GW Core box set

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the GW box set?

I like it, the rule book is nicely done; the game mechanics are simple and easy to understand (especially if you're familiar with 4EDnD); I like the fact that they gave you a booster pack - though maybe two would have been nicer; however,the character sheets should have been single sided and maybe a pad of them - you know like the old school pads that have that gummy rubber up top to make it easy to peel off, the second side could have been for notes or something; not for two characters on one sheet. Over all I think they could have spent a bit less on the packaging and a bit more on the contents.

What do you guys think?
Ya, I don't like them messing around with the size of the product. They don't give you enough of the the character sheets, so your going to have to make copies. You have all that extra space on the copies and then a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet won't fit in the box. I wish they made the back of the two card types different colors so they would be easier to separate into each deck. I wish they made the Monster tokens like the PC's, so you can just flip them or to show when thier bloodied. There's not enough of the monsters, some of the gameday adventure asks for 5 of one type of monster and there's only 4.

Overall, I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Hopefully, they'll put the character sheet up as a PDF, or better yet redesign it so it doesn't waste so much space.
Character sheet is indeed up as a PDF, check the forum here (I don't have link atm).

I agree with the Alpha and Omega backs (heee) would make it easier and since they make two distinct decks, why give them the same back?

The box is crap, but overall the rest is cool.

The character sheet limit of 4 was stupid, especially since there are 2 per sheet (front and back). So you could have 8 characters, but only 4 players.
I like it, the rule book is nicely done; the game mechanics are simple and easy to understand (especially if you're familiar with 4EDnD); I like the fact that they gave you a booster pack - though maybe two would have been nicer; however,the character sheets should have been single sided and maybe a pad of them - you know like the old school pads that have that gummy rubber up top to make it easy to peel off, the second side could have been for notes or something; not for two characters on one sheet. Over all I think they could have spent a bit less on the packaging and a bit more on the contents.

What do you guys think?

I definitely agree on the character sheets.  Maybe, these days, you're expected to print out character sheets?

The original Gamma World was a boxed set, of course.  wink.gif   This time around the box is a little inconvenient on two points.  1) it's wasteful packaging, being far, far larger than it needs to be (it's about 10.5x10.5x3") to hold one rather small book and a deck of cards.  2) at the same time, if it were just a /little/ longer along one dimension, you'd be able to put standard size sheets of paper - like, oh, the Game Day materials - in it, making use of some of that wasted space. 

I'm not liking the CCG aspect, myself, though I suppose it only becomes problematic if you have some players who want to delve into it heavily and others who don't want anything to do with it, at all.  Then, you have to try to reach some kind of consensus - or just make a decision as GM, how you want to run the game, and accept that you might dissapoint someone.

On the positive side, whether you use boosters or just the DM deck, the card mechanic lends itself to easy modification that you could use to customize the game to your DMing preferences.  For instance, if you want reduce the whackiness, you could inject some consistency by using Alpha player decks with just a few cards, and not having Alpha Flux (or at least, not having often), giving PCs a much more stable set of mutations, much like the older versions of the game.  Or, you could do away with random draws from the Omega decks, entirely, with the DM simply picking out cards and giving them as treasure.  You could also do things to make the game even more random - like collecting a bunch of boosters together into communal Alpha and Omega 'player decks,' or having 'sealed booster sessions' where everyone just buys a pack or two, and those become his player decks.

So, I quite like the idea of cards, just not the idea of selling them in blind/random boosters.  (Though, with the contents of all 120 cards already posted on-line, I guess I can't complain too loudly - I have the content, I didn't have to sort through boosters to get it.).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

While I like the game rules, I was very disappointed with the boxed set.  Price isn't something I harp about with RPGs but this time I thought GW was way overpriced for what you get.

My biggest qualm was the rulebook.  I hate paperback rulebooks for their poorer quality.  And compared to other WotC products you get a lot less content for a lot more cost.  It's about the same page size but half of the page count of Heroes of the Fallen Lands--which is $20 less.  (I understand that the GW boxed set includes the other stuff but putting them aside, it's a vast gap between the rulebooks themselves.)

The poster battlemaps, character sheets, and creature markers would have been great if they were free but don't seem to greatly enhance gameplay for whatever extra cost they pose.

And I like how the cards can be used in the game but I dislike that the boosters are randomized.  I would much rather have paid for full expansion card decks.

While I like the game rules, I was very disappointed with the boxed set.  Price isn't something I harp about with RPGs but this time I thought GW was way overpriced for what you get.

I agree to this. I usually don't harp on the price too much except lately for the minis...buts that's another topic at another time. GW was a bit overpriced; it seems they spent too much attention on presentation (i.e. the box) instead of it's contents, why was the box so thick? They could have packaged it in a box the size of the original 4e starter kit and make the box a bit mor sturdy.

My biggest qualm was the rulebook.  I hate paperback rulebooks for their poorer quality.  And compared to other WotC products you get a lot less content for a lot more cost.  It's about the same page size but halfof the page count of Heroes of the Fallen Lands--which is $20 less.  (I understand that the GW boxed set includes the other stuff but putting them aside, it's a vast gap between the rulebooks themselves.)

I actually thought for GW at least that the rule box was nicely done and the contents on how to play the game were superb and even funny in places; it didn't have that regimented feel to it like standard RPGs. I don't care for the digest size books either for DnD, but I do understand what they are doing for marketing as well as cutting costs for themselves. 

The poster battle maps, character sheets, and creature markers would have been great if they were free but don't seem to greatly enhance game play for whatever extra cost they pose.

I also don't believe that they cost reflects the contents either, if they were going to charge as much as they did, again I say they should have given us a pad of character sheets instead four (4) double sided ones....maybe they will surprise us all and add a GW option in the character builder and that's why they are taking so long to update the info for the Essentials line and Dark Sun stuff......naaaah.

And I like how the cards can be used in the game but I dislike that the boosters are randomized.  I would much rather have paid for full expansion card decks.

100% AGREE!

My biggest qualm was the rulebook.  I hate paperback rulebooks for their poorer quality.  And compared to other WotC products you get a lot less content for a lot more cost.  It's about the same page size but half of the page count of Heroes of the Fallen Lands--which is $20 less.  (I understand that the GW boxed set includes the other stuff but putting them aside, it's a vast gap between the rulebooks themselves.)

The poster battlemaps, character sheets, and creature markers would have been great if they were free but don't seem to greatly enhance gameplay for whatever extra cost they pose.

Knowing how the cards are prices at MSRP (.50/ea) the box itself is actually a good price.  You get 160 page book (savage worlds is $10 for the same page count), so I am guessing $10 there.  You get 80 cards so thats $40 at price.  Plus tokens and a Map $5 and a Free booster $4.  So you get almost $60 for $40.    But if we look at it from the cheaper angle.  Boosters can be found on the internet for $2.80/ea  which makes each card .33/ea.  So $10 book, $26 in GM deck, Map and token $5 and $2.80 for the free booster is just over $40, so I see it as a fair price even in the internet markdown stage.

Notice I didn't put the character sheets in the price as I see them as a waste of paper - horrible in design.

Knowing how the cards are prices at MSRP (.50/ea) the box itself is actually a good price.  You get 160 page book (savage worlds is $10 for the same page count), so I am guessing $10 there.  You get 80 cards so thats $40 at price.  Plus tokens and a Map $5 and a Free booster $4.  So you get almost $60 for $40.    But if we look at it from the cheaper angle.  Boosters can be found on the internet for $2.80/ea  which makes each card .33/ea.  So $10 book, $26 in GM deck, Map and token $5 and $2.80 for the free booster is just over $40, so I see it as a fair price even in the internet markdown stage.

I guess if you break it down that way, I suppose it makes sense...hey wait, to you work for WotC??? LOL

Notice I didn't put the character sheets in the price as I see them as a waste of paper - horrible in design.

Yup, yup!

I guess if you break it down that way, I suppose it makes sense...hey wait, to you work for WotC??? LOL

Ahh, fortunately, no.
Too bad. I  (along with 1,000's of others) would love to work for them! If anythign to get paid to play DnD and receive those cool holiday employee mini's that sell for hundreds on ebay LOL.
Knowing how the cards are prices at MSRP (.50/ea) the box itself is actually a good price.  You get 160 page book (savage worlds is $10 for the same page count), so I am guessing $10 there.

Agreed.

You get 80 cards so thats $40 at price.

Maybe it's not an ideal comparison but comparing GW cards to other WotC cards, you can get the a Magic the Gathering Intro Pack with 60 cards and a booster of 15, for only $10.

Notice I didn't put the character sheets in the price as I see them as a waste of paper

That's what I'd say to the maps and tokens too.

So to me it's like you get almost $20 worth of stuff for $40.  (And I'm not trying to quarrel or say you're wrong.  That was just the impression I was left with using my flawed parallels.)
Yeah, I totally understand the point about the cards being way overpriced for what you get.
Magic Cards you get pretty art and all the rules for a lot less money. 
I seriously see WotC going the route of Games Workshop, which it comes to the price of things.   Games Workshop makes the models you ever only need, or can use, one of, the most expensive.  So if you can only have one General in your army, that model is the most expensive vs. the same amount of metal/plastic for a figure you can have an unlimited amount of.   

Here I see WotC saying, we are only going to do one set of cards (unless this takes off), and at most people will buy a pair of boosters (unless they are completionists).  They are asking how can we make our money off this - where as with Magic they know they have projections of how much each set will sell, with this, they are asking and seeing what transpires.

Personally I hope they see the general comments that the price is too high and when they do this for D&D next year they bring the price down to a more reasonable per card cost.
Personally I hope they see the general comments that the price is too high and when they do this for D&D next year they bring the price down to a more reasonable per card cost.

That would be nice.  Or a non-random deck.  I would definitely pay their 50 cents per card for the entire 120 booster cards.
What I like:
1) The light version of the rules. You can bring in D&D 4e stuff if you want or you can just make a ruling or a house rule. It gave me the original D&D rules feel.
2) How ammo is handled.
3) Having alpha powers and omega tech on cards.
4) Character origin traits and powers.
5) A box to carry your tokens and cards.

What I dislike:
1) The character sheets are next to useless. They don't have room for all the info needed. They could have used the backside for more info.
2) The collectible cards sets. I would have prefered to be able to purchase the cards wanted as a set. For example, a Bio set, Psi set and a Dark set; as well as the omega cards done the same
3) Explanations of the world or dimensions that comprise Gamma Terra are skimpy.
4) It would have been great to have the origin powers on cards.
5) The player deck build rules. I would have liked a further limit of having to take 2 commons for every uncommon and 2 uncommons for every rare.
3) Explanations of the world or dimensions that comprise Gamma Terra are skimpy.

Quite the understatement.

There's one page of setting, the first page of the book. Cryptic Alliances got 1 sentence each. And we got zero -- nothing -- about Xi, Ishtar, or any of the other worldlines.

Wizards did not exactly break their back doing any world-building in this project.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I'm actually thinking about running RIFTS using the GW rules, just using the setting and such. In this instance, the Coalition is behind Genetic Purity, Tolkeen could be any hodge-podge group of mutants, etc.

RIFTS has a nice postapoc setting written up and I think GW fits that setting nicely (with the whole worldlines deal and everything). Using the idea that earth has magic as well may allow for spellcasting or rituals to make their GW appearance as well.

It was either RIFTS or Fallout 3 one way or the other...heh heh heh
It was either RIFTS or Fallout 3 one way or the other...heh heh heh

I'd definitely run mine with a Fallout dynamic to it!
One of the things I was thinking about doing was assigning Cryptic Alliance mods to actions the PCs take and updating a table showing how much each alliance likes or hates a PC. Thought it might add some interesting dynamics if G.P. assassins start showing up after a time because the PCs have thwarted their efforts too often.

I got the idea from the Baldur's Gate series and Morrowind.
You will get Cryptic Alliance cards in "Fame in Far-Go." We don't know what their effect will be, but presumably there is one. My guess it that players draw a random Cryptic Alliance card each session, but I don't know if we're talking about a power, a constant trait, a piece of equipment, or maybe any of the above.

In the house GW campaign run at Wizards, the GM made up a table of backgrounds which incorporated all the Alliances and gave each player a reason to be in the adventure. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I plan on using it as a faction system that the PCs will not be fully privvy to and I'll be able to give NPCs different reactions to the party based on their "alliance factors".

Thus, if overall, the PCs are in favor with C.A. A, and the NPCs dislike those who are in league with C.A. A, I can run the NPCs as if they were belligerent, refuse the PCs service, stuff like that.
You know, it occurs to me that the only way to get the 1-80 set is to buy the boxed sets. So there won't be many duplicates of those.

It might be worth it, honestly, to buy up a number of boxes and then sell the cards individually in a few months. How else could someone get a dupe, I ask you?
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
As others have said the $40 price tag is a little much.  I am glad I got mine for $25 through Amazon.  Even $25 seems a little high, but I can live wth it.

I just got mine in the mail and so far a really like the 4e lite feel of it.  It would be great to run some 4e characters through some Gamma world adventures.  Combining GW and 4e could get you a Thundarr the Barbarian-type setting.  Some good possibilities here.

The box is strangly proportioned.  I don't mind the extra deep box since future supplemnt stuff can be stored in it later, but regular letter sized paper should fit in the box.  That seems like a strange decision.  I have really looked through the maps and character sheets yet.  I use minis so I don't care much about the tokens.

Speaking of minis it would be great if WotC did a special GW mini set, but I know I am dreaming here.  I will have to see which of my D&D/SW minis will work for GW.

Any Edition

As others have said the $40 price tag is a little much.  I am glad I got mine for $25 through Amazon.  Even $25 seems a little high, but I can live wth it.

Really? The price seems about right to me, honestly. (I paid $40 and got it when it was first available.)

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

Really? The price seems about right to me, honestly. (I paid $40 and got it when it was first available.)

Meh, to each his (or her) own.  I would have been disappointed if I had paid $40. I do like the game at first glance though.

Any Edition

$40 is too much for what we get materially. Personally, I think we're paying nostalgia tax here.

The game itself looks rather fun. I haven't played yet though.
Meh, to each his (or her) own.  I would have been disappointed if I had paid $40. I do like the game at first glance though.

I know it was!

You know, it occurs to me that the only way to get the 1-80 set is to buy the boxed sets. So there won't be many duplicates of those.

It might be worth it, honestly, to buy up a number of boxes and then sell the cards individually in a few months. How else could someone get a dupe, I ask you?

Make up a dupe on your word processor, print it off, and put it in a card sleeve so it matches the rest of your cards?

Buying cards in boosters comes to 50 cents a card.  40 bucks for a set of 80 cards... 50 cents a card. 

Either the boosters are a rip off or the box set is a steal.  ;)

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

For $40, it should have included a set of dice.
Even the same crap ones in the Red Box, but there should have been SOMETHING.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

Day-glow 'radioactive' green dice with purple numbers would have been apropriate, no?

Ya, I don't like them messing around with the size of the product. They don't give you enough of the the character sheets, so your going to have to make copies. You have all that extra space on the copies and then a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet won't fit in the box. I wish they made the back of the two card types different colors so they would be easier to separate into each deck. I wish they made the Monster tokens like the PC's, so you can just flip them or to show when thier bloodied. There's not enough of the monsters, some of the gameday adventure asks for 5 of one type of monster and there's only 4.

Totally agree with all of this.

The monster tokens not having a bloodied side was a pain runing the Game Day. Not having enough tokens to represent all the critters was a pain. However, the quality of the tokens was excellent, so points there.

On a positive note the cards were a big hit, and they played better than I thought they would. The randomly changing powers meant the characters were new and shiny for the players each encounter, which really kept them excited about playing. Overall I think the game is great.
Radioactive dice would have made the buyer feel that their money was well spent.
Radioactive dice would have made the buyer feel that their money was well spent.

I agree.  These would have been wonderful.
Especially if the dice had an alpha flux icon on the 1.