94 posts / 0 new
Last post

Miniatures

Monsters:

PC's:

Famine in Far-Go Miniatures

Monsters:

Cryptic Alliances

Here is a quick list of some proxy miniature ideas for Gamma World. I'll be adding more to this post as we go along (eventually covering all the creatures). Please feel free to mention your own ideas:

Have you seen KJordan's excellent standees? (Here)

Here are some of mine:

Hawkoid: Mage Knight Talon Warrior or Dreamblade Thief of Last Chances or D&D Kenku Sneak or Kenku Warrior or Kenku Wing Mage
Cockroach: Mage Knight Shelled One or Star Wars Verpine Tech

Some combos
Rat swarm/cockroach: Rot Scarab Swarm
Plant/Giant: Green Crusader

Monsters
Group 1:
Arn: Stirge Drone
Android:
Horrorclix Android
Blight: Carrion Crawler 1 or 2 (maybe add some wings)
Badder: hmm... not sure. I think I would use mvincent's idea for the Dabber here.
Blaash: Dreamblade Foul Beetle maybe?

Group 2:
Gren:
Nentyar Hunter
Dabber: Heroclix Rocket Racoon
Hoop: still working on this one.
Blood Bird:  Stirge Drone might work for this too.
Fen: Crazed Kuo-toa

Group 3:
Obb: Dreamblade Infernal Bomber (with some modification and a repaint)
Kai Lins: Warbound Impaler seems perfect
Horl choo: Roper or Greenvise Vine or maybe Stormrage Shambler or Mage Knight Thorn Crawler
Menarl: several of the Yuan-Ti would be appropriate, especially the Fangblade and Abomination.

Group 4:
Parn:
Celestial Giant Stag Beetle or Ahnkeg
Eradicator: Crab Droid
Guardbot: ASN Assassin Droid
Sep: Bulette
Porker: Gamorrean Guards 1 or 2

Group 5:
Sleeth: Lizardfolk
Serf: Horrorclix Brain Eater
Soul Besh: Rust Monster
Terl: not sure yet.
Yexil: I can't beat the Wyvern for this one.

Miscellaneous:
Klickies: Blood Scarab
Shield Droid: Guard Droid

Hopeless Character (joke from previous editions): Dug Fringer

That's all I've got for the moment. I'll keep working on those others.
Miniature INFO should go here (IMHO): community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

It's an excellent thread, but I don't believe the initial post will be updated and added to on a regular basis (like I intend to do for this one).

Here are some of mine:

You're completely awesome! Added.

Nice, I particularly like the Rocket Raccoon mini you found to represent the Dabber... going to have to find me some of those!
Have you seen KJordan's excellent standees? (Here)

Yup... they are indeed excellent. Added.

You guys are fantastic. It's great to see how minis from one game can be used in another. Very frugal!

Now, if only I actually owned any of these.... Frown

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

EN World had a link to how Mega Miniatures recently purchased a future line. Combined with the already present offerings, there are some very cool minis. I own a few of their terrain minis and I like them a lot. Do buy from their site instead of their ebay store, as it is cheaper.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Wow, Mega Miniatures lives up to their name. And they have some very interesting ones too. I particularly like the potential that some of the animal minis present.

Oh, if anyone wants to supplement their miniatures with other kinds of proxies, try looking into 1/48 scale plastic models, especially the figures. These would be very useful for mvincent's idea about cutting the head off one mini and putting it on another. Some of the 1/48 scale WWII or modern warfare figures could be modified with badger, rabbit and racoon heads (perhaps minis from Mega Miniatures!) to make Badders, Hoops and Dabbers.

The one thing to be careful of, with 1/48 scale vehicle models... they will be the right scale vertically, but they will not be the right scale horizontally. Thus, the figures work very nice, since you can easily glue them to a 1" disk base for the correct 1/60 horizontal scale.

Be mindful of this when picking vehicle models, though, and pick ones that model "short" vehicles. The truck model I just snagged is a 1/48 scale replica of a 1956 Ford F-100 pickup truck. I thought it ironic that my PCs would be driving around something that was already an antique when The Big Mistake happened, and it's still running now. heh. I also chose it for a practical reason, though.

If I grabbed a 1/48 scale model of a 2010 Ford F-150, that truck is ~20' long to the 1/48 scale, but ~25' long to the 1/60 scale. Much too long for the game, imo. The Ford F-100 is only 12' long at the 1/48 scale, and comes out to be just a hair over 15' at the 1/60 scale, which works very nicely. The trick then will be to build it so that I can actually slide the minis in the cab, and put a few in the back too.
Hoop: Warrior: Quaggoth Slave with bunny ears glued on. Warchief: Quaggoth head on Heroclix Sgt. Drake body

Tiny correction: Sgt. Drake Alexander is from HeroScape.

Warchief:
Quaggoth head on Heroclix Sgt. Drake body

Tiny correction: Sgt. Drake Alexander is from HeroScape.
Good eyes!

For those inclined to build/paint miniatures, lots of Games Workshop's stuff is appropriate.  Unfortunately, it's usually sold in boxes of 10+ miniatures.  Fortunately if you put the name of the thing you want in ebay with the words "single figure" after it you'll find ebay sellers that sell individual miniatures for cheap with cheap shipping, even internationally.

Rat men are particularly appropriate for Gamma World, so here's an ebay search for "skaven single figure":
shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12...

most ebay sellers that sell individual miniatures like this have shipping charges on the first item and then additional items are free or really low extra charges. 
Rat men are particularly appropriate for Gamma World

Interestingly, the GW art contains multiple rat men, but I didn't see a corresponding origin or monster in the rules. Anyone else notice that?

Well, they can't cover everything in the first book/game.  Maybe one of the expansions will have rat men as either origins or monsters.  And reskinning things is super easy. 
For those inclined to build/paint miniatures, lots of Games Workshop's stuff is appropriate.  Unfortunately, it's usually sold in boxes of 10+ miniatures.  Fortunately if you put the name of the thing you want in ebay with the words "single figure" after it you'll find ebay sellers that sell individual miniatures for cheap with cheap shipping, even internationally.

Ditto.  Consider also a bits store like TheWarStore.com's Battlewagon Bits or The Bitz Barn.

Monsters
Yexil: WHFB Dark Elf Manticore

Origins
Any Psi: Pulp City Sister Bedlam & Tangent
Android: Necromunda Pit Slaves, Pulp City Sentry Bots, Taban ISC Faction
Plant: WHFB Wood Elf Dryads, Ramshackle Mutant Plants
Radioactive: Pulp City C.O.R.E. & Nuclear Jones
Rat Swarm: various WHFB Swarms
Yeti: Crocodile Games Wendigo

Specific Origins
Simian Android: Pulp City Apebot

General Post-Apocalyptic / Modern
Human: Necromunda Gangers, Hasslefree Adventurers

If I grabbed a 1/48 scale model of a 2010 Ford F-150, that truck is ~20' long to the 1/48 scale, but ~25' long to the 1/60 scale. Much too long for the game, imo. The Ford F-100 is only 12' long at the 1/48 scale, and comes out to be just a hair over 15' at the 1/60 scale, which works very nicely.

Also, here's a few modern trucks made for wargaming in our scale.

Those look pretty cool. Do they scale well with the various D&D, SW, HC minis?

I've previously seen the Battlefield Evolution minis in my FLGS... the scale looked the same and the trucks seemed perfect, but the 1/65 vehicle scale might be a tad small for PC use. I'll give an update when my order arrives.
1/65 is certainly good for the 1" = 5' scale of the maps.

The wiki mentions that there is some scale creep though, depending on when the vehicles were released and which company made them. The 1/50 and 1/48 scale vehicles would fit nicely with the figures, and be slightly too big for the map scale. 1/43 would be a little bit too big for both.
Ditto.  Consider also

Suggestions added. Thanks!

I've found some interesting minis from the Infinity line of skirmish games. You can see them here: www.corvusbelli.com/en/default.asp

The robots are particularlyl awesome.
I plan on converting some of my figures. Here's one, he's a big game hunter from Copplestone castings:

gas Mask hunter painted

I also finished a couple actual TSR Gamma World figures from 1983: carmensminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/20...

The TSR figures are available at Noble Knight games.

Here's a few re-basing tips that I previously wrote up for someone:

Clix bases are about 1.5" round: about the size of poker chips. Although they are smaller than current DDM large bases, they are actually about the same size as the original DDM large bases (back in the Harbinger days). Re-basing would still be preferred for mediums (although you could still get away without doing so), or if you just want normal looking bases (i.e. clicky-bases look kinda odd). To de-base clicky minis:
- The plastic is harder than DDM’s and they are glued to the base.
- Use an exacto-knife (from the dollar store)
- Brace the miniature on a cutting board and place the knife where the mini is glued to the base
- Press down with the knife until the mini snaps off (may have to be done for each foot)
- Note: some (sturdy-bottomed) clixy-minis can even be snapped off just by hand (grab their bottom in one hand and the clixy-base in the other, then yank apart)

Dreamblade bases are 2"x2" square; perfect for large minis (but medium ones need to be re-based). To de-base Dreamblade minis:
- The plastic is soft (like DDM’s) and they are molded to their base
- Brace the mini against a cutting board and (using a dollar store exacto) slowly cut in about 1/6 of an inch, cutting down through the bottom of the mini
- Repeat these small, straight cuts until the mini is detached from the base

To de-base Heroscape minis:
- Use a dollar store exacto-knife. No special technique.

To de-base Navia Dratp minis:
- Use a power saw

For new bases: best to use black bases designed for miniatures, but wooden disks work too. For budget modifications: Poker chips can suffice for large bases, and pennies can work for small and medium. I personally prefer using a hot-glue gun to attach miniatures to new bases. Some links:
- Litko bases
- Games Workshop (often available at your local gaming store)
- Wargames foundry
- Wooden Circles (available in most craft stores)

For anyone looking to get Star Wars minis cheap...
Troll and Toad sells RANDOM minis for 35 cents a pop.
www.trollandtoad.com/p140337.html

Might not get many gammoreans, but there's bound to be something useful.

And hey, 35 cents.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
For anyone looking to get Star Wars minis cheap...
Troll and Toad sells RANDOM minis for 35 cents a pop.
www.trollandtoad.com/p140337.html

Also, here's are coupon code for free shipping from Troll & Toad (today only... i.e. expires: Nov-7): FSWKD (fwiw: it's a good deal... I've never seen them do that before, sorry if you missed it)

And here's a coupon code from miniaturemarket.com for $10 off and free shipping on Star Wars orders of $75 or more (i.e. any Star Wars stuff.. maps, books, etc. expires 11-18):
SWMD11

I just examined the entire AE- Bounty line of minis by Darkson Designs.  Perfect for GW pcs.

Dig 'em.

I've previously seen the Battlefield Evolution minis in my FLGS... the scale looked the same and the trucks seemed perfect, but the 1/65 vehicle scale might be a tad small for PC use. I'll give an update when my order arrives.

My order arrived. The scale is a tad smaller than D&D minis, but should still work (you won't be fitting any minis in it though). On the plus side: each of the trucks are exactly 1"x3".... perfect for grid use.

Next up: I'll let you know how the Haloclix Warthog vehicle fairs (once I recieve it)

I've found some more proxies:

For a Plant/Engineered Human combo: Agent Brand

A seismic character: Korg

A cockroach: Miek

Pyrokinetic: Zzzax
Next up: I'll let you know how the Haloclix Warthog vehicle fairs (once I recieve it)

The Warthog, on base, is 3" wide by 6" long.
Off base, you can fit it in 2x4, but there's a touch of spillage in both directions (less than half an inch).

Do note that the minis in the Warthog are non-removable.

The Halopedia says the Warthog is 20 feet long and 10 feet wide, so the off-base size matches perfectly. The on-base size is still apropriate to use in the general "Things occupy a battlefield space larger than they physically are" rule that says horses are 2x2 and such.
halo.wikia.com/wiki/M12_Force_Applicatio...
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Some I found

Hoops: Go to this site and look up Thumpers: www.dzurstreasures.com/servlet/Categorie...
Badders: The Dreamblade Twilight Scout is great. It'll just be a chore removing them from the massive base.

ZombieSmith has a line of sci-fi miniatures that would be appropriate:

www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/11/07/40...

One Monk has a series of free paper minis that are extremely appropriate:

onemonk.com/Apocalyptic.html 
One Monk has a series of free paper minis that are extremely appropriate:

onemonk.com/Apocalyptic.html 

If you want to use paper minis...
www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/JIMSLAB

Scroll down (way down) or Ctrl+F to the "counter stands"

Also check out www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/ITS
Oh, one to add to the first post.

If you are looking for Wyverns to stand in as Yexil proxies, don't buy the DDM Wyverns. They're a little too expensive. The Aberrations set one (which is nearly PERFECT for the Yexil) is between $12 and $20, depending on where you get it from, and the Dungeons of Dread one (not quite so perfect) is between $7 and $8.

Look for the Heroscape Wyvern. I bought two off ebay for $2.29 each. A much better deal. That shop has some cool people running it too. They're easy to cut from their bases, and are an exact replica of the DDM Aberrations one (the wyverns... not the cool shop people ;) ).
Look for the Heroscape Wyvern. I bought two off ebay for $2.29 each. A much better deal. That shop has some cool people running it too.

Auggies is indeed very cool! Better miniature prices and faster shipping than well, anyone. But you don't have to use ebay... you can buy the Wyverns directly at their store for $1.99. I had previously bought a few myself from them to use as Yexils for PAX.

Thanks for reminding me (forgot to add the Heroscape Wyverns before)... added now.

First,
Thanks for the awesome ideas on  the proxies. I probably would've never have found some of these figures without the suggestions.

I've been working on some customs using those ideas.

Here are some early photo's:

BLOOD BIRDS
i991.photobucket.com/albums/af38/travisd...

DABBER, PORKER & HOOP (sounds like a law firm)

YEXIL

More to come later.....

Excellent work! Nice use of:
- Gamorrean Guard
- Gotal
- Rocket Raccoon head
- Horrorclix Jigsaw
(references provided for those wanting to do similar)

Look for the Heroscape Wyvern. I bought two off ebay for $2.29 each. A much better deal. That shop has some cool people running it too.

Auggies is indeed very cool! Better miniature prices and faster shipping than well, anyone. But you don't have to use ebay... you can buy the Wyverns directly at their store for $1.99. I had previously bought a few myself from them to use as Yexils for PAX.

Thanks for reminding me (forgot to add the Heroscape Wyverns before)... added now.

Oh! I'd forgotten that they had a store. I was in the process of pricing minis on eBay, looking up various stores of the sellers, and I'd gone to the Auggies online store. But then I had to leave, so I closed everything down, and I forgot to go back to the store. Thanks for the link. I'll use that site from now on.

First,

Here are some early photo's:

Very cool! I've gathered a bunch of minis together to do the same thing, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have some heroclix and heroscape WWII soldier minis that I'm going to transplant Rocket Raccoon heads onto for Dabbers, and I think I'm just going to resort to paint and clay (for the ears) on other soldier minis to make Hoops. I have an order in for some gamorrean guard minis that I should probably get next week (hopefully), and then I can work on Porkers.

Excellent work! Nice use of:
- Gamorrean Guard
- Gotal
- Rocket Raccoon head
- Horrorclix Jigsaw
(references provided for those wanting to do similar)

Yes, I supposed I should've noted what I used to make them so far.

The Blood Birds were modeled from plastic epoxy

Dabber - is the Rocket Raccoon head, a SW Figure New Republic Trooper and some paint. I think I'm going to touch up the rifle and maybe add some belt items.
Porker - Gamorrean Guard pigged up pink. I used plastic epoxy to give him a new helmet and gave him a flail (hard to see, but it's a powered armor helmet on some cable.)
Hoop - a Gotal Imperial Assassin withsome Plastic epoxy used for ears and painted white. I need to give him a weapon and probably some new paint for armor.

The Yexil - part Horrorclix Jigsaw with wings from Heroscape Minion of Utgar. I also took off the tail and used some wire and plastic epoxy to mold a new tail (not visible from shot angle) as well as the mandibles. This one was pretty fun to work on.

I've been on the hunt for some of the insecty figures so that will be my next project after I finish these up. That and some Badders....

I've temporarily posted some paper creature standies at docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&....

Kerry
I've temporarily posted some paper creature standies at docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&....

Kerry

Awesome! Added.