10/21/2010 FtL: "'Crafty Combos"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I really liked the Splice onto Golem deck.  I think it is pretty interesting to have an untargeted spell be able to occur multiple times because it gains a part that targets.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
might be a dumb question, but i was just reading over the golem card and i noticed it doesn't specifiy what golems it refers to.  does that mean if you also have some lodestone golems or a darksteel collosus, any spells will also be copied onto them?
might be a dumb question, but i was just reading over the golem card and i noticed it doesn't specifiy what golems it refers to.  does that mean if you also have some lodestone golems or a darksteel collosus, any spells will also be copied onto them?

You are correct.  Any card or token with the creature type "Golem" will be affected by a spell that targets only it and the spell will be copied for each one.  Great for pump spells but murder if it is targeted by a removal spell.
Wow. Precursor Golem and Rite of Replication. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that. Not because I expect to immediately figure out great combos, of course, I'm not particularly good at that, but I've been paying a lot of attention to those two cards individually but... just never thought of putting them together.

So someone help me out here, how many golems would that make? Start out with a Precursor Golem and his two tokens out. Cast Rite of Replication, kicked, on the original. The Rite is copied and the two clones out already become 12, that's the easy part. Then you get five more Precursors, and each of them gives two more tokens for 10. So that's 28 3/3s, right? Did I miss a step?

On another note, previous columns this week also got me thinking about metalcraft, and something I noticed was that a lot of metalcraft creatures have flying. Three out of four blue creatures with metalcraft also have flying, as well as the Indomitable Archangel, and Snapsail Glider and Auriok Sunchaser gain flying with metalcraft; they would work well with Pentavus and Gravitational Shift or any effect like Stormtide Leviathan.

Another thing I came up with was a metalcraft tribal deck. Four of the metalcraft cards are Soldiers; you could add Sunspear Shikari and some Mirrodin Soldiers like Auriok Bladewarden, Auriok Glaivemaster, Auriok Steelshaper and Soldier Replica and a bunch of equipment and have a pretty good "Tin Soldiers" tribal deck.
Also, it's worth noting that Soul's Fire doesn't quite do what Abbott wants, because it targets something besides the single Golem.

I don't quite understand why this combo doesn't work. Doesn't Soul's Fire "Target a creature you control...", and I control a creature which is the golem right?
Also, it's worth noting that Soul's Fire doesn't quite do what Abbott wants, because it targets something besides the single Golem.

I don't quite understand why this combo doesn't work. Doesn't Soul's Fire "Target a creature you control...", and I control a creature which is the golem right?

Soul's Fire also targets an opposing creature or player giving it a grand total of two targets.  Precursor Golem specifically says that you need to target one and only one target.
Wow. Precursor Golem and Rite of Replication. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that. Not because I expect to immediately figure out great combos, of course, I'm not particularly good at that, but I've been paying a lot of attention to those two cards individually but... just never thought of putting them together.

So someone help me out here, how many golems would that make? Start out with a Precursor Golem and his two tokens out. Cast Rite of Replication, kicked, on the original. The Rite is copied and the two clones out already become 12, that's the easy part. Then you get five more Precursors, and each of them gives two more tokens for 10. So that's 28 3/3s, right? Did I miss a step?

I did this math immediately after I saw the spoiled card.. here was my post from the spoiler thread:

I'd love to see this with Rite of Replication.  Kicked.

Ho... ly... cow...

Assuming you only have this and his 2 tokens out, a total of 3 golems.. you get:

5 copies of golem token 1
5 copies of golem token 2
5 copies of golem #3, which then brings
10 more golem tokens

plus the original 3

You end up with 28 golems.

Then if you cast it again...

You start with 6 Precursor Golems (the original card and 5 copies) and 22 vanilla golem tokens.

110 new golem tokens off of the 22 vanilla tokens
30 new Precursor Golem tokens, bringing
60 new vanilla tokens.

But wait, there's more. Because we now have more than 1 Precursor Golem, in fact, 6, the spell also gets copied 5 more times. Note that these copied spells will resolve one at a time, but the targeting-all-golem-thing only happens when it is cast so these numbers won't be compounded by each spell resolving.

550 new golem tokens off of the 22 vanilla tokens
150 new Precursor Golem tokens, bringing
300 new vanilla tokens

Resulting in 1042 vanilla golem tokens and 186 Precursor Golems. And that's just for casting Rite of Replication kicked twice.

A third time...

Starting with 1042 vanilla and 186 Precursor Golems. Rite of Replication gets copied 186 times.

193,812 vanilla golem tokens
34,596 Precursor Golems bringing
69,192 new vanilla tokens.

Totalling 264,046 vanilla 3/3 golem tokens and 34,782 Precursor Golems.
That is 896,484 power worth of golems!!

And they still die to a single Lightning Bolt. Actually, they all get dealt 104,346 damage from a single Lightning Bolt. Until you cast Soul's Fire, Soul's Grace, to deal 31,181,506,488 damage, gain 31,181,506,488 life. Yes, that is 31 billion. Yes, that is over 9000.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I fell into the same trap of assuming Soul's Fire works, it doesn't.
Am I the only one who noticed that Path of Anger's Flame wouldn't work with Precursor Golem because it targets more than one Golem? I'm a little let down by that+Soul's Fire...So, two decks with rather useless cards?
Am I the only one who noticed that Path of Anger's Flame wouldn't work with Precursor Golem because it targets more than one Golem? I'm a little let down by that+Soul's Fire...So, two decks with rather useless cards?

Path of Anger's Flame doesn't target anything at all.  The spliced card does though, and since the spliced card adds its effect to Path of Anger's FlamePath of Anger's Flame gains a part that targets one and only one Golem.

For example.  You play  Path of Anger's Flame and splice Kodama's Might onto it.  When Path of Anger's Flame gets put on the stack, it now reads: "Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.  Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn."  You then have to choose a target for the "Target creature" part and you choose a Golem.  The Golem then copies the entire spell for each other Golem it could target and puts the copies on the stack.  When they resolve, your Golems each get +2/+2 and +2/+0 for each copy Path of Anger's Flame that resolved.
Thank you; I realized my mistake shortly after posting while I read the italicized rule text in an attempt to address my confusion. This is a stupid-powerful way to abuse the golem. I am considering throwing in some Arcbound Reclaimer - he gives me some recursion for whenever my golems do die. Also considered Leonin Abunas. What do you guys think of the noncreature portion of the splice deck? I kind of want to cut the Peer through Depths for the (1)(U) arcane bounce spell for some additional protection in a multiplayer environment, but that may be unecessary with the reclaimers, abunas, and blessed breath. Any responses to my ideas or suggestions for keeping the golem's safe in a MP environment?