Alpha Flux Terrain

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I don't have the rules yet, but I get to live in paradise, its a trade off.  Does terrain go through alpha flux, in other words does the terrain change randomly?  Is it in the rules?  If not, what do others think of the idea.  How would a Dm pull off such a terrain effect?  Any ideas?
There's nothing about morphing terrain.

It is implied that PCs are exceptional, and able to "tune in" to alternate universe selves with different powers (Alpha Mutations), but the general impression is that the world is relatively stable.

Mind you, there's nothing saying you can't have morphing terrain. 
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
There isn't anything about it in the rules, but I am thinking of doing something like just that once I get some ideas & time.
There is Alpha Flux in the game - but it applies only to the PCs.  Basically any time a PC rolls a 1, doing anything (be it a skill test, overcharging, attacking) during an encounters (page 67), they suffer alpha-flux.  After completing the current action and its all resolved you pick one of your Alpha-mutations, used or not and discard it.  Then you draw a new card from the GM's deck (not your own) and put it into a readied state (meaning untapped and face-up in front of you).

Now there is terrain that will increase the odds of Alpha Flux (Beta-moss makes alpha-flux occur on a 5 or less) and there are monsters that cause Alpha-Flux to increase with their aura (Blaash/Gama Moth).

So to your point, about Terrain Morphing/Alpha-fluxing.  I would say a reversed mechanic could certainly work, any-time the DM rolls a 1 the terrain changes. 

There is a good sized list of some odd terrain on pages 98 and 99 - one is called the Gamma Flux Zone where "reality" has not yet stabilized, but the terrain does not change, only the odds of the PCs suffering an Alpha Flux on a 5 or less.

Theta Flux Zone: Similar to a Gamma Flux Zone, a Theta Flux Zone is a region of Gamma Terra where the worldlines still fluctuate. Within a Theta Flux Zone, creatures are safe from Alpha flux but the terrain is malleable and reacts to their presence. The following triggered action applies whenever any creature is within a Theta Flux Zone:

Theta Flux Event * At-Will
Trigger: A creature rolls a natural 1 on any d20 check while within a Theta Flux Zone.
Effect (Opportunity Action): Each unoccupied space adjacent to the triggering creature (including blocking terrain) experiences Theta Flux until the end of the triggering creature's next turn. Roll 1d8 for the effect:
1 - The squares become normal terrain.
2 - The squares become difficult terrain.
3 - The squares become blocking terrain.
4 - The squares become challenging terrain, requiring a moderate Athletics or Acrobatics check to move through. On a failed check, a creature is slowed until the start of its next.
5 - The squares become hindering terrain that inflicts 5 points of radiation and electricity damage on any creature entering it or starting their turn within it.
6 - The squares become lightly obscured.
7 - The squares become heavily obscured.
8 - The squares become a time-space fracture (see page 99 of the D&D Gamma World Rulebook).
Special: The triggering creature does not experience an Alpha flux event.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Adventurers League Local Coordinator, Los Angeles area (AL FAQ here!)

Looking for gamers in Lake Arrowhead, CA area!

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Adventures League Characters (click for list)
Adventurers League Characters: (can you tell I like making new characters?)
  • Oraibi Jhannivvar (human noble devotion paladin of Siamorphe, level 9) and Golden Dawn (celestial warhorse); NG, Lords' Alliance
  • Ninkasi the Ale-Nun (human guild artisan life cleric of Chantea, level 7); NG, Harpers
  • Bacavi Jhannivvar (human sage arcane trickster/cleric of Tymora, level 4/2) and Teddy (cat familiar); CG, Lords' Alliance, Cloaks
  • Alcyone Pleiades (air genasi sailor conjuration wizard, level 4) and Buster (crab familiar); TN, Harpers, Cloaks
  • Rhythm (tiefling entertainer bard, is a dancer, level 3); NG, Harpers
  • Onyx Crystalfist (svirfneblin Earthspur miner Underdark land druid, level 3); NG, Emerald Enclave
  • Verdigris (copper dragonborn gladiator beastmaster ranger, level 3) and Heqet (giant frog); NG, Emerald Enclave
  • Niran Wishcrafter (fire genasi charlatan chaos sorcerer, level 2) a.k.a. "Madame Vessa" (human fortune teller); CN, Zhentarim
  • Claráin Coppervault (mountain dwarf guild artisan abjuration wizard, level 2) and Julius (cave octopus familiar); LG, Harpers

Now that I like.  Well done Oraibi.

Theta Flux Zone: Similar to a Gamma Flux Zone, a Theta Flux Zone is a region of Gamma Terra where the worldlines still fluctuate. Within a Theta Flux Zone, creatures are safe from Alpha flux but the terrain is malleable and reacts to their presence. The following triggered action applies whenever any creature is within a Theta Flux Zone:

Theta Flux Event * At-Will
Trigger: A creature rolls a natural 1 on any d20 check while within a Theta Flux Zone.
Effect (Opportunity Action): Each unoccupied space adjacent to the triggering creature (including blocking terrain) experiences Theta Flux until the end of the triggering creature's next turn. Roll 1d8 for the effect:
1 - The squares become normal terrain.
2 - The squares become difficult terrain.
3 - The squares become blocking terrain.
4 - The squares become challenging terrain, requiring a moderate Athletics or Acrobatics check to move through. On a failed check, a creature is slowed until the start of its next.
5 - The squares become hindering terrain that inflicts 5 points of radiation and electricity damage on any creature entering it or starting their turn within it.
6 - The squares become lightly obscured.
7 - The squares become heavily obscured.
8 - The squares become a time-space fracture (see page 99 of the D&D Gamma World Rulebook).
Special: The triggering creature does not experience an Alpha flux event.

That is what I'm talking about, thanks. 

Nice job with that I think it just gave me an idea for another origin as well!
docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17jkYIY4...

cut and paste, credit given, published, formatted a bit. fantastic idea.
Sign In to post comments