[CRL] Healing Strike on self

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can a hero use Healing Strike to heal damage on himself?  Thank you.
Edit: Never mind, assumed this was in the regular D&D rules QA and not Ravenloft.  I need to be more careful when I go to threads off that sidebar thing.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Oh I see how it is... I don't have the fancy red dragon under my name so I get ignored.  =P  No one has an opinion on this?  I say you can but person I played with didn't think so.  I'm depending on you guys to make me look good!
Absolutely. The Cleric is indeed a Hero, and is always within one tile of himself, and so can choose himself as the "one Hero" to receive that 1 HP of healing from Healing Strike.
For extra backing, point out to the other person that the game supports single-player scenarios. Is the game really not going to let the cleric not heal himself when he's the only one playing?
Thank you my dear Geer.  Appreciate the response. 
Is the game really not going to let the cleric not heal himself when he's the only one playing?

I wouldn't use that as evidence; it doesn't seem to me that the cleric can use his special ability "Aid" on himself since it says "other" hero.  I do agree, though, that he can use healing strike to heal himself.

I would love to agree but I have noticed that some of the Clerics cards say something like 'heal a hero within one tile' or 'heal all heros on a tile' (I'm not quoting word for word). As you say I thought that this would include the Cleric himself as a solo game would be useless with this character.

However, if you read the small italic script at the top of the cards (underneath the card name) it contadicts what you have assumed. For instance, under the word 'healing strike' it says in small italic script something like '... heal a companion' and the main text says other hero. However, under Shield of Faith it says in the same italic script '...protects you and a companion'.

From this wording I think that healing strike cannot be used on himself. It sucks but thats the way it's written and make Solo play with these cards useless. Have a look at these italic scripts and let me know what you think.

From this wording I think that healing strike cannot be used on himself. It sucks but thats the way it's written and make Solo play with these cards useless. Have a look at these italic scripts and let me know what you think.

I agree that the italic text is kind of confusing when read with the power description and the overall utility of a Cleric in D&D.

But why in Scenario 1 would they recommend Healing Strike as a power when playing the Cleric?!?!

I'd assume he can heal himself just with that recommandation.

And as another poster said in another post, D&D rules and especially CR rules are ment to be bent a bit when there's contradictions or something not quite clear about them, just like some of the Cleric's powers.

Please note that the text in italics at the top of the card is flavor text and has not bearing on the rules.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

The Cleric cannot heal himself with the Healing Strike.
The Cleric cannot heal himself with the Healing Strike.

By what reasoning? The power just says it works on a hero within one tile, and the Cleric is a hero within one tile. Contrast with the healing lore power, that specifies that the target must be one other hero.

I am convinced that the Cleric can indeed heal himself with Healing Strike

For me it comes down to the wording "other Hero" such as exists in the Cleric's Aid ability and the Hallowed Advance power.

If it says "Hero" it includes the acting Hero; if it says "other Hero" it specifically excludes the acting Hero.

As already mentioned, the italics are flavor text and not mechanical text. Although they might be considered when discussing the intent of the designer they are not part of rules. Further, if you use the logic that the flavor text for Healing Strike only mentions companions then the Cleric would not be able to use Healing Word on himself either.

if the cleric can heal himself with healing strike the game would be very easy. all the caracter have one at-will power that work better in group nedding another player to do. healing strike is the cleric power that work better in party.
Considering the Cleric from Wrath Of Ashardalon, it clearly says that it can heal himself or another hero ("If you hit, choose yourself or one Hero on your tile. That hero regains 1 Hit point.") with his Sacred Flame at-will power while it isn't that clear with Castle Ravenloft's Cleric power Healing Strike ("If you hit, choose one Hero wihtin one tile of you. That hero regains 1 Hit point.")

A doctor can't quite operate on himself, but I agree that Castle Ravenloft's cleric should at least be able to call his Aid ("You know healing techniques. At the end of your Hero Phase, if you did not attack, one other Hero on your tile regains 1 hit point.") character power to himself. Otherwise, he almost has no means of healing himself and will hog the Healing Surges.

An annoyance part of the 'healing' attacks is that you need a monster to get healed, but you are getting mauled by traps and events.