Gamma World Character Builder?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would really like one.  Anyone else?

*hands UHF a D20, 3D6, and a D10*

There ya go.

Workin' on it.

Whether or not such a thing will be public or not is another can of worms entirely. 
I have an Excel spreadsheet I've put together. PM me if you'd like a copy.
I have an Excel spreadsheet I've put together. PM me if you'd like a copy.

I'd really like a copy, but for some reason can't send a PM. (But I think I can reply to a PM.) If you would be so kind as to PM me, I'll reply with an e-mail address you could send the spreadsheet to.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

So far, the game is so simple, and the character creation rules so streamlined, that it almost seems like software would just get in the way.

Since WotC isn't likely to be releasing book after book after book after book of updates for GW, I'm assuming that manually rolling GW characters won't turn into something that resembles doing your taxes, like what every edition of D&D eventually devolves to.
Push a button, get a character!  
That's the goal. At the moment, the only thing that isn't randomly generated is starting equipment, because I live in NZ and I'm still waiting on my copy of the core boxset to arrive... I'll update it to do that once it arrives.

For those asking me to send them a copy, please ensure you give me an email address to send it to in your PM.
FYI - I'll post notification of updates here - probably not until it's out of "beta" and I've found somewhere to host it.

If anyone is willing to send me the starting gear generation algorithm, I'll get that change made sooner, which is probabaly the last thing it needs before going "live".

I'd also appreciate if people didn't redistribute for now - if anyone is after a copy I'm happy to send it to them.
I've created a web-based Gamma World Character Generator.  It handles everything except for telling you your starting abilities or giving the option of trading in the Explorer's Kit for an additional gear roll.

You can use it at html5.holycow.com/gammaworld/ -- just click "Generate Character"!  If you don't like your character you can press it again.  
I've created a web-based Gamma World Character Generator.  It handles everything except for telling you your starting abilities or giving the option of trading in the Explorer's Kit for an additional gear roll.

You can use it at html5.holycow.com/gammaworld/ -- just click "Generate Character"!  If you don't like your character you can press it again.  

I like it! This is what I want for a Gamma World character generator; Press a button and a character pops out.

One thing I like is that you can easily copy and paste the character to notepad or something, but you can't bookmark it, to save your character but that way you don't have to wait for the page to reload every time you press generate character.

One thing I like is that you can easily copy and paste the character to notepad or something, but you can't bookmark it, to save your character but that way you don't have to wait for the page to reload every time you press generate character.

That's a feature I'd like to add, though it's pretty advanced.  I'm far from a Javascript expert.  In fact I created this using Javascript as a way to work on my flagging skills.

I'll add it to the "To Do" list though.  I think once I create a proper "character sheet" for the data to fit into I can add code in to remember what that data is.  Right now it just generates and spits it out all at once.

I'll be sure to have a "text only" output option even with a character sheet layout. 
Interesting... I like the web page version.

I spent a good 2 hours with kids trying to make characters, so I want a faster technique.

I've started making a character generator (spreadsheet) that you enter the dice rolls and it will present you with a completed character, right down to, basic attacks, leveling, and powers.  Almost as fast as just plain rolling the dice, and complete to level 10.

You have to admit that Gamma World is easy...
Puckish, your web generator is great. Sure, it would be even more awesome if it included things like powers and weapon stats. But it's still pretty good.

You win the Internet for a day. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
It would be awesome if you could export the results to some type of delimited file such as CSV, tab, or pipe...Then I could just load the junk into Inkscape and fill out a character sheet.

I was thinking about putting together a bunch of pregen characters for game day, just in case, this does it well.
Good job on the character builder.

Really, I mean it.

That's a feature I'd like to add, though it's pretty advanced.  I'm far from a Javascript expert.  In fact I created this using Javascript as a way to work on my flagging skills.

OK, I don't know if you can do this in JS, but I could do it in PHP.

Initialize your random function with a seed. Most of the time this defaults to system time or somesuch.

IF there is a "seed" variable in the url, like  holycowcom/gammaworld/?seed=123456
Then initialize the random with that seed.
ELSE
Use a random seed, and save that seed to a variable.

At the bottom of the page, output "Save this link to recover your character!" with the link, and the ?seed=123456 appended.

Now if someone pastes in that URL, the JS will seed the random with the same randseed, and thus should produce the exact same results!

This has the advantage that it can "save" infinite characters, but requires no actual storage on your end, since what it's doing is actually "rerolling" them from scratch, just with the same rolls. 
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

I've started making a character generator (spreadsheet) that you enter the dice rolls and it will present you with a completed character, right down to, basic attacks, leveling, and powers.  Almost as fast as just plain rolling the dice, and complete to level 10.

While I"m sure you'll beat me to it, I'm working on a spreadsheet to do this as well.  Since all my players have laptops, it would definitely speed up new character generation.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with though as my sheets are very much function over form. Artistic design is defintely not my strong point.  Laughing

I'd love to have one also.  I did character generation with some friends and 2 of the old school gamers were so put off by it they got up and left the game in the middle of playing, ruining it for everyone else.  They were convinced the 4e rules were uber complicated and overly laden with minutiae.  I tried everything to explain how simple it really is but to no avail.  My other players that had played 4e before loved it.
Nice job, Puckish!
Wondering if the new Gamma World game could be integrated into the D&D Character Builder? Like...click a button and switch to Gamma World mode.
If the coders were intelligent enough to build the character builder correctly to begin with.
Considering this game has a 6 month shelf life, and no products planned after Legion of Gold, I think that is far more work than Wizards's web crew want to consider.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Character builder does not deal with the web team, though if the web team is responsible for the current character builder application, that would explain much.
Character builder does not deal with the web team, though if the web team is responsible for the current character builder application, that would explain much.

Really, they're both .NET, so with a proper n-layered application architecture, the delivery method (web app or windows app) wouldn't matter.  

It doesn't really matter how much work it is. The game is only being supported for 6 months. I mean, unless it frackin' EXPLODES OFF THE SHELVES. 

Wizards will move on to the next project, and the next, and the next. It's the Pizza Hut strategy, only applied to gaming. This season, we get the Stuffed Crust RPG. Next season, we get Square Pizza RPG. It's just an endless series of gimmick games. And gimmick games do not need support.
It doesn't really matter how much work it is. The game is only being supported for 6 months. I mean, unless it frackin' EXPLODES OFF THE SHELVES. 

Wizards will move on to the next project, and the next, and the next. It's the Pizza Hut strategy, only applied to gaming. This season, we get the Stuffed Crust RPG. Next season, we get Square Pizza RPG. It's just an endless series of gimmick games. And gimmick games do not need support.

That is what the community is for.

That and Dun/Dra magazine.
Absolutely true. And I think some of the work the gang has done here has been awesome. All of it, in fact, is great, as it helps flesh out the world and give us all kinds of story ideas.

I will be curious to see if Dungeon and Dragon support GW at all. Has there been any firm confirmation of this? 
Absolutely true. And I think some of the work the gang has done here has been awesome. All of it, in fact, is great, as it helps flesh out the world and give us all kinds of story ideas.

I will be curious to see if Dungeon and Dragon support GW at all. Has there been any firm confirmation of this? 

Not that I know of, but people are free to send ideas to Wizards.  Perhaps someone could write an article?
In all seriousness, I think they did a good job with the Character Builder, for the most part. A lack of planning for expansion is what's kicking them in the butt right now.

If it had been planned correctly, they would be able to drop in expansion or setting modules and everything would work fine. But I see the changes in Essentials and Dark Sun as a big learning experience for them. Maybe, they'll learn from it, but we'll see as new versions are released.

I'd like to be able to just take a Gamma World expansion module and dump it in the correct folder and then *boom*! you have a Gamma World character builder.

But it's simple enough that you could write it in JavaScript (woo, it's already been done! :D) and could export into a common format to include in other projects. For instance, if I had a CSV file of a Gamma World character, I could easily set it up so my character sheets were populated with any character's info. The only problem is that you lose the ability to easily update your character without having to print out another version of the sheet...Waste of ink/toner and paper if you ask me.
In all seriousness, I think they did a good job with the Character Builder, for the most part. A lack of planning for expansion is what's kicking them in the butt right now.

If it had been planned correctly, they would be able to drop in expansion or setting modules and everything would work fine. But I see the changes in Essentials and Dark Sun as a big learning experience for them. Maybe, they'll learn from it, but we'll see as new versions are released.

I'd like to be able to just take a Gamma World expansion module and dump it in the correct folder and then *boom*! you have a Gamma World character builder.

But it's simple enough that you could write it in JavaScript (woo, it's already been done! :D) and could export into a common format to include in other projects. For instance, if I had a CSV file of a Gamma World character, I could easily set it up so my character sheets were populated with any character's info. The only problem is that you lose the ability to easily update your character without having to print out another version of the sheet...Waste of ink/toner and paper if you ask me.

I'm a programmer, I think WOTC has done a wonderful job.  There is a butt load of work going into each release and its very stable.  The user interface is quite slick.

The thing that's killing them isn't just the data entry, its changing the code, and testing it.  I'm sure the programmers are getting caught with their pants down constantly... "What?  Templates?  WTF is that?  AAAND you're using that in Gamma World for.. lemme see... races! WTF!  WTF!"

Never fear... Many spread sheets are on the way.
Wizards will move on to the next project, and the next, and the next.

The next project was announced at GenCon

Ravenloft the RPG - Play as vampires and werewolves! Fully compatible with 4E!

critical-hits.com/2010/08/07/gen-con-201...
Then in the 4th quarter, there will be a Ravenloft game released, where PCs can play Vampires, Werewolves, and more as well as the usual character options. While keeping most of the information about this hidden for now, they did say there would be some interesting new physical components to the game of some kind. It will be both a standalone game as well as fully useable in core D&D.

Gamma World - Released in Q4.
Ravenloft - To be released in Q4.

Honestly, if they keep doing specialty games like this every year... I'm happy. Side games like this are a blast... but keeping the D&D rules makes it easy to get people playing (Nothing new to learn!)
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

Thanks for providing this. I think there is a bug though. I just got this character. I'd expect Will to be a lot higher with a 20 charisma.

Mind Breaker / Empath

STR:8
CON:7
INT:13
DEX:5
WIS:7
CHA:20

Hit Points: 19
+2 to Psi overcharge.

Note: Engineered Humans get +2 to all overcharge but they are Secondary origins while the rules say only your Primary affects your overcharge bonus. Checking out what to do so for now I've left it off.

Fortitude: 10     Reflex: 12     Will:13

Thanks for providing this. I think there is a bug though. I just got this character. I'd expect Will to be a lot higher with a 20 charisma.

Mind Breaker / Empath

+2 to Psi overcharge.

Note: Engineered Humans get +2 to all overcharge but they are Secondary origins while the rules say only your Primary affects your overcharge bonus. Checking out what to do so for now I've left it off.

Yep, it should be 18 minimum (5 + 1 + 10 + 2 (mind breaker)). Empath doesn't get a defense bonus? *ponder*
Did some checking in your code and found a typo in this line:
if(wis>cha) { defenseWill+=statBonus(wis); } else { defenseWill+-statBonus(cha)}

It should be
if(wis>cha) { defenseWill+=statBonus(wis); } else { defenseWill+=statBonus(cha)}
Anyone working on an excel/open office generation spreadsheet?  Maybe one that we can update and modify after the initial generation and doubles as our character sheet?
Anyone working on an excel/open office generation spreadsheet?  Maybe one that we can update and modify after the initial generation and doubles as our character sheet?

PM me and send me a real email address, and I can send you what I have.

I'm still needing to add combat and powers, but almost everything else is in there, like background origins, Defense calculations, etc.

I think I'm actually going to work with my SVG Encounters-inspired character sheet and JavaScript to provide a "Gamma World Encounters" quick gen sheet. If you use any modern browser (FF works best for SVG, Chrome/Safari/Opera next, and IE last -- with flash) you'll be able to create your character, include an image (probably just a straight image you upload), set the fade colors, and then you'll be able to print your newly generated character.

We'll see if I have the time, but hopefully people will want this option. I can also include origin cards for the character as well.
I would also like to say thanks to Puckish. I've just created about 20 playable PCs - I only got maybe 3 or 4 non-playable characters* which is a pretty good output for a randomized PC generator.

* (By non-playable, I mean that I got a Giant/Mind Coercer with 3 stats at 8 or lower - including both Int and Dex - and gear consisting of 3 keelboats and a 2 laptops. Had his stats not been so bad, I might have considered keeping him around as a pirate NPC!)

What's sad is that I believe this game WOULD do really well if not for the price point and the packaging/design issues. Based on my current experience, it seems the designers have done a really good job on this game. But thanks to the marketing/design gaffes, I doubt many people are going to experience this game fully.

Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL

Mind Breaker / Empath

+2 to Psi overcharge.

There's a few other bugs in there too I think.

I recently used the program to pregen several characters for a one off I'll be running soon.  On a couple of characters that got 8s and 9s for Intelligence, the math didn't work out right for their Intelligence based skills. 

For Example:

Speedster / Empath
STR: 15
CON: 15
INT: 9
DEX: 18
WIS: 4
CHA: 16

Hit Points: 27
+2 to Psi overcharge.

Fortitude: 13     Reflex: 17     Will:14
Skills

Acrobatics: 9
Athletics: 3
Conspiracy: 1
Insight: 2
Interaction: 4
Mechanics: 1
Nature: 2
Perception: -2
Science: 1
Stealth: 5

Int 9 should give a -1 mod.  So this character's Conspiracy, Mechanics, and Science skills should all be 0 since it didn't get any skill training in those (-1+0+1=0).

Still, love the program. 

Sign In to post comments