Are we going to see anything beyond level 10?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
It would be quite nice if eventually we could get 1-30 progression. I think it would be quite nice.
So far, there hasn't been any indication that we will.
I suppose it's possible, if the game really took off, that we'd see more levels, additional cardsets, and so on.

You could also adapt D&D classes to higher levels of play.  The current origins are a lot like races, after 10th, characters could embark upon a martial or psionic class from D&D, for instance.  It'd take a little work to adapt them, but it could be done. 

You could also expand the list of uberfeatures, and just give characters 5hps and another uberfeature, each time they level, more or less indefinitely.  (You might want to stop giving them +1 to everything, if you want to keep challenging them with existing monsters, though...)

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I suppose it's possible, if the game really took off, that we'd see more levels, additional cardsets, and so on.

You could also adapt D&D classes to higher levels of play.  The current origins are a lot like races, after 10th, characters could embark upon a martial or psionic class from D&D, for instance.  It'd take a little work to adapt them, but it could be done. 

You could also expand the list of uberfeatures, and just give characters 5hps and another uberfeature, each time they level, more or less indefinitely.  (You might want to stop giving them +1 to everything, if you want to keep challenging them with existing monsters, though...)

very interesting.  Would they get the pre-paragon powers, or would continue on?
Rather than trying to adapt 4E base classes for GW characters 11-20, I would adapt the Prestige Classes found in sources like d20 Apocalypse and d20 Future. The Nuclear Nomad, Evolutionary, Lawbringer, Salvager, and Road Warrior all make great classes for levels 11+, have plenty of post-Apocalypse flavor, and I don't think they'd be any more work to do.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I was thinking you'd give an 11th level GW character a D&D class, and the 1st level abilities of that class.  So, you'd have something to do up through 40th level.   I doubt most PPs or EDs would work well with GW, though.  Also, you'd want to adapt things, and there are issues to consider:  the sheer number of at-wills such a character would have, for instance, or whether you'd want to introduce surges and dailies into GW.

I've also thought about using an Engineered Human with a character class instead of a secondary origin as a 'Pure Strain Human.'  Obviously that doesn't quite jibe with using classs for level 11+. 

I suppose you start with the 11th level of the class, and swap out powers.  GW characters have 4 encounter powers by 10th level, so they could easily handle getting class encounter powers.  Utilities are simply added.  And, with no dailies to swap out, you could neatly side-step the issue of dailies.  You could create PP powers for each origin, as well, but have the PC choose only 1 origin (presumably the primary?) for it's PP.

Rather than trying to adapt 4E base classes for GW characters 11-20, I would adapt the Prestige Classes found in sources like d20 Apocalypse and d20 Future. The Nuclear Nomad, Evolutionary, Lawbringer, Salvager, and Road Warrior all make great classes for levels 11+, have plenty of post-Apocalypse flavor, and I don't think they'd be any more work to do.

Adapting a d20 class to 4e would be a bit of a challenge, but those sound like great places to start.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I don't have the book yet (ordered on amazon) so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems to me that creating paragon paths would be the simplest thing.

Each level beyond 10 still provides the normal +5 hp, and your level modifiers don't change formula (you still add your level to everything. (to make up for the lack of feats, items, and such)

But instead of gaining origin features you gain Paragon path (or whatever you wanna call it in GW) features/powers. 
I am in the same boat (no book in hand) but from what I've seen (admittedly as much as one can without physically holding the materials), I would agree.  It seems like Paragon Paths (from D&D or new to Gamma World) would be the most straightforward solution.
That's what I intend to do. Take the Prestige Classes from d20 Apocalypse and make Paragon Paths for them.

Paragon Paths are quite easy to make. They're much more standardized than the old Prestige Classes, which means much faster to make and easier to balance. The toughest part is giving them interesting, unique abilities. But that's where the d20 Apocalypse book comes in.

However, I am a big believer in not doing work till I have to, so Paragon Paths will have to wait. I have a ton of level 1-10 stuff to worry about first. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I'd have to say that I like the idea of using d20 Apoc stuff as a progression sounds like a good idea. You could treat it like an Essentials PP, and they arent especially powerful, so they'd probably fit in.
Maybe the designers thought that most groups would want to run shorter games that allowed people to play more characters. I would rather play three games to 10th level (getting to play 3 different characters) then play one game and only 1 character to 30th level.
Yes, that is the idea. Gamma World was not designed to be a long-term game. The designers talk about this explicitly in the Gamma World panel at GenCon. (You can watch that on YouTube.) 

It's supposed to be a fast, casual, game. It's Beer & Pretzels roleplaying. Then they expect you to go back to D&D. 
Sign In to post comments