This game is really silly.

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking at gamma world and this game is a lot sillier and more random than I expected. The assumption is you will randomly roll your stats, in order, after having randomly rolled for your "race." I have ALWAYS hated, in any game, randomly generating stats. I like DnD 4es approach better. I don't understand how anyone could like the random generation in a roleplaying game. Being able to pick your stats lets you play a character you most want to roleplay. And randomly choosing your race is even worse than that.

I was thinking they were going to go with something like Fallout or d20 apocalypse with some humor but mostly serious. I'm a little disappointed.
I'm looking at gamma world and this game is a lot sillier and more random than I expected. The assumption is you will randomly roll your stats, in order, after having randomly rolled for your "race." I have ALWAYS hated, in any game, randomly generating stats. I like DnD 4es approach better. I don't understand how anyone could like the random generation in a roleplaying game. Being able to pick your stats lets you play a character you most want to roleplay. And randomly choosing your race is even worse than that.

I was thinking they were going to go with something like Fallout or d20 apocalypse with some humor but mostly serious. I'm a little disappointed.

DOn't think of it as a stand alone adventure (it's only 10 levels) I see it as a small break from the more serious and dramatic D&D. A chance to let loose.

Also the radom factor can be fun excersise in creativity (since a couple of my players tend to always play the same charecter every time)
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Tip:

Don't randomly roll your origins and stats if you don't want you. The game won't explode (well, not for that reason anyway).
one of my players refers to it as gamma super friends. the name has stuck.
If we could have a game where we could pick and choose everything we wanted to be, I'd just be a god. Hmm, and I want to choose what happens, too: I want to play a D&D game where I can choose all of my dice roll results.Smile

Seriously, though, there's nothing holding you back from picking your origins, stats or mutations. In fact, there's a discussion here in the forums about playing the game as a serious setting. At some point, I will want to choose my origins and stats, as well. But silly randomness is just what Jedi said: a chance to let loose.
There's no need to decry the wackiness.

If we could have a game where we could pick and choose everything we wanted to be, I'd just be a god. Hmm, and I want to choose what happens, too: I want to play a D&D game where I can choose all of my dice roll results.Smile

Seriously, though, there's nothing holding you back from picking your origins, stats or mutations. In fact, there's a discussion here in the forums about playing the game as a serious setting. At some point, I will want to choose my origins and stats, as well. But silly randomness is just what Jedi said: a chance to let loose.
There's no need to decry the wackiness.

Exactly, you can play it serious (let your plays pick alpha mutations, no need to change omega tech too much, except maybe allowing them to pick what they start with. You can remove Alhpa Flux. Tone down some of the other factors and play it a straight up post apocalyptic radioactive world.

But at 10 levels (and less experience needed per level) it really isn't intendid for a full campaign. I get the feeling it's designed to kill a couple weeks while the DM for the next campaign (or adventure) ready. Or maybe the DM has to go out of town, someone else can pick up the screen and run a Gamma world run till the normal DM returns. Or even if the group wants a weeke or two of changed pace. I feel it's meant as a way to change things up, and then go back. (or stay)

My player really want to return to Eberron, but our lives are very hectic and we rarely get to play, but we plan to do a few fun goof off adventure in Gamma World between semesters. If we ever get time we will return to a full on Eberron campaign, but we'll see if we decide to keep Gamma WOrld in our bag of tricks (Hint: it looks likely)
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
This ed of Gamma World is a lot less random than it used to be.  You get two good stats (or one super one), you get two sets of dependable reasonably balanced 'theme' mutations, you get no defects. 

Originally, you rolled those same 3d6 for /all/ your stats, randomly rolled your hps, and randomly rolled mutations, some of which were weak, others crazy-powerful, and about a quarter of which were flat-out defects.

Part of the point of retaining some of that randomness is that you'll be less attached to your character, so the game can feature more frequent character death.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I'm working up a GW campaign in which players can choose their origins and mutations and use a point buy for ability scores.

It's a work in progress on my blog
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I've made a dozen plus Pcs, this weekend, It has been a blast.  Part of the appeal for me, is building a Pc background and personality arround the dice rolls.  I find it a very creative exercise.  Most of the Pcs, I would have never developed with out the inspiration of the random rolls.  I rolled up a Giant/ Seismic character and rolled a 3 for Wisdom, that's a -4 Penalty for skill checks like Insight, and Perception, but I rolled a 14 for Chrisma.  So I made the PC a living 8' tall marble statue of Adonis.  He is big, handsome and laughably gullible.  I rolled up a Rat Swarm/ Electroconitic, then randomly rolled a 20 ton cog in the equipment table.  So I decided to name it The Captain.  It forms a vague humanoid shape in a sailors rain coat and wide brimmed rain hat, to do business and so "We the Captain can talk story with other sentients."

I say give it try, you might find it fun, I do. 
one of my players refers to it as gamma super friends. the name has stuck.

I get it, many of the Pc I developed this weekend had "super hero" complexes. 
I hear what you're saying, and the game as presented is zanny silly.

But you don't have to play that way.  The first thing I noticed was that the rules were quite mutable to whatever you wanted the game to be like.

Think of the Alpha mutation cards as a replacement to the 1e Gamma World mutations.  I ran my game the same way I would a 1e adventure.  The players only chose 1 Alpha Mutation and it was permanent.

Really the thing to do is decide if you like the way the rules work, and make your way out from there.

Want to track each buillet?  Do it.  Don't want constant randome mutation... don't do it.  Want to choose your mutations.. do it.  Want to be human.. do it!  (At least in this game they don't suck.)

I don't like how damage is just completely gone after a fight.  But I did notice that one of the guys had home brew rules to make long term after effects from injuries..  i.e.  If you got bloodied in a fight, you'll suffer -1AC and Attacks untill your next extended rest.
I don't understand how anyone could like the random generation in a roleplaying game.

Welcome, Will 2.0

Being able to pick your stats lets you play a character you most want to roleplay.

If that's what you want, go play something else.
Here's something to consider. For many people, the challenge of roleplaying something random is far more fulfilling and enjoyable than making Yet Another Hero.

Plus you can end up with characters that nobody in their right mind would come up with.

My group has Bploobplp.
He rolled Hawkoid/Mind Coercer. And a Strength of 3 and Con of 5.

The complete frailty of the character, combined with flight, resulted in a telepathic flying jellyfish.

Nobody would come up with that on their own. Randomness is inspiration.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

The complete frailty of the character, combined with flight, resulted in a telepathic flying jellyfish.

Wow... that's like a big booger.

A Terrifying Blamethrower....  (They do cause other people to fight...)

I supose that GW's divergance could create a plce for exerimentation. As previous EDitions of D&D did. People do seem to take about more WAYS of doing then with 4th ED. IMHO

Is it because we have to?
Because they gave us so little to start with?
Card?

Hummm...?
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045

And that, and that alone, is what seems to have hooked most of my friends. Whilst some of them were a bit interested in D&D (Mostly due to the Penny Arcade/PvP/WW podcasts), Gamma World seems to have that capacity for humour with a far easier set of character creation tools.

The randomness allows, and encourages, creativity. If you want something closer to Fallout, you're welcome to do so. You can choose your origins, even your stats (Although in this case there's almost nothing stopping you from having a row of 18s), but I dunno. That just feels like it's missing the point. Gamma World is less... tactical? It's far more, what's the term? Beer and pretzels? Than most RPGs on the market.

Which is why I think it's great, and I have people genuinely excited to play it.
I don't understand how anyone could like the random generation in a roleplaying game.

On the extreame side, it can be about the frustration of waiting hours for players to mull over every permutation until they design the most optimal character. And then using PCs that are more about how a player has fun manipulating numbers as compared to building a story or working with his fellow players.

Heck, I've had players take over an hour to mull over equipment choices.

The idea of rolling up a PC down to his gear and then get to playing a game in under an hour thrills me for now. We'll see if the shine stays after a while.

On the extreame side, it can be about the frustration of waiting hours for players to mull over every permutation until they design the most optimal character. And then using PCs that are more about how a player has fun manipulating numbers as compared to building a story or working with his fellow players.

Heck, I've had players take over an hour to mull over equipment choices.

The idea of rolling up a PC down to his gear and then get to playing a game in under an hour thrills me for now. We'll see if the shine stays after a while.

This is another factor. While my players think the ridiculousness of random characters is entertaining, I like it cause it means when we get to play in a month or so we don't have to set aside an entire character building session. We recently had a big change in our group, and decided to start over when we get to pick back up when our plates clear again. I was dreading having to set aside an additional couple/several hours to make new characters, as they like to pour over their options before making decisions (they are about character more than numbers, so the it's about what power the character would use at least).
You are Red/Blue!
All that said, I hope they give us a real 4E modern

Missing vehicles rules, but we have a start with GW.

Its already here.

Amethyst is a mixed world based on high tech versus magic.  (The two don't mix.  Think Avatar.)

The creator of Amethyst is also working on a world exactly like Ghost In The Shell for 4e.  Ever want to hack a guy's eyes during a fist fight?

www.goodman-games.com/4370preview.html

Its already here.

Amethyst is a mixed world based on high tech versus magic.  (The two don't mix.  Think Avatar.)

The creator of Amethyst is also working on a world exactly like Ghost In The Shell for 4e.  Ever want to hack a guy's eyes during a fist fight?

www.goodman-games.com/4370preview.html

OK, it's not EXACTLY like Ghost in the Shell.  It takes inspiration from it and Appleseed and a few others.  

Just sayin...

And yes, the Avatar comparison works...though Amethyst predates Avatar by a couple years. 

I, too, enjoy a lot more serious atmosphere in my GW so I typically allow for players to select many of their starting options. This has been my pattern since 1E back in the 1970's.

It just seems to me that the first time they play a game is when they don't have so many built-in expectations and are more willing to experiment and just have fun with it. After a few games that surpirse factor is gone and I can revert back to serious, but if I tried it the other way it wouldn't work as well.

I haven't tried the new version yet, but the first time or so that I do I'm going to surprise my group with random character generation using booster packs. I think it makes a great method of introducing the game since players don't know what they can or can't do, anyway. Once we play a few games I might default back to my usual style and let them pick again.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

I, too, enjoy a lot more serious atmosphere in my GW so I typically allow for players to select many of their starting options. This has been my pattern since 1E back in the 1970's.

It just seems to me that the first time they play a game is when they don't have so many built-in expectations and are more willing to experiment and just have fun with it. After a few games that surpirse factor is gone and I can revert back to serious, but if I tried it the other way it wouldn't work as well.

I haven't tried the new version yet, but the first time or so that I do I'm going to surprise my group with random character generation using booster packs. I think it makes a great method of introducing the game since players don't know what they can or can't do, anyway. Once we play a few games I might default back to my usual style and let them pick again.

Keep in mind that at $4 US a booster (for 8 cards) this will get pretty expensive pretty quick. To get the minimum required cards for your deck, you need 2 boosters and sometimes 3 if you get an uneven draw of omega tech vs alpha mutations. That's a minimum of 40$ for a 5-player group (not counting the DM) and 60$ as a worse case scenario. There is always the DMs deck to draw from...
I like the random part of the game...I think it helps break the mold. Being a GM it seems that most characters follow a specific path. Once that path is defined everyone tends to follow it until WotC releases a new book and breaks the path. Then there is scrambling until the new path is found

I prefer the chaos of randomness....some of my most memorable characters were randomly generated. But that is just me, I can see how some people might want to craft and hone there characters statistics until they are just right.

P.S. I also love that there is consequences for failing an over charge!!! Something that DND is lacking for the most part....

Keep in mind that at $4 US a booster (for 8 cards) this will get pretty expensive pretty quick. To get the minimum required cards for your deck, you need 2 boosters and sometimes 3 if you get an uneven draw of omega tech vs alpha mutations. That's a minimum of 40$ for a 5-player group (not counting the DM) and 60$ as a worse case scenario. There is always the DMs deck to draw from...

You get 80 cards, 40 alpha mutations and 40 Omega tech, in the GM deck that comes with the GW box set.  Plus you get an 8 card booster pack for 44 alpha mutations and 44 omega tech.  That should be more than enough to play a game.  One note of warning for the "crafters" the novice powers that come with the origins are not created equal. 

The game is silly...

Thank the powers for that. I have played silly weird gonzo Gamma World from the first printing of Gamma World. It finally feels like the rules and the setting have come around to my way of thinking.  
I agree. I think a bit of silly is a good thing. 4E players can get far too serious about builds and tactics and RAW, and forget about just relaxing and having fun and roleplaying. Its given my players a new intrest in the 4e system in general, and rekindled thier humor and creativity and encouraged them to roleplay more.

Sure, but after the first few random-draw games I may switch over to a chart-based die-roll mutation system. The rules allow for mutation changes quickly, so cards work well, but I'd prefer to have characters more static so I wouldn't need to use cards as much.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Sure, but after the first few random-draw games I may switch over to a chart-based die-roll mutation system. The rules allow for mutation changes quickly, so cards work well, but I'd prefer to have characters more static so I wouldn't need to use cards as much.

Ironically, the cards can be adapted quite easily to do just that.  Just use very small player decks (the min 7 or even fewer) constructed or drawn from the DM deck.  That gives each character a consistent set of mutations, though the exact ones available will vary from encounter to encounter.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Sign In to post comments