Two Questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Firstly, before I realized there was such thing as a premier store, and I could get my hands on a copy of gamma world extra early, I decided to go get a visa gift card and preorder it online. Now I'm going to end up waiting till tuesday before they start to even ship it, probably till the next week before it actually gets sent out, waiting all weekend because its not a business day, and then sometime the following week actually get my product. Sure, I saved some bucks because it's $26.14 or so on amazon, with free shipping, and it seems to be going for 39.99 in stores. But was it dumb of me to order it and now be forced to wait in anticipation while you guys revel in your Gamma World greatness? I don't think I'll make it!

Secondly, how exactly does a D&D game day usually go? I looked online, and was very excited to see a local premier game shop (Brookfield WI - Game Universe) would be hosting a game day event at noon. Unfortunately, thats also the same day as National Portfolio Day, and the local art school, MIAD, will be hosting a portfolio event from 10am-2pm. Do they always start right at noon? If I show up late, can I at least watch the game and get in on the exclusive cards? Will they maybe play two sessions, or will it be limited to one? I tried asking these questions on the game-universe website, but the website seems almost entirely inactive and I've had no responses.

I could not be more excited for Gamma World. I've got a group of friends in for a new session, I've got a whole bunch of character sheets already printed out for when we do. (and nowadays, getting a D&D session going in HS is brutal. Ask the wrong person, and unfortunately, you will be horrendously judged.) What advice do you guys have on how to make sure I don't miss my first game day event, even if I feel somewhat obligated to attend portfolio day and might show up a bit late?
Firstly ... was it dumb of me to order it and now be forced to wait in anticipation while you guys revel in your Gamma World greatness?

Secondly, how exactly does a D&D game day usually go?... Do they always start right at noon? If I show up late, can I at least watch the game and get in on the exclusive cards? Will they maybe play two sessions, or will it be limited to one?

#1: No, it was not dumb of you. It was wise of you. After tax is added at your local game store, you will probably save $15. That's no chump change. If you are determined to spend that money on gaming anyway, GW booster packs are supposed to be on sale, the day of Game Day, for 2 for $5. So you can buy 6 boosters and get 48 cards. 

#2: You will want to call your local store, but they will probably start at noon. I doubt they will run two sessions, only because most stores would rather run everyone at once than try to divide it up, but if you store is physically small and expects a large crowd, it might happen. Probably, if you show up late, you will be able to politely ask to join a game in progress. Making a GW character takes about 5 minutes.

My advice is call the store and see if you can talk to, email, or leave a note for the GW Gamemaster. Tell him you'll be late, but would like to play. He can probably work you in. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
TBH, I dont think it was dumb; mine cost me a little over $40 with tax, and it sounds like you got yours for almost half that. I'd say waiting a week is probably worth it. In the meantime, you could craft a nice campaign to run and fill in the monsters stats when you get the box or something.

As for Game Day events, it really depends on your FLGS. One of the ones near me will host one-two tournaments for MTG events, and thats it. One of the other ones will go all day, hosting a tournament whenever enough people want to do one. It really depends on how many people the FLGS expect to have, and how many DMs they tend to have available.

Most people don't mind watchers though. Dunno what the requirements for getting the promo cards are.
Game Day depends on your store.

My FLGS is inside a mall, and thus is subject to mall hours. As a result, they close at 6.

We start between 12 and 1 and do one session (we'll have two tables running simultaneously).

The session is supposed to be 4 hours.  There won't be time for a second session afterwards.

Your store may be different. Phone them and find out.

The promo cards are to be distributed to players. Don't expect to get them for simply showing up late and watching. 
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
 My advice is call the store and see if you can talk to, email, or leave a note for the GW Gamemaster. Tell him you'll be late, but would like to play. He can probably work you in. 

Alright, thanks for the advice. I suppose I should probably do that. 

Parts of me want to just skip portfolio day at MIAD in order to make gameday, but considering I'm going to school for art and its supposed to be a good opportunity to get professional advice, I suppose thats a bad idea haha. 

I also went out and bought a ream of cardstock paper in anticipation for the completed 3x3 atom and rad set PDFs! I'm so pumped for GW.

When I was eleven or so years old (I'm 16 now) I was at a local library used book sale. For two dollars you could have as many books as you could cram in a paper shopping bag. I picked up a bunch of random books and junk, but I still remember finding the Gamma World 2nd edition rules book behind a bunch of other books and marveling at how no one had spotted this clearly awesome treasure. I taught the rules and played it with all my friends at school. So I suppose I'm sort of rare in that I learned table top paper rpgs from Gamma World before I ever played D&D. I since then lost that book, but its a really nostalgic experience for me and my friends who still go to my school that played with me back then to be able to play the new edition when it comes out. I even used to play the GW 2e with my dad when I was young, some nights before I went to bed. Thats really crazy because he worked a lot and almost never was interested in playing games with me and stuff.