Felinoid Expert Power fix?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
As you are probably aware, the felinoid expert power has rules that it can be used at the end of a charge, even though charging isn't in the Gamma World version of the 4e rules. The easiest way to fix this is the insert charging... but I'm curious if there are any alternatives. I like keeping things self-contained if possible.

EDIT: I earlier complained it was complicated... but I was confusing it with 3E, where the charge rules were a fairly awkward hack, to be completely honest.
As you are probably aware, the felinoid expert power has rules that it can be used at the end of a charge, even though charging isn't in the Gamma World version of the 4e rules. The easiest way to fix this is the insert charging... but I'm curious if there are any alternatives. It's not the worst in that regard, but charging is kind of complex and messy for such a rules-light game.

Special: You can move your speed before using this power.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon

Yep, that's pretty much the same as the 4e charge rules, without having to actually port them in. I had confused them with the 3E charge rules, which were a bit of a mess.
As you are probably aware, the felinoid expert power has rules that it can be used at the end of a charge, even though charging isn't in the Gamma World version of the 4e rules. The easiest way to fix this is the insert charging... but I'm curious if there are any alternatives. It's not the worst in that regard, but charging is kind of complex and messy for such a rules-light game.

It's curios that they didn't do that as they did with the hawkoid expert power.
It's just WotC's patented poor editing. See [insert D&D book here].
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
It's just WotC's patented poor editing. See [insert D&D book here].

or (Page XX).

But I just assume unless it is contradicted in the rules for Gamma World (like Skills), than it works the same as in D&D.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
But I just assume unless it is contradicted in the rules for Gamma World (like Skills), than it works the same as in D&D.

Remember what happens when you assume...

It doesn't say anywhere in the rulebook to apply D&D rules if there are gaps or discrepancies in GW rules. The association between Gamma World and D&D is two-fold: (a) Recognition that GW is built on the 4e system; and (b) Marketing, so people think they're buying an extension fo D&D rather than an independent game. Past that, all indications are that GW is intended to stand on its own as far as the rules are concerned.

That leads me to believe the Felinoid Power is a typo rather than D&D "sneaking in."

Remember what happens when you assume...

It doesn't say anywhere in the rulebook to apply D&D rules if there are gaps or discrepancies in GW rules. The association between Gamma World and D&D is two-fold: (a) Recognition that GW is built on the 4e system; and (b) Marketing, so people think they're buying an extension fo D&D rather than an independent game. Past that, all indications are that GW is intended to stand on its own as far as the rules are concerned.

That leads me to believe the Felinoid Power is a typo rather than D&D "sneaking in."

True. But I think it's a sign that it was supposed to be there and the rules were left out for some reason. But you make a good point, and it means less stuff I have to have with me at the table. I can just add the movement to the power as an option as someone suggested.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
It doesn't say anywhere in the rulebook to apply D&D rules if there are gaps or discrepancies in GW rules.

I think its pretty presumptuous to call an entire line of a power a typo. Whoever wrote clearly knew that you make basic attacks as part of a charge, or else he wouldn't have put that in there in the first place.  And it must have been deliberately written, because, there are no powers that do the same thing as this one, so its not like it was a copy/paste/reflavor error. If it was, them you could get away with claiming its a typo.

Instea, because it was written deliberately, its far more likely that someone just forgot that charges and melee basic attacks werent making it into the rules. After all, the line is the standard one for adding in the ability to use a power as part of charge for 4E.

The rules might not say to refer back to 4E handbooks, but they DO say "Games Rules based on the 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons games rules" on page 2. If its based on a system, and they are using terms defined in that system, and do not re-define those terms, I think its pretty safe to say that its a case of rules terms 'accidentally sneaking in'.
Instea, because it was written deliberately, its far more likely that someone just forgot that charges and melee basic attacks werent making it into the rules. After all, the line is the standard one for adding in the ability to use a power as part of charge for 4E.

That's what I meant when I said "typo."
The rules might not say to refer back to 4E handbooks, but they DO say "Games Rules based on the 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons games rules" on page 2. If its based on a system, and they are using terms defined in that system, and do not re-define those terms, I think its pretty safe to say that its a case of rules terms 'accidentally sneaking in'.

I take your point, but I don't think that little blurb on the Credits page is going to convince anyone.

Imagine that the writers of GW intended for D&D rules to fill in the gaps. They could have made that point in one simple sentence, either in the introduction or rules sections of the rulebook. Alternatively, they could have added a "For Use With..." blurb, like on the back of most D&D supplements. There is no indication that knowledge of D&D rules is necessary to play this game. Your assumption that we're supposed to sub in D&D's charge rules neglects the players who don't come to the table with that hard-wired knowledge.

Your assumption that we're supposed to sub in D&D's charge rules neglects the players who don't come to the table with that hard-wired knowledge.

Did I *say* that we were supposed to sub in rules from it? Don't put words in my mouth, I said no such thing.

What I did was point out that this so called 'typo' is not a typo, because it was clearly put there on purpose. Rather, it is an artefact left over from the design process, most likely because it was either crafted before the decision to cut Charges was made, or because the author simply forgot. Thus, it is a case of 'accidentally sneaking in' a keyword that is defined in D&D, but not in GW.

Typo

–noun
an error in printed or typewritten matter resulting from striking the improper key of a keyboard, from mechanical failure, or the like.