DoTP community thread

383 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought it would be nice if we could have just one thread (this one!) where we, as a community on this part of the forum, could talk about whatever we liked, be it DoTP, Magic in general, or other things.

Just like anyone else I wouldn't want this forum covered in off-topic posts, but I figured that if it was all in one thread then it's not going to hurt anyone.

The thing is that I believe a lot of people here only come to this part of the forum, because it is the friendliest and most pleasant. So to be told to take our topic to another part of the forum defeats the object, because we specifically want to talk to our community here and not to the general people browing the entire forum.

I hope that would be OK with everyone? We could then chat as a group without worrying that we'll get spanked botties and frog marched off to where our mindless drivel should properly be posted in the forum. We often get off topic here and it's really enjoyable to go off at tangents and involve everyone in whatever strange discussions come up, and that can happen freely in this thread. I hope that the members here and moderators would be happy with this?

I would like to open the proceedings with something hilarious I've been concocting:

"Being based on history, the stages of the game are based on actual battles that actually took place in ancient Japan.

So here's this Giant Enemy Crab.

So what I'm gonna do is flip this crab on it's back, and attack it's weak point for massive damage."

[I guess I should explain what the heck that is about for those who haven't heard of the phenomena! Here's a link for you.]
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Any other Shinobi freaks here? I was pleased to find it on Xbox live recently, and I'm working on recording a hardcore speedrun. But the screen flickers when I used my camcorder on the telly, got to figure out some better way... I can record it to a video through my VCR and then plug that into the PC, I guess? Maybe my camcorder has an anti flicker setting.

Shinobi is amazing. It's 23 years old and I'm still playing it.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
I think it's a frames per second issue - if the camera and the tele are at the same fps setting, the flicker disappears.  Though it's been a long time (college) since I had any involvement with recording a monitor on camera, so I may be misremembering.
As I see, thanks, yeah that would make sense. My telly is not very good so it's probably about 1 frame per second ;)
Useful links:
Just use magic general for general magic topics, or the rec room for non-magic topics, that's what they're for.

I think the idea was that this was to be a general topic discussion thread for regular users of the DotP forum. 

Snarky.
Exactly, you miss the point Rudolf. If we post it there, we're not posting to our community here. I don't go to those sections and I'll bet not many people here do.
Useful links:
Here's my random contribution: I don't love Halo Reach like I want to.  I'm such the Halo fanboy, but I dislike most of the maps when in combination with the armor abilities (the size and scope of a lot of the maps aren't well suited for sprinting, for example, which shrinks the maps unnecessarily).  Hugely disappointing.  I'm still playing it a bunch, but it's going to get replaced as the disc in the box way sooner than Halo 3, which sat in there for almost 2 years, give or take a day or two.  I've been jumping into games of Monday Night Combat and Toy Soldiers (both done by local companies) when no Halo friends are on. 

Admission:

I've never played Halo: anything or CoD: anything online.

The video game I am most excited about is the revamped Ico and Shadow of the Colossus compilation for the PS3. 

I'm honestly shocked that it is happening.  I could see the God of War games being redone because they were money-makers.  Ico and Shadow of the Colossus were niche.  I'm not complaining, just pleasantly surprised!  It's not very often that $$$ are transcended by pixelated awesomeness.

*strolls in* Hello all!

First of all, approval on this thread (Y). Secondly, I am finding myself not so attached to Halo Reach as i was Halo 3... There aren't that many maps, and it isn't tremendously interesting. It is a very good game, i'm just finding it very samey and not so fun.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Two Worlds 2 has multiplayer?  That seems interesting...I think...
I've never played Halo: anything or CoD: anything online.

Me neither and that is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

The video game I am most excited about is the revamped Ico and Shadow of the Colossus compilation for the PS3.

Holy ****, looks like I'm gonna have to buy a PS3 after all...
Well, not to mention that The Last Guardian comes out next year as well.  So it's really a trifecta of games by Sony for me next year.
I'm glad to hear the community approves of the thread, thank you guys

I loved Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, they were amazing, atmospheric, original games. I haven't heard of them being remade, not coming to xbox then? Bums

I use a dvd and game rental service, where I have 2 at a time and as soon as I send one back I get another. I get through a lot of games, I try them out and if they stink they go straight back.

Recently I played Splinter Cell Conviction, I really enjoyed it, in fact the only Splinter Cell game I have ever liked. I found the rest tedious, not bad games, just unenjoyable to play. This one was a lot of fun. It feels kind of like a high-tech Manhunt (one of my all time favourite games!).

I also played The Saboteur, gave it a go despite the mediocre reviews. My conclusion is that they were too hard on it, I thought it was excellent. I clocked up over 60 hours of play before I sent it back. It's sort of like a cross between Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed. There is so much to do on it, and you often have a variety of approaches allowing for imaginative play for missions.

I like checking out demos on xbox live, not been that impressed recently, Enslaved felt rather boring. Fist of the North Star doesn't seem that great either. But Vanquish and The Force Unleashed 2 were good demos, I want to play those, and of course Dead Space 2, although no demo of that yet!

On my list of rentals I'm now waiting to play Alan Wake, Mafia 2 (worried that this got so so reviews...), Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Also really looking forward to Red Faction Armageddon as I adored RF:G, just so much fun, played it through countless time (even wrote a guide on how to better be a terrorist, haha!).

I've put a link in my signature to my marketplace thread, I'm selling the best cards I amassed over my magic career as I don't play paper Magic anymore. Includes several of the original dual lands such as Volcanic Island. If anyone is interested, please let me know!

I'd also like to hold a minute of silence for the death of a card that has gone from DoTP, perhaps forever. I don't know if we'll ever find out the real reason. Prince of Thralls, we hardly knew ye.

Useful links:
Maybe you guys would like to visit my brother's website.

He has samples of his music on there, he is very talented. Also if you scroll around the site there are all sorts of things to click on that link to funny stuff he has made.

Also he has made loads of podcasts. Warning: they contain extremely vulgar language and contraversial material, so don't listen if you're easily offended. But they are hilarious!

Also, here is my cousin's website, he is also a talented musician and has a band (called Eat More Cake).
Useful links:
No.  SotC and Ico will not come to Xbox. 

I agree about Splinter Cell.  The new one was much more playable than previous iterations.  I still wasn't sold into it entirely.  The story just didn't draw me in.

Dead Space 2 looks awesome.  The first was a great game.  It was much better than I thought it would be. 

Mafia 2 is playable.  It's really not too long a game and worth a space in your rental queue.  Alan Wake is fairly good too.  It's not really scary, but it has a good vibe.  I haven't re-played it yet, but I think it has a different ending when finished on the hardest difficulty.  So it is moderately replayable.

Red Dead Redemption was very good but also VERY long.  So be prepared to have a lot time wasted playing it.

And speaking of demos...I checked out the trial game version of Costume Quest in the XBLA library.  I thought it was decent.  I may purchase it at some point in the near future. 

On the flip-side the trial of Dream Chronicles was not good.  It is a Myst-type game but REAAAAALLLY boring.
Found this video this morning:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFKP2gIYD8c&feat...

...Kinda made me laugh.
I hate halo. I tried yet again with Reach, and had to trade it in again, for the exact same reasons as all the other halo mulitplayer: Weapon Pickups.

Every map turns into a mad dash to get the "power weapons" and then camp them. The players who don't do this are subject to the players who do, and even if you are insanely good at this game, you will still fall victim to someone who has a "power weapon" picked up off the map, unless they are horribly unskilled.

CoD is fun for me, because of the insane amount of "unlockable" stuff which makes it pretty much a roleplaying game to me. I don't need the "story" for my character, I make it up in my head as I play.

Anyone looking for a game to play... I suggest Fallout: New Vegas.

1. They fixed most of the problems with fallout 3.
2. Moral decisions are less "Blow up the bomb / don't blow up the bomb" and more "Save the murderers / help the slavers" in a very gray area.
3. Now ALL the skills/perks have a place in the game. Instead of like Fallout 3 where there was an OBVIOUS path to take in character building in order to ensure you were able to do everything.
4. The amount of content/quests in New Vegas eclipses Fallout 3, and that's not counting the already announced DLC packs.

And to end this rant...

Anyone here every play non-video-game roleplay games? I got sort of nostalgic for the old AOL and Compuserve chat rooms and message boards that were dedicated to roleplaying so I started working on  this:

rpghotel.proboards.com
I feel i have a lot of things left unexplained that everyone should be informed of about me.

This is what goes on in my head.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKB4h9gvmm0

Now, every post i have ever made will make much more sense.

As it is pie flavoured.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
It's been a long time since I did any pen and paper RPGs, though back in the day I did a ton.  I'm only commenting to note that a while back I saw a fascinating article about the use of Google Wave to do long distance RPG sessions and saw a video demonstrating it - worked pretty damn well.  Can't remember where I read it (maybe Mashable?).  Anyway, might be worth trying.
I used to do those "adventure books" by Jackson and Livingstone, they were kind of RPG-lite. The ones where you get choices and you turn to different pages depending on what you want to do. Most of them were virtually impossible to do without cheating! The battles involved dice rolling and stuff.
Useful links:
I used to do those "adventure books" by Jackson and Livingstone, they were kind of RPG-lite. The ones where you get choices and you turn to different pages depending on what you want to do. Most of them were virtually impossible to do without cheating! The battles involved dice rolling and stuff.

I very vaguely remember something like this. I think it was two books, one for each person or something. Tickling at the back of my memory... must have been when I was real young. I thought it was weird at the time, because of the dice. (Choose-your-own-adventure books didn't need dice, or another person to play!)

From there, I do remember playing DnD for the first time. Back when it came in a red or green box and was called "Dungeons And Dragons" (the first time).

I have as many fond memories of pen-and-paper roleplaying games as I do of wild parties with alcohol. (okay, in all fairness... I have some WAY BETTER memories of boozing, but also some WAY WORSE memories from boozing)

I just miss hanging out and being "creative" with my friends. Now everyone always has work/school/family/bills/taxes/stress/too-tired/too-busy/spouse/chores/housework/car-repairs/alien-abduction/etc. to do that's more important.

I want to share with you chaps probably the best deck I ever made, although it was closely based on a build someone sent to me. It was called "Fire, Steel and Ice", it was type II (standard) legal at the time, and although I never took it to a tournament it destroyed anything else put against it in playtesting. I don't know if I can remember the exact numbers, but here goes:

Land (24)

12 Island
8 Mountain
4 Reflecting Pool

Red (9)

4 Incinerate
2 Earthquake
1 Fireball
2 Hammer of Bogardan

Blue (20)

4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
3 Forbid
2 Dismiss
3 Whispers of the Muse
4 Impulse

Artifact (7)

4 Nevinyrral's Disk
3 Steel Golem

In the early game you use Incinerate, Counterspell, Earthquake and Force of Will if you're desperate, to dull the opponent's assault. Steel Golem comes down quickly as a good blocker, or a pounder if the opponent isn't up to much at that stage. You use any spare mana to use Impulse to find what you need, or race through your deck with Whispers.

If your opponent is ahead of you, you eventually hit 4 mana and lay down a Disk. You defend it with Force of Will, then blow it up to clear everything out.

Then you control the game with Forbid, when you get down to the last one start buying it back with whatever else cards you have. Once you hit 6+ mana, use Whispers with buyback whenever you can to build up cards (at the end of the opponent's turn of course). Also Dismiss will make your opponent cry with anguish as an alternate to Forbid once you have the mana and further rack up the cards ready for a longer Forbid lock-out.

Hammer of Bogardon acts as repeated threat removal, re-usable food for Forbid, and a win condition along with the Steel Golems and the occasional Fireball.

I never quite had all the cards so had to proxy a lot, but man was this a solid deck. I drove my mirror self to tears (I playtested against myself having no friends or life or anything like that).
Useful links:
I identified a new bug which I reported to Stainless. I've been sure something weird had been going on with this before, and I've finally worked it out:

Details:
I have found a problem with Grixis Battlemage's first ability, and Merfolk Looter's ability, which are essentially the same.

I activate their ability, which I like to do in the opponent's second main phase. Once it resolves, you draw a card and then are told to choose a card to discard. The problem is that the 'game timer' for the second main phase is silently decreasing while you're choosing which card to discard. It doesn't wait to start going down until you've chosen one, as it should. This means if you take more than about a second and a half over your choice, it will instantly be your turn after you've chosen, and you don't get to do anything else in that opponent's phase.

You can't see the timer going down, but I am certain this is what it's doing. I can reproduce it every time. It's the same in any phase, try using the ability and then picking a card after about half a second, you'll notice the blue timer is about halfway round instead of full. Then try activating it and taking say 5 seconds over your choice, you'll find by the time you get back to the play the phase is over.
Useful links:
I swear to whatever transcendent concept people hold dear, Stainless should just hire your ass, rob, for this and future Stainless games (assuming there are any).
That's very kind of you That's made my day!

They have given me a lot of thanks for the continued feedback, and said it helped them. To their credit they fixed a lot of bugs in the last patch off my checklist, including some no-one else would probably even care about... like being able to target Dispeller's Capsule with itself. The way they had it working was that costs were paid and then targets chosen, which is the incorrect sequence. This meant the Capsule went straight to the graveyard and then you have to chose a target and it's not available. Exactly the same problem with Royal Assassin, this time because it could target itself and shouldn't be able to with the correct rules sequence.

Virtually all the cards were the wrong way round, for example Prodigal Pyromancer tapped before targets were chosen. They listened to what I said (backed up by the rules of course!) and fixed every instance of this, you'll notice now targets are always chosen before costs are paid.

They only missed a few bugs overall that I had told them about. Sadly I have found quite a few more since the patch, and DLC2 introduced several of its own. I shall be interested to go through my new checklist to see how well they clear things up. It's nice to know they listen, and I'm confident they will fix at least most of them.

Edit: The question list for Microbless is an entirely different list, focused on design choices rather than straight up bugs and issues. This can only be handled by Wizards since Stainless don't have control over such things, they have to make it how Wizards say.
Useful links:
I swear to whatever transcendent concept people hold dear, Stainless should just hire your ass, rob, for this and future Stainless games (assuming there are any).

That

That

Agreed, That.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Thanks very much guys I appreciate it!

You know what the most pointless thing in the world is? Tenpin bowling commentary. All they ever say, indeed all there is to say, is "He'll be trying for a strike here..."

"Oh the opponent had an open frame, he'll be going for a strike here..."

"He wants to capitalise on his lead, he'll be going for a strike here..."

"If he wants to stay in this game he'll need to go for a strike here..."

"He really wants to try and hit just 8 pins this time! Just kidding, he'll be..."
Useful links:
So this guy said to me, "Losing your memory is the second sign of madness you know!"

I asked, "What's the first?"

He replied, "Uhm... I can't remember."

OK that was terrible, and I claim sole responsibility for it.
Useful links:
So this guy said to me, "Losing your memory is the second sign of madness you know!"

I asked, "What's the first?"

He replied, "Uhm... I can't remember."

OK that was terrible, and I claim sole responsibility for it.

pahahah. I was playing against merfolk today, but i kept his merfolk at bay ;)

He then tried a giant deck. Packed a punch, but really no thought behind it!

Finally, he tried vampires. I can tell you, the bark was considerably worse than the bite... however, i gritted my teeth and chewed through them ^_^

on another random note, I made a new deck today for Casual. I would like to ask all people in this thread... how many times do you think i will get punched in the face for using it?

On turn 1 or 2, I play Erayo, Soratami Ascendant (thanks for spelling check Rob xD) and then flip her either the same turn or the following turn (can all be done by turn 1). Turn after, i play arcane laboratory or i puddleduck for it using brainstorm, preordain or ponder. I can nearly always get the game locked down by my 4th turn. If not, i have a few small free creatures and evacuation (although that is fun AFTER erayo+arcane lab) and sphinx of jwar isle as a finisher. I played it yesterday and got Erayo flipped before they had their first turn. They scooped.

Thoughts?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
A guy in my weekly group plays a deck where if he goes first he can usually win on the first or second turn...and if he doesn't it kills him.

He basically uses brainstorm and hopes for black lotus or lotus petal and then plays either dark ritual or cabal ritual to play ad nauseum and then plays as many
ornithopters or other zero cost artifacts as possible while drawing tons of cheap cards.  Once he has enough cards to play in a single turn he saves enough mana from mana spells to cast tendrils of agony and kill.

Half the time he accidently kills himself drawing cards but usually what happens is he starts playing his turn and then appears to be able to pull the combo off and I and another guy start up a different game while he plays solitaire.  (we always make him finish the game alone as punishment for playing the deck).

haha
Hehe, way to pun it to the opponent.

So then I said to the guy, "You know, memory loss is the second sign of madness!"

He thought for a while, and then said, "What's the second?"

That sounds like a sickening combo. Your spelling was slightly out on the sickest part of it, so for everyone's convenience: Erayo, Soratami Ascendant.

Yeah to get that flipped turn 1 I guess all you need is 3 zero-cost things, one of which gives you a mana right away. I can see people getting pretty testy with that, without a Force of Will they are going to have serious trouble coming back from that. Orim's Chant could help you with that, if cast first, and will count as one of your 4 spells.

Just thought, but if you needed more spell lock-outs, there's Rule of Law and Ethersworn Canonist as well.

*mumble* I hate combo decks! Tongue out
Useful links:
I like the ethersworn canonist i use that in one of my decks. 

it's really good.
I want to build a deck around these two cards: 

maralen of the mornsong and leonin arbiter

I think it would be hilarious.
Hehe, way to pun it to the opponent.

So then I said to the guy, "You know, memory loss is the second sign of madness!"

He thought for a while, and then said, "What's the second?"

That sounds like a sickening combo. Your spelling was slightly out on the sickest part of it, so for everyone's convenience: Erayo, Soratami Ascendant.

Yeah to get that flipped turn 1 I guess all you need is 3 zero-cost things, one of which gives you a mana right away. I can see people getting pretty testy with that, without a Force of Will they are going to have serious trouble coming back from that. Orim's Chant could help you with that, if cast first, and will count as one of your 4 spells.

Just thought, but if you needed more spell lock-outs, there's Rule of Law and Ethersworn Canonist as well.

*mumble* I hate combo decks!

my original plan was indeed with the canonist, as a side 2HG to his artifact deck xD They all hate artifacts at my local casual, and they know he only plays them... I told them there would be a day when only artifacts will hit our casual table. They disagreed. My deck disagreed with their disagreement ;)

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Figured this was the place to post this, as I only post on the DotP board, and this is the community thread and all. ;)

It's been brought to my attention again that the way in which I post is, it appears, easily interpreted as being disrespectful.

So, I figured that for future reference I'll have a post to fall back on when I have to restate again that I don't mean to be offensive when I respond to someone else's post.

I tend to be very literal in the words I use and I, obviously, don't have a problem disagreeing.

I'm more the type of person that will express my disagreement because I have absolutely no problem with being corrected.

I'm also suffer from injuries and illness I recieved while in the military so I'm more often than not highly medicated. If I make a statement that can be "interpreted" two different ways, Its almost always meant with respect.

Unfortunately I can't use the tone of my voice to read my posts aloud... seriously who could take offense to someone drugged up on pain killers and anti-seizure medication reading to them?

{Read the following post as if you were Christopher Walken}

Your post...needs more parentheses.

I want you to really feel the parenthetical remarks flowing as you type.

{Read the following post as if you were Christopher Walken}

You post...needs more parentheses.

I want you to really feel the parenthetical remarks flowing as you type.

I have no idea why that was so funny, but I laughed really hard.
Figured this was the place to post this, as I only post on the DotP board, and this is the community thread and all. ;)

It's been brought to my attention again that the way in which I post is, it appears, easily interpreted as being disrespectful.

So, I figured that for future reference I'll have a post to fall back on when I have to restate again that I don't mean to be offensive when I respond to someone else's post.

I tend to be very literal in the words I use and I, obviously, don't have a problem disagreeing.

I'm more the type of person that will express my disagreement because I have absolutely no problem with being corrected.

I'm also suffer from injuries and illness I recieved while in the military so I'm more often than not highly medicated. If I make a statement that can be "interpreted" two different ways, Its almost always meant with respect.

Unfortunately I can't use the tone of my voice to read my posts aloud... seriously who could take offense to someone drugged up on pain killers and anti-seizure medication reading to them?

Sorry to hear of your condition Thank you for sharing with us.

To try to cheer everyone up, I have another stupid thing to say! I'd like to introduce you to a version of Magic I created. It's really simple, and can even be played on your own:

Think of Magic cards that complete, in an amusing way, the sentence, "Doctor, doctor, I've got a..."

Here are some to get you started! It's amazing how many there are.

Who can come up with funniest ones?

Useful links:
A nun asked me for some material to make a garment.

I said alright then, but don't make a habit of it!

Also, here's a little standard deck list I've been playing around with. I don't actually have hardly any of the cards so it's just a thought experiment. It'd need playtesting to see if it's actually any good. It's loosely based on a deck I was helping someone with. Anyhow, here it is:

Useful links:
Sign In to post comments