And what was the reason that the two different card decks have the same back again?

52 posts / 0 new
Last post

2. To mask how little information it actually contains.

I don't know man, that's awfully conspiracy-theory-ish of you.

Agreed.  We are definitely into Tinfoil Hat realm here.

On the other hand, a ordinary composition book fits in there perfectly.  

2. To mask how little information it actually contains.

I don't know man, that's awfully conspiracy-theory-ish of you.

Not conspiracy. Design. You do believe that GW was designed, do you not?

GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045

On the other hand, a ordinary composition book fits in there perfectly.  

Does it? Cool, I'll have to pick up a few. My players can use those to record stuff, keep track of thier Omega gear and whatnot.
Design & Tinfoil Hats: The two are not mutually exclusive.
All I'm saying is, I don't think there's a dearth of material in the GW book. Sure, there could be some more traps/hazards, but other than that it seems to include everything you need for lvl 1-10 play. I certainly think GW was designed, but I certainly don't think the book was specifically designed to make it seem like it has more content than it has.

If anything, it was probably designed with the smaller form-factor so people wouldn't be comparing it to the D&D books and thinking it was way too thin on content. It is thinner on content than the D&D books, but then it's a different game, and with only 10 levels.
I don't even get how making it smaller is supposed to hide that it's smaller?  The impression I get is that this softbound digest-sized format is just what WotC is going with for the foreseable future.  It doesn't make a big difference.  Either the content printed in the book is good or its not - the exact dimensions of the book make little difference. 

This version of GW is pretty good.  Not as good as the 4th ed, but better than the two in between.  It does leave me with the impression that it was developed on a tight budget or schedule (or both).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I have, but never really played the complete Gamma World collection from 1st edition onward.  It might be a matter of presentation, but the latest strikes me as the most inviting and having the lowest barrier to entry.  I enjoy reading the older books for ideas though.  The quantum/possibility collision thing definitely reduces the setting mastery required to play the game.  One of the reasons we never, ever played older editions of Gamma World in my gaming groups was setting exhaustion.  The sheer volume of setting information in 2nd Ed Forgotten Realms products and the like really made everyone groan at the prospect of learning the details of some post apocalyptic setting.

Yes, it sucks that the card decks have the same back.  The net result was two boosters less of money going to WotC as I bought sleeves with that money instead.  So UltraPro or whatever got that money instead.

In today's world of computer-generated images that are then color processed by computer and transmitted direct to plates -- it doesn't matter if they have the same or different backs.

The only additional cost to have different backs is to pay a graphic artist to design two backs instead of one. That's all. And, I suppose, a little extra time for the editors to look it over and make sure the correct backs are on the proper cards.

We noted this same issue during the Gamma World Game Day as we played our first game of Gamma World.

Like the others said, all we could figure out was to put different sleeves on them -- unfortunately, that causes you to buy the more-expensive sleeves instead of using the cheap clear sleeves I prefer for cost-saving measures. Just like WotC, I have to watch my paperclip expenses too. *chuckle* Especially in this economy!
One can only assume that the smaller paperbacks (which is the common theme in the Essentials line for D&D), is a way to cut costs on the books to both make them cheaper and lighter to carry for players.

True, I prefer the bigger hardback books that seem to last a lot longer and take more abuse... but with so many products coming out and the good use of boxsets (again), the smaller paperbacks can be added into the boxes for a lighter trip to gaming shops or other locations.

If you pull out that insert in the Gamma World box, you can probably fit about three of the paperback books, plus all your counters, all the starter cards, and probably a good chunk of cards from boosters (all those cards sleeved too). Throw in a set of dice and a few pencils and some custom character sheets (that don't blind you with neon purple and green colors plus contain all the things you need for a Gamma World character), and you have a light, easy travel container. A similar thing could be said of the D&D Red Box set.

In that, I find the product design (basically going back to the basics -- old school D&D) to be a bit refreshing during these lean economic times.

If you pull out that insert in the Gamma World box, you can probably fit about three of the paperback books, plus all your counters, all the starter cards, and probably a good chunk of cards from boosters (all those cards sleeved too). Throw in a set of dice and a few pencils and some custom character sheets (that don't blind you with neon purple and green colors plus contain all the things you need for a Gamma World character), and you have a light, easy travel container. A similar thing could be said of the D&D Red Box set.

This is basically the box's redeeming value to me. While its a nuicance that standard paper wont fit into it, almost everything else will, and papers I can stick into a file folder.
Oh the horror.

Other than that minor point, I do like the new design because its nicely compact and easilly transported.
Normally for my 4E or 3.5 games, I had to tote around a small wheeled suitcase plus a backpack, along with the Battlemat and any foodstuffs. With this, I can fit everything important into the box, put the food into the backpack, and tuck the battlemat under my arm. Nice and easy.
I like the box.  I've bought about 6 or so of the boosters and traded with some locals and my deck boxes fit in the game box as well.