Alpha Mutations (use out of combat)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm looking through my cards again I got to wondering how I'm going to handle players that use an Alpha Mutation similar to Object Reading out of combat.

Pg 67, Alpha rule #3 states, "You can use each card's power once during an encounter while that card is readied. ..."

Object Reading
overrules this in it's text with "You can use this power each turn while this card is readied." As a non-combat oriented card, this brings up that nebulous issue of how much time do you allow the players to run around using a power out of combat.

Omega Tech is easy enough to ajudicate and explain as you can say the charge burns out. But in the case of the muation above it's not quite so clear cut. I suppose you can attribute it to fluctuating mutation but I can see a player getting frustrated.

This is definitely something that will be in the back of my mind when my group dives in this weekend.

Use the D&D "until end of encounter" rule, which is that anything that lasts "until the end of the encounter" has an actual duration of 5 minutes.
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
So I'm looking through my cards again I got to wondering how I'm going to handle players that use an Alpha Mutation similar to Object Reading out of combat.

Pg 67, Alpha rule #3 states, "You can use each card's power once during an encounter while that card is readied. ..."

Object Reading
overrules this in it's text with "You can use this power each turn while this card is readied." As a non-combat oriented card, this brings up that nebulous issue of how much time do you allow the players to run around using a power out of combat.

Easy answer: Do whatever feels right and reward player creativity.

Look at the starting gear listing for "Duct Tape." If a player can talk you into it, just say yes. And you should usually say yes because sorry, Object Reading is not so badass that you need to restrict it.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.