Will there be a certain "race" that you are constantly?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know about all the crazy things like constantly changing alpha mutations, but are there base mutations that you will have throughout the whole game?
Yeah, you have two origins that you roll randomly when you first create your character and they will stick with you that character's entire lifetime.

However short that may be!

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Yeah, you have two origins that you roll randomly when you first create your character and they will stick with you that character's entire lifetime.

However short that may be!

Wait..What..Random....
Welcome to Gamma World.

If you find something that ISN'T random... it's probably a typo
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!

Wait..What..Random....

To quote from the book:

"We think the game is the most fun when you roll your two origins randomly and live with the results.  If that's too random for you, try this:  Roll one origin, and then choose another origin that you think compliments it (or choose one first and then roll the second.) If you really want to play something specific, ask your Game Master if you can pick your origins.  But you're a big chicken."  p 35, Rolling or Choosing Origins?

So it's highly recommended to randomly role both of your origins, but it's still up to you and your GM to determine if players can roll or choose.

And yes, the book really does call you chicken for wanting to select both of your origins.
I did love the comment about being a chicken

My group ended up with an amusing grouping:

Android Rat Swarm (aka Rat-Voltron)
Hypercognative Gravity Controller
Mind Coercer Mind Breaker (Aka, 'The High-School Gym Coach')
Radioactive Yeti (Who was literally too dumb to live. His Int is a 3)
I really want to play a toadman. But I don't want to pick my origins by hand 'cause that's lame.

Are there toadmen?

I really want to play a toadman. But I don't want to pick my origins by hand 'cause that's lame.
Are there toadmen?

You can probably (re)flavor nearly any origin to include "toadman."

Caoimhe Ora Snow

There's no actual toad origin.
However, you could just say whatever you roll up is a toadman and just have no special toad-traits.

Also, origins are VERY "loose". Like hawkoid... while it implies hawks, it really just means "flying thing".

A seismic hawkoid could be a gargoyle (which looks nothing likie a bird), while a rat swarm hawkoid could be a cloud of mosquitoes. An android hawkoid could be a robot with a jetpack.

In the book they say a rat swarm felinoid could either be a swarm of rats that operates in feline shape (like a panther), or it could be a swarm of kittens.

If I was going to pick origins for a toadman, I'd go with some combination of Giant, Gravity, and/or Radioactive... optionally with any of the Psi origins like Mind Breaker.
None of these really dictate that you look like an animal, so you can make yourself whatever you want. Giant and Radioactive are perfect for giant toads - Gravity makes you immune to falling.

Or you could go Hawkoid-Gravity. Call the hawkoid flight "Jumping", combined with your immunity to falling, and you can literally jump as high and far as you want
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
There's an amphibious origin on one of the lists.
There's an amphibious origin on one of the lists.

Where?  Not seeing it as an origin in the core book, or on the list for the second expansion that was posted not to long ago (www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...).
Sorry I went back and checked myself, Turns out I imagined it.

Too bad, that would be cool.

Amphibious + Ratswarm = Piranha  
I think he may be referring to one of the Alpha Mutations that comes in the box.

5. Aquatic Adaptation (Bio)
All that time you spent in the tub as a youngster is finally paying off!
Benefit: You can breathe water, and you gain a Swim speed equal to your speed
Overcharge: At any time, you can roll a d20;
10+: While this card is readied, you can mentally communicate with fish within a mile of you;
9 or less: While this card is readied, you think you can mentally communicate with fish within a mile of you.
Sorry I went back and checked myself, Turns out I imagined it.

Too bad, that would be cool.

Amphibious + Ratswarm = Piranha  

No worries Rampant.  I was kind of hoping you might have found a leak to the third list of origins.
Here's my off-the-cuff take, inspired by the Giant Toad stat block.

Amphibian

Mutant Type: Dexterity; Bio; +2 to bio overcharge.
Skill Bonus (Level 1): Gain a +4 to Nature checks
Swim Speed (Level 1): You have a swim speed of 6
All-Around Vision (Level 1): You are never surprised.
Amphibian Critical (Level 2): When you score a critical hit, you let out a croak of triumph which dazes any creature adjacent to you until the end of your next turn.

Grasping Tongue (Amphibian Novice)

This thing isn't just for show, baby.
At-Will • Bio
Minor Action Melee 3
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity + your level vs. Ref
Hit: The target is pulled 2 squares.

Prodigious Leap (Amphibian Utility)

Gotta go.

Encounter • Bio
Move Action
Effect: You jump your speed, shifting through enemy squares as long as you end in an unoccupied square.

Swallow (Amphibian Expert)

I don't know what's more disgusting, that you can swallow a man whole, or that you would want to.

Encounter • Bio
Standard Action Melee 1
Target: One creature of your size or smaller
Attack: Dexterity + your level vs. Ref
Hit: The target takes 2d10 + your level physical damage and is removed from play until the beginning of your next turn. It cannot take actions during this time.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
Um does never surprised mean always acting in a surprise round or simply not granting CA during such a round.

Or is that an actual Gammaworld condition? 
My group ended up with an amusing grouping:

Android Rat Swarm (aka Rat-Voltron)
Hypercognative Gravity Controller
Mind Coercer Mind Breaker (Aka, 'The High-School Gym Coach')
Radioactive Yeti (Who was literally too dumb to live. His Int is a 3)

I just playtested the Freesboro adventure.  We did random origins, but I instituted a rule that no two players could have the same origin (and I'm glad I did, or we'd've had three Siesmics).

The results were:

Electrokinetic Android
Seismic Hypercognitive
Hawkoid Plant
Cockroach Giant
Pyrokinetic Engineered Human
Mind Breaker Rat Swarm

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Hawkoid Plant
Cockroach Giant

Nice :D
Um does never surprised mean always acting in a surprise round or simply not granting CA during such a round.

The rules are somewhat vague on certain things. The GW book includes a boiled down version of standard 4E rules, but doesnt include such things as Bull Rush, Grab, Charge, and other things that players often want to use. I don't believe surprised was one of the conditions listed.

But don't let that stop you - Stealth exists in the game as a skill, but there arent really any rules on it. So just use standard 4E stuff if something comes up thats not in the GW book. Thats what my group is doing.
Here's my off-the-cuff take, inspired by the Giant Toad stat block.

Amphibian

Mutant Type: Dexterity; Bio; +2 to bio overcharge.
Skill Bonus (Level 1): Gain a +4 to Nature checks
Swim Speed (Level 1): You have a swim speed of 6
All-Around Vision (Level 1): You are never surprised.
Amphibian Critical (Level 2): When you score a critical hit, you let out a croak of triumph which dazes any creature adjacent to you until the end of your next turn.

Very Nice. Hope you don't mind me stealing that for my list of custom origins. I've got about 10 on the list now of my own. (Though now that I'm aware of the Far-Go list, I guess its 9, since Extraterrestrial will be getting replaced by the official 'Alien' origin.)

I would say, yes, a character with All-Around Vision always acts in the surprise round.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List

I would say, yes, a character with All-Around Vision always acts in the surprise round.

Maybe it would be better to use the D&D rule for "all-around vision" which is: "Enemies can’t gain combat advantage by flanking a creature that has all-around vision."

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Now that you mention it, I don't think GW even has surprise rounds. So sure, that's a good idea. Use Oraibi's version.
Page 82 "Surprise!"
Page 82 "Surprise!"

Rulebooks are for sissies.

Just kidding. This is what I get for not looking things up. 
Page 82 "Surprise!"

Rulebooks are for sissies.

True, the Rulebook / Sissy origin mix is pretty darn good. I particularly like how nice the Rulebook's Obscure Reference attack works with the Sissy's Whine About It utility power.