Confused By Cards

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

I had a few questions about the cards:

1. The character sheet states that each character starts with an Omega Tech card. I can't find this in the rules. I see the rules for starting with an Alpha Mutation, but the starting rules are missing from the Omega Tech section. Am I missing something?

2. Alpha mutatations are constantly moving? The rules say that you discard your alpha mutation at the end of an encounter. I notice that it does not say "combat encounter".  So characters would discard their readied alphas at the end of a skill challenge?

3. Do encounters ever give extra Alpha Mutations? or are they only a function of level?

4. I thought I read that characters MUST discard the tech if they are unable to salvage it after a discharge. Why? Can character's not keep the broken item for a mundane use?

I know that Gamma World is fast and loose and that I can house rule/make up rules for the above situations, but I am curious what the intent of the rules is?

1. Refer to the rules about creating a character. Once you have all the numbers filled in, you draw one Alpha and one Omega.

2. At the end of any encounter either combat or non-combat. Discard and draw a new alpha mutation.

3. Extra Alpha Mutations are based on level. At level 1, you have 1, at another higher level you get 2, and I think at level 8 you get 3.

4. You can make a house rule on this. According to the RAW, you discard an Omega Tech that cannot be salvaged.

"To be wacky" which I think is stupid. I am planning a series of house rulings to kill off a lot of the randomness like this in the game and make it more like previous editions which were not wacky. Where people got this butt-crack idea is beyond me.
2. Alpha mutatations are constantly moving? The rules say that you discard your alpha mutation at the end of an encounter. I notice that it does not say "combat encounter".  So characters would discard their readied alphas at the end of a skill challenge?

If you judge it to be an 'encounter,' sure.  One reasonable rule of thumb might be that if /nobody/ used an alpha mutation and no readied alpha mutation benefit came into play, it wasn't much of an encounter, and you don't discard.

3. Do encounters ever give extra Alpha Mutations? or are they only a function of level?

Funciton of level: you can have 1 readied at 1st, 2 @ 4th, 3 @ 8th.

4. I thought I read that characters MUST discard the tech if they are unable to salvage it after a discharge. Why?

Yes, it's junk, they simply can't make it work.  
 Can character's not keep the broken item for a mundane use?

That'd be salvage, I suppose. 

You can think of a character 'discarding' an unsalvaged Omega Tech card from his own deck as actually retaining the item, and drawing it again after he rebuilds his deck as finding a fresh power cell or replacement parts for it that get it working again.  (In that case, you can think of a player deck as representing non-functional items the character has accumulated.)  Doesn't work for stuff drawn from the GM deck, of course.  I've suggested a variation in which the player builds his player deck from unsalvaged Omega Tech he's acquired, and starts drawing from it once it reaches the minimum legal size - in that case, everything comes out of the GM deck, but gets 'discarded ' to playe decks. 

I know that Gamma World is fast and loose and that I can house rule/make up rules for the above situations, but I am curious what the intent of the rules is?

The design consideration behind these rules seems, IMHO, to be "make the game work well with collectible cards."  I get the impression that the GW team wasn't sitting around, "how can we make this game more whacky fun?  -   Hey, I know, collectible cards!"  Rather it was probably more like "welcome to the Gamma World design team, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to get our RPG fans to buy booster packs..."

However it really happened, the basic card mechanic /does/ work, it accomodates players who don't want to buy boosters, and it's easy to adjust it to emphasize the RPG over the CCG aspects.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

1. The character sheet states that each character starts with an Omega Tech card. I can't find this in the rules.

Page 30, step 7

Yes. Many alpha mutations provide non-combat benefits and vice versa. Sometimes what you have is good, sometimes it isn't.

No. Alpha mutations are what you ARE. They are not something you can pick up like a gun or book. Also, the rules specify the maximum number of mutations you can have readied (that is, drawn) at once. If you drew an extra mutation, you'd be breaking that limit. If you play D&D, think about it this way... would you let people find "An extra encounter power" as treasure?

If you really want to add an Alpha award, consider allowing Draw 2 Keep 1.

4. I thought I read that characters MUST discard the tech if they are unable to salvage it after a discharge. Why? Can character's not keep the broken item for a mundane use?

The card MUST be discarded. The item (defined as junk) MAY be kept and used in some fashion. However, it does not function, and it cannot later be salvaged once you level up. If you discharge your force axe card, but keep it as a regular old axe with normal stats, you cannot suddenly salvage it into a working force axe when you hit level 6.

AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!