10/19/2010 LI: "So Crafty"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I'm surprised Steve didn't mention the use of equipment - any equipment, including Accorder's Shield and Echo Circlet - in metalcraft decks. You can have any number of colored creatures if you have 4 or 5 pieces of equipment, because they almost always stick around. Unless your opponent is running Turn to Slag, in which case you're screwed.
 "While none of the Spellbombs are very effective on their own—with the exception of Horizon Spellbomb—being able to add an artifact to the board for only one mana is a pretty great thing to do if you are rushing to attack with a Rusted Relic."

I believe he means Origin Spellbomb.

I agree that Infect does little to help Metalcraft, but if you can get one or two Proliferate cards, Infect MAY be worth consideration.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Why, Spellbombs cost 1? 
I'm glad he mentioned Tumble Magnet - that thing is a beast.  It absolutely wrecks your opponents best critter and heaven forbid you have to face off against 2 of these bad boys.....

Why, Spellbombs cost 1? 

Origin Spellbomb puts an artifact on the board for one mana.  Horizon Spellbomb searches for a land for two mana.  That is how I interpreted the quotation.  But you are right, all of the spellbombs cost one mana and are artifacts so he really could mean Horizon Spellbomb.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Please, mr. Sadin, write something interesting for once. This used to be a good column. A draft walkthrough would not hurt for example.
I'm glad he mentioned Tumble Magnet - that thing is a beast.  It absolutely wrecks your opponents best critter and heaven forbid you have to face off against 2 of these bad boys.....

Agreed.  If you have any proliferation cards or bounce like Glint Hawk these things are just amazing.
Please, mr. Sadin, write something interesting for once. This used to be a good column. A draft walkthrough would not hurt for example.

Steve does not do draft walktroughs. He has done one in two years and it sucked. He hates them and he's bad at them. You can ask all you want, he won't do it.

His speciality is theory, and he usually is quite good at it. I'd venture he's still a little too unexperienced in SoM draft to be a real authority, though, and I agree that so far his articles on the format have been a tad too general and made a couple of inaccurate assessments.

This week, the thing that annoys me is the notion that people should pick Carapace Forger very high. Green is the worst or second-worst color for Metalcraft. The forger is the only common with it. Green is most often the base for Infect or unthemed decks; I wouldn't start picking green cards with the intention of being Metalcraft. Sure, the Carapace forger deck is possible, but I think you should really begin by setting yourself in the archetype based on what you're passed before you actively pick Carapace Forgers. If the card comes to me pretty late, and I know at that it fits my plan, I'll take it, but too much has to go right for that deck to work for you to force it.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A