Bl00m's Official Tribal Thread

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
As requested by a couple of people, here's the details on the final agreed format of my playgroup's tribal experiment, and how it turned out.

Firstly, the final rules:
  1. Pick a tribe. Your deck must be at least one third cards from this tribe, or cards that match it.

2. No Goblins, Elves, Slivers, Merfolk, Zombies or Vampires.

3. You are allowed a full playset (four copies) of your tribal cards, and only a singelton of non-tribal cards (excluding basic land).

4. Cards with your tribe name in the card name are fine as playsets (e.g. Angelic Wall is allowed in an Angel deck, even if it isn't an Angel).

5. Cards that interact with your tribe are fine as playsets (e.g. Emeria Angel is allowed in a Bird deck).

6. If anything is line-ball, pass it by the rest of the group, and we'll see if we like it or not.

7. Peer Pressure, Extinction, Tsabo's Decree, Engineered Plague and Relentless Rats are banned outright.

8. Extra points for creativity.

Those who followed this from its genesis will probably note that playsets of non-basic land got nixed. This pretty much crippled my Elemental deck, so it didn't take part. But it's certainly forced us to be creative with the lands we're using, which is probably half the point.

What I suited up:
  1. Mrs. Bl00m's requested Angel deck.

2. A hastily thrown together initial version of Watch The Little Birdies.

3. The now-legendary Aurochs Tribal deck, doctored to fit this format.

4. A previously existing Warrior deck that I can't find a link for, but it too got doctored to fit the format. All you need to know about this deck is that it has Bramblewood Paragons, Lovisa Coldeyes, Sosuke, Son of Seshiro, Obsidian Battle-Axes and Teh Kitteh as the ultimate kill card.

What others suited up:
  1. Mono-green Treefolk featuring Leaf-Crowned Elder, Unstoppable Ash and Dauntless Dourbark.

2. Green/Black Insects, which we didn't see much of (we at least got a look at Nantuko Husk and Saber Ants... surely there's a playset of Swarmyards in there too).

3. A Blue/White Angel deck with a bit more recursion. We laid eyes on Guiding Spirit and Herald of Serra in this one.

4. Myrball!

5. A crazily fantastic Blue/White Knight deck. "Blue/White??", I hear you say. Yes. A playset of Knight Exemplars, and every Clone in the book to copy them with. Cute idea!

6. Mono-white Soldiers, with multiple Daru Warchiefs churning large soldiers out fast.

What we didn't see, but I know is coming:
  1. A mono-black Thrull deck that my Myrball and Cloner Knight guy didn't get a chance to suit up.

2. A mono-black Goblin deck that we allowed simply out of curiosity. The guy playing this one didn't get a chance to turn up on the night.

How it went:
Brilliantly. This format appears to be very even, in that it limits the amount of funky lands you can play to accelerate with, and the number of $10 win spells that you're packing. It brings it back simply to the strength of the tribe you're playing with. Our mono-white Angel deck got a win, as did the Birds, the Treefolk and the Knights.
What became obvious over time was that ground-based tribes need some serious removal or stall to cope with the airborne tribes - Thrummingbird had a field day in the Bird deck. But that's something the ground-based tribes can plan around, at least.

Play of the Night:
Another player having their Twilight Shepherd hit the graveyard outside of their turn, and Mrs. Bl00m ganking it with Adarkar Valkyrie before its persist ability triggered! Yes, you can actually do this, provided the Shepherd owner isn't the active player, and either you are, or you're further around clockwise from the active player than the Shepherd's owner is. His eyeballs almost fell out when he discovered it actually worked.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
1/3 rounded up or down, as some people might not go with 60?

Should also probably ban Kithkin and Rebels.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
I still think that Akroma's Vengeance should be allowed since Akroma is a pretty much the face of the Angel tribe.

Tongue out

Nobody tried angels?  Angel of Despair and Fallen Angel would have been enough to convince me.

The warrior deck looks similar to a friend's deck.  I myself have a pretty fun mono black Goblin deck (Goblin Fodder is insane).
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

1/3 rounded up or down, as some people might not go with 60?

Should also probably ban Kithkin and Rebels.

One third rounded up, I reckon - the more tribal, the merrier. ;)
Rebels would probably be the next tribe on the banned list if there was a seventh.
Kithkin most of us were fine with - they probably tend to fall into a similar category to Goblins, in that they shine early, and then fall into a top-decking hole in a multiplayer environment. Really, the only Kithkin any of us were really fearing seeing four of was Figure of Destiny.

@Cathaldus: Selenia, Dark Angel's pretty good too. Definitely room for a build. I'd probably even allow Akroma's Vengeance. ;)
And I take it you mean Fodder Launch in the black Goblin deck? Yes, truly bats card, especially if you can recurse it!
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Yeah, I meant Fodder Launch.  That's actually the card that made me want to make a mono black goblin deck when I started playing.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Goblins doesn't peter out like most creature decks because it has a good CA engine in Goblin Ringleader and Goblin Matron.

Are there any Spikes in your playgroup? Has anyone tried to "break" the format? Some tribes may not seem as threatening simply because no one has tried to optimize any lists.

@Play of the Night: It is impossible to do anything about the Twilight Shepherd in the GY before its persist trigger goes on the stack, because the persist trigger is put onto the stack as soon as whatever ability/effect that put the Shepherd in the GY in the first place resolves.

Furthermore, it matters not who controls either the Valkyrie or the Shepherd, because everyone (in succession) gains priority before the Shepherd's persist trigger resolves, so the Valkyrie's controller has full opportunity to gank the Shepherd before then.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Everybody can build a cool dragon, ally or a cool beast deck but if I were to try this format (which I just might), I would start with the following cards and see what I can make of it.

G/R Juggernauts:
4x Arcbound Crusher
4x Darksteel Juggernaut
4x Juggernaut
4x Gruul War Plow
4x Otarian Juggernaut

And about the Twilight Shepherd and Adarkar Valkyrie: It is all about APNAP. Assuming the Valkyrie has targeted the shepherd and that has resolved and only after that the shepherd dies, two things can happen:

APNAP puts persist trigger on the stack first and then the Valkyrie trigger, they resolve the other way round = Valkyrie player gets the shepherd.

APNAP puts the Valkyrie trigger on the stack first and then the Valkyrie trigger, they resolve the other way round = Shepherd comes back persisted under it's owners control.

So yes, it is very well possible to steal a persist critter with a Valkyrie.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
As requested by a couple of people, here's the details on the final agreed format of my playgroup's tribal experiment, and how it turned out.

Firstly, the final rules:
  1. Pick a tribe. Your deck must be at least one third cards from this tribe, or cards that match it.

2. No Goblins, Elves, Slivers, Merfolk, Zombies or Vampires.

3. You are allowed a full playset (four copies) of your tribal cards, and only a singelton of non-tribal cards (excluding basic land).

4. Cards with your tribe name in the card name are fine as playsets (e.g. Angelic Wall is allowed in an Angel deck, even if it isn't an Angel).

5. Cards that interact with your tribe are fine as playsets (e.g. Emeria Angel is allowed in a Bird deck).

6. If anything is line-ball, pass it by the rest of the group, and we'll see if we like it or not.

7. Peer Pressure, Extinction, Tsabo's Decree, Engineered Plague and Relentless Rats are banned outright.

8. Extra points for creativity.

I too have been trying to get my group to adopt a Tribal format. I like your singleton restriction for nonTribal cards, and your rule that cards that mention/interact with your tribe can ignore that restriction. I personally would extend Rule 2 to any tribe that features 100+ creatures with that sub-type (No Humans, oh look Cats just made the list), and would also ban any creature/card with a different sub-type in your deck (i.e. It is ok to have Matsu-Tribe Birdstalker in a snake deck, but not Court Archers. Both would be fine in an Archer deck).

Budget EDH:EDH on $20 a Deck. Join the Group

Our playgroup actually tried this, and every now and again we dig out the tribal decks for multiplayer games mostly. We also banned Kithkin and Vampires from the tribes to choose, and the group actually ended up building around very narrow tribes, mostly because we saw it as a challange. If I recall corectly our tribes were:

Aurochs
Sphinxs
Thrulls
Rats
Leviathans
(me)

Deck's that didnt make it:

Pre-Scar's Myr
5color Djinns

We didnt set any set rules, but the more in-theme the better. They are still very fun to play, althou some  of the match-ups are kinda one-sided if we do duals. Kind-off a Rock-Paper-Scissors kinda thing. Thrulls beat Levi // Rats beat Thrulls // Aurochs beat Rats // Sphinx beat Aurochs // etc... mostly.

I however like the rules you have set forth Bl00m, so I've given 'em a go, to see what my levi' deck would look like under those rules:

Creatures: 24

*4 Grozoth Theme
*4 Inkwell Leviathan Theme
*3 Stormtide Leviathan Theme
*2 Simic Sky Swallower Theme
*1 Kederekt Leviathan Theme
*2 Amoeboid Changeling (this guy is AMASING in this format, and can really screw up combat+Champion'ing) also Theme
1 Sea Gate Oracle Theme
1 Old Man of the Sea Honorbly borrowed from a friend also Theme
1 Groundling Pouncer
1 Wall of Roots
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Vodalian Knights Theme
1 Spike Weaver

Enchantments: 5
*4 Quest For Ula's Temple Theme
1 Spreading Seas Theme

Artifacts: 3
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Mimic Vat
1 Elixir of immortality

Instants/Sorcery: 6
1 Invert the Skies
1 Evacuation
1 Research the Deep Theme
1 Mysteries of the Deep Theme
1 Deep Analysis Theme-ish
1 Enlightened Tutor

Planeswalkers: 1
1 Jace, the Mind Sculpter

Lands:21
1 Halimar Depths Theme
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea Theme
1 Seaside Citadel Theme
1 Bant Panorama
1 Seachrome Coast Theme
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Flooded Grove Theme
1 Treva's Ruins
8 Island
5 Forest
1 Plains

*) Marks Tribal Cards

The deck as build for multiplayer games. Quest for Ula's Temple shines here, with mutiple activations each turn. Dropping Grozoth finds you 4 Inkwell Leviathans, and a second Grozoth, so you can reuse youre Inkwell's after (hopefully) pop'ing [/card]Elixir of Immortality[/card]. The rest is support for the setup, and card/mana advancement. it's slow as hell, but very fun to play.
Sign In to post comments