DMless "Board Game Style"?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't picked up GW yet, but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to play it DM-less in a board game style such as Castle Ravenloft?  I've had some great fun with that game, and am super interested in Gamma World but don't have the resources to put together a group.  Currently my group meets online and the card mechanics seem to make it more difficult for us to play online than other RPGs. 

I'd love to give it a shot, and was hoping someone who owned it had an idea that maybe me and one or two other people could just do some fun stuff with the game w/o having a DM. 

Thanks in advance!  
Me and Billdownawell enjoy just making up characters and beating the crap out of each other sometimes.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

I suppose you could create a table with all the cards. There's 40 Alpha Mutation and 40 Omega Tech cards in the deck that comes in the box, so you could do two 1-20 lists for each deck and just roll 1d6 (1-3, roll on table 1; 4-6, roll on table 2). That would eliminate the need for cards.

But you still have the DM problem to solve. I've not played the new Ravenloft game, but it seems to me you could scan the maps for the various GW adventures -- or recreate them in a browser application -- put the PCs in the starting area, and have some kind of agreed-upon system for moving the enemies. This might be as simple as a set of basic movement rules: Melee creatures close and try to flank. Ranged creatures back away to the edge of the map, and so on.

You might even assign different groups of monsters to different players. "Okay, Chuck, you get to move the Porkers and Randy, you move the Sentry Bots." Change this each encounter to share the load equally.

Since GW has only the thinnest pretense of a story, and is basically an excuse to make freaky characters who develop random powers every turn, you're not missing much without a DM. The adventure in the box set will get you from 1st-3rd level in 8 encounters. If you're not bored with it yet, I expect Famine in Far-Go and Legion of Gold to take you most of the way to 10th. They each have 16 encounters, which is about 4 levels of advancement on GW's accelerated XP track. And the game only goes up to 10, so by then you will have "beat" the game.

Good luck! 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I actually want to say that in the DMG 2 there were some rules suggestions for playing a DM-less game. I KNOW I've seen some suggestions along those lines in some official WotC publication.

Come to think of it, in the old AD&D (not 2e) books, the DMG had a system for randomly generating dungeons and the contents of rooms. I'd say Gamma World would work pretty well with that, as long as you want a wacky boardgame without much of a plot.

I don't recall offhand how the 4e suggestion worked, beyond it involved creating an enounter deck. Basically use a pack of cards, with different suits/numbers representing different monsters. You had a few rules regarding how many monsters to draw, based on if they were Elite, Solo, Minion, etc, and on what roles they were.

For the AD&D stuff, though, that I remember well because I used to use it to generate my dungeons.

Basically, you used a massive set of graph paper, and had picked a spot to start on. Then you'd roll on corridor size/length, and determine number of exits/doors. Each time you had a door, you'd roll to see if it had a room or another corridor on the other side. If it was a corridor, your repeat, and if it was a room, youd roll for shape, size, exits, and contents. It was fairly complex.
I think you'd need to set up a "board" with dungeon tiles or something similar and agree on a general goal, then play it out. I know that I've played wargames and miniatures battles solo, so I don't see that GW would be significantly different.

The problem would be that some of the surprise would be lost. One thing I love about RPGs is that the GM has secrets from the players and the players often do bizarre things, so everyone gets the surprise of a spontaneous event. Board games need to be a little more scripted.

On the other hand, careful use of random tables could solve some of the surprise factor since you wouldn't know what card or number would come up at what time. Except that the players would know which options are on the table, so no total surprises there...

It would be interesting to see if anyone comes up with some solo rules. If so, hopefully they'll post 'em right here!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

I might do that if I feel inspired.
Sign In to post comments