10/22/2010 Feature: "2011 Grand Prix Schedule Announced"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this Feature Article, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
No love for the Northeast... closest GP is in Pittsburgh or in Montreal. 
Guys, seriously. Locations within the US need City->State->Country, not just city+country.

No love for the Northeast... closest GP is in Pittsburgh or in Montreal.

Isn't Providence in the Northeast?  You're doing at least as well as the Southeast.

How come 10/21 events are Limited, but only 2/7 of the USA events are Limited?  Run more USA Limited events please, possibly 2HG!

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I know Vegas is not a Magic stronghold, but it is a "destination".  It has been a long time since WOTC has run a GP in Vegas and maybe 2012 it can get some love.  I know several years ago, I ran into a few MTG employees that were on there way to SD for an event.  This was in LV and they were playing poker.  I plan on getting back to Pittsburgh next year for the GP and visit friends and family, but it sure would be nice to get some of them to come here for an event!
I know Vegas is not a Magic stronghold, but it is a "destination".  It has been a long time since WOTC has run a GP in Vegas and maybe 2012 it can get some love.  I know several years ago, I ran into a few MTG employees that were on there way to SD for an event.  This was in LV and they were playing poker.  I plan on getting back to Pittsburgh next year for the GP and visit friends and family, but it sure would be nice to get some of them to come here for an event!

Maybe Wizards is afraid they'd lose too many more pro players to the poker scene!
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I'm so tired of all these limited GPs. I can play sealed/draft every week at FNM

How come 10/21 events are Limited, but only 2/7 of the USA events are Limited?  Run more USA Limited events please, possibly 2HG!

Meanwhile in Europe we only get one standard and no extended
GP London is the day after Prince William is getting married. If you are thinking of getting a hotel book now!
I asked wizards about this a couple of weeks ago, on whether it would be moved, or if it could be confirmed where in London the tournament would be sited.

Response:

Thank you for contacting us. It is very for Grand Prix events to be rescheduled and despite the royal wedding, it's likely that the dates will remain the same. However, keep an eye on the Daily MTG for any changes.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

My reply back: Any chance of letting us know WHERE in London it is then?

Thanks for writing back. Unfortunately, Game Support does not have any scheduling information about events other that what is listed on the Magic website.

We're sorry for any frustration this may have caused.

Looking at the accomodation situation at the moment, there are reasonably afforable hotels still about, they look to have come back down a bit after the price spiked on the day of the wedding announcement, but without confirmation of the venue, players can either wait and probably pay more than they need to, or book now and potentially be miles from the venue.

Would it be so bad to let the players know the venues for this and the other grand prix of 2011?
Dear Wizards,

In the worksafe words of Cee Lo Green: "forget you".
About GP in Santiago de Chile,

There's a group in FB in order to organise the best offers in hotels, tours and more. Look for Grand Prix Magic Santiago, Chile 22 - 23 Octubre 2011
Its kinda bull that the Legacy event is way on the east coast. I understand it makes it easier for the euro players, but I can not afford to do both this and worlds. 

BRING LEGACY BACK TO CHICAGO WHERE IT BELONGS! 
Sign In to post comments