter Utility 22: Knight's Valor
Ceaseless Guardian Utility 26: Always Ready

FEATS
Shield Finesse
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Superior Will
Level 6: Adept Dilettante
Level 10: Vicious Advantage
Level 11: Deft Blade
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Agile Opportunist
Level 14: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 16: Danger Sense
Level 18: Striking Resurgence
Level 20: Nimble Blade
Level 21: Blade Opportunist
Level 21: Superior Initiative
Level 22: Shield Specialization
Level 24: Superior Fortitude
Level 26: Disciple of Freedom
Level 28: Superior Reflexes
Level 30: World Serpent's Grasp

ITEMS
Flensing Rapier +6 x1
Brooch of Vitality +6 x1
Shield of Ultimate Protection Heavy Shield x1
Agile Elemental Drake Armor +6 x1
Ioun Stone of Allure x1
Ring of Tenacious Will x1
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1
Strikebacks x1
Fey Warrior's Boots x1
Ring of Free Time x1
Backlash Tattoo x1
Diamond Cincture (epic tier) x1
Necklace of Prayer Beads +6 x1
Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +6
====== End ======

I apologize, as I'm not sure how to do a snapshot. I have Versatile Master (Retraining) on lvl 1. Superior Init is a retraining for Improved Init at 21.
Sign In to post comments