INFECT DECKS <-- Post here.

1232 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2500/infect.png)
Infect

This thread is here to discuss various different forms of "Infect.dec".  It is also to reduce the obnoxious amounts of clutter on the forums, since everyone and their mother is posting an Infect deck these days.  As such:

Post your Infect-based decks in this thread, not in individual threads.

I promise that, if you do such, you will be able to share your ideas in a more organized environment where players who've been using this mechanic succesfully in competitive format can critique, evaluate, and assist you in building a better deck.  At least I will.

Infect decks are a difficult deck to generalize, especially how early it is in this new Standard season.  However, two basic sub-types exist within the genre of “Infect”:  aggro and control.  Successful Infect aggro decks are geared towards consistent victories on turn 3-5, exploiting the limited amount of removal and early game play in our current metagame.  On the other hand, an Infect-based control deck either abuses the Proliferate mechanic in unison with Infect or simply controls the board until they can seal a victory with a sudden punch to the nads.

Playing an Infect deck – even an aggressive variant – requires a very control-oriented mindset.  Most of the plays you will make will be responsive, baiting an opponent’s burn or removal so that they intentionally waste it and you swing through.  Imagine that the deck you are building is like a rocket-launder made out of ply wood and PVC pipe – from turn one you’re fighting to survive yourself, but you have an incredibly high possibility of blowing your opponent out of the water before their deck’s even come online.

The Mechanic:

Show

Infect is a beautiful mechanic in that it is completely broken.  Essentially, Infect creatures deal damage that breaks all of the typical checks and balances in Magic: The Gathering:

-          The damage they do to other creatures lasts longer than until the end step.
-          The damage they do to other creatures lessens the damage those creatures can do in return.
-          The damage they deal to players is in the form of Poison counters.
-          Poison counters, as of yet, cannot be removed by any means in all of Magic.

That being said, playing an Infect deck against any non-Infect deck is like running a 50-yard dash while your opponent is in the mile run.  As soon as your first creature hits the board you force your opponent to play by your rules.  Every creature demands removal.  Every turn is a clock that ticks and demands answers.  And, unless you hit a pocket of mana, a properly-built Infect deck will consistently lay down a single-turn game-ending threat.

The Deck:

Colors:

Show

Since Infect is based entirely in Black and Green (save for a few random artifact creatures), at least one of these colors must be included in the deck.  As far as I have seen from playtesting, Green is more suited as the basis of an aggro build and Black is more suited as a Control variant.  Thus:

Green – Has the least creatures but the ones with the most significant bodies.  Putrefax is king here, essentially a Ball Lightning for Infect.  Mono-Green can abuse ramp to put him out a turn or two too early for other decks to deal with.  Cystbearer provides a good body and double the average Infect creature’s attack, and [c]Blight Mamba[/b] has recursion. 

Green also has Infect’s most important assets:  evasion and protection. 

Black -- Has the best creatures hands-down, as well as removal and disruption.  Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is a tough card to argue with, and Plague Stinger is the absolute best turn-two drop for any Infect deck.  Having an Infect Lord also helps, as well as creatures who simply put poison counters directly on to the opponent with no way of preventing suck other than a Mana Leak.

Green/Black – Has the availability of a full spectrum of Infect creatures, as well as Black removal for removing pesky blockers and Green pump and evasion.  In theory, the best way to go.  However, the mana base – without proper dual-lands – is just janky and inconsistent.  Playing Green/Black is a lot like flipping a coin as the beginning of the match.  If you always have the right color/amount of mana for the pumps you need on that creature to get the alpha strike, you win.  If you don’t…

Black/x – “X” typically ends us a Blue for Proliferate and Control.  Thrummingbird and Steady Progress, as well as the typical Mana Leak, help turn a single poison counter into 10 without allowing your opponent to beat you to 20.  I also hear Jace, the Mind Sculptor is pretty good.

Green/x – “X” is anything from White to Red, but typically boils down to White providing more evasion or pumps and Red providing more firepower.

Cards:

Show

Mana:

Show

Aggro decks will definitely want as close to zero CiPT lands as they can, as these lands – no matter their benefit – never make up for the loss in tempo that a deck designed to win on turn 3 suffers.  Thus, basic lands and fetch lands are the way to go – all 20-24.

Control decks will be able to slow down the tempo of the game and are almost always two colors.  As such, Drowned Catacombs, Creeping Tarpit, Darkslick Shores, and Tectonic Edge do wonders.  Mystifying Maze can also put a blocker out of the way at a crucial time for control’s surprise alpha-strike.

Creatures:

Show

Black:

Show

Plague Stinger – Early game flyer without a color-intensive mana cost.  A turn two Plague Stinger isn’t blockable by almost anything in the current meta other than an Ornithopter.

Ichor Rat – Has double the average power of an Infect creature, has an awesome come into play auto-poison counter ability, and only costs 3.  As long as he hits the battlefield, he’s done his job – everything else is just bonus.

Hand of the Praetors – Turns every Infect creature in your deck into an Ichor Rat, makes them decent-sized for their mana cost, and is a fairly sturdy body himself for his mana cost.  If you play black, you should probably have at least 3 of this guy in your deck.

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon – The best Black has to offer.  “Skittles”, as he’s referred, has the recursion of Blight Mamba, the evasion of Plague Stinger, and the speed of Blackcleave Goblin or Putrefax.  He comes down on turn six at the earliest, though, which in a non-control deck challenges his viability.  Regardless, he helps gas up the mid-to-late game of a lot of Infect decks.

Green:

Show

Blight Mamba – Non-color-intensive mana cost, has recursion, and is the same size-per-mana of most of the Infect creatures.  If you run green, I recommend a 4-of.

Cystbearer – The best body for the least price out of all the Infect creatures, this will help deal with first strikers like White Knight and Vampire Hexmage.  He also has twice the power of the average Infect creature, which is nice.

Putrefax – Infect, Haste, Trample, gone.  He’s a Ball Lightning with Infect for 5 that doesn’t die on a first-striker.  Most games he’s a sorcery that reads “ – You win the game.”

Artifact:

Show

Ichorclaw Myr – This guy, as far as I am concerned, is psychological tech.  No one wants to have their early drops eaten by a 3/3 Infecter, so they typically opt not to block.  Two or three pumps on turn 3 and that mistake can cost them a game.  No matter the color combination, I recommend a 4-of (I’d run 6, if I could).

Necropede – Best suited as sideboard material for control decks or decks with significant amounts of chump blockers.  His enters graveyard ability is fantastic with Black/Blue’s proliferate.  Regardless, he’s a nice addition as both a creature and removal.

Spells:

Show

Black:

Show

Vampire’s Bite:  The biggest pump black has to offer.  Sadly, it provides no extra butt for your creatures in case of a Lightning Bolt – as such, these are best played when the opponent is tapped out or after you strip them with a Duress or Inquisition of Kozilek (or have a Mana Leak handy, in the case of Black/Blue).

Virulent Swipe:  Two turns of pump for one mana, as well as free removal is they decide to block.  Can be used as a surprise boost after attackers are declared first turn, and next time it comes around can force an opponent to either let a blocker through and remove the wrong creature.

Duress/Inquisition of Kozilek:  This is about as good as it gets in mono-black for protection – strip their early blockers and removal so that your creatures are safe to Infect all game long.

Tainted Strike:  This is something only recommended for Black/Blue control as a sinister combat trick to tack on to a Creeping Tar Pit or on someone’s Baneslayer Angel that you stole with Mimic Vat.  Even without the Pit as base, a +1/+0 is a pump, regardless, and sometimes pushes a creature’s swing from almost to enough.

Doom Blade/Smother/Vendetta/Deathmark[/c]/etc:  Removal.  This gets a creature out of the way so that you can put foot to face and race to 10.  Sometimes, in a stalled game, it prevents someone else’s creature from putting foot to your face.

Memoricide:  In a Black control-oriented deck, this is just goodstuff.  Strip them of their game so that you can Infect and Proliferate in safety.

Green:

Show

Canopy Cover:  Early game evasion that’s seriously effective.

Groundswell: +2/+2 for one is fine, put +4/+4 for one isn’t anything I’ll argue with – which most of the time, that’s what it’ll be.  It’s much better than Giant Growth.

Primal Bellow:  Part pump, part tech – in a Mono-Green deck, this allow for late-game boosts of power akin to what Black and Black/Blue control get from Mimic Vat.  Early game it’s a Groundswell, but mid to late game it simply keeps getting better.

Vines of Vastwood:  The best card from Green pump-wise, this card is best used in response to an opponent’s removal – especially when you can kick it and punish them for trying to ‘Bolt or ‘Blade your critter.

Asceticism:  Tech for removal-heavy decks/sideboards, such as MBC, Valakut, RDW, Big Red, Koth Deck Wins, etc.  Best in the sideboard.

Garruk Wildspeaker:  The only Planeswalker I’d recommend running in an aggressive Infect deck, as he actually extends the reach of your mana and your creatures.  Infect + Overrun = Profit.

Others:

Show

Mimic Vat:  Best in control, but also useful in decks running Putrefax for some nice combo action.  Along with Tainted Strike, this can turn someone else’s Titan or other random fatty into an Infect wincon.  That, or it can simply recur Ichor Rat / Hand of the Praetors to put them on a clock that demands an answer immediately.

Thrummingbird:  If you run blue, even if you don’t have a focus on proliferate there isn’t much reason to not run this little guy.  After you’ve swung with a creature with Infect, it might as well have Infect as well.

Distortion Strike:  More blue tech – unblockable, +1/+0, and Rebound.  Yum.

Assault Strobe:  Swing with Ichorclaw Myr, Groundswell, Assault Strobe – good game?

Matchups:

These will have to come later with more playtesting in tournaments.

For starters, here is my deck:

Gangreen

Lands: 22

22 Forest

Creatures:  20

4 Llanowar Elf -
4 Blight Mamba -
4 Ichorclaw Myr -
4 Cystbearer -
4 Putrefax -

Spells: 18

4 Primal Bellow -
4 Groundswell -
4 Vines of Vastwood -
4 Canopy Cover -
2 Garruk Wildspeaker -

Sideboard: 15
4 Autumn's Veil -
4 Nature's Claim -
4 Corpse Cur -
3 Asceticism -

STI - Standard Tier 1 Infect IMAGE(http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2500/infect.png)Credit goes to zpikduM for the image.
I made one of these two hours ago. But at least your trying to remove the clutter.
Photobucket
I made one of these two hours ago. But at least your trying to remove the clutter.

Ah, I didn't see it - apologies.  Well, hopefully with two of them floating around one of them will see activity, no?
STI - Standard Tier 1 Infect IMAGE(http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2500/infect.png)Credit goes to zpikduM for the image.
Use this.
Photobucket
zpikduM, you kick gratuitous amounts of a**.  Thanks, man!
Here's my semi-serious mono-B infect. I haven't tried it at a tournament yet, I have other decks to play. On a good day, 4th turn kill, and purely academical 3rd turn kill.

4 plague stinger
4 ichorclaw myr
4 ichor rats
3 hand of the praetors
3 blackcleave goblin
3 skithiryx, the blight dragon

4 adventuring gear
4 vampire's bite
4 doom blade (black decks are rare over here)
4 grasp of darkness
3 sign in blood

4 marsh flats
4 verdant catacombs
15 swamps

Sideboard is not here but it propably includes some mind sludges, inquisition of kozileks.. ratchet bomb, marsh casualties maybe.
Im torn between having skithiryx or strata scythe in the main. The latter turns any of the other creatures quite big, but skithiryx can end the game on his own.. But on the other hand the match shouldn't last too long.

Oh and funny sideboard card is trailblazer's boots
"And the word my father taught me that evening, the word meaning 'the strongest', was mage." - Tezzeret the seeker, Test of Metal
Creatures:
4 x plague stinger
4 x Ichorclaw Myr
4 x thrummingbird
4 x Hand of Praetors
4 x Ichor Rats

Artifacts:
4 x Livewire Lash
2 x Contagion Engine
2 x Contagion Clasp
2 x Throne of Geth
4 x Everflowing Chalices

Instants:
4 x Steady Progress

Enchantments:
2 x Inexorable Tide

Lands:
10 x Swamp
4 x Blackslick Shores
6 x Islands

This is my bro's UB Proliferating poison deck. He wants to fit in some negating cards, but isn't sure what to drop.

4 Autumn's Veil -
4 Nature's Claim -
4 Corpse Cur -
3 Asceticism -

I like the new (relative to the 'Systematic Examination of the Infect Mechanic' post) sideboard, it looks more streamlined.

Against what matchups would you side in Asceticism?
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!

4 Autumn's Veil -
4 Nature's Claim -
4 Corpse Cur -
3 Asceticism -

I like the new (relative to the 'Systematic Examination of the Infect Mechanic' post) sideboard, it looks more streamlined.

Against what matchups would you side in Asceticism?

Asceticisms go in based off of the scale of removal I'm facing.  Typicall, Vines and Canopies are enough to deal with the low amount of removal is in almost every deck game one.  Game 2, however, tends to be like this:

Mono Black / Black-Blue Control - Board in all 3.

Red Burn - Board in 1 or 2, depending on their creature base.

Mono White - Board in 1.

It's been working pretty well for me so far.  The best hand is typically one with one or two Elves in it so you can power out a turn 3 Asceticism for turn 4 ridiculousness.

Also, I've learned a strategy recently:  Garruk's chump-blocking factory actually helps a lot against red.  Previously I'd thought he would just be bolt fodder, but I guess not.

Also Kyle - woah.  I'm loving the Scars tech you've got there (the 1 mana cost indestructibility instant).  That's pretty legit.  I'm going to sleeve it up and playtest it.  That and Autumn's Veil in the SB for a black-heavy meta would pretty much spell GG.  Thanks for the contribution!

I'm going to take some time and try to make a typical "archetype" introduction to this thread.  Edit coming soon.
Updated the first post with a couple hours worth of work.
Creatures:
4 x plague stinger
4 x Ichorclaw Myr
4 x thrummingbird
4 x Hand of Praetors
4 x Ichor Rats

Artifacts:
4 x Livewire Lash
2 x Contagion Engine
2 x Contagion Clasp
2 x Throne of Geth
4 x Everflowing Chalices

Instants:
4 x Steady Progress

Enchantments:
2 x Inexorable Tide

Lands:
10 x Swamp
4 x Blackslick Shores
6 x Islands

This is my bro's UB Proliferating poison deck. He wants to fit in some negating cards, but isn't sure what to drop.

Why does he run livewire lash with no way of offensively targeting it.  Is it merely for the +2/+0 and hopes that his opponenet wont want to target it?  In my opinion that goes much beter in an aggro deck that packing a lot of pump.  In my opinion he could easily frop those for some counters or to up the count on the contagions.
Hi,

I only found this "Infect Decks -> Post Here" group today. Doh! Undecided Otheriwse, I would have posted my deck here.

Anyway, since I had already posted my Infect deck here (
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...), I will not be cross-posting it. Please feel free to check it out and comment on the other group or here.

Cheerz!
I agree.  Contagion Engine is too slow and, personally, I like Throne of Geth better anyways (especially if you're running Ichorclaw Myr, Necropede, and Everflowing Chalice, as saccing a spare Chalice is free proliferate that doesn't tie up any precious mana.

I love the creature base though.  It's got a low curve and is very organic for B/U.  I'd honestly use up some of your slots for dirty ol' Mana Leak for control's sake, as well some pump - Vampire's Bite is good, but Virulent Swipe and Distortion Strike are the way to go for a Livewire Lash-based deck.

Livewire Lash is good in a control oriented deck where you never have to swing until the final alpha strike.  Heck, you may never swing at all - just activate the Lash and Proliferate repeatedly.
Going out in a whim and post that deck have playing since Scars got to mtgo it's a control version and is UG, well here goes nothing:

So what are your thoughts?

The avatar of laziness

@Pdr_Br - Why Green/Blue, if I may ask?  It just seems like a weak color combination for what you're trying to do.  You'll also want more threats - and Carrion Call is a really bad card, truth be told. 

And I'm positive that you know this already, but Jace, the Mind Sculptor would look good there.  And maybe replacing Green with Black, to be honest.

@cheechako - I like it, I haven't seen any really decent looking B/U variants that are more mid-range.  How does it fair against other matchups?

Also - you don't need fetches, just Drowned Catacombs, Darkslick Shores, and Creeping Tarpit - which, by the way, if you put four Creeping Tarpits and have four of those Invisimancers Tainted Strike would be a good investment.

I'm not a fan of Deprive in a non-landfall deck, but that's just a personal taste.

Here is my current deck for infect. I decided to use green with black since it has most of the fatal infect creatures.

Creatures: 24

4 Putrefax
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Ichor Rats
4 Necropede
4 Plague Stinger
4 Corpse Cur

Spells:12

4 Giant Growth
2 Groundswell
4 Doom Blade
2 Smother

Lands: 24

14 Swamp
10 Forest

I am not sure if I should change to mono green or mono black. The deck as it stands runs fairly good, but without any green mana early on it gets painful. The main thing I want to keep is Putrefax, but I would be willing to use Skithiryx. Please help.

@cheechako - I like it, I haven't seen any really decent looking B/U variants that are more mid-range.  How does it fair against other matchups?

Also - you don't need fetches, just Drowned Catacombs, Darkslick Shores, and Creeping Tarpit - which, by the way, if you put four Creeping Tarpits and have four of those Invisimancers Tainted Strike would be a good investment.

I'm not a fan of Deprive in a non-landfall deck, but that's just a personal taste.

Thank you! To be honest I haven't put it together yet. I would suspect it would have a tough time vs. RDW.

I completely forgot about Creeping Tar Pit. That would be perfect. If we remove Deprive, then that would make room for Tainted Strike.

With that change in mind, one other question would be whether or not Mana Leak is still viable to keep in the deck. If I run any counters, I like running at least 8. Would Mana Leak's place be better served by more bounce in the form of Into the Roil, or maybe some card draw, like Preordain, See Beyond, or even a cantrip like Steady Progress or Spreading Seas.
I dont even waste time with anything fancy.  Infect is all about pumping fast creatures, before your opponent can get anythign going, its the ultimate aggro.

4x blight mamba
4x ichorclaw myr
4x necropede
4x plague stinger
4x putrefax

4x giant growth
4x groundswell
4x vines of vastwwod
4x primal bellow

4x verdandt catacombs
2x terramorphic expanse
10x forest
8x swamp

@Pdr_Br - Why Green/Blue, if I may ask?  It just seems like a weak color combination for what you're trying to do.  You'll also want more threats - and Carrion Call is a really bad card, truth be told. 

And I'm positive that you know this already, but Jace, the Mind Sculptor would look good there.  And maybe replacing Green with Black, to be honest.

Truthfully because I wanted to make a UG deck with infect simple as that, originally I thought of having a Mimic Vat control style but since I still haven't got them I tried this and it went well, Carrion call it's good for me due to being able of dropping it for blocking or at the end of the turn.
It's still work in progress and RDW and the like a real pain to beat. Jace 2.0 is good I give you that but still too expensive for me.

The avatar of laziness

// Lands
    2 [ZEN] Crypt of Agadeem
    3 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    15 [RAV] Swamp (3)
    4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge

// Creatures
    1 [SOM] Carnifex Demon
    3 [SOM] Corpse Cur
    4 [SOM] Hand of the Praetors
    4 [SOM] Ichor Rats
    3 [SOM] Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

// Spells
    2 [M11] Liliana Vess
    1 [ZEN] Sorin Markov
    2 [ZEN] Mind Sludge
    4 [M11] Sign in Blood
    4 [SOM] Contagion Clasp
    1 [SOM] Contagion Engine
    1 [SOM] Lux Cannon
    4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
    1 [M11] Doom Blade
    2 [SOM] Mimic Vat

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Mind Sludge
SB: 2 [M11] Doom Blade
SB: 4 [ZEN] Sadistic Sacrament
SB: 1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 4 [ROE] Consuming Vapors
SB: 2 [ROE] Consume the Meek

Ebontail - I like your list, but I have to question your reasoning behind Primal Bellow, the general lack of evasion, and the only critter protection you have being 4 Vines.  The Bellow is a champ for mid to late game in mono-green, but you're only running 10 forest - that's less than half your lands.  I have a feeling that more often than not, Primal Bellow will just be Giant Growth (or less), even in the late game. 

I'd switch out your Giant Growth with something to defend your creatures.  You can't win without them.

Pdr_br - that's what I'm talking about.  I love a RDW matchup 80% of the time - but that's because I have cards in my hand that make their burn irrelevant and I have a mana curve comparable to theirs.  Just saying, man.

// Lands
    2 [ZEN] Crypt of Agadeem
    3 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    15 [RAV] Swamp (3)
    4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge

// Creatures
    1 [SOM] Carnifex Demon
    3 [SOM] Corpse Cur
    4 [SOM] Hand of the Praetors
    4 [SOM] Ichor Rats
    3 [SOM] Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

// Spells
    2 [M11] Liliana Vess
    1 [ZEN] Sorin Markov
    2 [ZEN] Mind Sludge
    4 [M11] Sign in Blood
    4 [SOM] Contagion Clasp
    1 [SOM] Contagion Engine
    1 [SOM] Lux Cannon
    4 [WWK] Everflowing Chalice
    1 [M11] Doom Blade
    2 [SOM] Mimic Vat

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [ZEN] Mind Sludge
SB: 2 [M11] Doom Blade
SB: 4 [ZEN] Sadistic Sacrament
SB: 1 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 4 [ROE] Consuming Vapors
SB: 2 [ROE] Consume the Meek

I love this.  Wow, I love this.  You've actually just won my heart, goodsir - I'm a monoblack player all day long, and this just makes me happy.  It's extremely organic, too, which I can dig.  I also really like the fact that you've got Sorin and Liliana in here (just because I like the Black PWs), but I have to ask - is Sorin intended to be removal on a stick, or just an alternate pseudo-wincon?

Basically this is just a solid MBC list with Infect as its premise.  And I can dig that.
What do you guys think of Fume Spitter? One mana for a Necropede, it looks like to me. Sac for a -1/-1 counter, which you'll basically do anytime it's about to die anyway. Having another artifact to sac to Throne of Geth is useful but it looks like a pretty decent one drop.

Thoughts on Corpse Cur? Useful?

decklist

I like the general idea. However, I'm concerned by the lack of removal in the main. Skinrender should work well with Mimic Vat. Also I'm not convinced that Crypt of Agadeem is needed here; you only have a few black creatures. It's a combo card.

Also, there are really two themes in this deck. There is Proliferate + Counters (Lux Cannon, Carnifex Demon, the Planeswalkers) and there's Proliferate + Poison. The net result is that you have two sets of win conditions: the Demon and the Planeswalkers on one hand, and the Infect creatures on the other. Neither of those is particularly fast or mana-efficient. I'm aware that these two themes do support each other to a degree, it's just that you have few win conditions, and the list looks a bit diluted because of that.
In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
Changed my deck around now. Added more useful pump spells, here is what it looks like.

Creatures: 20

4 Putrefax
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Plague Stinger
4 Ichor Rats
4 Necropede

Spells: 16

4 Vines of Vastwood
4 Virulent Swipe
4 Doom Blade
4 Groundswell

Lands: 24

14 Swamp
10 Forest

Please comment.
3 Blight Mamba
3 Ichor Rats
3 Putrefax
3 Hand of the Praetors
3 Skinthiryx, The Blight Dragon
3 Plague Stinger
3 Tangle Angler
3 Ichorclaw Myr

2 Contagion Clasp
2 Assassinate
4 Giant Growth
2 Garruk Wildspeaker
2 Contagion Engine

12 Swamp
12 Forest
I've been dabbling with Infect a bit, and here's what I brewed up.  It looks a little un-conventional since it's pretty much just a B/r Aggro deck.

The gist is pretty obvious.  Beat down with infect guys and use removal to keep blockers out of the way.  Strobe gives some utility, SiB and Cur help get you some CA.  The SB is just a nice removal suite to help you board in optimal removal for what your playing against.  In what little testing I've done it's faird well VS Ramp decks thanks to Strobe, and all the removal helps against other Aggro Decks.  Even Control's walls don't want up long thanks to Flame Slash and Grasp of Darkness.  And kind of Mid-Range deck, or RDW list kind of wrecks it's day though.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
15 Swamp
6 Mountain
1 Dragonskull Summit (Everybody around me has none extra because of extended)
1 Blackcleave Cliffs (Same as above, except everybody wants just to collect the land)

3 Corpse Cur
1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
4 Hand of the Praetors
2 Necropede
3 Plague Stinger
2 Ichor Rats
2 Ichorclaw Myr

3 Throne of Geth
3 Livewire Lash (Fantastic! Even without pump your opponent has to get rid of it somehow. And if a Day, nothing lost, same with Journey, but everything else targets and they'll get poison counters)
2 Lux Cannon
1 Mox Opal (Would love to get more, but nobody has 'em)

3 Galvanic Blast
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Grasp of Darkness

2 Consuming Vapors
2 Assault Strobe (Don't know what to take out for a 3rd)

Actually did really well at my last fnm. I went 4-1 and destroyed vampires, knight weenie, Jace's Erasure (First round), and barely beat Holy armor. I was shut out against RUG Titan control. And I didn't have time to make a sideboard, so I went without.
I did a little B/U infect deck just to be different, I played a few games 1 on 1 and a few multiplayer against casual decks and did suprisingly well.  Lemme know what you all think

4x Ichor Rats
4x Plague Stinger
4x Ichorclaw Myr
4x Thrummingbird
4x Doom Blade
4x Virulent Swipe
4x Distortion Strike
4x Tainted Strike
4x Turn Aside
3x Livewire Lash
4x Terramorphic Expanse
8x Island
9x Swamp

I want to add a few of those Darkslick Shores and Drowned Catacomb for land and maybe skittles if I can get my hands on a few.  Any suggestions would be appreciated
Mayz, i really like the B/U idea.  if my B?G doesnt work out ill definitely go with U.  The one thing i have found is that terramorphics slow me down.  infect is all about speed and eventually over running the opponent and smashing his face.  i dunno, maybe it works better in blue.  anyway, i just got back into magic after taking a break after llorwyn.  i can really only use m11 and scars but here is my little list...

Infect: 21

4x Blight Mamba
2x Cystbearer
3x Ichor Rats
4x Plague Stinger
4x Ichorclaw Myr
4x Putrefax

Buff: 10
2x Garruk Wildspeaker
4x Giant Growth
4x Untamed Might

Other: 9
4x Birds of Paradise
3x Doomblade
2x Sign in Blood 

Land: 20
9x Swamp
9x Forest
2x Terramorphic Expanse

any suggestions?  once again, i can only use m11 and scars so im a bit limited.  but i goldfish on turn 5 80% of the time and turn 4 the other 20%.   
sidenote: is there an easy way to link cards on here?  havent figured that out yet.  thanks.

john
I put this in the Black Infect thread but it can go here too. It's all below 4 mana except for Hand of the Praetors. Next on the list to pick up is some Flight Spellbombs and some Trigon of Rages. Flight gets a lot of the hitters through, especially pumped hitters, and Trigon of Rage is a super cheap pump. Two and tap for +3 is nice. Plus you can proliferate with Throne of Geth to charge up those counters.

Monoblack Infect
3x Hand of the Praetors (4 mana)
3x Ichor Rats (3 mana)
3x Contagious Nim (3 mana)
4x Ichorclaw Myr (2 mana, artifact)
4x Plague Stinger (2 mana)
4x Necropede (2 mana, artifact)
4x Vector Asp (1 mana, artifact)

4x Sign In Blood (2 mana)
4x Disfigure (1 mana)
3x Throne of Geth (2 mana, artifact)
4x Vampire's Bite (1 mana)

18x Swamp
2x Tectonic Edge

Sideboard
3x Nihil Spellbomb (1 mana)
4x Duress (1 mana)
4x Doom Blade (2 mana)
4x Marsh Casualties (2 mana, 3 kicker)

Seems like we got a lot of decklists and not a lot of comments, so I'll try to tackle some of these when I get a chance tomorrow. I don't have a lot of experience but I have ideas... ;)

decklist

I like the general idea. However, I'm concerned by the lack of removal in the main. Skinrender should work well with Mimic Vat. Also I'm not convinced that Crypt of Agadeem is needed here; you only have a few black creatures. It's a combo card.

Also, there are really two themes in this deck. There is Proliferate + Counters (Lux Cannon, Carnifex Demon, the Planeswalkers) and there's Proliferate + Poison. The net result is that you have two sets of win conditions: the Demon and the Planeswalkers on one hand, and the Infect creatures on the other. Neither of those is particularly fast or mana-efficient. I'm aware that these two themes do support each other to a degree, it's just that you have few win conditions, and the list looks a bit diluted because of that.

Carnifex Demon isn't a win condition, it's a Control card. You use him as a sweeper that can be tutored up by Liliana who works well with Proliferate. Lux Cannon is the same, although I'm not as convinced of it. Skinrender is interesting, but with no way to reliably get it in the Vat I'm leaning elsewhere.

I'm thinking you're right about the Crypt, I just put them in to experiment but I'm rarely netting more than 1 profit from it.

I love this.  Wow, I love this.  You've actually just won my heart, goodsir - I'm a monoblack player all day long, and this just makes me happy.  It's extremely organic, too, which I can dig.  I also really like the fact that you've got Sorin and Liliana in here (just because I like the Black PWs), but I have to ask - is Sorin intended to be removal on a stick, or just an alternate pseudo-wincon?

Basically this is just a solid MBC list with Infect as its premise.  And I can dig that.

This is a tweaked list of Flores'. I added the Vats, cutting a Cur and going to 61 cards, I don't know what the other cut should be. I also slipped in some silver-bullet removal because Flores said he had difficulty with removing things even when he had Clasps going.

Sorin was 2-of in his list, 1-of Liliana. I switched them; it's a general utility thing but I generally prefer Liliana; with discard and proliferate it's not hard to hit Ultimate. 
My list is pretty typical B/G, but kinda built around Mimic Vat.

The deck is... OK. I've yet to build up the nerve to take it to FNM. It's fun, though.

All the Infect dudes are built around Mimic Vat. Recurring Cur is pretty funny. 
This is my mono green infect deck. I tend to win by putting all 10 poisons on the oponent in one turn.

Creature: 9
Blight Mamba x3
Tangle Angler x2
Putrefax x4

Spells: 19

Cultivate x4
Harrow x4
Vines of Vastwood x4
Withstand Death x4
Primal Bellow x3

Equipment: 9

Livewire Lash x4
Strata Scythe x3
Infiltration Lens x2

Artifact: 2

Mimic Vat x2

Land: 21

Verdat Catacombs x4
Forest x17

SB:

Nature's Claim x4
Wing Puncture x4
Slice in Twain x4
Tel-jilad Defiance x3

Infiltration lens and Tangle are a great card draw engine. I run a low creature count but by land ramping does thin the deck out very quickly so I usualy have a creature out before it is to late. I do have a set of lotus cobras. Do you think i should put those in for early equipment in play or an early putrefax. And if so what should i replace for it. The Withstand death is good for getting putrefax to surivive first strikers and keep others alive from wrath and doom blades. It is also a cheap spell to get live wire to activate. Also any sujestions on side board would be nice. I was thinking about Side boarding Asceticism for alot of spot removal.
I'm surprised no one has posted a Green/Red infect deck yet. Not so long ago my favorite deck was a Warrior Tribal deck that made room for Bloodbraid Elf in order to cascade into Giantbaiting pumped by Bramblewood Paragon, conspired by Paragon and Nettle Sentinel or Twinblade Slasher. Four mana for a pair of 5/5 trample and a 3/2, all with haste? Yes please, and would you like to play again?

Turn 4 wins were fairly common. Games rarely went beyond turn 6. It's still fun in Extended games...

My current deck is Green and Artifact infect creatures backed up by a splash of Red. It beats that deck by a turn. A 1/1 infect creature for 2 mana attacks on turn 3, enhanced by Assault Strobe and pumped +4 to 5 damage twice by a kicked Vines of Vastwood or a landfall-enabled Groundswell. Ten poison counters for you, good game.

The deck:

3 Arid Mesa
7 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
3 Verdant Catacombs
(22 Lands)

3 Birds of Paradise
4 Blight Mamba
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Necropede
3 Cystbearer
2 Putrefax
(20 Creatures)

4 Assault Strobe
Burst Lightning
4 Groundswell
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Vines of Vastwood
(18 Instants/Sorceries)

Sideboard (testing in progress)

4 Canopy Cover
3 Corpse Cur
4 Forked Bolt
4 Nature's Claim

The deck is pretty simple and straightforward. It's built towards getting a creature into play on turn 2, and getting it to the opponent, hopefully with a pump spell or two, on turn 3. Two mana for a 1/1 seems like a raw deal these days, but each has an additional ability that makes it difficult for the opponent to block.

Keep 1G open and Blight Mamba will survive the combat, if the blocker survives it's a bit smaller and likely to die next time it blocks.

Necropede is fragile but the -1 counter can take down a second weenie or kill a 2/2 blocker. Early in the game your opponent will not usually have anything bigger, so he may let it pass and open himself up to 5+ poison counters in a surpise attack.

Ichorclaw Myr is the star of the show. If it's blocked it becomes 3/3, and if Strobed it can take down almost any wall, titan, or other non-first strike creature. Early game it will usually survive the combat, even without double strike. One poison counter or chump block with your only creature - it's quite a dilemma. Choose wrong and lose now - choose correctly and lose next turn.

The other creatures are backup. A turn 1 Birds enables a turn 2 Cystbearer or turn 4 Putrefax - or at worst, it eats a bolt or blade that could have been used against your infected. Assault Strobe alone on a Cystbearer is good for a respectable 4 poison counters, or 4 damage to a blocker and a good chance it will survive to attack again. Putrefax doesn't come out to play very often, I went down to two in the deck because if I draw one in my opening hand I just keep closing my eyes and discovering it has become a bolt or Myr. But with haste and trample, it only needs to attack once, even if you don't have the mana to pump or strobe it, if the opponent is already infected it is usually a game ender.

Burning the opponent, of course, is irrelevant since you don't care about his Life total. But the one-mana instant-speed bolts allow you to take out a blocker and still have something left to pump your attacker(s). Bonus points if you can remove the creature on your opponent's turn and strobe your attacker on yours.

Eight pump spells perform multiple tasks - protecting your creatures from removal, taking out blockers, and their primary purpose, being super-efficient opponent removal. Assault strobe and either Vines or Groundswell make a 2-3 mana combo that effectively does 20+ points of damage. Many games are ended by a single attack in which the opponent goes from 0 poison to 10. My record so far is 18 poison counters, almost enough to end the game twice over.

This is by far the fastest deck I've ever played. In one day of testing on MTGO I had three turn 3 kills, several turn 4 kills, and I don't know how many times I strobed a 1/1 infected and my opponent let it through only to die immediately when I pumped it to 5/5. It's not perfect, however, and there is certainly room for improvement.

The CMC curve is so tight it can hardly breathe. With only 22 lands for a 2-color deck I'm sure some people would wonder how it could ever win a match. But even without the Birds as color fixing, four dual lands and six fetches essentially give the deck 12 sources of Red and 14 Green. Still, occasionally I have to open with a tapped Rootbound Crag or have trouble finding the second Green mana for Vines. I might try to get hold of four Copperline Gorge to replace the Crags, since they will usually come in untapped and unless I desperately need to cast Putrefax a tapped 4th land is no big deal.

For the most part, though, the mana base seems right. The deck runs well on only three or four mana, two forests and a Crag can be enough to pump a creature or two with both Vines and Groundswell at once. Disruptive strategies like land destruction or discard can hurt it though. And other aggro decks are the biggest danger, as they can usually match creature for creature and the winner is decided by who draws more removal.

And how the removal is used: One opponent bolted my Birds but left the infected creature alone. He was a little confused when I thanked him for it, until I strobed and pumped the attacker, winning the game in a single attack.

The sideboard is iffy, I haven't tested it as much, mostly running single games to get a feel for the deck. Corpse Cur is a little expensive but getting back a Putrefax or even a Myr to cast again is a great advantage if the game goes long. I'd play it main deck if there was room - maybe swap for Putrefax? Canopy Cover is one I'm not sure about, it grants evasion and protects against targetted removal, but I'd feel better if it gave +1/+1 or something to make it more proactive. Forked Bolt is a super-efficient removal spell against weenies like Spawn tokens and Memnites, or can remove a 2/2 Elf Lord or somesuch. There's a similar spell in Scars that does 2-1 damage instead of 2 or 1-1, but at twice the CMC it's hard to fit it in. And of course Nature's Claim because you'll see a lot of artifacts, especially good against other infect decks because they use a lot of equipment and artifact creatures. The Life gain is irrelevant for this deck, so it's a half-price Naturalize.

Any thoughts?
I like the idea of combining Assault Strobe with Infect. I hadn't thought about that yet... Undecided Very cheap, and very nasty with Infect! And it indeed opens the door to all the efficient/cheap red lightning spells...

Tectonic Edge and Birds of Paradise are two cards that I may even consider for my Infect build. Thanks for the idea! Laughing

I also like all your detailed explanation (esp. GoblinWarPainter!), which gives us all a better idea of all the considerations made in removing and adding certain cards in your build.

I myself had already posted my GB Infect deck (Infect XL or InfeXLt) somewhere else here. So instead of cross-posting  it here, I invite you to have a look at it and see how I try to lethally infect my opponents as fast as possible. You can find it here:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Comments are always welcome! Cool
actually, in an older thread, we were working on a G/R version with the Strobe, and we were testing it out.  we all had a slightly different lists, and it seemed not terrible, but after i switched to the mono green version, it just seems so much more consistent, imo.  what's really cool to me though, is that most of these versions of infect.dec can still win on turn 3/4, regardless of color scheme :D
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
Just started playing Magic 2 weeks ago. This is my first deck, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- 2 Withstand Death
- 4 Duress
- 1 Asceticism
- 3 Carrion Call
- 4 Giant Growth

- 2 Hand of the Praetors
- 2 Ichor Rats
- 4 Plague Stinger
- 4 Cystbearer
- 4 Corpse Cur
- 4 Ichorclaw Myr

Since I just got into this game, I don't have many cards to work with, but I do have lots of most of the Infect creature cards. I have some extra Ichor Rats, Blackcleave Goblin and Putrefax that I was thinking of throwing in, but I'm not sure what to replace or if I even need to do that.
I am Blue/Green
Just started playing Magic 2 weeks ago. This is my first deck, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- 2 Withstand Death
- 4 Duress
- 1 Asceticism
- 3 Carrion Call
- 4 Giant Growth

- 2 Hand of the Praetors
- 2 Ichor Rats
- 4 Plague Stinger
- 4 Cystbearer
- 4 Corpse Cur
- 4 Ichorclaw Myr

Since I just got into this game, I don't have many cards to work with, but I do have lots of most of the Infect creature cards. I have some extra Ichor Rats, Blackcleave Goblin and Putrefax that I was thinking of throwing in, but I'm not sure what to replace or if I even need to do that.

Welcome to the game!
You've started off with a very solid list, i'd only make a few changes, take out Carrion Call (too slow) aswell as Withstand Death (Doesn't do what the deck wants; a quick win); probably the Ascetism too.  With that add 2 Ichor Rats 2 Hand of the Praetors and 2 Vampire's Bite / Vines of Vastwood / Groundswell whichever you prefer.
I'm not saying that's a definitive list but it should create quicker and more consistent kills, enjoy.