The Problem with Pyrokinetics

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Fiery Aura (Level 1): Whenever a creature ends its turn adjacent to you, it takes 5 fire damage."

Here's the problem: This applies to any creature (including allies) and it doesn't say you can turn this off if you want to anywhere in the rules.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

"Fiery Aura (Level 1): Whenever a creature ends its turn adjacent to you, it takes 5 fire damage."

Here's the problem: This applies to any creature (including allies) and it doesn't say you can turn this off if you want to anywhere in the rules.

That makes sense if you go by the definition. I mean sure it's annoying but not a true bug.
Which means his Plant ally is never going to get close... Hope the plant isn't the healer.
Whenever I come up to a hole in the rules fir Gamma World, I ususally default to D&D rules, and in there, at least, creatures with auras can switch them off an on as minor actions.
Be careful about trying to stabilize your aliies ;P
I would bet that this gets changed to "enemies" in the first round of errata (along with typos, the Felinoid charge power, and some missing/superfluous keywords).
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
Yep, there was a pyrokinetic in the playtest I ran, and we immediately noticed that little jem.  I ruled that it only aplied in combat.  It is stated as happening at the end of a turn, and turns only happen in combat. (Yay technicalities.) 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Yeah, I'm with tallyrand on this one. 4E to the rescue.

"A creature can deactivate or reactivate its aura as a minor action." In this case, MM3, p8. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I see this as a feature, not a bug. If you're going to play with fire, you're going to get burned.
I've gone through the rules a few times and feel that anytime they say "creatures" they are talking about enemies. If they are referring to party members they specifically say "allies" including "you are not an ally". At least I can't find anything in the rules that specifically states that creatures include allies. There are plenty of burst or blast powers that likewise state "creatures" but some don't make sense if creatures was meant to include allies as well.
I've gone through the rules a few times and feel that anytime they say "creatures" they are talking about enemies. If they are referring to party members they specifically say "allies" including "you are not an ally". At least I can't find anything in the rules that specifically states that creatures include allies. There are plenty of burst or blast powers that likewise state "creatures" but some don't make sense if creatures was meant to include allies as well.

Well in normal 4th edition rules (which this is based off) targets break down into 4 catagories, 3 of whitch are self explanitory:
Yourself
Allies
Enemies
Creatures- this include both enemies and allies. It is used as a way to balance blasts and bursts, they get to deal more damage if they risk hitting opponents.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

I thought creatures included both allies and enemies.
Page 26:

"Creatures or enemies: If a power targets creatures, it affects both your allies and your enemies. If it targets enemies, it doesn't hurt any of your allies. Enemies include anything that isn't your ally, whether it's hostile to you or not."

Creatures are everyone, just like they've always been.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
thank you for that. I completely missed it. Well, looks like my Pyrokinetic just became A LOT less popular!!
thank you for that. I completely missed it. Well, looks like my Pyrokinetic just became A LOT less popular!!

Well, since the pyro attacks don't require you to get up in a melee knot with your allies, might a suggest a gun?

I've gone through the rules a few times and feel that anytime they say "creatures" they are talking about enemies.

Never make assumptions about that. Terminology in RPGs these days is extremely explicit and precise.

If "creatures" was intended to mean "enemies", then they would never have, for instance, the Hawkoid's power affect creatures, while the Plant affects "enemies". Using different words for the same thing is bad design, bad writing, bad editing and more.

The fact the pyro's aura does damage to allies is perfectly logical - it's ON FIRE. And being close to a fire hurts. It's not a directed attack, those aren't represented by auras. 
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

Boo Hoo

I am in agreement with others here though, that it is in fact an aura power and can be turned off on your turn with a minor action. It doesn't say so in the write-up, but also doesn't list those powers as proper powers either (booo). However the general rule for aura's should cover it. Agree that we need eratta to clarify.

But as battles alluded to, why would you? It's only adjacent squares and you can still use ranged for most things.

Of course I forgot to mention that another party member is Plant which is why it's kind of a big deal for us. lol... 10HP every round adds up quickly.
Just don't stand next to the plant.

Or the marshmallow man.
Just don't stand next to the plant.

Or the marshmallow man.

Why? That way the marshmallow man gets an exoskeleton. Plus some people like burnt marshmallows.
There is a rule in the Monsters section of the Gamma World rule book (page 105) that makes note of the fact that a monster can turn their aura on or off with a Minor Action. Obviously by RAW, this doesn't give a PC the same ability, but it seems to me to be in about the same category as allowing Charging et al as combat maneuvers.

That said, I kind of enjoy the idea of a Pyrokinetic that's just on fire all the time.
Every desert is Flambe, and all the drinks are hot.
There is a rule in the Monsters section of the Gamma World rule book (page 105) that makes note of the fact that a monster can turn their aura on or off with a Minor Action. Obviously by RAW, this doesn't give a PC the same ability, but it seems to me to be in about the same category as allowing Charging et al as combat maneuvers.

That said, I kind of enjoy the idea of a Pyrokinetic that's just on fire all the time.

My DM just made me roll up my character, and I am a Pyrokinetic; Mind Breaker. I have a horse that I can't touch, I mean out of battle I can't be close to anyone or they start to burn. My character is mainly ranged anyway so i don't care about it in battle, but when trying to interact with people it's frustrating.

Every desert is Flambe, and all the drinks are hot.

Actually that wouldn't happen, the aura is only creatures so no damage to anything else which is good because that would mean no weapons, artifacts or anything else. Which would make eating and drinking a pain if not impossible.

Well the 4e rules are pretty specific, allies are allies, enemies are enemies are and creatures are anyone of those.  In other words if a power only targets enemies it will say exactly that.
I'd say throw this question out onto the Gamma World Rules forum

Can Pyrokenetic Origin players disable their Fiery Aura like other creatures (page 105 for rules for Aura for creatures).  

Personally if critters can do it, so can PCs.
I'd say throw this question out onto the Gamma World Rules forum

Can Pyrokenetic Origin players disable their Fiery Aura like other creatures (page 105 for rules for Aura for creatures).  

Personally if critters can do it, so can PCs.

You'd have to house-rule it, because it's unclear. In my opinion, I think it's something pyros just have to deal with. Mutations aren't all good. Plants have fire vulnerability, and one of the other origins has a –1 to speed. So, IMO, if you get one of those origins, you have to learn how to deal with the drawbacks. (Or just figure out a way to die quickly and get a new character.)

Captain technicality to the rescue, again...

Fiery Aura says "Whenever a creature ends its turn adjacent to you," you burn it.

Turns only happen in combat, when there's no initiative counts, there are no turns being started or ended, so people can stand next to you, no problem.  Out of combat, you should be able to interact with people normally.  Maybe the Fiery Aura only happens in the tense situations like combat - an adrenal thing?  For RP purposes, you might occassionally burn someone out of combat when you're startled or nervous or something.

You and a mount share a space, so your mount is not technically 'adjacent' to you (be careful with this one, because a swarm can also occupy your space!  you'll probably want to argue that's 'adjacent'), and a mount does not have it's own initiative count or turn, it ends its movement at the end of /your/ turn, not its turn.  So, again, the 'ends its turn' technicality might let you ride a mount, even in combat (though, really, read the entry for the horse, you don't ever want to ride in combat).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

(Or just figure out a way to die quickly and get a new character.)

Attacking your team mates always works plus if your lucky you can take one of them out with you. Innocent
Attacking your team mates always works plus if your lucky you can take one of them out with you. Innocent

Amen. I'm used to LFR, where you have to ask your ally to attack them.  Screw that. I hate babies and bathwater equally.*

*The post does not necessary reflect my opinion of babies. No babies were harmed in the writing of this post.

*The post does not necessary reflect my opinion of babies. No babies were harmed in the writing of this post.

I however can NEVER give such an assurance.

(Towards puppies anyways, I just look at babies and laugh at there stupidity, HA HA stupid baby.)

CHUCK NORRIS : I have hacked into to this post to let you know that Cool!!!BADU777!!!Cool doesn't hate puppies or laugh at babies, This was just a prank from me and I apologize. 

(There Badu I said I was sorry please don't hurt me.)

(Yes I just said I was better than Chuck Norris if I don't post anything in a while it means he killed me. And if I post something later it is because I have come back from the dead as a zombie.)