So a few questions about this new edition of Gamma World, its a box this time around, which can be pretty cool. However I wonder, how much are the cards (atleast new expansion cards) needed? Does every player need their own deck or can I just buy a c

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
So a few questions about this new edition of Gamma World, its a box this time around, which can be pretty cool. However I wonder, how much are the cards (atleast new expansion cards) needed? Does every player need their own deck or can I just buy a couple of boosters and throw them into the GM deck of which to draw cards?
Also the book itself, hardcover or softcover?
Book is softcover, players never need to buy cards and can just play just fine with the GM deck.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Adventurers League Local Coordinator, Los Angeles area (AL FAQ here!)

Looking for gamers in Lake Arrowhead, CA area!

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Adventures League Characters (click for list)
Adventurers League Characters: (can you tell I like making new characters?)
  • Oraibi Jhannivvar (human noble devotion paladin of Siamorphe, level 9) and Golden Dawn (celestial warhorse); NG, Lords' Alliance
  • Ninkasi the Ale-Nun (human guild artisan life cleric of Chantea, level 7); NG, Harpers
  • Bacavi Jhannivvar (human sage arcane trickster/cleric of Tymora, level 4/2) and Teddy (cat familiar); CG, Lords' Alliance, Cloaks
  • Alcyone Pleiades (air genasi sailor conjuration wizard, level 4) and Buster (crab familiar); TN, Harpers, Cloaks
  • Rhythm (tiefling entertainer bard, is a dancer, level 3); NG, Harpers
  • Onyx Crystalfist (svirfneblin Earthspur miner Underdark land druid, level 3); NG, Emerald Enclave
  • Verdigris (copper dragonborn gladiator beastmaster ranger, level 3) and Heqet (giant frog); NG, Emerald Enclave
  • Niran Wishcrafter (fire genasi charlatan chaos sorcerer, level 2) a.k.a. "Madame Vessa" (human fortune teller); CN, Zhentarim
  • Claráin Coppervault (mountain dwarf guild artisan abjuration wizard, level 2) and Julius (cave octopus familiar); LG, Harpers
You certainly don't need to buy cards, and players do not have to have thier own decks. Some people argue that 'the game is intented to be played that way', but I think thats a crock of BS.

The randomness of the game makes for a lot of hilarity, and trying to come up with reasons for how things fit together is a major part of the fun - the book treats things that way too, with plenty of hilarious suggestions for things to do or way to reconcile elements. None of my players are likely to want to spend money to build thier own decks, so everyone will just use the GM decks.

To that degree, buying a handful of boosters of each pack and throwing them into the decks works just fine if you want a little extra variety. Though I suspect the other two box sets that are upcoming will have cards of thier own, so even that may not be necessary.

You could also just use a randomization list of all cards - someone's working on compiling those in the forum somewhere.
Only thing I wonder is where and if I can get the boosters out here, I found the basic Box, even found some pre-orders of the extra Expansions but nothing on Boosters .
Gravus, you will find a complete card list of the boosters on these forums. I'm sure you could order them online, but if you want, you can also make your own. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
So a few questions about this new edition of Gamma World, its a box this time around, which can be pretty cool.

The original Gamma World was a boxed set, of course.  ;)   This time around the box is a little inconvenient on two points.  1) it's wasteful packaging, being far, far larger than it needs to be (it's about 10.5x10.5x3") to hold one rather small book and a deck of cards.  2) at the same time, if it were just a /little/ longer along one dimension, you'd be able to put standard size sheets of paper - like, oh, the Game Day materials - in it, making use of some of that wasted space. 

However I wonder, how much are the cards (atleast new expansion cards) needed? Does every player need their own deck or can I just buy a couple of boosters and throw them into the GM deck of which to draw cards?

'Need,' no.  The Game comes with 80 cards, 40 each of Alpha Mutation and Omega Tech.  All draws can be from these DM decks.  So, if the DM decides to ban boosters, or if no one bothers to buy any, the game is perfectly playable with just those cards. 
The DM-deck cards are less potent than those in the boosters (even the commons in the boosters are a little better than similar DM-deck cards), though, so you might want to keep that in mind when creating encounters.  If your party uses customized booster-build player decks of 'rare' cards, you'll want to turn up the threat dial a skosh compared to just a few boosters, or no player decks at all. 

The CCG aspect only becomes problematic if you have some players who want to delve into it heavily and others who don't want anything to do with it, at all.  Then, you have to try to reach some kind of consensus - or just make a decision as GM, how you want to run the game, and accept that you might dissapoint someone.

Whether you use boosters or just the DM deck, the card mechanic lends itself to easy modification that you could use to customize the game to your DMing preferences.  For instance, if you want reduce the whackiness, you could inject some consistency by using Alpha player decks with just a few cards, and not having Alpha Flux (or at least, not having often), giving PCs a much more stable set of mutations, much like the older versions of the game.  Or, you could do away with random draws from the Omega decks, entirely, with the DM simply picking out cards and giving them as treasure.  You could also do things to make the game even more random - like collecting a bunch of boosters together into communal Alpha and Omega 'player decks,' or having 'sealed booster sessions' where everyone just buys a pack or two, and those become his player decks.

Also the book itself, hardcover or softcover?

It's a small-format softcover, like the new Essentials D&D line of books.  It seems pretty short, but I'd point out that the origanal GW was a soft-bound (stapled, in fact) book only about 60pgs long.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

This time around the box is a little inconvenient on two points.  1) it's wasteful packaging, being far, far larger than it needs to be (it's about 10.5x10.5x3") to hold one rather small book and a deck of cards.  2) at the same time, if it were just a /little/ longer along one dimension, you'd be able to put standard size sheets of paper - like, oh, the Game Day materials - in it, making use of some of that wasted space.

This particular issue pisses me off to no end.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
This time around the box is a little inconvenient on two points.  1) it's wasteful packaging, being far, far larger than it needs to be (it's about 10.5x10.5x3") to hold one rather small book and a deck of cards.  2) at the same time, if it were just a /little/ longer along one dimension, you'd be able to put standard size sheets of paper - like, oh, the Game Day materials - in it, making use of some of that wasted space.

Me too.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List

Me too.

Glad I am not the only one.
I continue to be puzzled that people are so cranky about the box size. Is it just environmental conerns that are at the root of this dislike?
For some people its the environmental thing, for others its a space issue. I dislike it for a number of reasons:

1. The primary reason is the fact that its *slightly* smaller than 11 inches, so you can fit a standard sheet of paper in there with it bending. This probably isnt a huge deal, but is exceedingly annoying, since the game lends itself well to one-shots or improvisation, which plain paper is good for.

2. Lots of companies these games seem to package games in larger boxes filled with empty space. This to me makes it look like they are either A) Trying to make the packaging more expensive so they can jack up the price, or B) Trying to trick you into thinking there is more in the box than there really is, so that youll pay more.

3. Its wasteful to put so much cardboard filler into these things when the space isnt needed.

4. I have TONS of games, and the more compact the space it takes up, the better, because I've already got a ton of space taken up by other games.
My problem with the box is simple.

I got my "Trouble in Freesboro" packet, and I opened up the Gamma World box, and Trouble in Freesboro did not fit inside it.

If "Trouble in Freesboro" had been 6x9, or the box had been 11" long, I would love that box to death.

But "Trouble in Freesboro" will be the ONLY GW product which is not going to fit in that box. And that means it is inevitable that I will lose it, stuffed on my shelf along with all the rest of my modules. Or in a stack of papers or books somewhere.

If I had a shrink ray, I'd be a happy camper. 
I continue to be puzzled that people are so cranky about the box size. Is it just environmental conerns that are at the root of this dislike?

The size is an issue.
The box is 10.25 by 10.25 by 2 inches tall. That's 210.125 cubic inches.

The book is 6x9x3/8ths, so it's 20.25 cu in.
The cards are 3.5x2.5x7/8ths, so they're 7.66 cu in.

The rest of the material? Less than a quarter inch thick, but we'll call it an even quarter and make it seem big. It's 10.25x10.25x0.25 = 26.27

So that's 26.27+7.66+20.25 = 54.18

That's 25% of the box taken up by stuff. The rest of it was AIR... and a cardboard insert that held up the book and cards.

If we took the token sheets, stacked the cards on top, beside the book and maps, the whole thing would only be half as tall as the box.

So they could have made the box half as thick, and still fit everything in with ease.

That's irritating as hell. You get this huge box (and it IS a big box), and there's almost nothing in it!

This is combined with the fact that the box won't hold letter sized/A4 paper. I can't fit Freesboro in it. I can't fit CHARACTER SHEETS in it.

I have the D&D Red Box. Letter sized. Also only an inch and a half thick. Holds ALL the stuff for my players. Works beautifully.

This one? Not so much. 
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

Environmental concerns? Not at all.

Try placing any standard-sized page in the box, you can't. Look at the size of the book compared to the box. You're basically getting a junk load of air.

I am of the mindset that you design the box around the major contents. The token sheets are not the major contents and could have been done differently (though the production costs might have been different).

If the box were the same size as the Red Box (they have the production equipment available to make the token sheets for that size of box already) then you could at least tote around standard-sized sheets of paper...like, say, the Game Day module...

*snap* I was slightly tardy in my posting
I just wish a bit more consideration had gone into the design of the interior.  I would not have minded so much air, if it was designed to hold  the cards like one of those long card boxes that CCG's use to hold decks.  Perhaps down one side (product on this side)->   |______|__|  <- Cards on this side.  Then it would have a place to store your deck and your custom cards.  The box is deep enough to accomodate cards in sleeves, it would have been nice to have the divider in there.  It does not mean you cannot make your own.  But it would have been nice to have it that way from the beginning.
Sign In to post comments