Trouble in Freesboro sold on Ebay-US $138.85

47 posts / 0 new
Last post

Wow.Welcome to the modern age.Everything is rare and ultra collectible I guess.This adventure was great fun and was WAY better than the one in the book, but $140 dollars worth of fun?

I'm not sure how the GM's get their packs of materials and stuff, but I'm sure they didn't have to pay for them.I would really like to have this adventure for home use to re-introduce my old group to playing again, but at these prices, I guess it will never happen.

There are a couple of more up on Ebay for the low, low starting bid of $99.Hurry!! Your Free Market Economy won't wait long!!

I guess this is why one of the Premier Game stores I contacted in my area said they would be running the Gamma World Game Day Event and then the GM backed out at the last minute because " the store would need to give up one Gamma World game kit for him to run it. Unless they sold several to make up for the cost it wasn't in their best interest". Obviously he had the Game Day materials on hand, or he wouldn't have told me he was all set to run it.Can't shake the feeling that his GM kits and the exclusive cards went straight to the highest bidder.

I had to find a Comic Book shop that was also running a Game Day event and it was less than satisfactory as they weren't as well versed in the game as the dedicated hobby shop would have been.Still had fun, though, and got my cards, but I read all of the cool posts about the great games that were run everywhere else and I feel a little bit jealous.

Sure would like to try my hand at running my group through this, but unless WOTC releases this for download or something, it won't happen because I can't afford such ultra-rare exclusives as this adventure obviously has become on the first day of its wide release.

$140!  That is unbelieveable!

I gave the second copy of the module in my kit to one of my players at the WWGD table who indicated he would be interested in running GW games in the future.

Boy am I a generous soul!

Cheers,

Carl.
I would love to get my hands on a copy, but at these prices, it's really looking like I won't be able to. Which honestly stinks, given how limited the product line is going to be in the long run anyway.
I was curious and looked up the price of encounters and other game day modules. All I found was the Dark Sun season of encounters and the Dark Sun game day event. They were going for 100 and 70 respectively. So I suspect those modules typically sell for a high value. Of course those are the ones that are still for sale. Sure one person spent a lot on the adventure, that doesn't mean anyone else will.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

This is why free Game Day materials should be released as a free PDF. It's absurd that we have this sudden collectable market for an item like this, and WotC isn't even getting a "cut" of the cash. Heck, even if they charged $1 for the download, or sold demo packs for $5 or some such they could suck the life out of the price gouging.

I had this same problem with Free RPG Day stuff like the Dark Sun module. If you didn't get it on that day you had to pay big dollar prices on e-bay.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Even just releasing them a month or so after the fact would be something. Better to do it themselves than leave honest players at the mercy of scalpers and torrent sites.
Agreed. I'd much rather do it right rather than lurk in dark alleys. This just encourages the scalpers.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

I'm not  looking for freebies.I would GLADLY pay WOTC a fair price for these adventures and other so called "exclusives" as would, I suspect, many other people.

I'm willing to wait till after the madness dies down and the collectors get their mint,never used, shrink wrapped copies. All I need is a good fast copy to run, to use and to love, to fold and to write on, and spill mountain dew on it and get dorito stains on its pages. And at the end of the day, the only thing collectible about it will be the fun I had with my friends and the stories we will have, over the years, of being part of the great Gamma World Game Day. Even a dumbed down version, without all the pretty flash and sparkly chrome would work.

And the most completely incomprehensible thing, to me, is that WOTC are not selling these things themselves.There is a market for this stuff, demand seems to be high, yet the only ones getting the cash for it are the scalpers.

I'm sure it takes a lot of work to create these materials, that are basically, in the end, just a big commercial meant to entice people to play their games and to buy more stuff.Why go through all that and not get a little something else for it? How much would it take to host a downloadable version and charge something ? Why limit it to only a small group that are just going to auction it off or end up putting it on a shelf, or worse, trashing it when interest has waned? Well, WOTC, I'm waving my wallet at you, ready to buy this stuff, directly from you.

Hello?Anybody there ready to take my cash?Anyone?..........

I ran the game on the day. I got the material not 10 min before it was meant to be run.

No time to prep or read the material I had to run a table full of hopeful players there to engoy themselves.

We then had to spend an hr making characters ... still no time to prep.

Then ... we played ... as best as I could with the LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME I got to prep ... which was ... NONE!

So for those of you reading this that went away 'slightly disappointed' with the quality of the game or 'jealous' that others may have 'appeared' to have enjoyed themselves more, spare a thought for the person running the thing with NO ... I repeat ... NO ... time to prep. We (I) do the best we (I) can (did) with the limited amount of time we (I) got.

As for the Ebay thing ... I so strongly agree! WotC should be releasing the adventure online, free or at a low cost to download, after the GD has been done around the world. Stop this madness and bring order back into what is esentually a free thing to do.
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)
 I completely agree, but having been spoiled by running all my FLGS WWGD games for the last 3 years, I've walked away with all the modules and minis so I may not be comming from the same angle as the rest of the posters.  Even with those, I would rather use a PDF to run the game and keep the main ones nice for my collection.  I did not run this adventure since the owner is a HUGE Gamma World fan, but I got to play this time and it was a blast.  I want to run this for my family group and my regular group and only need the PDF to do it. (as long as the PDF included the map to print off as well, or make the map available seperately as a JPEG so I can go to Kinko's and have it printed out) Using logic, if they make the Free RPG Day adventures available in PDF, they should make the WWGD ones available as well.  Especially since there isn't much available in the way of published adventures for GW yet and the next expansion is November (if you go by WOTC) or December (if you go by Amazon).

As a side note, has anyone mentioned if there will be GW adventures in Dungeon magazine?

"Is that your final answer?"

-Frequent quote from my side of the DM screen

The thing to keep in mind is that $138.85 is the asking price. I don't think that one has actually sold for that. And based on the amount of non-traffic the listing is getting, I doubt it will sell for that.

I've got an extra Trouble in Freesboro, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I agree that WotC should make the mod more easily availabile, but since they're not going to, I don't have a problem with people selling it. I'm a grad student, so I don't have a lot of disposable income to spend on games. Selling a mod for $20 or $30 can net me a mess of booster packs.

But if I did choose to sell it, I'd at least ask for a more reasonable price. I'd be very very surprised if anyone ponies up the $100 they're asking for, let alone $140.
The thing to keep in mind is that $138.85 is the asking price. I don't think that one has actually sold for that. And based on the amount of non-traffic the listing is getting, I doubt it will sell for that.

I've got an extra Trouble in Freesboro, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I agree that WotC should make the mod more easily availabile, but since they're not going to, I don't have a problem with people selling it. I'm a grad student, so I don't have a lot of disposable income to spend on games. Selling a mod for $20 or $30 can net me a mess of booster packs.

But if I did choose to sell it, I'd at least ask for a more reasonable price. I'd be very very surprised if anyone ponies up the $100 they're asking for, let alone $140.

But one did sell for $138, two at $75 and one at $60 as you can see on the "completed auctions" page here.

Messaged you-I'd totally buy this off you! Not to resell, mind you. I'm running a game for my siblings and while the module in the book is quite balanced and the maps are cool, I've heard this module is a lot more fun and I'd like to give it a whirl.

But if I did choose to sell it, I'd at least ask for a more reasonable price.

I'm currently auctioning an unopened copy of Trouble in Freesboro with the two promo cards on eBay. The latest bid is $31. I started the auction at a reasonable (IMHO) $9.99.

Kerry
I'd swap an unopened copy and full set of promo cards for a completed set of the booster cards
***** Wait a sec, so WOTC gave you these items for free, and you are turning around and selling them on ebay? Wow, what a wonderful profit you are making for yourself.

***** Brother G.
***** Wait a sec, so WOTC gave you these items for free, and you are turning around and selling them on ebay? Wow, what a wonderful profit you are making for yourself.

No, WotC gave me these items for organizing, advertising, and demonstrating the game (at least 8-9 hours of work). Demonstrating a game is not the same as simply playing a game with friends.

Kerry

That's redonkulous, but there's the collecting madness for you. I'd bet that the person who bought that will never run it.

Anyway, wait a while. The price'll go down.
That price is just silly. I was fortunate to be able get to play the module this past weekend at my FLGS with the organizer, my table's GM, and also a store employee. I had a blast, and was even more lucky and surprised to get a sealed copy of the module,  when I simply asked if they had any extra copies of the map we used as I'm always on the lookout for more gaming maps.

In all honesty, the selling of it on eBay never crossed my mind. I was too jazzed to realize that not only did I get a copy of the map I was after, but could now run the same adventure for my group. I sincerely hope WotC releases the module in a PDF version for free for everyone who missed out. If no one else does it, I might just do it when I get the free time.
I sincerely hope WotC releases the module in a PDF version for free for everyone who missed out. If no one else does it, I might just do it when I get the free time.

This.

Please do, man, if it doesn't show up from WOTC in a month or so. I don't care about having a "premium product"; I do care about having a cool GW adventure to run. If WOTC won't sell it to me then I have no problem pirating it.

I think part of the demand and the price comes from the fact it's at the moment the only adventure module available for Gamma World and unless GW becomes a hit, will be only one of four or so products available for the game in the forseeable future.

Considering there's no announced material for GW after Legion of Gold, any additional material is a premium item and will draw premium prices.
IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/FR_Icon2-1.png)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Poland.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/Ebb.gif)IMAGE(http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Smougman/Avatars/GamaW.png)
Well let's hope it's a hit because I want more material for this awesome game!
I sincerely hope WotC releases the module in a PDF version for free for everyone who missed out. If no one else does it, I might just do it when I get the free time.

This.

Please do, man, if it doesn't show up from WOTC in a month or so. I don't care about having a "premium product"; I do care about having a cool GW adventure to run. If WOTC won't sell it to me then I have no problem pirating it.

There are already PDF bootlegs out there, I have one, found it last week before the event, but it doesn't have the maps and I'm, looking for the maps to print off.

Well I'm sure some bloke...cough cough... would be more than willing to scan said maps and make them available in the near future. Wink
I just took a pair of scissors to mine and cut off a bit off the top and the bottom so it will fit in the gamma world box.  I guess I won't be eBaying it!

To be honest, the game was released free, I don't see any reason for WotC to not post the adventure up on their site for a free download to those who want it ... the games over and done with so why not. It would kill the eBay auctions for those wishing to cash in on what was essentually a free product in the 1st place.

And before anyone out there starts flaming me ... I own the game ... I ran the module on the Game Day for a full table of 6 who enjoyed the module (even if we had to cut it short due to time contrants) ... and ... I have no intentions of selling the module, least of all for $140.

The only way WotC is going to stop this riduculous 'after market' is to release the game online on the Monday after the last Game Day is run (which I assume is in the USA ... correct me if I'm wrong).

While I always support free PDFs, I also don't think WotC has a horse in that particular race.  I don't think they really care about the aftermarket sales of their promotional material.

The DCI guys who help run things here use any extra promotional material to sell the game.  For example, one of the DMs didn't want their copy of Freesboro, so he told everyone at the game day that if they bought the game right then and there, he'd toss in his copy.  Two people out of the six were interested, so he had a PvP deathmatch fight for it.  The seismic roach ended up barely winning against the robotic hawk.
While I always support free PDFs, I also don't think WotC has a horse in that particular race.  I don't think they really care about the aftermarket sales of their promotional material.

Not always true, in the past (didn't check this year) they released the Free RPG Day adventure as a PDF a month after the giveaway. When it started the Free RPG adventures were up for sale on ebay before the day was out at INSANE prices, but then dropped quickly when the PDF came out.

Right.  Free RPG day stuff would be another hard to get item.  Makes sense.

I fully support the release of all free RPG stuff and game day adventures as PDFs. 
And before anyone out there starts flaming me ... I own the game ... I ran the module on the Game Day for a full table of 6 who enjoyed the module (even if we had to cut it short due to time contrants) ... and ... I have no intentions of selling the module, least of all for $140.

I'd flame you, but I agree with you. If the intent is to get as many people interested in a new product as possible, then WotC should be thrilled to hand out free PDFs of the intro adventure. If they could give out thousands of PDFs and thus get thousands of extra sales, wouldn't that be neat?

I think that there is a market right now for an adventure so that GMs don't need to write their own, but given more time we'll see more and more GMs write stuff and share it so the market will decrease. After all, WotC doesn't seem to be that interested in supporting their own game. Frown

I just took a pair of scissors to mine and cut off a bit off the top and the bottom so it will fit in the gamma world box.  I guess I won't be eBaying it!

I wrote all over mine, then spilled all over it. Not that I was planning to sell it... but the ebay value didn't suprise me. The cloth Dark-Sun maps (that I declined after running games at PAX... won't do that again) went for close to that amount. Even the free ship tiles and such (that everyone could get for free merely by signing up) have been going for a pretty penny.

I actually like seeing such silly things generate interest in my hobby (like what happened to MtG). It doesn't mean I have to participate in it. Maybe the craze will catch on to the cards... maybe WotC even bid against themselves on ebay (I doubt it... but it'd be a good move).

Still waiting for the maps, anyone find them (or the whole thing with the maps)?

I think it depends on your gaming store...

At our gaming store, the owner gave us two DMs the Gamma World Game Day kits a week in advance. The other DM and I sat down at my place and read through the adventure together and figured it out at least four days before the event.

It worked out pretty well.

Part of it is that we have a good relationship with our game store owner and he knows we help bring in players and help increase sales. The other DM runs many Magic tournaments and D&D Encounters for him. I've run many Star Wars RPGs and Star Wars and D&D Minis tournaments for him.

Luckily, our game store owner is pretty honest and I've never seen him price gouge on anything in 10+ years. He sells things at the price he bought them at. If the price goes up, he keeps the price marked as to what retail was when he bought the product. If retail drops (like it did on Axis & Allies minis), he lowers the price on his existing product.

At our gaming store, the owner gave us two DMs the Gamma World Game Day kits a week in advance. The other DM and I sat down at my place and read through the adventure together and figured it out at least four days before the event.

It worked out pretty well.

Part of it is that we have a good relationship with our game store owner and he knows we help bring in players and help increase sales. The other DM runs many Magic tournaments and D&D Encounters for him. I've run many Star Wars RPGs and Star Wars and D&D Minis tournaments for him.

Luckily, our game store owner is pretty honest and I've never seen him price gouge on anything in 10+ years. He sells things at the price he bought them at. If the price goes up, he keeps the price marked as to what retail was when he bought the product. If retail drops (like it did on Axis & Allies minis), he lowers the price on his existing product.

same here. it's free, and meant to be played, not sold. i gave my extra copy to a friend who showed interest in running a game. and give 2 of the promos away to people who show now on sundays(when we play now) who could not make it to game day.

At our gaming store, the owner gave us two DMs the Gamma World Game Day kits a week in advance.

I wouldn't let WotC know this or where the store is ... they have taken stores off their list to get promo / Game Day / advance release material for releasing something early.

I'm on good standing with my local store own aswell, running Encounter material every Wednesday night, aswell as being the ONLY person running the Gamma World Game Day and he flatly refused to release it early. Although it made it VERY HARD to run on a moments notice (even though he assured me it wouldn't and was surprised to see it was), I respect his decision to follow WotC's rules.

Mind you, I hope he allows me to peek at the next Game Day material (in store) before the day to allow me to plan what the hell I'll be doing on the day.

At our gaming store, the owner gave us two DMs the Gamma World Game Day kits a week in advance.

I wouldn't let WotC know this or where the store is ... they have taken stores off their list to get promo / Game Day / advance release material for releasing something early.

I'm on good standing with my local store own aswell, running Encounter material every Wednesday night, aswell as being the ONLY person running the Gamma World Game Day and he flatly refused to release it early. Although it made it VERY HARD to run on a moments notice (even though he assured me it wouldn't and was surprised to see it was), I respect his decision to follow WotC's rules.

Mind you, I hope he allows me to peek at the next Game Day material (in store) before the day to allow me to plan what the hell I'll be doing on the day.

are you at the one store that handed the kit out the day of? no wonder you had no idea what was going on. it's an adventure. we have to get it early to run it. sounds like your store is a bit stingy. like i'm going to leak out what happens in the adventure ahead of time.

are you at the one store that handed the kit out the day of? no wonder you had no idea what was going on. it's an adventure. we have to get it early to run it. sounds like your store is a bit stingy. like i'm going to leak out what happens in the adventure ahead of time.

Is it seriously WotC's policy to have the DMs and GMs who run their games day do so with no pre-reading or preparation whatsoever?  When I ran the D&D Game Days for the PHB, MM and DMGs for the last few years, I always got it before the actual day.

"Here you go, brand new game!  Go!"

That seems really ridiculous to me. 

I just want the adventure. FFS. WOTC, can we get a PDF, pleeease?

I just want the adventure. FFS. WOTC, can we get a PDF, pleeease?

Seriously, is there something we can do to lobby WOTC for this? Would a petition even be worth it?

That is not an "early release"
For something to be released, it has to be SOLD. This is not.

You're SUPPOSED to get game day/encounters material in advance so you can prepare. This is proper.

And vastly different from a store SELLING something like the base Gamma World set weeks in advance.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

That is not an "early release"
For something to be released, it has to be SOLD. This is not.

You're SUPPOSED to get game day/encounters material in advance so you can prepare. This is proper.

And vastly different from a store SELLING something like the base Gamma World set weeks in advance.

Thx for the feed back people and I'll pass this on to my store owner ... but ... according to him, that is their policy (although now that we have an idea that DM's are getting material BEFORE the day then he may do the same for future Game Days ... I hope. It would be nice to get some 'official feedback here but I would count on it).

Thx again.
Sign In to post comments