Origin Cards?

141 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone know if there's been an attempt to make printable Origin Power Cards?  By this I mean something similar to what WoTC sells for D&D Classes.  I know all the info in the book gives you all the powers, but as far as making new characters quick it just seems very time consuming as opposed to being able to just hand out cards with the powers already on them.
Tallyrand has a great character sheet and collection of the Origin power cards.

www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discus...

The Game Day materials include brief origin summaries that include Novice Power and can be printed out and used something like cards.  See Alphatream1's blog for links.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Here's a sample of the set I'm working on:

All the cards are finished, and they are being proofread. The only question is what to do about Killing Bite since it seems like it will need some errata.
Wow.  Those are gorgeous.
Those really look awesome! Did you make them in Photoshop? I usually use Magic Set Editor for any power card stuff.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Beautiful cards! I'd love to get my hands on a set (well, a pdf I can print myself.)Smile

Thank goodness we are part of a hobby that is populated by creativity. 
Wow.  Those are gorgeous.

Thanks!

Those really look awesome! Did you make them in Photoshop? I usually use Magic Set Editor for any power card stuff.

Thank you! They were made in Illustrator, and they'll be posted as PDFs.

Beautiful cards! I'd love to get my hands on a set (well, a pdf I can print myself.)Smile

Thank goodness we are part of a hobby that is populated by creativity. 

I'll post links when they are available. I thought I was done last night, took a look at them this morning and found 5 errors... *sigh* There are a few people looking at the files, and if they don't catch anything else, the files will hopefully get posted this week.

We're running a game at work this Wednesday, so I kind of hope they are finished by then! ^_^
Tallyrand's character sheet is very nice, but there are errors on many cards. Anarchy's cards look nice, and it's good to see proofing before posting.

Updated with suggested changes. I like both versions, but have a personal preference for the first version...
Wow, Anarchy, very nice looking.
Those are looking rather sweet

I'm looking forward to the PDF!
Me too...

In the alternative, I'm working on some half-sheets that can simply be handed out to players when they roll a particular origin. They have all three powers as well as all the traits.

Here's a preview of the first page:

www.mediafire.com/?h6q8783fe1tc97h
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I quite liked the first version, too.  BTW, the little radiation hazzard symbol seems to be unique to the DM Alpha & Omega decks in the boxed set - I doubt it'd actually confuse anyone, just thought I'd mention it.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I quite liked the first version, too.  BTW, the little radiation hazzard symbol seems to be unique to the DM Alpha & Omega decks in the boxed set - I doubt it'd actually confuse anyone, just thought I'd mention it.

The set icon is intentional. It anchors that side of the card and without it the top of the card looked off-balance.

Since I think they are adding new origins in the other expansions, it will also be useful to mark which set each origin card belongs to for reference purposes. When I do the other origins, they get a different icon. It's also good planning ahead for the custom origins, too.

You were way ahead of me.  Cool

BTW, are you doing to do the 'encounter' novice powers in purple or green?

I printed a set of the first example (novice = green, utility = blue, expert = purple). I really like it.

So, novice at-will and encounters are green. Encounter powers have an atomic bomb icon under the set icon.

If there is a public outcry, or ninjas break into my house in the middle of the night and force me to at sword point, I can make an alternate set with the at-wills in green and the encounter powers in purple. 
<--likes the first set too!!
Well, the Ninjas worked...

The Mutant Color version has novice powers colored green, utilities blue and experts purple. Encounter powers are marked with an atomic bomb.
If you would like to download this version, www.zeroradiusgames.com/BGG_files/gw_pow...

The Alternative version has green at-wills and purple encounters. There is no blue.
If you would like to download this version, www.zeroradiusgames.com/BGG_files/gw_pow...
Apparently the link I posted above was having some problems.

Here's a preview of the half-sheets I'm making for the WWGD I'm running this weekend.

Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
Wow AH Anarchy, wow. Smile
Well, the Ninjas worked...

The Mutant Color version has novice powers colored green, utilities blue and experts purple. Encounter powers are marked with an atomic bomb.

The Alternative version has green at-wills and purple encounters. There is no blue.

I really like these cards, though there is going to be one heck of a lot of cutting going on...Any chance you could repost these with the cards pushed together without a gutter between them? 3 cuts is better than 6.

And do you have plans for a Card Back?
Apparently the link I posted above was having some problems.

Here's a preview of the half-sheets I'm making for the WWGD I'm running this weekend.

Nice, Battles. Very useful. Much easier for character creation instead of passing the book around the table.

Wow AH Anarchy, wow. 

Thanks!

I really like these cards, though there is going to be one heck of a lot of cutting going on...Any chance you could repost these with the cards pushed together without a gutter between them? 3 cuts is better than 6.

And do you have plans for a Card Back?

Hmmm.... Wasn't planning on either of those. The spacing is necessary for the process I use to make the final cards. The test print took 5 minutes/page to trim fairly neatly.

I could do a card back. I'm sleeving the cards, so the back isn't visible and I hadn't really thought about it. Did you want a single image or a 3x3 matching the layout of the cards? It wouldn't be the official GW card back. That would make a nice back. If you're just using them for yourself, you could scan that, I suppose.
Ah, I use a metal ruler and a rotary cutter to do my cutting. I wish I had a card cutting rig, but not enough money in the budget for such luxuries ;)

A card back would be fine, I can use the official card back, that wouldn't be a problem.

If you were to make a card back, I'd suggest a 3up like what you have currently, that way you could print the card up pretty nicely and cut without gluing.
Hey everyone.  I'm new and getting Gamma World in the mail today, but I going to be stopping at Kinko's today and wanted to print a copy of AH_Anarchy awesome cards!  My question is will 1 set of these cards be enough?  I'm not sure how character creation is done, but if you can have players that have the same powers then I want to print out a few copies of those cards to ensure all my players can have them.

TLDR;
How many copies of AH_Anarchy's cards should I print?
At least two sets, possibly three.

Everyone rolls 1d20 and it's likely that you'll get one or more duplicated origins.

(Although to be honest, I would stop at two of each origin in my games and let people reroll until they get something that's more unique if they'd be the third for a certain origin.)
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
At least two sets, possibly three.

Everyone rolls 1d20 and it's likely that you'll get one or more duplicated origins.

(Although to be honest, I would stop at two of each origin in my games and let people reroll until they get something that's more unique if they'd be the third for a certain origin.)

That's what I'm doing, too.

I futzed around with the backs for a bit.

Power Cards Backs? 
Let me know which one you like, and I'll make a PDF. I'll make the border a little thicker to help with any printer registration problems. You'll want to cut the card front. 
Rolling has a non-trivial chance of producing a party with two or three of the same origin.   An alternative could be to take all (21 of) those Novice Power cards you just printed out, and let the players draw from them to determine their origins.  No duplications.

Anarchy, I vote for B and H. H is the cleanest, and B is just the coolest.
Well done AH_Anarchy.  Thank you for all your work.  I look forward to the card backs.

Peace tomas
My vote is for F, but maybe with green font color instead of purple Laughing
Love the Power Cards!

Curious though: has anyone seen Cards for just the origins themselves (i.e. the traits rather than the powers)? They would be handy for character generation (and could be used instead of rolling).

I'm currently using cut-cardstock copies of the Game Day origin summaries, but they are not uniform in size.
I'm really liking these - great work all around.

I think my vote for favorite is D and F - both of those seem to stand out to me, though I like B quite a bit as well

On a side note - If you have the time, Anarchy, would you be willing to consider doing up a set of cards for the Custom Origins compilation thread? We're rapidly approaching a full set of 20 Origins, and I'm strongly considering organizing the posts into a downloadable file. It might make sense to compile into a sort of 'Homebrew Expansion', sort of like whats going on with the Gama World Atlas thread. It would be fantastic to be able to include a card pdf for people who want to use power cards for thier players.
I like H for it's cleanliness as well. Great job!
I like G.  Mostly it's the 'damaged' look of the text, which is much clearer in G than B.  Anyway, definitely like a little radioactive green in there somewhere... ;)

On a side note - If you have the time, Anarchy, would you be willing to consider doing up a set of cards for the Custom Origins compilation thread? We're rapidly approaching a full set of 20 Origins, and I'm strongly considering organizing the posts into a downloadable file. It might make sense to compile into a sort of 'Homebrew Expansion', sort of like whats going on with the Gama World Atlas thread. It would be fantastic to be able to include a card pdf for people who want to use power cards for thier players.

Sure, I am willing to consider it. Send me the text when it's all compiled and ready for cardification. ^_^

Rolling has a non-trivial chance of producing a party with two or three of the same origin.   An alternative could be to take all (21 of) those Novice Power cards you just printed out, and let the players draw from them to determine their origins.  No duplications.

When I have run I just use origin cards and have them draw so they don't get duplicates. The game seems more interesting that way, since everyone is different. So, for me, one set is enough.

There are great cards. I agree with MVincent that it would be cool to have a reference card with the traits. These could be used for the above purpose.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I vote for G love the extra detail on the title.
A little more futzing, a pinch of this, a dash of that and we have:

gw_card_back.jpg

Here's the file: www.zeroradiusgames.com/BGG_files/gw_pow...
A little more futzing, a pinch of this, a dash of that and we have:

Here's the file: www.zeroradiusgames.com/BGG_files/gw_pow...

Excellent work AH can't wait to print these babies out at staples
A little more futzing, a pinch of this, a dash of that and...

Wow!  Thanks for the efforts!  Excellent.  Why could essentials have been more like GW?