Bloodbowl of the Roze Queen

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to be in Pasadena, California for the D&D meetup's monthly game day on November 6, so I volunteered to run a Gamma World one-shot.

And of course, the best Gamma World games are set in one's hometown. Fortunately I lived in the Pasadena area for most of my life! So I created this writeup for the meetup site:

Gamma World - Bloodbowl of the Roze Queen

It's January 1, 2152 and Pazdena is underwater! But that won't stop the Stilt City's most famous event -- the annual Roze Prey race down Crado Bullyard culminating in the brutal Roze Bull arena's fight to the death! You need nothing to play; just bring yourself, some dice, and get ready for some mutant mayhem!

(If you're from Pasadena and are gonna be there, stop reading now!)

So now that I've written up that blurb, I actually have to decide what happens in the adventure. All of the old Gamma Terra maps show southern California as being underwater, so I figured that a stilt city sounds neat.  And it will give new meaning to the idea of Rose Parade "floats."  Probably each group that enters would get to build that own "float" (i.e. decorated and armed barge) and sail it along a predefined course while being shot at by spectators. They'll make their way to the Rose Bowl which, for some reason (i.e. "because it seems cooler") is going to be half above water, making it into an enclosed lake.

Then the survivors who made it through the Roze Prey course will fight it out with each other, and the winner will be honored by the Roze Queen and her court of Roze Princesses.

So!

Anyone got any ideas for what kind of people might enter such a competition? Maybe one from each major Cryptic Alliance? And some threats along the way like, I dunno, hoops on houseboats or something?

Is it too obvious to make the Roze Queen a mutated rosebush?

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

All of the old Gamma Terra maps show southern California as being underwater, so I figured that a stilt city sounds neat.  And it will give new meaning to the idea of Rose Parade "floats."

That's much cooler and more creative than what I did about the south bay being underwater:  ignored the map and just did what I wanted.  

Probably each group that enters would get to build that own "float" (i.e. decorated and armed barge) and sail it along a predefined course while being shot at by spectators. They'll make their way to the Rose Bowl which, for some reason (i.e. "because it seems cooler") is going to be half above water, making it into an enclosed lake.

Like a litteral bowl! Awesome! 

Then the survivors who made it through the Roze Prey course

It's not the Roze Prey Raid?

will fight it out with each other, and the winner will be honored by the Roze Queen and her court of Roze Princesses.

OK, so sense of 'Roze' here is clearly the Roze Bowl 'rose' from the waters in some sense.  So maybe the Roze (Risen?) Queen and Princesses are members of an allied race of aquatic mutants and this ritual is part of keeping the alliance going?  Maybe the winners each have to get friendly with a Roze Princess - which requires being able hold your breath for a really long time...?   Or, maybe the Roze Queen 'roze from the dead' and is some sort of immortal mutant ruler? 

Anyone got any ideas for what kind of people might enter such a competition?

Completely barking mad adventurers?  

Maybe one from each major Cryptic Alliance? And some threats along the way like, I dunno, hoops on houseboats or something?

Some sort of acquatic threat would make sense.  Like, I don't know, viking sea otters (aquatic Dabber or Badder), or swarms of carnivorous cryokinetic baby harp seals, or Giant Sea Urchins (Horl Choo)...

Is it too obvious to make the Roze Queen a mutated rosebush?

I guess not, since the whole rose thing seems to have gotten lost, the floats aren't decorated with flowers, right?

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

This sounds pretty cool, I was thinking about making a bandit's base be a group of barges lashed together in a bay, with some being half sunk so the players would have to make athletic/acrobatic checks to avoid sliding down the inclines.  The actual bosses home would be on a cruise ship with snipers on each level and all sorts of madness.

As for the participants in the parade, you might have some new mutants be some kind of hybrid sea lion/shark/fish/whale/dolphin/human thingamajig that hide in the water waiting to strike passersby.

Then the survivors who made it through the Roze Prey course

It's not the Roze Prey Raid?

It is now!

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.