Semi professional review of Gamma World Game Content

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
What makes it a semi professional review? Im old and my beard is epic. (IE Ive played this game since 1st ED Gamma World)

Death of imagination will be a big theme with this post, so please follow and try to throw pottery after, ok?

I purchased the game box and a booster deck for a little over 50 dollars, the rule book was falling apart and some of the cards were faded, map sheets were torn in a few areas; I have wargame figures so the cardboard chits are kinda a moot thing for me anyway. At the price I paid, not worth the cost.

Flipping through the book as best I could, I saw a few small nods back to the older games, which was nice. However I do miss negative traits and flawed mutations, is it that hard to make a game a challenge now-an-days? I plan on copying all the flaws from prior games, mod them up for this incarnation and throw them into the game.

The creature classes, great concept I like how you choose your dude. But where are the other animals? Where is that really big chart of all the critters you could possibly play?

No real mention on what caused it all, but thats ok it has an almost charming pulpy feel to it (I am missing some pages however). Kinda like dawn of the dead but at best any character and charm this game could have had was lobotomized and excised from corpse at the get go. Its 4th Ed AD&D with guns Folks, get used to it. Most of the critters feel wooden and not much of a threat. The preview adventure in the back of the book was good for a hack and slash no thought kinda fun, but after a while that will grow stale.

But Fred! I hear you exclaim, isnt that the Game Masters job; make  the game entertaining. Quite true however when you read the intro mission, one of the lines in the book says that the game is zany...which could be true, however looking at the intro quest, there is nothing but lines of what critters are what, references of the main maps on where your chits are supposed to go. No 'you shall all fall to the terror that is the Mecha Ultra what ever' speach that the bad guy for the intro game is supposed to have. No personality, no charm. World of Warcraft in a book form that had Roleplaying slapped onto the cover.

So, feel free to purchase the game and you may find some mediocre fun with this game. But in my opinion it wasnt worth the money I paid for it, the cards are over priced at only 8 per pack, I'd return it but the store I bought it from wont take damaged product for resale. Will work on modding it up and make it somthing other than what it is.
I think you misspelled "unprofessional and amateur" in your subject line, hth.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
I think you misspelled "unprofession and amateur" in your subject line, hth.

amateur is not mentioned in the title
1: Sounds like you got a damaged copy. It should be returned for replacement. Claiming that a purchase is not worthwhile because you got a damaged copy is disingenious at best.

2: Snap judgement there. How do you know the game is "not a challenge" as is? Why do you automatically assume that it's "not hard enough" without even trying it? The game is plenty challenging without defects. Mortality is quite high as is.
One person reported a TPK on his first session. Several others chimed in with similar comments.

3: The list of 20 origins makes for 200 different character combinations. That's not enough for you?
The next expansion, Famine in Far-Go will have 20 more. That's 1600 combinations.
Why does there need to be a huge chart? More to the point, where is there room for them in the book?

4: Using D&D rules? Well, it IS labelled "D&D Gamma World". More to the point, 4 is a good system, it's easy to learn and use, and this won't be the first edition of GW that's D&D rules with guns.

5: Egads! A starter adventure that is fine as it is, but wouldn't be fun to constantly do? That describes pretty much every starter adventure. I don't see how this is some kind of failing.

6: What gives. You say "it'd true, the GM needs to make it entertaining" and then immediately complain that entertaining bits like doom speeches should be pre-written so the GM has nothing to do? According to you, the personality and charm should come from the GM... so it's bad when the personality and charm don't come pre-canned?
The fact there IS so little detail is the best part, as far as I'm concerned. It leaves it all open to put your own stamp on.

7: Yes, the cards are overpriced. Which is why I'm not buying them. Works fine as is.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Hmmm, the poor quality of your materials sounds like a problem with your distributor, and considering that 4e core books were 35 apiece in my area, I find the set at 40 to be about what I'd expect (though I really would like a hardcover, this binding just does not compare).

I found bits of humor scattered throughout the work itself, and while not of it was straight up front wacky, that was actually a plus for me. It was professional, but it managed to throw in a humorous piece every couple pages. I feel this is simply another case of nostalgia drowning out any desire to be entertained by the modern incarnation. Are there problems? Sure, a whole host of them, but this is the teaser for new players. Give it time.

One thing I would like to point out: Cal Moore, Jennifer Clarke Wilkes and anyone else involved in the editing of this should really get their act together. There are already quite a few noticeable problems, and this really doesn't need any reasons to fail right now (especially not ones so lame as forgetting to put in keywords). I for one would be sad if anyone got turned off because they can't figure out how to play the game because of it.

Was that really necessary?
I'm looking for literally any reason to post this song around. Thank god for signatures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5fkw10OkE
I am writing this as a player/GM, there has been nothing that WoTC has released since 4th came out that just made me go 'oh crap I love this! This is a great idea' its always been met by myself and a large collection (that is getting bigger every day) of people who just kinda sigh and play anyway because well, what else is out there?

Minds Eye Theater, understand the concept? when you see a WoW Hotbar around the mental image you see while playing a RPG, somthing is hideously wrong. That being said, I am trying to find a pot of gold in the meh sandwhich I just shilled out 50ish dollars for.

Yes I did get a defective product, but lets be fair, first impressions are important. I may trade this boxed set off for some wargaming crap or what have you. I dont know, or I may dig up my old copy of Gamma World and just put the fear of god into my players and try to get them to think outside of the box.

And no little neck beard, when you get older you find that the things you grew up with change; which is a good thing, but when you get wiser and realize that the game you enjoyed is pretty much the dead horse and a mob of people are trying to beat it while a growing number of people behind said crowd are complaining about it, then you have to complain with the others and maybe we can start on another horse before its ridden into the ground and killed.

And a further note Gamma World was never supposed to be AD&D with guns, allways supposed to be somthing new. All they did with this incarnation is make it where you have to buy cards to catch 'em all
I am writing this as a player/GM, there has been nothing that WoTC has released since 4th came out that just made me go 'oh crap I love this! This is a great idea' its always been met by myself and a large collection (that is getting bigger every day) of people who just kinda sigh and play anyway because well, what else is out there?

Any of the literally THOUSANDS of even slightly less well known RPGs out there (my personal favorite company is Green Ronin, btw). If you don't like how a company is taking a game, find a new game. That's the beauty of free will. 

Minds Eye Theater, understand the concept? when you see a WoW Hotbar around the mental image you see while playing a RPG, somthing is hideously wrong. That being said, I am trying to find a pot of gold in the meh sandwhich I just shilled out 50ish dollars for.

Sounds like a personal problem. 

Yes I did get a defective product, but lets be fair, first impressions are important. I may trade this boxed set off for some wargaming crap or what have you. I dont know, or I may dig up my old copy of Gamma World and just put the fear of god into my players and try to get them to think outside of the box.

I couldn't agree more. First impressions are important. Second ones even more so. The first iPod I bought happened to be the one-in-ten-thousand defective one. I was furious, but upon calming down and taking the time to return it calmly, I got my desired product. If you add "defective merchandise" to your list of complaints, you only serve to turn away anyone who didn't get a product in similarly poor quality (from your review, I mean. I can see how that might be interpreted wrong). If anything the complaint should be directed at the store your bought it from, and only after you've confirmed that it was their fault in the first place.

And no little neck beard, when you get older you find that the things you grew up with change; which is a good thing, but when you get wiser and realize that the game you enjoyed is pretty much the dead horse and a mob of people are trying to beat it while a growing number of people behind said crowd are complaining about it, then you have to complain with the others and maybe we can start on another horse before its ridden into the ground and killed.

I'm sorry that you see D&D that way, but there are factors at work here that go far beyond yourself. D&D is one of the less profitable things Wizards has picked up, and quite frankly the amount of work they've put into bringing a sinking ship afloat is pretty darn incredible. Have they made mistakes? Colossal ones. I personally think whoever thought psionics should have been brought back was insane, but I've seen people I never thought would have played back in the day jumping in because they can look at the work and see it's taken a new turn. If that means I have to be a little more flexible as a DM to make the mechanics fit my flavor then so be it. My only real problem with the idea in the first place is that it's called D&D. That name just serves to annoy the fans they already had.

And another thing: my beard is AWESOME.

And a further note Gamma World was never supposed to be AD&D with guns, allways supposed to be somthing new. All they did with this incarnation is make it where you have to buy cards to catch 'em all.

Woah now, that's akin to saying they make you buy more dice because some powers do 2d6 damage. The box gives you everything you need to start a game, and if it's now insane to have expanded content as an option (even if it's not in book form) then I don't want to be sane.
I'm looking for literally any reason to post this song around. Thank god for signatures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5fkw10OkE

That's your problem, and has nothing to do with the product.

Minds Eye Theater, understand the concept? when you see a WoW Hotbar around the mental image you see while playing a RPG, somthing is hideously wrong.

Again, that's your problem. There are plenty of people who do not have this problem, nor anything remotely resembling it. You are the statistical outlier here.

And no little neck beard, when you get older

First of all, I'm older than you.
Second of all, using derogatory language like "neckbeard" is a Code of Conduct violation. I haven't reported you for that... yet.

when you get wiser

With this kind of elitist, downlooking attitude towards complete strangers... I'm going to suggest that this forum is not the right place for you, and that you might want to return to your usual haunts.

the game you enjoyed

Past tense? I'm PRESENTLY enjoying my games a great deal.
In fact, I'm enjoying them more than I did in the past!
Oddly enough, more people are now actively enjoying these games than ever have in the past.

The fundamental problem here is, quite frankly, you and the baggage you brought.
Derogatory language, elitist attitudes, and a prejudice against the game system... you didn't want to like the game before you even bought it, and you simply dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with you.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
I agree with points in your semi-pro review. My first experience with DND 4e rules this year was basically.. so it's like WoW? okay... seems weak... but I've found with my limited time to play games I've enjoyed that I could just hop in and play after a long hiatus.

When this new Gamma World came out I found myself full of stories and ideas that I want to share, so I'm actually going to DM some games. I'm excited about it when I usually shirked that responsibility. I was also surprised to learn that this game has been out all my life and I never knew about it.(I don't have the epic beard as I was only just born in 78) Good on Wizards marketing machine brining it back at least eh?

So the tools in the box are sparse and the card gimmick is annoying but if anything the streamlined combat of 4e and the limited info in the book has really sparked my imagination. So that's a win. For me personally. Granted my buddy and I are already pillaging other source books from other systems, and I've been delving the forums here for more juice from the imaginative community, but it's a great start.

I still have fond memories of graph paper and THAC0...  and of course still have almost all of my first set of dice(still mourning the loss of my orange D10) it's all kinda hazy but we were having fun dammit. This new stuff just opens up the fun to new players. 

Was that really necessary?

Yup.

If someone's gonna boast about their own level of professionalism in the subject line, I expect a higher quality review than what we got here.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Good on you Thaelor! I have played all versions of Gamma World (including the crappy Alternity version) and this one was just a let down for what I was expecting it to be, as I stated above I am culling information from the earlier games and dropping them in as I can. Some good sources would be Paranoia, Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome, Wasteland, Ogre, Animal Farm and 1980.

And dont get me wrong I enjoy fast play stuff, but first impressions really matter to me and if I see somthing that just gets in my craw (A halfling who can knock a dragon back) I tend to just shake my head.

Try Battletechs A Time of War RPG book, very well done and chock full of ideas and 25+ years of back history, plus it has the best character generation system Ive ever seen in my many many maaaany years of play.

And dont worry, your neck beard will grown in soon and you will put most dwarves to shame! Cheers!

@Palmer while you do raise good points, feel free to disagree with me all you want, the game engine is garbage and needs to be fixed ASAP or it will die.

How embarrassing, I misspelled "unprofessionAL."

Mainly I mean that this was a pretty crappy review. And the defenses of said crappy review just make it worse.

I have played all versions of Gamma World (including the crappy Alternity version) and this one was just a let down for what I was expecting it to be, ...

Actually, Alternity wasn't the crappiest one, that would be the d20 version.

the game engine is garbage and needs to be fixed ASAP or it will die.

And your evidence that the engine is garbage?

It also makes me wonder what the original poster thinks of the "game engines" in all previous versions of Gamma World, since all of them have died too.

What makes it a semi professional review? Im old and my beard is epic. (IE Ive played this game since 1st ED Gamma World)

Hey, me to.  (Well, not epic).  But I have played GW since 1st ed - still run 1st once in a while.

Death of imagination will be a big theme with this post

That sounds a bit grim...

I purchased the game box and a booster deck for a little over 50 dollars,

Well, your first mistake was buying boosters.  Blind/randomized at 4 bucks for 8 cards?  Plus, the content from those cards was all up in a thread, here within a few days.  

Flipping through the book as best I could, I saw a few small nods back to the older games, which was nice. However I do miss negative traits and flawed mutations, is it that hard to make a game a challenge now-an-days?

Defects.  They were called defects.  And, no, 7th ed doesn't have defects.  It does have some fairly nasty/amusing effects for failed overcharge rolls, though, so you can get a bit of that feel, once in a while.

The creature classes, great concept I like how you choose your dude. But where are the other animals? Where is that really big chart of all the critters you could possibly play?

There's 20 more origins slated to apear in each of the expansions, so that'll be 60 in all.  Plus, there's a thread of custom origins, here, that's up to about 20, too.  The first 20 cover birds, bugs, fast furries and big furries - and swarms, /and/ plants.  So, unless you're hot to play a lizard, fish, or worm, you're in pretty good shape.

No real mention on what caused it all, but thats ok it has an almost charming pulpy feel to it (I am missing some pages however). Kinda like dawn of the dead but at best any character and charm this game could have had was lobotomized and excised from corpse at the get go. Its 4th Ed AD&D with guns Folks, get used to it.

Gamma World never went into great detail about the apocalypse, but this one's sketchier and more open than most.  It's a tad reminiscent of Land of the Lost, actually.  Just  wierd.  As far as it being like 4e D&D yeah.   1st Ed Gamma World was more than a bit like OD&D.  4th was a bit like 3e (which was a good trick for a game published in '92).

World of Warcraft in a book form that had Roleplaying slapped onto the cover.

So you're down to the "4e is WoW" thing?  That's pretty sad.  You haven't even mentioned the CCG aspect, that's good for /some/ grousing.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I have played all versions of Gamma World (including the crappy Alternity version) and this one was just a let down for what I was expecting it to be, ...

Actually, Alternity wasn't the crappiest one, that would be the d20 version.

I don't know, the Alternity version did have the distinction of failing before it reached the stores...  Few games can say that.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I was also surprised to learn that this game has been out all my life and I never knew about it.(I don't have the epic beard as I was only just born in 78) Good on Wizards marketing machine brining it back at least eh?

The pattern with Gamma World after the first 2 eds was prettymuch to use it to launch or push something else.  So we had d20 modern Gamma World, and Alternity Gamma World and FATE Gamma World (and Amazing Engine Metamorphosis Alpha).  Now we have CCG Gamma World, to push that concept in the vain hope giving D&D the margins of M:tG, I guess. 

The other half of the pattern is that GW only ever gets a handful of suplements before being put back in the containment vessel for another 5 or 10 years.  So, snap up (or d/l) what you can, while you can.

It also makes me wonder what the original poster thinks of the "game engines" in all previous versions of Gamma World, since all of them have died too.

Going by that logic... you know what game engine ISN'T crap then?

PARCHEESI.

2500 years old and still not dead.

Obviously Gamma World 8E should be based on that engine.
I don't know, the Alternity version did have the distinction of failing before it reached the stores...  Few games can say that.

Yeah, but that's because they killed Alternity, not because of the quality of the game.

The only things I didn't like about Alternity Gamma World were the way they shoehorned Mechalus and Weren into the setting, and they forced you to be predefined races.

I GM'ed my first game of the latest Gamma World incarnation today.  I too have played from GW from way back (1981), and I have to say I am liking the new edition.  I will admit I was a little wary of the Alpha Mutation and Omega Tech cards before I actually experienced gameplay.  My reservations were unfounded however, as the game proved to be fast, fun and deadly.  The Overcharge rule is gold, causing dismay, mayhem and much laughter at the table.  The game is a little more abstract than I personally prefer, but it also adds to the smoothness of the system.

Regarding the background to the new Gamma Terra, page 3 of the Rulebook gives you the basics - Hadron Collider - Big Mistake - all the strands of existence touch for a moment, mixing and matching (String Theory meets Locard Principle).  Works for me.

I give the new GW the thumbs up.

Cheers,

Carl.
Just a couple of quick replies:

- I'm not sure where the original poster bought the game but my friend and I got it from Amazon for about $27.  Maybe try buying it from Amazon next time?

- The booster packs sound a little overpriced at $4 but they're totally optional. The game works fine without them.  Also it looks like you can get them for $3.18 online (still a little high but not $4.)

- The game itself looks fine to me. The number of types of monsters seems a little low out of the gate but the starting adventure is probably enough to tide my group over for a month or so and by then the first expansion should be out. So if the game proves popular with my group that first expansion looks like it'll be a good buy.

- I'll give props to Gamma World for being very easy to set up and play, especially if you've already played 4e D&D.  Pass out character sheets, roll a few dice, draw a couple of cards and you're off. Just make sure if you're DMing to read the rules carefully before playing because there are a couple of subtle but important differences between Gamma World and D&D (eg. no healing surges or action points, second wind is a minor action and heals bloodied value, heal to full after short rest).
Just a couple of quick replies:

- I'm not sure where the original poster bought the game but my friend and I got it from Amazon for about $27.  Maybe try buying it from Amazon next time?

Retail is $39.99, so not totally out of line.  That is also the norm as far as boxed set prices go for RPGs pretty much across the board.  

- The booster packs sound a little overpriced at $4 but they're totally optional. The game works fine without them.  Also it looks like you can get them for $3.18 online (still a little high but not $4.)

They are a little overpriced in my opinion as well, but they are indeed completely and utterly optional and fun.  I actually LIKE the suggestion they use for the Gamma World Game Day, for example:  Buy two boosters the first time you make a new character, separate them into Alpha and Omega, shuffle them up, and off you go!  Makes for some fun, crazy, random games.

- The game itself looks fine to me. The number of types of monsters seems a little low out of the gate but the starting adventure is probably enough to tide my group over for a month or so and by then the first expansion should be out. So if the game proves popular with my group that first expansion looks like it'll be a good buy.

I actually suspect the reason for this is very simple:  The monsters are 100% balanced in line with and designed along the same lines as D&D monsters.  Therefore, every single solitary monster (or, at least, the ones from level 1-10, maybe some of the slightly higher monsters as "epic" GW enemies) in every 4E supplement (or the Monster Builder) can be directly used for a Gamma World game.  So, really, there is a massive selection of monsters to choose from, and you can use your imagination to translate said monsters to Gamma World (i.e., goblins might be Minikin from the Land of Ozzy).

If someone's gonna boast about their own level of professionalism in the subject line, I expect a higher quality review than what we got here.

I'm gonna go with this.

Sorry OP, your 'review' comes off as being just another one of the stereotypical 'OMG 4E = hate' threads that crop up from time to time. Your word choice leads me to think you've got some serious 4e hate going on, and since GW is 4e, you hate that too.

You assume that everyone dislikes 4e because you do, despite 4e Premier Stores, D&D Encounters, and D&D Game Days being quite successful in many areas.

You claim people play it because 'there's nothing else', which is a ridiculous premise. Not only do plenty of people still play 3.5e and/or Pathfinder, but there are many different active systems you could be playing, and dozens of old ones INCLUDING those you apparently loved so much. If there really is 'nothing else' in your area when people can simply choose to play a different system, then guess what? They are choosing to play 4e because they like it better. That or they are morons or masochists for choosing to play something they dislike.
Sorry OP, your 'review' comes off as being just another one of the stereotypical 'OMG 4E = hate' threads that crop up from time to time. Your word choice leads me to think you've got some serious 4e hate going on, and since GW is 4e, you hate that too.

The fact that the account was created the same day of the original "review" also smacks of a hate thread and not a real review.

amateur is not mentioned in the title

It should be.