Can someone explain why the Plant origin is not the worst

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
It has vulnerability to fire 5. Every other origin (except Seismic) gets too good traits while the plant gets an average trait and one that will kill it faster.  Makes no sense.

JesterOC 
1: It has Con as a primary trait. This gives you more HP.
2: It has Fort as a bonus, and is primary in Con, which buffs Fort. You'll start with a 17 Fort. That's massive.
3: Con is the primary trait for Heavy attacks, which deal more damage

And... their Novice power is BRUTAL.
Close burst 2 enemies only?

Compare to the hawkoid.
Yes, it gets flight, with an attack penalty.
And NOTHING else.
It has a close burst 2 attack. That hits allies.
It's also Wisdom based, which is good for NO weapon attacks.

Hawkoid is worse than Plant.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Photosynthesis
More importantly, when the shooting starts you can pretend to be a terrain feature until it stops.

Photosynthesis

Actually, this isn't a bad thought. We've got at least a few people talking about using Survival Days (from Dark Sun) as barter trading units, so maybe being a plant is actually useful if you can just get by with sinking your roots into the dirt.

... unless you're in Settle.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Even if the plant origin were the worst, so what? Unless every origin has the same traits and the same powers, there's always going to be a few that people perceive as less well-off. But that happens in real life as well. Some people have slow metabolism. They have to learn to live with it. I'll choose Gamma World over Utopia any day.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
1: It has Con as a primary trait. This gives you more HP.
2: It has Fort as a bonus, and is primary in Con, which buffs Fort. You'll start with a 17 Fort. That's massive.
3: Con is the primary trait for Heavy attacks, which deal more damage

And... their Novice power is BRUTAL.
Close burst 2 enemies only?

Compare to the hawkoid.
Yes, it gets flight, with an attack penalty.
And NOTHING else.
It has a close burst 2 attack. That hits allies.
It's also Wisdom based, which is good for NO weapon attacks.

Hawkoid is worse than Plant.

But the novice attack is an encounter, if it was at-will I would reconsider.
Also the Giant gets about the same thing but Instead of a vulnerability to fire, he gets to move at normal speed when he is using heavy armor.

Palmerkun makes a pretty good case for Hawkoid being worse than Plant. Hawkoid's Novice power is also an Encounter, and their at-wills will stink.

But, more to the point, GW is simply not that concerned with game balance. There's always going to be an origin which is worse than all the others. Buff Plant and some other origin will become "the worst."

If you roll up a Hawkoid/Plant and you hate your character, just charge the nearest Eradicator Mk III and that ought to get you a new character in time for the next encounter. In the meantime, have a little fun with him.

If it was my group, various other party members would be picking off pieces of you, rolling it up, and smoking. But then, I am in California. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
If the Plant's novice power was an at-will, it would be utterly insane. CB2 that targets only enemies? that's nuts.

Also, you're overlooking one of the best things about the Origin: You're a sentient plant, and that's just plain awesome.

As a nice bonus, I'm pretty sure that when you play a Plant/something, you get to make as many Little Shop of Horrors references and bad plant puns as you want without anyone at the table hitting you for it. If that's not a powerful trait, I don't know what is.
As a nice bonus, I'm pretty sure that when you play a Plant/something, you get to make as many Little Shop of Horrors references and bad plant puns as you want without anyone at the table hitting you for it. If that's not a powerful trait, I don't know what is.

I forgot about that!

Clearly Plant is overpowered and broken. Where's the errata?
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Leaf me alone.
Time to Leaf.
Putting Down Roots.
My Bark is worse than your bite.

There is one major down side to being a plant beyond fire vulnerability however.

The vast majority of species consider you edible.
What if your plant is also Android or Seismic?
What if your plant is also Android or Seismic?

Exactly.

Plant, by itself, may not be so hot.  That's why there's a second origin, which may make a part Plant character workable or maybe even really awesome.

Personally, I'd feel sorry for for any character that has both of its' origins come from the following list:  Empath, Hawkoid , Hypercognitive.
Those would be the wis-cha origins with no at-wills? Correct?

Yeah I can see those being problematic. 
Indeed.

Without getting lucky on at least one of your other ability scores during character generation, combat at first level will look something like this.

Round 1:  Novice power 1
Round 2:  Novice power 2
Round 3:  Alpha Mutation
Round 4:  Omega Tech
Round 5+:  ... Frak.
Those would be the wis-cha origins with no at-wills? Correct?

Yeah I can see those being problematic. 

Personally I am rooting for Pyrokinetic Plant.

Vulnerable 5 but with resist 10 fire. I'd be the burning bush in a constant quest for my Moses!
Personally I am rooting for Pyrokinetic Plant.

Vulnerable 5 but with resist 10 fire. I'd be the burning bush in a constant quest for my Moses!

Yeah, Billdownawell has already played "Dave the Burning Bush" in one of our games here.

He gets a lot of plants -- Dave the Cactus, Dave the Tree, Dave the Animatronic Daisy...

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

I just ran the first two encounters in the rulebook for three of my friends. They were a psychic cat a giant cockroach (who used part of his keel boat for a shield and the mast as a heavy weapon) and an electrickinetic plant (with a giant boombox for a melee weapon)! 

Great times were had. 
Show
95225981 wrote:
I am running a campaign that involves a BBEG whose soul was trapped in a gemstone (Trap the Soul Spell). The spell itself has a duration that is either permanent or lasts until the gem is broken, thus freeing the trapped creature. Problem is, the DM guide and Players Manual (both 3.5 ed) have stats for all sorts of items, just not gemstones. Can anyone help me out with the hardness and hitpoints of gemstones? Oh and the gems can be virtually any type (the stone has to be worth at least 10,000 gp because the soul encased in the gem has 10 HD). Thanks in advance.
57030488 wrote:
I agree with BlueBlazer. In this case the gem should have a hardness of PLOT and PLOT hp.